American bills with colour?

yup... the colored 20s have been around for over a year... the 10s more recently have been colored... i havent seen any colored 5s yet tho... im pretty sure they did it for the same reason other countries do... easier to distinguish from each other... or they just wante to be cool like monopoly... haha

Edited by 04monteintimidator

I know they serve their purpose but I mind of miss the all-green bills. At least they still have the "money" smell. The government should patent that. I have "paper" currency from other countries and they do not smell the same.

Once we get used to them I think people will like them fine. It's just the first time

you see one that it seems shockingly different. They are much more counter-fit

discouraging. I love European money and stamps... they make ours look plain

and unartistic.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Latest issue of all six bills:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any idea when the $1 bill will get a redesign?

From what I remember back when they first redesigned the $20 in the late 90s, they're not bothering with the $1 because it's pretty fruitless to counterfeit it.

But that's pretty stupid.. it will be a black sheep among the rest of the bills. <_<

With all the costs associated with replacing paper money, Canada realized that it didn't make sense, back in the early 90's, to print $1 bills anymore. I bet the US will soon do the same. Don't you guys already have a $1 coin anyways? I remember there being a big stink that it didn't have Washington on it.

The last Treasury department press release I found that mentioned it said that the $1 and $2 bills wont be redesigned. That doesn't mean ever, but I take it to mean no time soon. I doubt the $1 bill will change much in the next decade. The other bills have been redesigned once, the $50, $20 and $10 twice, those are the ones that they have to worry about being counterfitted. Besides, if they keep the $1 as-is, it'll be uniques in that its green, like how the $50, $20 and $10 all have their own colors.

The last Treasury department press release I found that mentioned it said that the $1 and $2 bills wont be redesigned.  That doesn't mean ever, but I take it to mean no time soon.  I doubt the $1 bill will change much in the next decade.  The other bills have been redesigned once, the $50, $20 and $10 twice, those are the ones that they have to worry about being counterfitted.  Besides, if they keep the $1 as-is, it'll be uniques in that its green, like how the $50, $20 and $10 all have their own colors.

Are the $2 still being printed? I haven't seen one in circulation in a looooong time.. I'd like to see them get rid of the $1 and $2 bills and replace them with coins.

I agree Croc. It's just that at a certain point a dollar is worth so little that making the paper money doesn't make sense anymore. I wish Canada had stopped at the loonie ($1 coin) and left the $2 bill alone. Our smallest bill in Canada is $5.

Really? When I was in Canada a few weeks ago I got a few one dollar bills at one of the bars we went to....as for the US $1....i doubt they will be replacing it any time soon....if they do replace it they are going to have to replace EVERY bill reader in every vending machine in America....kind of a big deal. There are still some coin machines at car washes around here that don't take the last $5 redo.

Edited by scharmer05

Really? When I was in Canada a few weeks ago I got a few one dollar bills at one of the bars we went to....as for the US $1....i doubt they will be replacing it any time soon....if they do replace it they are going to have to replace EVERY bill reader in every vending machine in America....kind of a big deal.  There are still some coin machines at car washes around here that don't take the last $5 redo.

Ummm... what the???

How dead was this bar you went to???

They introduced our $1 coin in 1989 and phased out the $1 bill immediately afterwards - meaning the bank will accept them but not give them out. So if you were given a Canadian $1 bill, the bar has had it in the till for roughly 15 years.

Ummm... what the???

How dead was this bar you went to???

They introduced our $1 coin in 1989 and phased out the $1 bill immediately afterwards - meaning the bank will accept them but not give them out. So if you were given a Canadian $1 bill, the bar has had it in the till for roughly 15 years.

HAHA I have no idea then....no it was a pretty busy bar....i went up bought a couple drinks.....gave him a ten and got 2 $1 bills back...i don't know

Hey Yellow Dart,

Back when I was a bartender, this would happen often! Our clientele was mostly Americans, and some of them dug $1 bills out of who knows where. However, when a customer would pay with a $1 bill, I would give it back for change as fast as possible - the reason being that modern cashdrawers now have 1 less slot for the bills. Less confusion = less mistakes = less money out of my pocket at end of shift.

Anyway, just a theory based on my reality.......

With all the costs associated with replacing paper money, Canada realized that it didn't make sense, back in the early 90's, to print $1 bills anymore. I bet the US will soon do the same. Don't you guys already have a $1 coin anyways? I remember there being a big stink that it didn't have Washington on it.

The sacagawea dollar coin never really caught on, and nobody really uses it anymore. I haven't seen any since about 2002, so I assume they stopped minting them.

I hope they keep the $1 bill. I'd rather carry around a wad of $1's than a wad of coins, and I always tend to wind up with a bunch of ones.

Twos are still in circulation and still being printed by the US Mint. Most people think businesses don't accept them anymore, but they are still legal tender. According to the Mint, they print a few hundred thousand every few years. The reason they lost popularity and everybody thinks they are discontinued is because it was introduced in 1976 for the Bicentennial, and people thought they were a limited edition thing, so they hoarded them and they never got widely circulated.

I used a two recently when I went to Taco Bell because I discovered I only had one $1 left.

The sacagawea dollar coin never really caught on, and nobody really uses it anymore. I haven't seen any since about 2002, so I assume they stopped minting them.

Yea, because stupid idiot America held onto them and never spent them, like they were some limited-edition novelty. I'd spend them and people would look at me like "I can't belive you're spending those!"

Morons. They should have temporarily stopped minting $1 bills. That would have forced the halfwits to actually use the coins instead of hoarding them in a shoebox somewhere. :rolleyes:

Yea, because stupid idiot America held onto them and never spent them, like they were some limited-edition novelty.  I'd spend them and people would look at me like "I can't belive you're spending those!"

Morons.  They should have temporarily stopped minting $1 bills.  That would have forced the halfwits to actually use the coins instead of hoarding them in a shoebox somewhere. :rolleyes:

Hey I only saved one, and then spent every other one I got. How many do you really need?