NYIAS: Pontiac G6 GXP Coupe Show Car

carsfeverguy-> smaller spoiler and blacked out lights? cool

how bout removing the gm emblem while you're at it?

edit--- noticed you dimmed the wheels too

Edited by loki

When did GM start using Pep Boys as a design subcontractor????  The tacky add-ons look horrible...please Bob, quit letting them kill Pontiac!

I guess they are getting nostalgic for the '90s cladded, overwrought Pontiac look... :)

Or they are trying to attract the kiddies that like the gaudy F&F look...

I don't get it... they had the perfect concept and now they're trying to over do it here... if the grill were more like the orginal G6 concept that would be perfect IMO.. it would also match the Solstice.. btw (Optional Spoiler + Hood please!!)

Posted Image

:blink: Hold on... Exactly what is this car supposed to be? What's that, you say? The G6 GXP Coupe concept? ...Really? Cause... I could have sworn it looks exactly like the SEMA coupe concept. Wait... it is. Alright... I'll ask it... WTF?

Anyways... a horrible grill, cheap interior, ricy spoiler, weird ground effects, and a disappointing engine applied to a bland and weirdly styled coupe with an already disappointing engine... And I'm supposed to think what? Beautiful? Haha... Sorry, this Pontiac fan would rather have a 5th gen Grand Am.

Before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Hope you like

Cars

I like the smaller wing. Move the GXP badge next to the GM badge, a couple inches away. I normally like blacked out headlights, but for some reason this looks funny in this chop. Keep it though. I agree with Decka, use the orginal G6 concept grill's profile. Recessing it would be fine, I think.

Nobody said anything about the lowered ride height, so it must be good.

Well...the red interior trim, wheels and spoiler are nice-but it just doesn't do anything (else) for me-sorry, disappointing.

Ugly rice.

After seeing the original G6 concept the production cars are soooooo disappointing.

This one is worse than anything I've seen from GM lately - NOT the direction Pontiac needs to go. Pontiac needs to have some class and refinement, this thing looks like a clown car.

Ugly rice.

After seeing the original G6 concept the production cars are soooooo disappointing.

This one is worse than anything I've seen from GM lately - NOT the direction Pontiac needs to go. Pontiac needs to have some class and refinement, this thing looks like a clown car.

The production cars are close enough, if you want it closer, I think GM are making accessories grilles which look like the ones from the concept.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...?showtopic=2530

Again, I don't see that big of a difference. We knew a lot of those things couldn't make it to production.

I have to agree with you on the direction the designers are taking is wrong though.

Yeah... well, the differences between the concept and production Solstice are enough for me to complain. Same with the G6 concept and production. Remember... the difference is in the details. GM never gets the details right. Usually ignoring them altogether...

We have to see about that until the Enclave comes. They're learning. Give them some time.

I have been generally pleased with the recent translation from concept to production GM has done, the G6 is a glaring exception. The production cars don't share the perfect proportions and just right lines of the concept at all. The concept is the best looking FWD GM car I have ever seen, the production cars don't even resemble concept IMHO. They are just another OK FWD offering when they should have been a grand slam.

I have been generally pleased with the recent translation from concept to production GM has done, the G6 is a glaring exception. The production cars don't share the perfect proportions and just right lines of the concept at all. The concept is the best looking FWD GM car I have ever seen, the production cars don't even resemble concept IMHO. They are just another OK FWD offering when they should have been a grand slam.

The LaCrosse is another FWD concept to production that I'm disapointed in.

Lord, Pontiac and Lutz just don't get it....!

While I don't agree with Lutz' goal for Pontiac to be an "American BMW".......is THIS an example of what Bob thinks denotes an "American BMW?"

SO out of touch this company is.

For ME, a perfect G6 GXP would be to take the standard G6 coupe (which is a very classy looking car) and add a 18-or-19 inch wheel/tire package and maybe darkened-lense xenon lamps. That's IT.

Enhance the suspension tuning and add the 270hp version of the 3.6L HF V6.

Then, some minor interior mods like upgraded seating, and maybe some contrasting stitching on the leather seats, along with perhaps some (even fake) carbon fibor trim surrounding the (ugly) center stack, shifter, and door switch panels.

You are left with a classy, aggressive, and probably great-driving G6 GXP.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These pictures actually make it look good. There are a lot of good points so far in this thread--no I don't think this is the direction Pontiac should be going or taking the G6 in. However, this does something to add to the visual push of the car. and it might help sell coupes--which I have not seen one!! I don't know why it's not selling well, but it needs help.

I think you guys are missing the point entirely...

The G6 APPEALS to YOUNG people (NOT BMW buyers) I noted that in MY thread that I started a few days ago. Pontiac has ALWAYS been one of GM's most youthful divisions in appeal and execution.

YOUNG people DRIVE Lancers, SRT-4s, Riced out Civics, Cobalt SCSS, Ion RL's, WRX's Altima SE/R's, etc...

This car fits PERFECTLY with THOSE offerings. (Now if GM would just offer AWD)

The fact that it DOES NOT appeal to so many of us die hard GM fans in and of itself could be considered a HUGE success.

Lord, Pontiac and Lutz just don't get it....!

While I don't agree with Lutz' goal for Pontiac to be an "American BMW".......is THIS an example of what Bob thinks denotes an "American BMW?"

SO out of touch this company is.

For ME, a perfect G6 GXP would be to take the standard G6 coupe (which is a very classy looking car) and add a 18-or-19 inch wheel/tire package and maybe darkened-lense xenon lamps.  That's IT.

Enhance the suspension tuning and add the 270hp version of the 3.6L HF V6.

Then, some minor interior mods like upgraded seating, and maybe some contrasting stitching on the leather seats, along with perhaps some (even fake) carbon fibor trim surrounding the (ugly) center stack, shifter, and door switch panels.

You are left with a classy, aggressive, and probably great-driving G6 GXP.

Although I agree with you, I don't think your idiea will sell. The times have changed. Peple want more glitz and extras to make there car stand out. Someone's not going to pay a lot extra if their car looks just like the others. I wouldn't mind it your way, but it;s not what people want. Maybe in the 70s that would fly, but not now. The G6 GXP was executed horribly. They can still add all those things but still make it look good.

I think you guys are missing the point entirely...

The G6 APPEALS to YOUNG people (NOT BMW buyers) I noted that in MY thread that I started a few days ago. Pontiac has ALWAYS been one of GM's most youthful divisions in appeal and execution.

YOUNG people DRIVE Lancers, SRT-4s, Riced out Civics, Cobalt SCSS, Ion RL's, WRX's Altima SE/R's, etc...

This car fits PERFECTLY with THOSE offerings. (Now if GM would just offer AWD)

The fact that it DOES NOT appeal to so many of us die hard GM fans in and of itself could be considered a HUGE success.

I don't like it, and I'm 22 years old.

I wouldn't mind seeing them tone it down a bit. (THe SEMA pix look good---those are the pix I'm referencing BTW) But I certainly DO NOT want GM to NIX this entire project simply because they chose the wrong add ons. I guess THAT'S ultimately what I'm getting at.

Well, that and I think we're going to need something A LOT more radical than a REGULAR G6 with different wheels and a new powertrain for this thing to even REGISTER on most peoples radar. For something like the CTS, which has individuality, subtle performance mods work well. For something like the G6, which while a VERY attractive car, is sort of commonplace and mundane by nature, we're going to need more drastic visual enhancements. This is especially true given what *I think* will be the target audience.

AN EXCELLENT EXAMPLE is the current GTO... Amazing performance bargain! In 2005 GM tried to spice things up by adding SUBTLE appearance mods and an even BETTER powertrain. Despite that AWESOME performance/powertrain, did that subtly moded GTO sell any better???? In order for this thing to make a splash we're going to need more than "tweaks" and motor.

The G6 sedan is lame to me, especially compared to the concept, the Coupe just looks odd... I've seen one up close in person, in black, and the proportions just don't look right. This car seems to just emphasize those faults instead of trying to fix them. That wing is rediculasly shaped too.

photo shops rarely do a car justice. im glad to finally see the real pictures with all the shiny metal and glass. i say it looks a hella lot nicer. maybe i will stop by after all and check em out in person.

the wing doesnt even look as bad as some of the attrocities that are out there. not exactly my style but i think it works. i just wonder how most feel about the scoops. personally, i like em.

i even prefer the sedan over the coupe but this looks more "right" to me for some reason.

The spoiler and the grill both need to be smaller. The hood vents have to go too. Other than that I actually really like this. And I'm someone who hates the awkward blandmobile that is the regular G6 coupe. Too bad the concept still has the same horrible interior as the regular G6.

Edited by 4gm

Can anyone photoshop out the split between the oversized grilles?

I just wonder if it would look better with one whole grille.

... what?!?!?! are you serious?!?!! you do of course realize the car you are refering to is a PONTIAC... not anything else...

as bad as the kidney beans are... at least they keep the spirit of the split grill that pontiac is known for...

i would HATE to see a single grill pontiac... because then it wouldnt really be a pontiac anymore... at all...

and no i dont need anyone showing me sunbird pictures... i know... but i try to ignore that particular car...

as for the car... still looks like bugs bunny + a G35... i dont like it

I'm sorry GM, but I thought "Pontiac" was as close to all-American as you can get? (or at least used to be) It looks as if GM sent their G6 coupe across the ocean to be bastardized by the morons at Mitsubishi "Ralli-Art." This thing looks so overwrought and ricey that I'll bet it runs on soy sauce and uses wasabi paste in place of motor oil.

Way to cheapen your image Pontiac.

who is the son of a bitch that said it looks like it has buck teeth? thats so funny, its all i could think when i saw the pictures. but to be honest when i saw the video of the car, it didnt look as bad...i hope to see it in person at the nyas if i can get myself to go to the javits. i hate uptown, i hate midtown more. i think its worth it though to finally get to see the fiat panda. wait i mean the camaro and challenger.

edit: among others,... especially the fiat panda

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

This car is another reason why Pontiac needs to go away! This is ridiculous.

No GM division needs to go... Pontiac just needs better product. I'd have to say, the Solstice is the FIRST Pontiac car in years that I actually thought was perfect for the division.