2012 Buick Verano Official Release

Drew Dowdell

car and driver's test of the Malibu 4 cyl six speed auto rendered a 0-60 of 8.6 seconds with a curb weight of 3524 pounds.

If we assume the Vernino will weigh 3300 pounds and do the math with merely a weight adjustment, then it amounts to an 8.05 second 0-60 time which I guess would indeed correspond with GM's advised time.

Really? I thought they did, they certainly did on the Lucerne. So what are they, just chrome add on these days with no significance at all?

They were originally to denote the upper series from the lower series.

Loads of V8-only LeSabres had 6 VPs, VPs never changed when the Skylark or Apollo or Park Avenue had both 6s and 8s. There are more examples.

They're stylized air extractors; who ever told you they were supposed to 'stand for' something in a numerical sense ? :huh:

I think this car will do fine if priced correctly.

Specifically, it would be great in Canada.

I know many people who bought a CSX (and before the CSX the Acura EL which resembled a Civic even more closely than the CSX does)

just because they wanted something "better" than the civic, even if it really doesn't offer much more; where this car really does offer more than the Cruze.

They're stylized air extractors; who ever told you they were supposed to 'stand for' something in a numerical sense ? :huh:

Balthazar, Buick did what DF is describing on the Lucerne. Three per side meant you bought the creaky old 3800 and four per side meant you were doing it right and bought the Northstar V8.

Balthazar, Buick did what DF is describing on the Lucerne. Three per side meant you bought the creaky old 3800 and four per side meant you were doing it right and bought the Northstar V8.

Right, and doing it that way gave them some purpose besides being factory installed chrome stick-ons. They certainly don't extract air these days.

Astra for comparison

2010_opel_astra_press_new_008.jpg

hey! no plood! bolstered seats!

C/D or one of the web sites says the wood in the Verano is REAL.

if it's real why does it look so godawful heinous.

I'm really not seeing what your comparing here they look like the same bolstering with knee support on the Buick

gallery_51_46_279801.png

um no just look they are different.

And spoilers don't provide any downforce, either; they're just glued-on edges.

I acknowledge the Lucerne/Lucerne Super 6/8 VentiPorts scenario, but unless Buick specifically stated that they equated to cylinder count, we're still assuming that's the 'definition'.

Most upgrade models add 'more'- look at the M3, what are all those bulges & gills- they don't 'stand for' anything either- just gingerbread. Same thing.

From 1 picture, I'm intriqued by the tortoise shell look of the Verano inserts, they're unique for sure, but would have to see them in person.

Wood in modern cars is all a big joke anyway- none of it looks real because it's molded in impossible shapes and it all feels exactly like plastic. If there's zero tactile association, it might as well all BE plastic.

I acknowledge the Lucerne/Lucerne Super 6/8 VentiPorts scenario, but unless Buick specifically stated that they equated to cylinder count, we're still assuming that's the 'definition'.

Most upgrade models add 'more'- look at the M3, what are all those bulges & gills- they don't 'stand for' anything either- just gingerbread. Same thing.

From 1 picture, I'm intriqued by the tortoise shell look of the Verano inserts, they're unique for sure, but would have to see them in person.

Wood in modern cars is all a big joke anyway- none of it looks real because it's molded in impossible shapes and it all feels exactly like plastic. If there's zero tactile association, it might as well all BE plastic.

I would say the definition Buick originally set up for the Lucerne (then the LaCrosse Super), with the 6/8 ventiports has been gone since EVERY MANUFACTURER has tacked on airholes, including GM, and it's essentially lost all meaning. Hell, I've seen the 3 ventiports you find on a 2005 Park Avenue Ultra, on a Camry with those cloth roofs (whatever they're called).

Reg, would it kill you to wait to see the wood in person? And it kind-of reminds me of the tortoise shell accents in previous Chryslers.

Yes, I'm replying to my own. It also reminds me of the RL's wood before the refresh.

acurarl200946.jpg

A3 = Wagon only...not a competitor for the verano

A4 = Sedan should be the listed competitor, and it has sufficiant rear seat leg room, and a real life 32 mpg highway

As usual with GM Badge engineering you can get the Cruz (I think the same platform) for less money.

Can GM's history of terrible start up quality issues be a thing of the past? I hope so for Buick.

I like the interior one of the better looking one's in their fleet (at least the pictures look good).

Wrong engine, should be the 2.0 turbo, offer a low boost one for MPG and a high boost one for the GN/S version.

Glad to see Buick get a full range of vehicles. Will they get a version of the Equinox?

Time will tell about the quality issues that have plagued GM's SOP vehicles are behind them.

• Disagree 1

Well I can't get a direct quote from GM, but this is from wikipedia's page on Buick:

After the Park Avenue was discontinued, Buick salvaged the portholes to appear on the new-for-2006 Lucerne. In a break with tradition, the Lucerne's portholes refer directly to engine configuration: V6 models have three on each side, while V8s have four on each side.

So we were both right in a way. You're right the traditionally they didn't stand for cylinder count, but I'm right that they did on the Lucerne, as well as the LaCrosse (supers, with the V8, has 8 portholes while the V6's had 6).

At any rate, I like this approach and wish Buick would continue it.

Reg, would it kill you to wait to see the wood in person? And it kind-of reminds me of the tortoise shell accents in previous Chryslers.

yeah its that sort of wood design I do not care for most of the time but certainly I am more than happy to rewrite what i think of it if it turns out ok. GM's photography is not helping here. The recent caddy's IMO have had some pretty good wood, but its because it doesn't look like leopard print like this stuff does. Audis and Volvos and some higher end bimmers with the low sheen inoffensive grain on them. On multiple websites on comments regarding this Verano announcement I am seeing plenty of discord on the wood, I am most certainly not alone in the level of reaction to the wood.

things like furniture and stuff, I don't care for massive detail like burl walnut or stuff like that. They don't put maple and cherry in cars but stuff like that appeals to me. Subtle grain, not so much color variation. Nice simple grain.

Things like knotty pine set me off. I hate the stupid little knots in the pine.

Edited by regfootball

Well I can't get a direct quote from GM, but this is from wikipedia's page on Buick:

So we were both right in a way. You're right the traditionally they didn't stand for cylinder count, but I'm right that they did on the Lucerne, as well as the LaCrosse (supers, with the V8, has 8 portholes while the V6's had 6).

At any rate, I like this approach and wish Buick would continue it.

Oh come on; who are you going to trust on this one; me or wikipedia ? ;)

Regardless, I still don't see where Buick stated they equated to cylinder count- the claim certainly could still be assumption on the part of the writer.... but I haven't poured over every Lucerne press release, either. Buick may have decided to dumb it down for the masses and make it DUH-simple.

I prefer that the VentiPorts don't go so obviously simplistic.... but asking for high(er) concepts from the general public generally doesn't get much traction. It's not a big deal either way.

Edited by balthazar

Hopefully the bolstered seats and the black with aluminum (or fake aluminum, whatever it is) as seen on the Astra is available on the Verano. That color combination (and the seats) would be much more attractive to your typical entry level Acura/Audi buyer, IMO.

yeah its that sort of wood design I do not care for most of the time but certainly I am more than happy to rewrite what i think of it if it turns out ok. GM's photography is not helping here. The recent caddy's IMO have had some pretty good wood, but its because it doesn't look like leopard print like this stuff does. Audis and Volvos and some higher end bimmers with the low sheen inoffensive grain on them. On multiple websites on comments regarding this Verano announcement I am seeing plenty of discord on the wood, I am most certainly not alone in the level of reaction to the wood.

things like furniture and stuff, I don't care for massive detail like burl walnut or stuff like that. They don't put maple and cherry in cars but stuff like that appeals to me. Subtle grain, not so much color variation. Nice simple grain.

Things like knotty pine set me off. I hate the stupid little knots in the pine.

That was another point I was going to bring up... it's GM's photography which we've seen in many instances in the past tends not to capture the real beauty of its vehicles.

I agree with you to a degree on knots... I don't like knots or burl in a car's interior... it doesn't look right. On actual wood furniture, a knot can be a thing of beauty in my eyes... but over a large expanse of space which wood in a car never seems to have.

I say, see it in person before knocking it... only because you may be pleasantly surprised. I thought the plood/interior in the 07-09 LaCrosse was horrendous, but when I saw it in person, it actually looked like a very warm, inviting interior--it completely shocked me. It looked MUCH more upscale than in photos... and what shocked me most is that it was on a dated design.

The Plood they put in the 08-11 DTS was really nice, it was a browny woodgrain, I think it was simulated Bubango wood. I wish they put that wood in the cars for real, it was a really nice contrast to the light linen interior (my favorite color).

The Plood they put in the 08-11 DTS was really nice, it was a browny woodgrain, I think it was simulated Bubango wood. I wish they put that wood in the cars for real, it was a really nice contrast to the light linen interior (my favorite color).

I agree... I've heard nothing but excellent comments in reviews about the plood in the new LaCrosse... they claimed they had to study it carefully to discover it wasn't real. I always wondered why they couldn't mimic real wood in cars... just don't make it form crazy shapes real wood couldn't conform to, and give it a nice grain/detail.

I don't understand why they couldn't use the Olive Ash or the wood they use in the Platinums for all Cadillacs... at the price you pay, I don't think you should be getting plood. Yes, I'm aware that in previous Cadillacs they used real wood and switched to plood based on reviews calling it fake-looking, but there are so many rich and beautiful woods and grain-styles out there, they could really spice up a dull interior with the correct choice. I'd also like to see different materials used--there are so many creative ways to decorate, why aren't they showing up anywhere even in our most-luxurious cars?

Once a Cruze is optioned up and crests the $21k I'd choose the Verano without much more thought.

No Complaints from me except that the fake wood looks REALLY fake.

177 hp is fine, silence is gold. Performance is not that important in this segment... think about it, the TSX sold fine, so did four cylinder Camry's. Not everybody is looking for a fast ride or even a merely sprightly one. Besides, they may build a Verano GS with a 2.0T engine later.

In the big picture the Portholes mean so little to 95% of the people out there. Many will not notice them and even few will know of any past meaning.

With so many glue on Portholes on everything from a 300 to a Civic many will wonder more why the owner did not order more of them from JC Whitney.

Looks like the appliques are real wood and plastic covered in a silver metallic film. Upper IP looks to be padded vinyl and lower IP looks to be nothing more than a soft-grained injection molded plastic substrate. How accurate does that sound?

Looks like there's an LED fan indicator which is a fancy little addition to the HVAC ;)

The stupidest beef to have, but I have it: Original photos had white needled gauges. These have red needles. I prefer the look of blue gauges/white needles.

Still not lovin' the chrome eyebrows, but I like the car overall.

The stupidest beef to have, but I have it: Original photos had white needled gauges. These have red needles. I prefer the look of blue gauges/white needles.

This is the kind of thing that fluctuates in preproduction before the factory starts cranking them out. I bet there will be a few more subtle changes between now and production.

This is the kind of thing that fluctuates in preproduction before the factory starts cranking them out. I bet there will be a few more subtle changes between now and production.

I'm aware of that... it just bugs me. It's like the Regal has red needles, but the GS will get white needles. I assume the same with this, red needles with the 2.0L turbo having white. It's the silliest thing for me to gripe about; it truly comes down to a preference but would never impact my purchase on a car.

I'm wondering about the general opinion of the quarter windows up front. I'm not sure if I like them or not. It seems like there might be more visibility, but I just don't know..

Seems to happen specifically in modern day cab-forward FWD compacts. The designers like change the slope on the roofline, which must annoy the crap out of the engineers.

I've spoken out against its appearance before. It's not terrible in the Buick. I think this either because of bias, or because I've gotten used to its appearance elsewhere.

The quarter windows make sense on a hatch, like the Astra on which the Verano is a variant of. Adding a trunk to a tallish, space efficient hatchback is never pretty -- see the previous generation Jetta, or the current Fiesta, Versa, and Yaris sedans -- but they've done a decent job here. Big wheels help.

Seems to happen specifically in modern day cab-forward FWD compacts. The designers like change the slope on the roofline, which must annoy the crap out of the engineers.

I've spoken out against its appearance before. It's not terrible in the Buick. I think this either because of bias, or because I've gotten used to its appearance elsewhere.

Yeah, started w/ minivans, I think...the first car in NA w/ it may have been the Prius back in '04. Then the Civic a few years later..

I think it's an easier seal to make, but imagine if they put a blacked out panel there like they did at the back of the greenhouse on the Sebring and Cruze.

But it's not like there isn't precedent for something like that at GM:

1992-pontiac-bonneville-chrome-accessories.jpg

94121281990402-480.jpg

Or Ford:

1985LincolnContinental.jpg

1981-Lincoln-Town-Car.jpg

I think it's an easier seal to make, but imagine if they put a blacked out panel there like they did at the back of the greenhouse on the Sebring and Cruze.

But it's not like there isn't precedent for something like that at GM:

You can't compare the pillar window to those, though...those are like the old time vent windows, except they don't pivot out--they are still within the door frame. These new ones like on the Verano, Civic, Prius, etc are in front of the door at the base of the a-pillar. Not part of the door. One of the oldest designs in the NA market to use this little window may have been the Ford Aerostar back in the '80s.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar