July 27, 2007

im at school couldnt watch the video but anyway thats my parents anniversary, and my 2 times great grandpas death date.

I'll admit, the Simpsons hasn't been great since the mid/late 90's, but every now and then, it has an episode that is just awesome. One of its more modern "classics" is the episode where Bart is part of a boy band... The Party Posse. YVAN EHT NIOJ :)

Simpsons were really funny until about five years ago. Sure, I laugh during each episode, but in the same way I'd laugh at a mediocre movie. It seems as if they rely too much on Simpsons-world references, really forced celebrity cameos, and let's-involve-all-the-characters-in-each-episodeitis. Also, the completely nonsensical gags get tiring quickly (isn't that what Family Guy is for?)? Not to mention you can pretty much tell the 'random' characters have three or four total voices. Sad.

There are so many classic lines and gags I remember from the first twelve years, things I and so many others can recall at a moment's notice. ("The pride of the U.S. Air Force, the British-made Harrier jet!", "Me in a nuclear power plant...KA-BOOM!", "Work was hard, so we quit") The past half decade however is a largely mediocre blur.

Simpsons were really funny until about five years ago. Sure, I laugh during each episode, but in the same way I'd laugh at a mediocre movie. It seems as if they rely too much on Simpsons-world references, really forced celebrity cameos, and let's-involve-all-the-characters-in-each-episodeitis. Also, the completely nonsensical gags get tiring quickly (isn't that what Family Guy is for?)? Not to mention you can pretty much tell the 'random' characters have three or four total voices. Sad.

There are so many classic lines and gags I remember from the first twelve years, things I and so many others can recall at a moment's notice. ("The pride of the U.S. Air Force, the British-made Harrier jet!", "Me in a nuclear power plant...KA-BOOM!", "Work was hard, so we quit") The past half decade however is a largely mediocre blur.

Burns: Because of your lack of loyalty, we must give you the plague.

Smithers: Um, sir, I believe you mean the plaque.

Burns: Ah yes, the special demotivational plaque. 'Don't forget, you're here forever.'

I noticed a marked decline in the quality of The Simpsons when Groening started spending all his time on Futurama, which was much funnier than the new Simpsons episodes. The plots are uncohesive and the characters have lost most of their depth and charm. Homer is now just a running gag of physical humor and very forced jokes, whereas back in their golden years he would be funny for very different reasons (That's specious reasoning dad / Thank you, honey!).

The show should end after the movie comes out. I feel that they have just run out of ideas and jokes for the show. I mean.. it's been on for how long? 15 years! They should've ended it at 10 but Fox needs the ratings on Sunday night.

I'm not really excited to see this. I would've been when the show was still funny.

I get the feeling that the movie will be the final sendoff for the show. I agree with Fly, Cspec, and Cadillacfan. The show does have its moments every now and then, but in general the writing really does show a lack of new ideas. I absolutely hate how they ust use Homer for sight gags and nonsensical comments. In "the golden years" he was still an idiot, but everything that came out of his mouth was funny because you really believed that's what he thought. Nowadays everything he says is so calculated and forced.

Probably a lesser talked about loss was that of the Phil Hartman-voiced characters. Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz always had me in hysterics.

I've seriously thought about writing a full script for a 1/2 hour Simpsons episode and mailing it to Fox somehow. I wouldn't want any money for it, I'd just want to see the show be as funny as it once was. I still feel that there has yet to be a show that can touch "golden age" Simpsons, not even Family Guy.

The show should end after the movie comes out.  I feel that they have just run out of ideas and jokes for the show.  I mean.. it's been on for how long?  15 years!  They should've ended it at 10 but Fox needs the ratings on Sunday night.

I'm not really excited to see this.  I would've been when the show was still funny.

Actually, it's in its 17th year, and has been signed on through it's 19th season, 2007-08

Guest YellowJacket894

Actually, it's in its 17th year, and has been signed on through it's 19th season, 2007-08

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2007- 2008? Oh, &#036;h&#33;, I'm Groening out loud here!

:unsure:

Bad joke?

Anyway, I wonder if the term "long in the tooth" means anything to Matt Groening? It's a sad thing, but, please! Give The Simpsons the boot and go on to something else. I don't thnk I would want to be writing the same old book of cliches until I'm 60 and my hair is white.

NERD! :lol:

moving on

Yeah.. I think after Phil Hartman died, the show really lost an important part of what made it so great.

The best Lionel Hutz scene ever:

Hutz: Mrs Simpson, your sexual harassment case is just what I need to rebuild my shattered career! Care to join me in a belt of Scotch?

Marge: But it's 9:30 in the morning!

Hutz: Yeah but... I haven't slept in days. [glug, glug] Last chance! [glug, glug] Ohh yeah!

and this:

Mr. Simpson, this is the most blatant case of fraudulent advertising since my suit against the film, "The Never-Ending Story".

Homer: So. Do you think I have a case?

Hutz: Homer, I don't use the word "hero" very often, but you are the greatest hero in American history.

Homer: Woo hoo!

Guest YellowJacket894

...And Duffman was great. That had to be one very random character.

Duffman: Duffman can't breathe! OH NO!

Duffman: Duffman's pension has been mis-managed...ooooh yeah!

Duffman (After seeing a picture of Moe): That's a mug you don't want to chug!

More McClure quotes...

Troy McClure: Hi. I'm Troy McClure, you might remember me from such driver's ed films as "Alice's Adventures through the Windshield Glass" and "The Decapitation of Larry Leadfoot."

Troy McClure: Hi. I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such self help tapes as "Smoke yourself thin" and "Get some confidence, Stupid!"

And more Hutz quotes...

Lionel Hutz: Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."