Drew Dowdell

Interactive Review: 2011 Ford Fiesta Hatch SES

I didn't realize the new Fiesta was so spendy...:(

Darn it, I really had high hopes for this little tyke.

Both the Fiesta and the Cruze are too pricey in my view; I can find a year-old Cobalt or Focus coming in off of a fleet with 12K miles on the odometer for just over half the $$$$ of either of these. I guess there is a certain amount of boutique-y cachet about them but it ain't worth the extra dough for an old fart like me.

I've seen ads already for new Fiestas "as low as 11,999!" but should I assume that means no air? To be honest, a new one with air at 13 or 14 is very well priced I think. 20k, not so much. Versa death traps at 15k and up but at least people can sit in the back of a versa. Versa would be a cool car if the interior wasn't ugly and if it didn't drive like crap.

I've seen ads already for new Fiestas "as low as 11,999!" but should I assume that means no air? To be honest, a new one with air at 13 or 14 is very well priced I think. 20k, not so much. Versa death traps at 15k and up but at least people can sit in the back of a versa. Versa would be a cool car if the interior wasn't ugly and if it didn't drive like crap.

All Fiestas have air standard.

Just saw a Cruze LTZ/RS with roof and leather, $24k.

Or buy a Cruze or Malibu... or, at $30 grand, a Regal.

The Regal seems like a raging bargain. I almost hope the Jetta gets wrecked so I have an excuse to get one.

This 24k, 30k for a compact car thing seems to be news to some people, but it isn't new. Go price out a Civic, and you can easily hit 30k. Somehow they manage to sell them though.

• Upvote 1

The Regal seems like a raging bargain. I almost hope the Jetta gets wrecked so I have an excuse to get one.

Tired of diesel?

Tired of diesel?

I love the mpgs, but the car has some eccentricities, a few quirks that I wouldn't miss. Not enough to make me actively try to get rid of it, but I wouldn't cry if a boulder were to somehow crush it.

This 24k, 30k for a compact car thing seems to be news to some people, but it isn't new. Go price out a Civic, and you can easily hit 30k. Somehow they manage to sell them though.

Hell, doesn't the Fit run into the 20's?

Actually, if you forgo accessories, it tops out just below $25k. I decided to price every single compact to their maximum excluding accessories, appearance packages sport trims, etc. The most expensive were the Focus, Lancer, and Cruze. Cheapest turned out to be the Corolla.

Actually, if you forgo accessories, it tops out just below $25k. I decided to price every single compact to their maximum excluding accessories, appearance packages sport trims, etc. The most expensive were the Focus, Lancer, and Cruze. Cheapest turned out to be the Corolla.

So let's see the chasm of disparity between the prices, post them if you would, since you looked them all up and I can't be bothered. Somehow I doubt 10k separates the competitors.

So let's see the chasm of disparity between the prices, post them if you would, since you looked them all up and I can't be bothered. Somehow I doubt 10k separates the competitors.

It's coming. I'm working on a 'on paper' comparison of sorts. $10k is pushing it, but $6k easily separates the most and least expensive.

Just saw a Cruze LTZ/RS with roof and leather, $24k.

well, dealers are already advertising 2000-2500 off on cruzes, at 22k that's decent. At least that brings it more into line.

I was getting the oil changed on my taurus X today and in the showroom they had a new Fiesta. I had not even sat in one yet so I was very curious about it.

I think the sticker was like 18k and they did not have much off on it. I have to say i was impressed with the EPA rating on it.

I tried to get in the trunk but for some reason I could not. I got in the back seat and the seating itself seemed comfortable but it also seemed tight and claustrophobic in just about every dimension.

This particular example did not have an armrest. I am like 'wtf' why do these carmakers not even put in a simple 100 dollar armrest?

Once I got in front, I did admire the dash design, the touch and feel of some of the surfaces, and the upper door and dash plastic I thought was well done for a cheap car. If the Focus merely matches this I think its not bad. Seat cloth was kind of cheap.

Climate controls seemed flimsy cheap but at least easy to understand. The radio stack was interesting, but this unit had a small display.

View out the front seemed nice. the narrow width of the car seemed prevalent, leg room was provided but it didn't seem like you could sprawl out. Front headroom didn't seem to bad. The seat recliner lever was in a dumb spot. The seat bottom felt a bit chintzy.

I will say it seemed to have a much more interesting cabin than the Fit. I have to admit it seemed like a pleasant cabin. If the Focus is as good or better, than Ford should do well with the Focus. I'd be a lot more comfortable with this car 2 grand cheaper though. an 18k sticker on a nice penalty box is still a hard paradigm change when the next class and two up is not that much further out of reach and gives you so much more.

I thought I did have was if I was single or just in high school or college, and not making many trips, the small size of the car would be totally ok. easy to park, etc.

It will be interesting to see how the Sonic hedgehog compares in interior space.

Edited by regfootball

Honesty is fine and very welcome. I just thought the dash was a little nicer than I expected it to be. I might even want to test drive one now.

Edited by regfootball

I've driven the new Fiestas, and they are simply OK. But to be fair, I drive a much more hefty & powerful V6 car everyday, so most anything I test-drive with a 4-cyl engine quickly comes across as buzzy and weak.

My summary: If your budget is capped around $16K for a new car, the Fiesta looks like a decent buy...but your hard-earned $16K won't buy much extra comfort or pizazz in that new Fiesta (no, not even a simple arm rest for the front!) Among $16K cars, however, it's probably the "nicest". Now, if your budget is closer to $18K, then you've just moved into another league, and a new Hyundai Elantra or KIA Forte are immediately more appealing.

Edited by jlgolden

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook