Dodge gives Durango a face-lift, preps for hybrid

Derek77

DETROIT -- Today Dodge will show a face-lifted 2007 Durango that goes on sale in August.

Engineers also have prepped the SUV for a hybrid engine that will be offered in the 2008 model year.

The reworked 2007 model will be shown at the Dallas Auto Show on Wednesday. The fascia, grille, hood, headlamps, fenders and wheels are redone. Ten features are being added, including an electronic stability program, tire pressure monitoring system, rear park assist and a one-touch lane-change signal, Dodge says.

Durango sales are off 39.4 percent to 20,090 units in the first quarter of 2006, compared with the same period a year ago.

Continued at Dodge gives Durango a face-lift, preps for hybrid

I was never a fan of the "Marshmallow Man" look. This is a step in the right direction, but I still think the roof line is the same as it was which looks too bubbly to me.

That's an improvement...the ugliest aspects of the current model are the headlights and bulgy fenders, IMHO.

I agree it's a huge improvememt, although it looks like a comparatively minor change....

AND how 'bout that Compass price? Regardless of what anyone thinks of the styling.....that's alot of "cute ute" for the money when you consider that includes the 2.4L engine and 5-speed manual tranny...

The new Durango front end looks a lot like Nitro's-not entirely a bad thing, but it looks like the new model got the uniqueness taken out of it, and that's a great deal for Compass pricing, but in addition to the front-drive configuration, its all-wheel-drive, not a 4x4.

The new Durango front end looks a lot like Nitro's-not entirely a bad thing, but it looks like the new model got the uniqueness taken out of it, and that's a great deal for Compass pricing, but in addition to the front-drive configuration, its all-wheel-drive, not a 4x4.

I believe they are calling it a 4x4 because you can put the 4 wheel drive system in "lock" mode:

Compass’ available active, full-time 4x4 system is recommended for daily use, including driving in snow and rain. The four-wheel-drive “Lock” mode is recommended for deep snow, deep sand and other low-traction surfaces. Both the standard full-time and “Lock” modes include many standard safety features including: Brake Traction Control, driver-controlled three-mode Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Brake Assist, Electronic Roll Mitigation and anti-lock brakes with rough-road detection. Compass’ standard four-wheel anti-lock brakes provide an excellent 60-0 mph dry pavement stopping distance of 125 ft.

Guest YellowJacket894

Looks like a minivan-SUV hybrid. I like the old one better, actually.

The Nitro, although it may be a smaller SUV, is going to out-sell this ugly thing, two to one.

A signifigant improvement; it looks more in line with the Nitro. I approve!

..Huh? :unsure:  :confused0071:

One touch lane change signals is a nice feature. You touch the turn signal lever one time in the direction you want and it will flash 3 to 5 time and shut off. Very handy.

Meh, on second thought, I wish it'd get a different damn interior. That thing is so damn cheap.

I do agree with that, but the budget probably went to the front end and modifying the floor plan to incorporate the hybrid system.

Look how much smaller the gap is between the bumper and grill/fender/headlighs

I do agree with that, but the budget probably went to the front end and modifying the floor plan to incorporate the hybrid system.

Look how much smaller the gap is between the bumper and grill/fender/headlighs

Same for the rear bumper... :)

The cool thing about the current model is that it look's radical. I don't know if that exactly translated into sales, but, it was a risk, and by looking at all the Durrangos running around, it might* have payed off. This should make the Tahoe look more attractive, and I'm not saying that it doesn't already. Edited by KaliRover