Suzuki Announces Two Revals For New York

Suzuki Announces Two Revals For New York

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGear.com

March 25, 2011

post-10485-0-88743200-1301096947.png

Suzuki's has announced two global reveals for the New York Auto Show in April. One of the reveals will be an updated Suzuki Kizashi. Suzuki says the updates will take the “Kizashi to the next level.” Its possible the update will bring a turbocharged engine which would help one of the big problems with current car, not having a powerful engine. Suzuki will also premiere a second model, but no one knows what it could be. Our guess, either a production version of the Swift or a concept of the Grand Vitara.

Source: Left Lane News

this is news to me!!!!!!!!!!! lmao. lots of the zashi fans (all 6 of them) are hoping a turbo is part of the mix.

a factory turbo kit though would mean the trans and drivetrain would need to be capable of handling the extra power while retaining the world's best warranty of 7 years, 100k miles on the powertrain. with no deductible and fully transferrable to the next owner. does that sound like something that would be of interest to you?

Edited by regfootball

Just answering your question. Could it be that Suzuki has such low sales due to the antics of their salesmen?

Unlikely since so few people have actually met one.

I really liked the Kazashi when I checked it out on the NY Auto show floor, but I've yet to drive one. I should send a note to Suzuki to see if I can get a press car.

Just answering your question. Could it be that Suzuki has such low sales due to the antics of their salesmen?

Unlikely since so few people have actually met one.

I really liked the Kazashi when I checked it out on the NY Auto show floor, but I've yet to drive one. I should send a note to Suzuki to see if I can get a press car.

I can look into that. I met one of the reps but I am not sure if there is even a press fleet.

Our problem, getting butts in to look at them.

At the auto show the response to the car in person is overwhelmingly positive.

If the car had another badge on it it would be successful.

I think it would have made a nice Sebring and stratus.

The car itself needs a little more sound attenuation. Lots of folks said they wanted more power. The turbo will take care of that. There will always be folks who won't want a CVT. I think a few cosmetic and option tweaks would be nice.

The car drives fantastic in GTS and SLS trim for a bread and butter car.

Where accords an camrys have gone old and soft, this car fills the void. It's not for everyone and I totally understand the hesitation regarding the brand presence etc.

As a product it's well done. At least those that do have one will be happy with it. The turbo takes away the power objection.

Edited by regfootball

How many people keep their cars for 7 years? And how many people only drive 14,000 miles a year to stretch that warranty out? Hyundai made the warranty schtick work by advertising the hell out of it. I'm not sure Suzuki has an advertising agency.

I would say a lot more people today are keeping their cars longer.

A lot of people only drive 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year. On the CR-V, Albert typically does around 11,000 a year. He's put 25,000 miles on it in the 3.5 years we've been together.

People have been driving less in the depressed economy, but I still don't know many people who buy a car new and keep it 7 years. Depending on circumstances it can be very easy to drive fewer than 10,000 miles a year, or it can be nearly impossible to keep it under 20,000

Which is why every car purchase needs to suit the individual buyer. See the XTS thread.... I'd love an XTS, but apparently I'm a fool for being interested in buying one because I'd never get it around the Nürburgring faster than an M5.

The Kizashi has 4 wheels, just like an M5, therefore its as good.

I think the biggest reason Suzuki and Mitsubishi are going to be gone soon is that they don't offer anything special. For a while in the 90's Suzuki had the original cute ute while Mitsubishi had a decent rice rocket. Now though, they just do what everyone else does, but do it with $159/month leases.

I think the biggest reason Suzuki and Mitsubishi are going to be gone soon is that they don't offer anything special. For a while in the 90's Suzuki had the original cute ute while Mitsubishi had a decent rice rocket. Now though, they just do what everyone else does, but do it with $159/month leases.

The Kizashi has a chance especially in the northeast. The ability to flip AWD on and off as needed is compelling. Only Subaru offers AWD in this size car for that price.

If Suzuki offers that "AWD on demand" feature across their lineup, that could really be their "thing" that sets them apart.

I pretty much agree on Mitsubishi. They really don't have much of a chance now. They'll survive on crossovers a couple more years, give another try at a mid-sized sport sedan, fail, and throw in the towel.

Which is why every car purchase needs to suit the individual buyer. See the XTS thread.... I'd love an XTS, but apparently I'm a fool for being interested in buying one because I'd never get it around the Nürburgring faster than an M5.

No, GM is a fool for producing it as a Cadillac XTS and not a Buick Electra.

Exactly. EVERYONE knew Mitsubishi in the 90s because of the Eclipse. What do they make now? Off the top of my head, I don't know.

Suzuki...all I know they make is the Kizashi, and that's only because reg shills it all over the site. Otherwise, I'd never have known about it. It actually looks good.

K. Cadillac will just sell CTSes and SRXes for the next 3 years while it spends time granting your wish.... seeing as the STS and DTS go out of production like.... now.

K. Cadillac will just sell CTSes and SRXes for the next 3 years while it spends time granting your wish.... seeing as the STS and DTS go out of production like.... now.

:lol: You have really gone off the deep end over the XTS. This is just so comical at this point I feel like it needs to become our running joke.

How many people keep their cars for 7 years? And how many people only drive 14,000 miles a year to stretch that warranty out? Hyundai made the warranty schtick work by advertising the hell out of it. I'm not sure Suzuki has an advertising agency.

the wty is transferable, so no issue there.

A lot of people only drive 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year. On the CR-V, Albert typically does around 11,000 a year. He's put 25,000 miles on it in the 3.5 years we've been together.

what you really see nowadays is a large variety. I do know folks who put 20k+ miles on a year and there are those who don't. As an example a nice couple stopped by today to get maintenance done on their Aerio. 8 years old, 65k miles.

Right now people are forced to keep their cars longer because there are no good cheap new options anymore.....at least not near as many like 4-5 years ago when everyone routinely flipped their cars. The cash for clunkers and bust in new car volume the last couple years turned used cars into the new new car. As a result, all prices are way up, and the people who can routinely get good credit is drastically reduced as well.

I just think market forces are now in place that there will be a lot less folks who buy new and flip every 3 years. I do think you will have a fair amount of people from now on who will be keeping cars longer. There are just too many folks whose lives have been changed such that they simply won't have the financial means to make car transactions routinely and on impulse.

I think the biggest reason Suzuki and Mitsubishi are going to be gone soon is that they don't offer anything special. For a while in the 90's Suzuki had the original cute ute

while Mitsubishi had a decent rice rocket. Now though, they just do what everyone else does, but do it with $159/month leases.

The Kizashi has a chance especially in the northeast. The ability to flip AWD on and off as needed is compelling. Only Subaru offers AWD in this size car for that price.

If Suzuki offers that "AWD on demand" feature across their lineup, that could really be their "thing" that sets them apart.

I pretty much agree on Mitsubishi. They really don't have much of a chance now. They'll survive on crossovers a couple more years, give another try at a mid-sized sport sedan, fail, and throw in the towel.

nearly everyone who was shown the AWD on the Kashi it scored big points with here in the snow belt. I tend to think by 2020, most cars sold in the US will have standard car based all wheel drive.

Kizashis might stand out in traffic if there were any out on the road.

Doubt it, at a glance they look like last gen Jettas.

a cross between a Pontiac grand am and a jetta.....lol.

I'm not going to feel good about transferring the warranty when my car has lost 94% of its value after 2 years and 30,000 miles.

lease it problem solved.

what you really see nowadays is a large variety. I do know folks who put 20k+ miles on a year and there are those who don't. As an example a nice couple stopped by today to get maintenance done on their Aerio. 8 years old, 65k miles.

Yes, I know a number of people that just have brutal commutes...100-150 miles a day or more...one coworker I had in Denver would get a new Accord every 3 years after putting 75k on one in 3 years...

I did a 50 mile a day commute for over 2 years (4 days a week usually, WFH one day a week)..that got tiring..couldn't imagine doubling or tripling it...

(I don't know if 100 miles a day round trip is worse than 4000 air miles a week, though).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

+1