Variance

Spy Shots: 2007 Ford Super Duty

I'm indifferent on this freshening...not bad, not great either. The bodystyle is getting long in the tooth...which sort of constrains the designers on what they can and can't do.

A much needed interior redo...I like the tough, utilitatarian design theme Ford is taking with its trucks. However, the fake wood and ugly (and equally long in the tooth) Ford radio unit heavliy detract from the overall look.

Anybody notice a trend of FoMoCo holding over bodystyles for their new designs? The Explorer, Expedition, NG Escape all have redesigned front ends on old bodies. IMO, it shows that Ford does not have the funds to fully redesign its vehicles...they're really scraping the barrel. While this saves considerable funds, its going to be increasingly hard to introduce integrated, cohesive designs...take the Navigator for example...I guarantee that the '07 would have looked 10x better had the designers been given a clean slate to work with...

I'm indifferent on this freshening...not bad, not great either.  The bodystyle is getting long in the tooth...which sort of constrains the designers on what they can and can't do.

A much needed interior redo...I like the tough, utilitatarian design theme Ford is taking with its trucks.  However, the fake wood and ugly (and equally long in the tooth) Ford radio unit heavliy detract from the overall look.

Anybody notice a trend of FoMoCo holding over bodystyles for their new designs?  The Explorer, Expedition, NG Escape all have redesigned front ends on old bodies.  IMO, it shows that Ford does not have the funds to fully redesign its vehicles...they're really scraping the barrel.  While this saves considerable funds, its going to be increasingly hard to introduce integrated, cohesive designs...take the Navigator for example...I guarantee that the '07 would have looked 10x better had the designers been given a clean slate to work with...

Ford had said in the past that we would be seeing this very trend of refreshing and we will be seeing it more often (they stated that front and rear fascias are easily updated and the most expensive part to update is the doors.) Keep in mind that its only been about 3-4 years since the Navigator was re-designed so this is in-line with a mid-life re-fresh. I do agree with you the fact that Ford makes 1 radio and puts it in ALL its cars. I also must state that I HATE the fact that Ford has made it a point to remove amber turn signals or even separate bulbs from lights clusters on the rear of any of their cars/trucks.

Just me!

-Dave

OH...

MYE...

GAWD...

I didn't think it was possible to have an uglier front end than what the current Silverado has got but Ford topped it. That's hidious! It makes the Navigator look downright conservative and classy. It's as though Ford just gave up on a creative/stylish design and slapped on a flat bumper and giant grill and called it a day. It's absolutely horrible It doesn't even intregrate into the bumper anymore. The current front end is far better..Ford slap it back on this "new" SuperDuty. At least then it won't look like the truck's front end got beat with an ugly stick.

Now that the initial shock has worn off...I do like the new tailgate design and that the tail lights finally get replaced...the interior looks great, and is a huge step up from the current one. The vents in the fender, functional or not, look cool too.

It seems lame that Ford didn't actually redsign the SuperDuty, but is choosing the mild refresh route ala Focus. Still the vastly improved interior, new deisel, and oher improvements go a long way. Too bad it's all for nothing since that front end just voids all the good improvements with its fugliness.

i like that they went bold with the redesign, and overall I don't think it is too bad. Those side vents are nice and if they just moved the headlights up so that they were somwhere in the middle or closer to the top, then I think they have a winner. As for the interior, looks about as nice as the interior of one of our beet trucks.

Edited by scharmer05

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o !!!!!

The more I look at it, the better it looks though. It's just at first look... well it's a bit surprising. The head lights look like they should be on the other end.

You guys want to hear something really funny? I just saw an extended cab 4 x 4 version about an hour ago on the interstate right next to the KY Truck Plant! It was black and had the leopard pattern along the bottom half of the truck and the entire tail end was covered with black camo. I even thought about getting my camera and going to see if I could get some pics. No need for that now. :P

That is the ugliest thing I've ever seen....

I guess my boycott won't hurt me that bad, there's always a Silverado, the new Ram look's like a girl, but the one before the refreshment is perfect, so I guess it's either a Ram or a Silverado.

It is surprising at first but after staring at it for a while, I think I have warmed up to the change. It does stand out, that's for sure. The interior is a huge improvement but the materials are still going to be hard - totally acceptable considering the real uses of this truck.

If the grill wasn't so much bigger than the headlights, it'd look okay. As is, the front has the proportions of a big rig.

I don't think it will do too poorly, but it definetly opens the door for GM's HDs.

Ok whats with the low headlights for Gods sake....The grill looks like the medium duty trucks now; at least those thing have the headlights tward the middle of the grill.

Would love to see the video of this in the wind tunnel or did they bother? And why the hell does a pick up need to be this big. This is getting out of hand my 06 2500hd is huge compare to my old 94 and 87. and get worse milage. Ford dont care because its all about "mine is bigger"

...  I also must state that I HATE the fact that Ford has made it a point to remove amber turn signals or even separate bulbs from lights clusters on the rear of any of their cars/trucks.

Just me!

-Dave

Here in Ohio amber rear turn signals are actually illegal. Of course it isn't enforced at all (yeah, I'd like to see em try that)... nor is it really known... but it is part of Ohio's law. On most cars I really like the amber... they also seem to stand out more than the red... so I'd have to agree with you.

Anybody notice a trend of FoMoCo holding over bodystyles for their new designs?  The Explorer, Expedition, NG Escape all have redesigned front ends on old bodies.  IMO, it shows that Ford does not have the funds to fully redesign its vehicles...they're really scraping the barrel.  While this saves considerable funds, its going to be increasingly hard to introduce integrated, cohesive designs...take the Navigator for example...I guarantee that the '07 would have looked 10x better had the designers been given a clean slate to work with...

I totally agree......however.......a recent rental Explorer (new model) REALLY impressed with a significant improvement in ride-and-drive, NVH, and the overall quality feel of the SUV.

I've driven enough (old) Explorers to easily be able to tell the difference.

They truly HAVE improved the chassis/suspension, etc. Will this be enough when most people are looking for significant styling updates? I don't know....but at least the money is going SOMEWHERE.....

First rection: What the hell!??!?!!! :blink:

*barf*. I pretty much think all trucks are ugly, but I'm gonna make it a point to act like a jackass around anyone I see driving this ugly mother around town.

The lights have to be like that. I like it.

New regulations requiring such headlights will prevent drivers from being blinded by high up headlights. youll thank Ford for this later.

I still like it...but are we EVER going to see more than a new front fascia, some fresh underpinnings, and a new interior?

I guess that's pretty significant for a proven and popular full-size truck, but this will be "refresh" #3 and I wonder if there's ever going to be a fully new model or not, one day?

The lights have to be like that.  I like it.

New regulations requiring such headlights will prevent drivers from being blinded by high up headlights.  youll thank Ford for this later.

Understood. Still ugly as sin, though.

I totally agree......however.......a recent rental Explorer (new model) REALLY impressed with a significant improvement in ride-and-drive, NVH, and the overall quality feel of the SUV.

I've driven enough (old) Explorers to easily be able to tell the difference.

They truly HAVE improved the chassis/suspension, etc.  Will this be enough when most people are looking for significant styling updates?  I don't know....but at least the money is going SOMEWHERE.....

As far as the Explorer goes, the '06 was a freshing of the model that was totally redesigned for '02, so I wouldn't expect an all-new body, etc after only 4 model years..

I still like it...but are we EVER going to see more than a new front fascia, some fresh underpinnings, and a new interior?

I guess that's pretty significant for a proven and popular full-size truck, but this will be "refresh" #3 and I wonder if there's ever going to be a fully new model or not, one day?

I guess, like the Ranger, the Super Duty doesn't generate enough profit to warrant a complete redo, unlike the F150.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook