Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Report: LaHood pushes for total phone ban among truck and bus drivers

Report: LaHood pushes for total phone ban among truck and bus drivers

by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on Dec 20th 2010 at 1:31PM

The U.S. Department of Transportation is looking into a full-on mobile phone ban for commercial drivers while behind the wheel as part of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood's initiative to curb distracted driving. According to Reuters, the move would further impact the four million drivers who are already forbidden from texting while driving.

Last year, driver inattention was cited as the prevailing factor for around nine percent of all large truck crashes in 2009. That number was down from 2008, but not low enough for LaHood or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. While the number of distracted big-rig crashes may have declined slightly last year, the number of fatal bus accidents actually increased from 20 in 2008 to 38 in 2009.

The National Transportation Safety Board reports that of all bus crashes, somewhere between six and thirteen percent can be attributed to a distracted driver. LaHood's proposal will have to endure a 60-day comment period before being finalized.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/20/report-lahood-pushes-for-total-phone-ban-among-truck-and-bus-dr/

>>"...the number of fatal bus accidents actually increased from 20 in 2008 to 38 in 2009.

The National Transportation Safety Board reports that of all bus crashes, somewhere between six and thirteen percent can be attributed to a distracted driver."<<

WOW- 6-13% is nothing to sneeze at !

WAIT..... 13% of 38 is only 4.9 crashes. 6% of 20 is only 1 crash.

YEP.... we need restrictive federal laws (with hefty price tags associated, of course) banning something that is the result of possibly ONE crash.

Insert with this month's car insurance bill : "Did you know that just reaching for your phone while driving increases your risk of a crash by nine times?"

So would reaching for anything in a car, thinking logically. Who foresees a future tech which only allows less than 2 hands on the wheel for a 5 second interval or the fuel cut-off activates?

I don't know which way I fall on this one. I'm a regular bus user and on the occasions I've seen the driver using their phone, they were also making me nervous with their driving.

something will have to occur on the technology end that will enable drivers to have some connection to messages and phones while being little to no hazard for driving. I don't think we have seen the full solution yet, but meanwhile, everyone has a phone. I seriously think the government will go after a full on ban nationally on phones in the car, they will force the phone makers and cell providers to render your phone inactive in a moving vehicle.

A crash happened here in AZ recently..a bus or truck driver was playing w/ his phone and ran over a stopped police car, killing a state trooper...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook