• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Sign in to follow this  
Chazman

6th gen Camaro info.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f144/sixth-gen-camaro-story-fallout-99614/

Let me address afew points.

1) I read an interwebz rumor that the next V8 will displace 5.5L.

The 5.5L bore/stroke ratio was developed at substantial expense for the C6.R racing program in order to homologate the Corvette for GT2. There are no plans to put this displacement in production.

2) There are no plans for an Alpha Camaro because I hear that GM has a secret program to lighten the Zeta Camaro.

So secret in fact, that GM doesn't even know about it. Something like that would require a huge investment, one which GM won't spend on an orphaned platform. The Alpha Camaro is indeed coming.

3) A 4 cylinder Camaro! That sucks.

Hey listen, if you want to still buy a rip snorting smallblock V8 Camaro in an era of 35.5 mpg CAFE, you'd better pray that Chevy sells a buttload of 4 banger Camaros.

4) What, no V6?

The 6th gen may or may not have a V6. We couldn't get confirmation either way. But for CAFE and marketing reasons, the I4/V8 product mix is confirmed and joined at the hip.

5) 7 and 8 speed transmisions are stupid.

I don't think we're going back to Powerglides and T-10's boys and girls. If adding a gear or two can squeeze another bit of mpg on the EPA test loop, well that's what needs to be done. See "if you still want a V8" above.

6) It's impossible to have any info on the 6th gen because myself and the site I frequent have no info on it.

Ooops sorry. If anyone wants to question the veracity of the information we've put into the 6th gen story feel free to challenge it here. As nsap has mentioned, we are very careful to confirm through multiple sources what we post. Expect more to come.

so 4 cyl turbos... either the "lnf" or a 2.5 low pressure turbo... could work well, if the gen6 is lighter by.. a few 100 lbs.

With GM being so dark on new products we will hear a lot of crazy stories before the 6th gen arrives.

Right now I was told not to believe much on the Supercharged Camaro as there is a lot of false info on it out righ now. Even to the point some are thinking that it may not even be a Z/28.

Also some good info on the restyle of the present inteior. Don't expect much. It will be a light redo as with a new car coming there is no need to spend a ton of money on it. I suspect we will see changes like a Steering wheel and shift knob as they are not real popular.

As of now I would not get too wrapped up on the new Camaro yet as We pretty much knew the Alpha was coming and we all already know a 4 cylinder will play a larger roll this time. It has too. I also suspect the V8 will be here but the numbers may be more limited than before. It will either have to have a V6 or have a powerful 4 cylinder with a lot less weight to really make much impact. A V6 is a hard sell as it is in this class but a 4 would really be challange to many traditional buyers.

The other intersting part is how will GM play with the styling. Do they abandon the Retro look or do they keep with a Retro/Modern style? Say like a modern 1970 update like the 5th did on the 1969.

I know the answers will come but I suspect it will be a while before the truth is learned.

6th gen styling is a complete mystery right now. I'm working on it. :)

I hope to God it's a modern take on the '70 1/2....

I hope to God it's a modern take on the '70 1/2....

I'm right there with you on this.

Smaller, lighter, and styled like the '70 1/2 would be a fine recipe.

One thing these guys are wrong about is the lightened Zeta - it is happening. I sure would love to see this new Alpha Camaro sitting in the showroom next to a new Zeta Chevelle.

All would then be right with the world.

What a refreshingly thoughtful idea. Now if we could just get CAFE off our backs and let THE CONSUMER decide what kinds of vehicles to buy, the world would be normal again.

EDIT: what are those red marks for? Pull your heads out of your asses and show yourselves!

Edited by ocnblu
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The 5th gen at one time had a 70 and a half like roof on the car. This was before they went with the styling they have now. I hope they do a better job on the new car if they go this way than they did on that one. It was not very nice in the photo's that made it out of GM. They made the right choice with what they did.

Camino How about they take the drawings of the Buick 2+2 that we posted and make it into a Camaro. It is a good design and if Buick never uses it then make it a Camaro.

I wonder how many wrong cover drawings on Car and Driver we will have to see before we learn the truth. LOL!

If they do go a little retro I hope it is just that a little with a modern edge. They hit a good balance with the present car. I just hope they do not try to make the show car into the street car. I would like the street car to be made into the show car so it is a little more real world friendly. I like the present car and could live with the issues but many real world buyers reject them. These are sales Chevy needs.

Edited by hyperv6

The shape of the Buick Avant lends itself perfectly to adaptation to second gen Camaro styling - you read my mind there, Hyper.

Edited by Camino LS6

Well the ATS is the first Alpha I believe and that is a 2014 based on reports.

I think we are looking at at least 2014 for a new 2015 for the new Camaro.

One thing to keep in mind is Chevy now being a world brand the new car will have to not only appeal to Americans as a pony car but also to the world with world class performance. The new Mustang is proving to give the Pony car image with BMW like handling and performance.

A smaller car will help in world apeal as most people outside the states want a daily driver that is very big and only a 2+2.

I think now is the time to evolve the pony car beyond it's retro ideas. These are good cars that need to move forward and advance what they could be. As we know they can not remain what they are 4,000 pound coupes selling 80% V8 engines. The new regs just have no place to keep the status quo. So now is the time to do this and do it right or the Pony car will die.

I see a need for the future of a Very good 4 cylinder option with a V6 that has power but better than V8 MPG. The V8 I see still in the picture but how many they sell will be based on the lower cars. If they fail to make the lower car move the V8 will become a very expensive and limited option. There could be a time that the V8 could be a very hard to afford car for most people.

While I see a updated 2.0 Turbo as a very good engine in a smaller Camaro the problem will be to sell this to the fan base. Too few really know how good this could be but would never consider it due to the cylinder count. It is just hard to defeat preconceived ideas.

It will be intersting to see how GM deals with the changes they have to face. They will have to make some gambles on making the right choice to be where they need to be. The 6th gen is not just another update but a total reform and adjustment for the model. They thought the 70's bumper and emissions laws were tough this is even more difficult.

The shape of the Buick Avant lends itself perfectly to adaptation to second gen Camaro styling - you read my mind there, Hyper.

I suspect the Buick will show up some where or at least parts of it will. GM seldom throws away good styling.

Many never knew the 4th gen styling started out as the still born 1990 Fiero GTP. The design was rehashed to meet the needs of a Front engine car.

Well the ATS is the first Alpha I believe and that is a 2014 based on reports.

I think we are looking at at least 2014 for a new 2015 for the new Camaro.

One thing to keep in mind is Chevy now being a world brand the new car will have to not only appeal to Americans as a pony car but also to the world with world class performance. The new Mustang is proving to give the Pony car image with BMW like handling and performance.

A smaller car will help in world apeal as most people outside the states want a daily driver that is very big and only a 2+2.

I think now is the time to evolve the pony car beyond it's retro ideas. These are good cars that need to move forward and advance what they could be. As we know they can not remain what they are 4,000 pound coupes selling 80% V8 engines. The new regs just have no place to keep the status quo. So now is the time to do this and do it right or the Pony car will die.

I see a need for the future of a Very good 4 cylinder option with a V6 that has power but better than V8 MPG. The V8 I see still in the picture but how many they sell will be based on the lower cars. If they fail to make the lower car move the V8 will become a very expensive and limited option. There could be a time that the V8 could be a very hard to afford car for most people.

While I see a updated 2.0 Turbo as a very good engine in a smaller Camaro the problem will be to sell this to the fan base. Too few really know how good this could be but would never consider it due to the cylinder count. It is just hard to defeat preconceived ideas.

It will be intersting to see how GM deals with the changes they have to face. They will have to make some gambles on making the right choice to be where they need to be. The 6th gen is not just another update but a total reform and adjustment for the model. They thought the 70's bumper and emissions laws were tough this is even more difficult.

I agree - to a point.

I think the Solstice points the way toward making a 4/8 Camaro strategy work. The GXPs were real performers, and the V8 conversions were monsters.

The current Camaro is large and heavy by toady's standards, which makes the appellation of "pony car" a bit of an ill fit. The originals slotted in at a much different place within the market of their day. Striking the right balance here will be critical. The V8 is a requirement if the name is Camaro, but the rest is subject to change.

I also see what Ford is doing with the new Boss 302 as a real factor which Camaro needs to address. A well-executed Z/28 on Alpha could be a knockout punch. If that is in the plan, I could see the current supercharged car being released without the Z/28 badge.

I see no problem with 4,6 and 8 availability. There are precedents... early Nova, '82 F-body.

The engine may be will most likely be a 2.0 or 2.4 based on a Gen III Ecotec. Possibly fortified with a turbocharger. But it wouldn't be an LNF. The Gen 6 Camaro is NOT around the corner; it is 3~4 years away. The LNF will be 10 years old by then. Hey maybe it'll even be a 3.1 liter pushrod which is actually a pretty neat idea if you don't mind a little roughness that seeps through the twin balancers.

Here are the possible contenders:-

2.0 Ecotec3 DOHC-16v DI-VVT Turbo (High Boost; ~ 20 psi)

Bore x Stroke: 86 x 86 mm

Displacement: 1998 cc

Compression: ~9.7:1 (est)

Power: ~300 @ 6000 rpm

Torque: ~270 @ 2800~5800 rpm

Fuel: 91 Octane

2.4 Ecotec3 DOHC-16v DI-VVT Turbo (Low Boost; ~ 13 psi)

Bore x Stroke: 86 x 86 mm

Displacement: 1998 cc

Power: ~300 @ 6000 rpm

Torque: ~270 @ 1800~5800 rpm

Fuel: 87 Octane

3.1 Gen V Pushrod-8v DI-VVT Turbo (Very Low Boost; ~ 9 psi)

Bore x Stroke: 103.25 x 92 mm

Displacement: 3081 cc

Power: ~270 @ 5000 rpm

Torque: ~300 @ 1600~4600 rpm

Fuel: 87 Octane

I wonder how many years out, though the 6th gen is...3-5?

MY 2016 is what we're hearing. Wish they could move it up, the next gen Mustang is 2014.

BTW, in case you guys didn't know, I'm the one who wrote that as a follow up to a larger piece.

Not to me! :smilewide:

Give us a hint!

I prefer the '67-'69, '70-'73, and to a lesser extent, '82-'92 and '98-'02. I despise the mandatory rear spoiler on the '93-'02, a feature also foisted on Pontiac Firebird. '74-'81 were just too fat looking. The new one is of course a knockout, if a little big around the glutes.

Edited by ocnblu

I agree - to a point.

I think the Solstice points the way toward making a 4/8 Camaro strategy work. The GXPs were real performers, and the V8 conversions were monsters.

The current Camaro is large and heavy by toady's standards, which makes the appellation of "pony car" a bit of an ill fit. The originals slotted in at a much different place within the market of their day. Striking the right balance here will be critical. The V8 is a requirement if the name is Camaro, but the rest is subject to change.

I also see what Ford is doing with the new Boss 302 as a real factor which Camaro needs to address. A well-executed Z/28 on Alpha could be a knockout punch. If that is in the plan, I could see the current supercharged car being released without the Z/28 badge.

Well the Solstice is gone and I really don't see much there connecting the Camaro other than a more fastback roof line. On the engine front the V8 was never production in the Solstice and for the most more a GM show car or Mallet product.

It will be safe to say it will have some kind of V8 but only on the top level. With Ford looking to the Ecoboost possibly in the GT we may see Chevy make a similar move. Ford may only offer the V8 in the special editions when it is all said and done.

GM will be interesting to see what the new Chevy V8 is as the new Ford is really a sweet engine. The sound alone of the Boss is great as it the flat power band.

Seeing the Camaro sharing the Alpha with the ATS should be a benifit to the Camaro. The Alpha will see funding in development that the Camaro would have never seen just on their own. This can lead to better suspension hardware and other drive line parts that could help upstage the Mustang.

Yes it is more and more looking like the new Supercharged Camaro will have some suprises. Much of what has been said about it is false and when inside people like Scott Settlemire still say "what Z/28" knowing full well the supercharged cars are out and about point to hint of a new name. Scott is well know for telling us things with out saying them, Camino knows what I mean. My pick for the supercharged Camaro is ZL1 to go with the ZR1.

Note too the new Supercharged Camaro may have more power than the present CTS V as I expect both cars might see a gain in their engines in the next year or two.

If the Camaro is to beat the Shelby it will need more HP. Also I expect that the ZR1 will see a boost too as it still has more room for power. It was tested to 720 HP and still passed emissions and durability testing when it was developed. I suspect a special ZR1 before the end of the present C6 car.

As for the 3.1 push rod engine???? what the hell if you are going to do that lets bring back the Iron Duke too. LOL!

By 2015 we will have many new and many upgraded engines from GM. They will be lighter, smaller and more efficent. They will sport technology we do not have now and Direct Injection company wide. While we may get good MPG out of engines like the present LS it is not going to be enough in a few years. Gains of even a MPG or two will mean a lot.

The one thing for sure is predicting the future will be difficut. We will not see small changes but large changes with little hints they are are coming. GM is not talking anymore so we will see few clues and a lot of misinformation. People will pick up on anything that looks offical just because the lack of into. Just note the people who picked on the ATS engine ideas that thought they were real.

No matter what the Camaro really needs to get people to buy the non V8 car this time. It will need the MPG of the lesser cars. They failed with the present car this time but next time they will not get a free pass on it. It will be either sell more smaller engines or get less big engines.

Edited by hyperv6

any fuel estimates with... a 3500lb vehicle, 6 speed?

About 20~23 City, 30~35 Hwy assuming the aerodynamics is not horrible. A lot of it depends on the selection of the final drive ratio. It also depends on whether GM will put in new technology like continuously variable lift & duration (which essentially gives you variable compression).

About 20~23 City, 30~35 Hwy assuming the aerodynamics is not horrible. A lot of it depends on the selection of the final drive ratio. It also depends on whether GM will put in new technology like continuously variable lift & duration (which essentially gives you variable compression).

I wouldn't be surprised if a version of e-Assist makes it into the base car.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.