2012 Buick Verano Official Release

Drew Dowdell

Exactly.. This car will probably be priced similarly to many midsized family sedans with more room that are cheaper to own but not "quiet tuned", no wood trim, lower end interior materials, and less chrome on the outside.

Don't assume the Verano will have the nice plastic and nice interior. Cart before the horse. I won't believe this as an upscale car until I see it. GM still doesn't consistently deliver knockout interiors. Until you see a truly excellent interior in execution, it's just a tarted up Cruze. The horrific looking plood in the photos and US assembly and sourcing lead me to believe you won't get anything bordering Audi quality inside this thing.

Wow, VW certainly was able to make sufficient legroom for adults in the back of its like sized car, the jetta.

Maybe GM is simply incompetent.

I don't know what you're talking about.... but I'll bring a small measuring tape with me on Monday. The Jetta feels about the same.

Don't assume the Verano will have the nice plastic and nice interior. Cart before the horse. I won't believe this as an upscale car until I see it. GM still doesn't consistently deliver knockout interiors. Until you see a truly excellent interior in execution, it's just a tarted up Cruze. The horrific looking plood in the photos and US assembly and sourcing lead me to believe you won't get anything bordering Audi quality inside this thing.

Century still sold well last gen did it not? And look (and listen to) how horrid GM interiors were in that era. I think it will be ok but definitely a far cry from an is250. Its really a class of its own, for better or worse because of its wood trim and chrome. You won't find that amount of wood,chrome and tan in a compact Mazda, Ford, Honda, VW etc. Different strokes for different folks.

Century still sold well last gen did it not? And look (and listen to) how horrid GM interiors were in that era. I think it will be ok but definitely a far cry from an is250. Its really a class of its own, for better or worse because of its wood trim and chrome. You won't find that amount of wood,chrome and tan in a compact Mazda, Ford, Honda, VW etc. Different strokes for different folks.

Keep in mind that the IS250 starts out at $32,145 whereas the A3 tops out at $30,850 (not including options).

We all need to stop trying to make every new Buick a GNX or a Roadmaster.

This is only a first model and it is targeted at the average car buyer who just wants to get there and have comforts with a little better MPG.

While this is not a car I would buy it is a lot better than I expected at first look. It will be interesting to see how much they have improved on the already good NHV in the Cruze. We will get more models in due time and I would expect some perfromance upgrades too.

As for home run? Time will tell. It is too early to claim home run or failure here. We really need to see this first hand to judge it as this is not just another rehashed Buick like we have gotten over the years. We know the Opel is a good car and we need to see what they did to it to make it a Buick.

The big key is price? Cruze, Regal, Malibu, Lacrosse and the future Impala are all in a very tight price range. It will be interesting to see where this one falls in line. I worry there is not much space between the Chevys higher prices and the Buicks in their normal prices.

Either way this car looks wise proves you can't judge a car well just from the doctored camo pictures. It gives me hope for the Bu yet.

How would crash standards make that window happen?

I'm not seeing the connection.

Pedestrian crash regulations dictate a raised hood to create air between the hood and engine block. My knowledge of this is rusty, but I believe this results in the base of the windshield (where the hood meets it) to be pushed out and up, to create a nice smooth transition when you roll up the hood and onto the windshield. This then pushes the A pillar further out in front of the front wheels, and the door won't line up with it properly.

Can anyone verify this?

Still, I think they could've designed around it - especially since the seem between the front quarter glass and driver's window is pushed further back than the seem between the fender and the door. You could make the upper seam the same as the lower seem and push the mirror forward. With that done, they could either make the A pillar wider add some more curvature to the windshield. Honestly, the front quarter glass gives me the same impression that the black plastic on behind the rear doors on the Cruze does - that the designers just flat out gave up trying to make it work.

which gets back to one of my earlier posts. this is not an A3 competitor, Buick are fools if they think those accustomed to interior bliss that is Audi will get into Cruze Uptown edition and find Audi plastic.

Like I said, this is GM's new Grand Am / Alero whatever. A 'nicer' chevy.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

which gets back to one of my earlier posts. this is not an A3 competitor, Buick are fools if they think those accustomed to interior bliss that is Audi will get into Cruze Uptown edition and find Audi plastic.

Maybe GM can regain some of the Avis/Enterprise sales that were lost w/ the demise of the Grand Am.

Maybe GM can regain some of the Avis/Enterprise sales that were lost w/ the demise of the Grand Am.

basically i can bet you some marketers in Buick want this to be the next big chick car, like the Grand Ams and such were. Not a bad thing really if they rape the purses of young women and sell a lot of them that way.

Edited by regfootball

The Astra interiors look good for an Opel, but I still think a Buick needs plood.

I would be much more on board with the plood if it were decent plood. The Regal's plood isn't bad, but that's German plood. Detroit / GM plood is typically bottom feeder. I have zero confidence it isn't going to look like sht.

NO PLOOD REQUIRED, PLEASE! Maybe they will limit the plood to the tan interior like the Regal, and those of us who think its looks cheesy in this car can buy the trim parts and swap them out with color or metal trim ones.

I really like the plood in the Verano. I think it looks quite handsome. I would be fine if it only came on the cashmere/cocoa trim.

Yeah, last time I checked, Opel competes against Ford and VW, not Audi.

This is a great point and I think more and more car buyers are thinking this way. Having a big engine and a tuned chassis is nice and all on a mountain road, but I don't see how the extra cost is justifiable for most people who just go to work and back. It seems like there was a "horsepower bubble" along with the housing bubble and it's coming back down to earth. I'm sure this car has a higher top speed than you will ever need.

oh dont get me wrong... with the option of more power I would definitely go for the bigger engine.

I am pleasantly surprised at how much I like this car, based on the photos. It looks OK with the 17" rims, but with the 18s it looks great. Love the interior, including the wood tone trim. Prefer it to the silver painted alternative in the Opel pics... for a Buick, that is. Prolly true that the black interior will have metallic trim. Love the nod to the '59 Buick in the angry taillights. They fit and make it distinctive. Also the portholes are a must and suit it perfectly. Like the 2.4, and it will likely exceed those mileage figures in the real world, based on GM's history. Don't like the name, but that's not important in the grand scheme. The 2.0t (GS?) version should be really nice.

Not happy about the limited colour options. Two tan interiors and black. No blue or green exterior...

Should look very classy in all black with the 18s and sunroof. I think this car might hit a sweet spot in the market, actually. Day and night nicer than the Cruze, imo.

If GM is gun shy about 2-door hatches in a premium small car after the Astra debacle, perhaps they will build a coupe for the US. I'd like to see a convertible and wagon, too.

A black coupe 2.0t with a decent roofline and appreciably noticeable decklid would be killer... chop prease?

Edited by ocnblu

I think they got this car mostly right. The rear end is a little odd, and the interior is very similar to the Cruze, but with really fake looking wood. Those are the only problems I see, and most buyers won't even notice or care. I like that they used the 2.4 liter and didn't recycle the Cruze engines, I like features like heated seats, steering wheel, electric parking brake, etc. This car is geared toward the 50-75 year old segment, they will like that it is easy to drive and has soft, warm seats. The senior set won't care about 0-60 or that it gets 31 mpg and not 35.

The direct competition to this car is very limited, the Cruze LTZ is the closest competitor, then maybe a loaded Jetta. The Lexus IS250 is like $10,000 more, so that isn't competition, the A3, Mini, Volvo, or any other small European cars are meant to be sporty and their emphasis is driving dynamics over creature comforts. I think the American market has long needed a luxury geared small car, since there are a dozen sports oriented small cars, but hardly any luxury oriented ones.

Pedestrian crash regulations dictate a raised hood to create air between the hood and engine block. My knowledge of this is rusty, but I believe this results in the base of the windshield (where the hood meets it) to be pushed out and up, to create a nice smooth transition when you roll up the hood and onto the windshield. This then pushes the A pillar further out in front of the front wheels, and the door won't line up with it properly.

Can anyone verify this?

That sounds about right. The pedstrian standard has really challanged the designers with the dimentions they have had to work with. Some are dealing with the bulbus noses well and some are not able to hide them at all.

I think they kept this one a lot better than many I have seen.

That sounds about right. The pedstrian standard has really challanged the designers with the dimentions they have had to work with. Some are dealing with the bulbus noses well and some are not able to hide them at all.

I think they kept this one a lot better than many I have seen.

If that's really the case, then there is a whole lot of ugly in our future!

Friggin' pedestrians!

Friggin' European laws!

Looks like only Holden and GMNA-only designs need apply for me.

Well, yeah.

I always thought it was best to design cars to avoid hitting pedestrians rather than planning crumple zones to deal with the aftermath.

Those regulations are just overkill in the "safety" direction.

Unless you want total automization, then car manufacturers have done all they can in the accident avoidance department. And all those electronic gizmos in cars you don't like? You'll get even more, like Volvo's collision detection system if avoidance is the main concern.

It's up to drivers to not be terrible, and actually watch the road. Unfortunately, that hasn't materialized, and with more people out walking due to proximity to their jobs, transit stop, or environmental consciousness, manufacturers will need to design cars for them too.

Well, yeah.

I always thought it was best to design cars to avoid hitting pedestrians rather than planning crumple zones to deal with the aftermath.

Those regulations are just overkill in the "safety" direction.

A lot of car/pedestrian accidents cannot be avoided by the driver. If a person hops out behind a vehicle, like a truck for example, they can be impossible to see until its too late, and there may not be room to dodge them.

Unless you want total automization, then car manufacturers have done all they can in the accident avoidance department. And all those electronic gizmos in cars you don't like? You'll get even more, like Volvo's collision detection system if avoidance is the main concern.

It's up to drivers to not be terrible, and actually watch the road. Unfortunately, that hasn't materialized, and with more people out walking due to proximity to their jobs, transit stop, or environmental consciousness, manufacturers will need to design cars for them too.

Sorry, but I reject the premise that because drivers in Paris and Rome don't know when to apply the brake, that we should all accept clown-nosed cars to protect people walking the streets of those cities.

It's a solution in search of a problem here. I just don't see it as justified.

Sorry, but I reject the premise that because drivers in Paris and Rome don't know when to apply the brake, that we should all accept clown-nosed cars to protect people walking the streets of those cities.

News flash--there are pedestrians in the US also.

One problem in cities (and shopping mall parking lots, etc) worldwide is the rise of the zombified peds--walking along oblivious to traffic, listening to iPods, playing w/ their phones, iPads, etc..

Another scourge of the roads are the f*cking bicyclists (who need to stay on trails and off the streets/roads, IMO).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Europe's drivers are considerably better than ours from what I've gathered from the several times I've been across the Atlantic. And our cities are slowly beginning to mirror Europe's based on the increase in fuel prices, leading to commuters seeking out pedestrian, or bicycle options in lieu of their vehicles. More pedestrians, more chance of accidents. You're right, it's a solution in search of a problem which is going to make itself apparent in the next few years. This way, we're ahead of the curve.

If that's really the case, then there is a whole lot of ugly in our future!

Friggin' pedestrians!

Friggin' European laws!

Looks like only Holden and GMNA-only designs need apply for me.

You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait till EU make the hood air bags standard. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2007/12/the-truth-about-europes-pedestrian-safety-legislation/

I look at it this way. If you can't get out of the way then we are thinning the heard.

My theory has always been that since air bags, seatbelt laws and helmet laws become manditory the country as a whole has become collectively more stupid. The smart people belted up while the idiots bounced off the windshield. Today those who would have died are now texting and driving.

We are messing with nature and her survival of the fittest plan.

When are we going to make people take responsibilty for themselves. Because of them we have to pay more for ugly cars.

News flash--there are pedestrians in the US also.

One problem in cities (and shopping mall parking lots, etc) worldwide is the rise of the zombified peds--walking along oblivious to traffic, listening to iPods, playing w/ their phones, iPads, etc..

And very few pedestrian/car accidents here compared to Europe where the regulations come from. As for the zombies, they are the source of the problem in whatever measure it exists here. The cars are irrelevant.

We are far too obsessed with passive safety, and far to lean on paying attention in the first place.

Again, I don't see this as justified here in the US.

And very few pedestrian/car accidents here compared to Europe where the regulations come from. As for the zombies, they are the source of the problem in whatever measure it exists here. The cars are irrelevant.

We are far too obsessed with passive safety, and far to lean on paying attention in the first place.

Again, I don't see this as justified here in the US.

Well, automakers can't realistically tool up different front clips for the US market and Europe...I think ultimately automakers need one set of regulations across all markets...would reduce production costs.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait till EU make the hood air bags standard. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2007/12/the-truth-about-europes-pedestrian-safety-legislation/

I look at it this way. If you can't get out of the way then we are thinning the heard.

My theory has always been that since air bags, seatbelt laws and helmet laws become manditory the country as a whole has become collectively more stupid. The smart people belted up while the idiots bounced off the windshield. Today those who would have died are now texting and driving.

We are messing with nature and her survival of the fittest plan.

When are we going to make people take responsibilty for themselves. Because of them we have to pay more for ugly cars.

Amen to that, Hyper!

And, it is about time that we reject rules written for other lands.

Well, automakers can't realistically tool up different front clips for the US market and Europe...I think ultimately automakers need one set of regulations across all markets...would reduce production costs.

Sure they can, and have for years, and do now.

Had to drive that new Taurus again today (what a pile!), now that thing had some nasty plood.

i can't disagree with that either (the plood part).

the plood that was in my old 500 was barely passable. Again, the Regal's plood is not bad but i just don't have the confidence that the plood in the Verano will be of the same breed.

Edited by regfootball

A lot of car/pedestrian accidents cannot be avoided by the driver. If a person hops out behind a vehicle, like a truck for example, they can be impossible to see until its too late, and there may not be room to dodge them.

i had a case of that yesterday. I was stopped first in line at a stoplight. A Huge tall bus was in the lane to my left, blocking pretty much my entire vision in that direction. the light turned green and just about as i was in motion, a pedestrian who was still crossing the street popped out in front of my car as they were still in front of the bus when the light had already turned green! basically had i started 1.5 seconds earlier I would have nailed the pedestrian, and even though there were supposed to be out of the intersection at that time, AND I COULD NOT SEE THEM until they were RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY CAR, it would have been my fault i bet. Just an example of one incidence where it could not be avoided.

i had a case of that yesterday. I was stopped first in line at a stoplight. A Huge tall bus was in the lane to my left, blocking pretty much my entire vision in that direction. the light turned green and just about as i was in motion, a pedestrian who was still crossing the street popped out in front of my car as they were still in front of the bus when the light had already turned green! basically had i started 1.5 seconds earlier I would have nailed the pedestrian, and even though there were supposed to be out of the intersection at that time, AND I COULD NOT SEE THEM until they were RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY CAR, it would have been my fault i bet. Just an example of one incidence where it could not be avoided.

The pedestrian in question was crossing against the light, would have been his/her fault.

This isn't a new GM car. It's a new to the US market car.

True that. Delta 2 variant.

Considering alpha is the first platform after bankruptcy you may stand true, however, alpha's roots were sowed before bankruptcy.

I think it looks alright, though its a rather sedated look. It's sort of melted and droopy, yet modern and classy. Sort of like a miniature, watered down Regal. The interior looks good, though I much prefer the Opel schemes. Verano GS, perhaps?

One thing that has me curious is what vehicles it's supposed to compete with. Acura, Volvo, Saab, Lexus, Infinit, etc. don't really have direct competitors. I suppose that could be an advantage for Buick with those who want an ultra premium compact, and they apparently see a market for it. Makes me wonder, though.

I don't know what you're talking about.... but I'll bring a small measuring tape with me on Monday. The Jetta feels about the same.

Back off topic... The Jetta has noticeably more rear legroom.

I think it looks alright, though its a rather sedated look. It's sort of melted and droopy, yet modern and classy. Sort of like a miniature, watered down Regal. The interior looks good, though I much prefer the Opel schemes. Verano GS, perhaps?

One thing that has me curious is what vehicles it's supposed to compete with. Acura, Volvo, Saab, Lexus, Infinit, etc. don't really have direct competitors. I suppose that could be an advantage for Buick with those who want an ultra premium compact, and they apparently see a market for it. Makes me wonder, though.

Back off topic... The Jetta has noticeably more rear legroom.

that (your affection for the Verano) was vague! Jetta or Verano for you?!?!?!?!?!

Saab 9-2 may be competition for this eventually? I think the S40 is cheap enough to compete with this, isn't it?

If you wait, you can haz a turbo GLI Jetta next year.

Has anyone mentioned how the Verano seats look different than the Opel seats? They appear to be shaped differently.

Edited by regfootball

that (your affection for the Verano) was vague! Jetta or Verano for you?!?!?!?!?!

Saab 9-2 may be competition for this eventually? I think the S40 is cheap enough to compete with this, isn't it?

If you wait, you can haz a turbo GLI Jetta next year.

Has anyone mentioned how the Verano seats look different than the Opel seats? They appear to be shaped differently.

Neither. :P

The seats are certainly different. Not as much bolstering and appear to be much thicker.

Sure they can, and have for years, and do now.

The trend is strongly in favor of the "one world car". One Focus, one Cruze, etc. You'll have to learn to live with bland designs that are appealing in all cultures. Verano fits that bill nicely.