Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Officially Official: 2012 BMW 1 Series coupe and convertible take a bow

11 posts in this topic

Officially Official: 2012 BMW 1 Series coupe and convertible take a bow

by Steven J. Ewing (RSS feed) on Dec 15th 2010 at 6:00PM

1-series-630.jpg

BMW recently pulled the wraps off of its hot new 1 Series M Coupe, but this new addition to the automaker's least expensive range isn't the only changes on tap for the 2012 model year. Both the coupe and convertible versions of the 128i and 135i receive modest upgrades for 2012, including very, very slight styling updates and a new powertrain for the 135i.

Up front, 1 Series cars equipped with Xenon headlamps (optional on 128i, standard on 135i) receive a new horizontal LED eyebrow to complement the corona running lamps. Out back, newly tweaked taillamps use LED running lamps similar to those on the rest of the BMW product line. The 1 Series also gets a tweaked M Sport package that includes an aero kit (standard on the 135i), increased top speed limiter and more sporting suspension geometry. Additionally, M Sport cars are fitted with sport seats and M-branded interior trim components.

Much like its older brother, the 3 Series, the 135i is now powered by BMW's N55 3.0-liter inline-six which uses a single twin-scroll turbocharger to produce 300 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque. In addition to the standard row-it-yourself six-speed transmission, the 135i can now be had with BMW's seven-speed DCT that first debuted in the Z4 roadster. Fitting this new engine means that the 135i Coupe can run to 60 miles per hour in five seconds flat with DCT and 5.1 seconds with the manual (add 0.3 seconds to those respective times for the droptop 135i). The base 128i continues to use the naturally aspirated 3.0-liter mill found in the outgoing model, rated at 230 hp and 200 lb-ft and paired with six-speed manual or Steptronic transmissions.

Pricing for the 2012 1 Series will be revealed closer to the car's on-sale date in the Spring of 2011, and we wouldn't expect the current base price of $29,450 for the 128i and $36,350 for the 135i to change much. Follow the jump for BMW's exhaustive press release that details the full host of changes.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/15/officially-official-2012-bmw-1-series-coupe-and-convertible-tak/

BMW UPDATES 1 SERIES COUPE FOR 2012

By Andrew Ganz

On the heels of its recently-announced 1 Series M, BMW has confirmed a handful of upgrades for the 2012 version of its standard 1 Series.

Like the M-enhanced 1 Series, the 128i and 135i coupes gain new front fascias that incorporate BMW’s unique Air Curtain, a design that enhances airflow over the wheels to reduce aerodynamic resistance. The design is integrated into both the 128i’s standard front fascia an the M Aerodynamic Kit that comes standard on 135is. BMW hasn’t said if the design improves its EPA fuel economy rating, however.

Two 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder engines return. 128is are powered by a naturally-aspirated 230-horsepower, 200 lb-ft. of torque motor mated to either a six-speed manual or six-speed Steptronic automatic transmission. The 135i, on the other hand, will continue to offer a 3.0-liter twin-scroll turbocharged inline six that puts out 300 horsepower and 300 lb-ft. of torque. Its turbo system helps it achieve maximum torque from just 1,200 rpm to 5,000 rpm. A six-speed manual is standard, while a seven-speed dual clutch automatic is optional.

Inside, the 1 Series is mostly carried over, although a new interior package featuring a gloss white trim is added to the options list for both models. The front seats add active head restraints for increased safety in rear impacts.

The 1 Series’ audio and Bluetooth system has also been upgraded, although the changes apply to late 2011 model year cars, too. BMW’s iDrive system can now access emails, text messages and notes on connected Blackberry devices, while the iPod connector has been simplified. Album cover art is now displayed through the 1 Series’ dashboard-mounted display.

BMW hasn’t announced pricing for the new cars, which are set to go on sale in Spring of 2011.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-1-series-2012.html

2012 BMW 1-Series Coupe And Convertible Preview

bmw-1-series_100333868_m.jpg

Hot on the heels of last week’s unveiling of the new BMW 1-Series M Coupe comes the first details on the 2012 BMW 1-Series Coupe and Convertible, both of which have been subtly updated for the latest model year. Set to go on sale in the spring of 2011, the new cars get some very modest styling updates and a new straight-six engine for the range-topping 135i variants.

The new design of the cars’ front fascia includes BMW's ‘Air Curtain’ design that counters turbulence near the wheel arches and so reduces the aerodynamic resistance of the vehicle. The head and tail light clusters have also been slightly redesigned, while the interiors of both the 1-Series Coupe and Convertible receive new switches and controls have a more refined look and feel.

Once again, two models are offered for the U.S. market: the 128i and 135i.

Powered by a 3.0-liter straight-six engine that generates 230 horsepower and 200 pound-feet of torque, the 128i variants of the 1-Series Coupe and Convertible feature BMW's Valvetronic throttle-less intake technology and aluminum/magnesium construction-core elements of BMW's EfficientDynamics.

The 2012 BMW 135i models, meanwhile, feature BMW's newest iteration of its popular 3.0-liter straight-six engine. Equipped with a single, twin-scroll turbocharger and BMW's Valvetronic throttle-less intake technology, the engine produces 300 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque. Referred to internally as the "N55", the engine reaches peak torque at 1,200 rpm and maintains peak torque all the way to 5,000 rpm.

link:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/pictures/1052585_2012-bmw-1-series-coupe-and-convertible-preview_gallery-1#100333868

Mild Updates for 2012 BMW 1-Series Coupe and Convertible

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 15, 2010

2011-BMW-1-Series-02.jpg

The recent presentation of the range-topping BMW 1-Series M Coupe has been followed up by the unveiling of the regular 2012 model year 1-Series Coupe and Convertible models. There are no mechanical changes for the updated models (the 135i received the N55 twin-scroll turbo engine in Spring 2010), with BMW turning its attention on some subtle design modifications and improved aerodynamics, as well as on refinements to various controls plus new exterior paint colors, upholstery and interior trim.

New exterior design accents are limited to the reworked headlights and rear lights with LED strips, fresh styles for the 17-inch alloy and 18-inch alloy wheels and the addition of two new paint finishes, Vermilion Red and Marrakesh Brown.

BMW's designers also re-sized the vertical ventilation slits in the front apron to channel air into the wheel arches and create what they describe as an “air curtain” or aerodynamic screening effect across the face of the front wheels. The Bavarian firm claims that the change significantly reduces drag in this area.

Inside, buyers of both the coupe and convertible models will be greeted by new interior trim features and upholstery options. In addition, BMW has added a new sports leather steering wheel with shift paddles and an M leather steering wheel, again with shift paddles, to the cars' options list.

Other changes include the new markings on the DSC button in the instrument panel as the letters DSC (Dynamic Stability control) have been replaced by a new international symbol, while the light control center and the climate control panel in the center console now feature a chrome edging.

In the U.S., the 1-Series Coupe and Convertible will continue to be offered with a choice of two powertrains, a 3.0-liter naturally aspirated inline six with 230HP and 200 lb-ft of torque for the 128i, and a 3.0-liter inline-six [N55] with a twin-scroll turbocharger delivering 300 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque, for the 135i variants.

The 135i is equipped with a standard 6-speed manual gearbox or optionally with BMW’s 7-speed Double Clutch Transmission (DCT). For the 135i Coupe, acceleration from 0-60 mph [96km/h] is accomplished with the standard 6-speed manual transmission in 5.1 seconds, while the DCT model completes the same sprint in 5.0 seconds.

A 6-speed Steptronic automatic remains optional on the 128i. With this configuration the 128i Coupe runs 0-60 mph in 6.7 seconds, or 6.1 seconds with the standard 6-speed manual transmission.

The updated for the 2012 model year 1-Series Coupe and Convertible models will go on sale in the States this Spring.

LINK:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/12/mild-updates-for-2012-bmw-1-series.html

Just a few weeks ago ..I test drove the 135 with DSG transmission...

it was a very nice 40 grand 2 + 2 ..

I liked it...

If I needed a little 2 + 2 coupe....this little BIMMER would be on my short list..

With the BMW discount as long as you finance with them..40 grand

You might be right that the 1 series M coupe is overpriced....but it was a fun little Bimmer ...or I should say the 135 with DSG that I drove was a nice little car.

Like I said earlier you might be right that its overpriced...but compared to what other german or Japanese brands offer...

I was impressed with the fun little 135 especially with DSG..(I like the technology of that transmission)

Especially after sitting in traffic for 3 hours a week or so back as I drove into and out of manhattan...

This is worth a press release?

No 1-Series is worth 40-grand..... none

I would tend to agree with that, but is a Camaro SS or Challenger Hemi worth $40 grand? Because the 135i can hang with a Camaro or Challenger in a straight line and probably beat them in the corners. For $40 grand though, give me a Genesis V8.

The market dictates the price. Cars are worth what people will pay for them. Now, from a value standpoint that is a whole other situation. I like the premise behind the 1-series as being a small, "light" (even though it isn't much lighter than a 3er), tossable, rwd sports coupe with some balls, but the interior and exterior design aren't what I would like them to be.

The market dictates the price. Cars are worth what people will pay for them. Now, from a value standpoint that is a whole other situation. I like the premise behind the 1-series as being a small, "light" (even though it isn't much lighter than a 3er), tossable, rwd sports coupe with some balls, but the interior and exterior design aren't what I would like them to be.

Well then "the market" has spoken. Sales for November were 1,019 and that was up 40%

The Infiniti G managed just over 4,000

Mercedes C-class about the same

Cadillac CTS 3,700

Even the DTS managed 1,384 and MKS was still ahead at 1,110

I always liked the eager, retro looks of the 1-Series. I'd take a 128i manual, no need for the expensive option packages, imo.