The Dream can't be dead if it's still in my head - Chevy Considers Return Of The El Camino

One year after GM killed the latest reincarnation of the El Camino — the Pontiac G8 ST — we've learned that the "Ute" still may live. And if it does, it'll be a Chevy.

When writing up our story on rumors out of Australia that Chevy would potentially get a rear wheel drive Zeta-platformed sedan, we hinted at our desire to have them also bring over a version of the loved-by-many Holden Commodore Ute — or even the Chevrolet Lumina SS Ute (pictured above) from South Africa. It looks like GM might have been listening.

We've now learned from three sources that the General's product planners are noodling the idea of bringing the "Ute" to the United States. The vehicle would absolutely be a Chevy and would more than likely carry the "El Camino" name.

We're also hearing it will only happen as part of a larger strategy of ensuring sales are high enough across multiple vehicles and brands to ensure success of GM's next-generation RWD platform. Whether this platform will be the much-anticipated Alpha platform expected to underpin the next-generation Camaro, CTS and ATS, or a new version of the Zeta platform remains to be seen.

A source outside of GM but with strong knowledge of GM's future product plans told us they'd expect to see the "Ute" return — if it's fully greenlit — as a 2015 model year vehicle, released in the 2014 calendar year.

Link - http://bit.ly/epKxSs

• Agree 1

It would be nice if Camino could have his vehicle before he's like 75 though.

Insanely slow to do something they've already done all of the groundwork for, but I'm not going to complain too much if it happens.

Besides, as ugly as things are for me right now it may be 2015 before I am ready anyway.

My greatest concern is that this will be some downsized, V6-only, automatic-only, shadow of what they now build.

Thanks for the update, PCS.

You know, I think there's huge market potential for an El Camino if the Coloado/Canyon twins don't get redesigned/replaced. Businesses that use them now probably wouldn't want or need fullsize trucks. A properly priced El Camino V6 would make an ideal delivery/light duty commercial vehicle.

As long as they dont offer it with the V8 only they way Pontiac was going to they could replace the out dated small trucks with a 3.0L V6 base stripper version. This could be GREAT!! Have a base 3.0L WT opt 3.6L LT & LTZ then a 350HP version of the 5.3L V8 as a non SS,LTZ model then offer the most powerful NA 6.2L as the SS. Do 2dr and 4dr versions with the above mentioned mid gate on the 4dr models! The return of the El Camino baby!!! :booyah:

I just don't feel safe getting my hopes up again - at least not yet.

I would not get too excited yet. With the world economy and the claim of 2014 into a lot can happen.

Dude I hope you wish comes true. This car is long over due.

With the limited nature of the Zeta sedan imports I suspect they Colorado will still be replaced with another small truck. This just suppliments the market with a different option. If they had not killed the Camino in the first place I would have never bought a S-10 if I had the option.

Insanely slow to do something they've already done all of the groundwork for, but I'm not going to complain too much if it happens.

Besides, as ugly as things are for me right now it may be 2015 before I am ready anyway.

My greatest concern is that this will be some downsized, V6-only, automatic-only, shadow of what they now build.

Thanks for the update, PCS.

If it's decided to go on Alpha, then 2015, however I would prefer to see it go on an updated Zeta platform first and then migrate to the Alpha platform later. If it goes updated Zeta I would say 2013. As you know Camino, I usually get my way. BTW, who is this PCS you keep referring to? :smilewide:

• Agree 1

might not make a bad car / el camino / medium duty commercial van platform

I just see little mind set buy most companies to buy one of these for comercial use.

It will not be all that cheap and I suspect it will come with most of the options. Since it more than not would be imported in limited numbers it would not be found at the same pricve as a base pick up truck. Even today you can get a Silverodo LT cheap.

This car will be for the Camino's that want a car with good performance, ride and styling but still able to haul a small load.

Now if it were to be built here on a shared line in the Alpha platform with a wide range of options and engines it would be sold in a comercial edition. That is if they could price it right.

Remember GM's new deal is to make money on ever car.

Edited by hyperv6

With this news and the (right)Thinking that they need #'s to get the RWD program to the dealers we may see the whole Holden line in the States(wagon :AH-HA: ) makes sense as we've been saying for soooooo long as in the Chevelle program :booyah:

To do that right, more production capacity would be needed (Oshawa?). That is something that should have been done many years ago.

If it's decided to go on Alpha, then 2015, however I would prefer to see it go on an updated Zeta platform first and then migrate to the Alpha platform later. If it goes updated Zeta I would say 2013. As you know Camino, I usually get my way. BTW, who is this PCS you keep referring to? :smilewide:

My preference would be to see it happen on Zeta as well, that platform is still too good to waste. A migration to Alpha later I'm not so thrilled by, because I find Zeta to be perfectly sized.

My preference would be to see it happen on Zeta as well, that platform is still too good to waste. A migration to Alpha later I'm not so thrilled by, because I find Zeta to be perfectly sized.

Agreed...I like the size of Zeta for any bodystyle..my concern is Alpha will be too small and light and V6 only.

One thing that perplexes me is the timing. Why so long Sally?

GM gave several reasons for the SS sedans delay I am sure they would say the same for this. I can't recall them but they are out on the web.

I wonder if this could be an Alpha with the delay? I would be odd to bring it here for a year or two and then change it. The Camaro is due also as a 2015 if it is not late. These cars could share a lot.

I do not see the Alpha as a bad thing. It would still be a larger car since they have made it clear the CTS will not be a Alpha. It would also be lighter and get the update of everything. I also see it being around longer at the start of a cycle vs the end of one. Also if they could build it here it could make it more flexible to meet profit needs. It could be built where ever it makes the most money.

I thought the Alpha was going to be a compact RWD platform, for the ATS--a 3 series sized model around 3500lbs.

There has been talk on here and elsewhere of an evolved lighter Zeta II for the larger cars...assuming GM plans to keep building RWD models for OZ, NA and elsewhere (assuming they don't give up and make only FWD appliances for the mid-size and full size models).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I don't see a new El Camino being sold to business fleets. It will more likely be sold with upscale trim. That is why we need a new compact pickup truck.

El Camino was not killed because of the presence of a compact truck. The LUV came out in 1971, I believe, and S-10 in 1982. They sold to different customers, and a revival would sell to largely the same customers as those of the earlier incarnation. The El Camino is not truly a work vehicle like a pickup truck is. It is somewhat utilitarian, to be sure, but with an emphasis on street style, not ruggedness.

What you say is largely true, Ocn. And, if a new one is sourced from Holden, almost entirely true due to production constraints. But fleet service is certainly part of the El Camino's heritage - many small businesses used them for years.

If that market were part of the business plan for a new one, it would defintely have to be built locally with much more capacity and some less-equipped trims.

I just see little mind set buy most companies to buy one of these for comercial use.

It will not be all that cheap and I suspect it will come with most of the options. Since it more than not would be imported in limited numbers it would not be found at the same pricve as a base pick up truck. Even today you can get a Silverodo LT cheap.

Companies don't want a big Silverado for use. Show me an auto parts store that uses full size delivery trucks. They either use single cab Colorados, Rangers, or Tacomas. They want something maneuverable. A big truck isn't, even with the short bed and regular cab.

A Ute isn;t exactly small, but it sits lower and is easier to load parts into, get in and out, of and maneuver...bar's set pretty low there. I don't know about the other trucks, but Colorados have the turning radius of an aircraft carrier.

^ Fastenal (not auto, but hand tools & hardware) by me has 3 Rams.

How is a RC, short- or long-bed truck not "maneuverable" ??

I can put my CC/SB truck anywhere- I back it into a single-wide driveway on a one-way, 2-side parking street with no problems- it's not that hard.

Edited by balthazar

I have nothing against Alpha, quite to the contrary, I think it will be an excellent platform for some great cars. Moreover, I think it is tailor-made for Camaro.

I just like the size of the Zeta cars better - it is the size car I am most at home with.

I thought part of the idea of Alpha was that it was able to scale up better than Zeta was able to scale down. Thus you could still get most of the Zeta sized cars onto an Alpha platform without sacrificing size. Only the largest of the Zetas (Park Ave) wouldn't be able to make the switch.

I thought part of the idea of Alpha was that it was able to scale up better than Zeta was able to scale down. Thus you could still get most of the Zeta sized cars onto an Alpha platform without sacrificing size. Only the largest of the Zetas (Park Ave) wouldn't be able to make the switch.

That's awfully hard to say at this point until we know more about Alpha. The wagon, Ute, and Caprice would all be an issue if the Park Ave is, wouldn't they?

Just say Zeta!

Not sure...this is one of the few times bigger might be better. If it goes on Alpha, it would end up a turbo'd four.....

Or it could be a lighter car with improvments and as stated all things to all enthusiast.

I would have no issue with a RWD Tubo 4 with 300 HP. The only thing wrong with mine is FWD. They just have to keep the weight down and the power up. I have learned a good engine is a good engine. Power is power and I have gotten over cylinder envy.

I would not worry too much. If a V8 will fit I you know we will see it even in limited options like a SS.

Not sure...this is one of the few times bigger might be better. If it goes on Alpha, it would end up a turbo'd four.....

The article is saying that the platform is modular enough to expand to accommodate bigger engines and develop larger vehicles.

I am glad GM is doing bottom-up modular platform rather than top down ala the 5er - 7er way.

But the last thing I want to see is GM spending taxpayer money developing a platform that tries to fill too many niches, only to end up a dud of a compromised-to-death mess.

That was called for, seriously.