60 Minutes Sun 7pm

Is anyone going to record/tivo this? ^_^

That Caddy looks amazing! :thumbsup:

I'm recording it on my PC. Gotta love having a TV tuner card and the best software for it :AH-HA_wink:

Whatever that car is (though it's not really much of a mystery), it looks INSANE--in a good way :yes:

Brilliant move. This is the only reason I would schedule Bob Lutz to be on 60 Minutes at this time. They picked a high profile destination and a high profile car PREVIEW at the right time. CTS debuts early showing now, release on the streets early summer next year [if possible GM: earlier]. Didn't Buickman tell people to watch this program? This may be GM's first great opening salvo in a great PR battle.

CTS looks like dynamite--not toned down like recent efforts Escalade and DTS. the rear end looks like an awesome classic rear Eldorado update. the front resembles sixteen, escalade, and the dts and sts less. it looks phenomonal. there's still a whole lot more we cannot see of it though.

The swept-back roofline sure looks like a coupe! But it also looks like Sixteen roofline. We will see as it all comes off.

it would be incredible if they showed multiple cars like the Malibu and pickups--but I don't see it happening. What an awesome PR move to improve image. Now those cars with the amazing image features need to make it to the market.

Edited by turbo200

I almost missed it (I was originally thinking 7 PM here in Central time), but I caught it right as they were finishing with talking about the UAW. The stuff we saw was stunning, and I was very happy with how Lutz and Wagoner presented themselves. It gives me hope that they may actually know where they are going.

Edited by mustang84

That was the NG CTS interior too!!

I was staring at that before they walked over to it, then went :omfg:

Not hugely different overall than some of the current Caddy interiors, but looked to have SO much more detail put into it, and not any glaring cheapness or lots of bare empty spots (the STS rings a bell here). Had the new gen GM stereo in it too, so it's obviously production ready.

Guest buickman

Simply more company propaganda against union payscale and benefits. No discussion about the disastrous marketing that has led us to decades of decline in spite of good products. No explanation of the lack of leadership, responsibility, or accountability.

Buickman

Get your mind out of the past and stop whining. The company HAS to be cost competitive to survive. What part of this issue don't you understand?

Simply more company propaganda against union payscale and benefits. No discussion about the disastrous marketing that has led us to decades of decline in spite of good products. No explanation of the lack of leadership, responsibility, or accountability.

Buickman

Guest YellowJacket894

Was this in the first quarter of the show? Because I'm watching now and seeing nothing but some crap about Best Buy and junk.

Yes. It was just before the segment you're referring to.

Was this in the first quarter of the show? Because I'm watching now and seeing nothing but some crap about Best Buy and junk.

Buickman

Actually, a very good point--what else would you expect from the non-demanding little schmucks at CBS? I mean, right before, the anchor was laughing as he talked to a friend of Osama Bin Laden when he said he hopes his son is killed and becomes a martyr...

But still, the hot point was the walk through the design studio, and at least we finally got a glimpse of that!

Buickman

Its not Crossfire; this was a 13-minute piece designed to inform the general public of an aspect of GM we've been discussing for weeks if not months. I really don't know what else you expected, Rick to strap himself to a cross? Perhaps a LaCrosse?

Actually I commented to my wife about their lack of drill down on the point of the martyr stuff. I would have liked to have him probe further to get the basis for the comments. It makes no sense to me.

Actually, a very good point--what else would you expect from the non-demanding little schmucks at CBS?  I mean, right before, the anchor was laughing as he talked to a friend of Osama Bin Laden when he said he hopes his son is killed and becomes a martyr...

But still, the hot point was the walk through the design studio, and at least we finally got a glimpse of that!

I was glad to see the piece, including to hear Mr. Wagoner answer those questions (he seems confident), the visit to the Cadillac advanced design studio, and the footage of the Buick Enclave. But I doubt that it will change the general public's perception of GM, despite saying that GM is building better vehicles than ever. How many times was the word bankrupt mentioned? And all Steve Kroft could say about the Saturn Sky was "It isn't stodgy."

National health care now!

I thought it was a well done segment. As Lutz said "product, product, product!"

I also found it refreshing they showed some UAW workers who seemed to understand the "shared sacrifice" idea. "GM is the horse that pulls our cart"

Hopefully some of the GM workers watched the follow on segment about white collar workers putting in 60-80 hr work weeks for salaried positions. May give some perspective on how other people spend their days while at work. The grass is not always greener...

Edited by BigPontiac

For once a news magazine show that was not doing a piece on the old boob Mikey Moore bashing GM or strapping rocket engines to Chevy gas tanks to show how they blow up.

Who knows it might start a trend of promoting GM vs tearing them down. Well at least we can hope.

The Caddy looked very interesting. I can't wait to see anything on the Impala.

Buickman

Drop your ego already. Because your Plan was childish and stupid and LaNeve and Rick laughed at you - It ultimately is about the product. That Rock called your head never got that.

Drop it and grow up already.

And after 60 Minutes I think fans should be happier.

WOW!

I saw the segment on CBS' 60 Minutes ... and enjoyed the sneak peak at the upcoming Cadillacs.

And, the "we'd be braindead" comment about "to build or not to build" the concept Camaro ... was priceless ;).

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

What's it like to buy your favorite car brand new? Wish I knew...

"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

I missed the entire thing because of storms. Did CBS approach the story with an optomistic or pessamistic attitude? I usually refuse to watch anything CBS does

Overall, I thought last part of the segment was fairly optomistic. I missed the first part though. It kinda irked me that what's-his-name really couldn't say anything else about the Sky other than "it's not stodgy," but otherwise the segment seemed fairly upbeat.

Sharp Sharp Sharp!!!!

Even just seeing the shape of one of those Caddy's under that blue cover ...

I also thought the interview with Rick was pretty good. I know there are a few guys in here who don't care for him , but I still feel he is the man for the job. He says the right things and is very diplomatic.

Things are changing.

Guest buickman

Drop your ego already.  Because your Plan was childish and stupid and LaNeve and Rick laughed at you - It ultimately is about the product.  That Rock called your head never got that.

Drop it and grow up already.

And after 60 Minutes I think fans should be happier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I assure you they did not laugh. Remember, I first approached Bill Lovejoy with what was then called "The Plan - Five Points". I warned him that unless changes in the marketing were made, his "29" pins should be exchanged for "24". How wrong was I?

Subsequently, I met with John Smith who offered $5,000 if I were to sign an intellectual property release. LaNeve came to my Davison office his first week on the job. He agreed to implementation until "Red Ink Rick" killed the deal. So as to your accusation of laughter, you are quite incorrect. If I'm so off base, why did execs from Cowger, Lau, Gerosa, Dewar, Larsen, DiGiovanni, and others continue to invite me to the Ren Cen? After becoming the top salesman in the country, and turning around dealerships, they recognized that I understand how to sell cars.

The holdup to Return to Greatness is the unannounced agenda to move production offshore, own distribution, and sell on the net while delivering at factory owned centers. The rape of the middle class continues...

Buickman

Excellent piece. Very well balanced and fair, it addressed the problems and the implications of a GM Bankruptcy well. This is by far the best, most honest piece on GM I've seen in a long time. It made the long ignored point of just how significant to the overall economy GM is, and addressed the unsupportable nature of labor costs/benefits in a thoughtful and realistic fashion. It also made clear the reality that GM is truly building cars of great quality. I got the distinct feeling that people will get a new perspective on GM,its cars and its problems from this segment. For such a short segment, it gave an honest, comprehensive and fair overview of the current realities of GM. :thumbsup: