William Maley

Ford Police Interceptor Will Get 2013 Taurus Upgrades

Ford Police Interceptor Will Get 2013 Taurus Upgrades

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

April 25, 2011

post-10485-0-46863600-1303758523.png

Last year, Ford showed off the new Police Interceptor which will replace the long running Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. The Taurus-based vehicle could be equipped with either a 3.5 V6 with the choice of FWD or AWD or a EcoBoost V6 with AWD. Since then, Ford has introduced changes for the Taurus with a new front end, interior, and a revised engine lineup. The question since then is would the Police Interceptor see any of these upgrades. Ford product boss Derrick Kuzak told USA Today that the Police Interceptor will be using the revised Taurus. That will include the revised design and 3.5 V6 engine which produces 290 HP.

Source: USA Today

Who has bought this? I can't imagine a law enforcement agency using their limited budget on something like this when they could just stretch out the life of a few CVs.

The only new cop cars I've seen are the Chargers. Everything else has been CVs or Explorers (old model)

Has anyone seen a 9C1 Caprice or Taurus Interceptor in the wild yet?

The only new cop cars I've seen are the Chargers. Everything else has been CVs or Explorers (old model)

Haven't seen any yet...are they on sale for police use yet?

Around here, it's a mix of CVs, Chargers, Impalas, Tahoes (lots of Tahoes), Silverados, F150s and Expeditions, even a couple unmarked Escalades.

Who has bought this? I can't imagine a law enforcement agency using their limited budget on something like this when they could just stretch out the life of a few CVs.

There was a story a few days talking about the Austin Police wanting to buy 176 Crown Victorias.. http://www.statesman.com/news/local/austin-police-ask-for-4-5-million-to-1409441.html

I expect more of this to go on

No, not even the new Charger.. I would have expected to see one by now. All I see are Chevrolet Impalas, Tahoe PPVs, and Dodge Chargers. Crown Vics are a rare sight

The new Caprice I'm pretty sure will be in LA when first available as they have/had been testing it. No sightings yet, but the CV fleet is aging...

I think the Caprice PPV goes out in May. I do not know about Taurus.

I think the Caprice PPV goes out in May. I do not know about Taurus.

Good to know. I'm gonna have to get used to a new head- and tail-light design at night now.

I like this new Ford Interceptor. At least cops won't have to trudge around in Flintstone-mobiles anymore,lol.

the Taurus-PI won't begin being built until very late 2011 at the earliest - it can't even be ordered yet