Sign in to follow this  
Cory Wolfe

2012 Opel Astra GTC Officially Rendered

2012 Opel Astra GTC Officially Rendered

Full Reveal coming on June 7th

med_gallery_306_185_327893.jpg

http://www.cheersand...opel-astra-gtc/

Cory Wolfe - CheersandGears.com

Today, GM took the wraps off the new 2012 Opel Astra GTC sport hatch through virtual renderings. Slated for a full reveal on June 7th, this gives us an early look at what to expect beyond the concept version shown at the Paris Motor Show previously. If you live across the pond in Europe, you will also be able to place your order the day of the reveal. It's world premiere is still a ways off, when it will bow in Frankfurt, come September. In the mean time, take a look at these rendered photos. A short video was included, as well.

Press Release:

Rüsselsheim. These first images of the new generation Opel Astra GTC may show it in a virtual landscape, but as it races down an imaginary road, real test cars are now running final validation drives: The Astra GTC is officially a production reality. And on June 7 – in just six weeks’ time – Opel will reveal full details about the Astra GTC to coincide with its order books opening. Pricing, technology, equipment and powertrains will be laid bare, giving customers the chance to specify their ideal model and place an order early. The first production version of the new Opel Astra GTC will then receive its world premiere at the Frankfurt Motor Show, on September 15, 2011.

Based on last year’s Opel GTC Paris concept car presented early October 2010 at the Mondial de l’Automobile, the production Astra GTC will be a 5-seater, 3-door sporty compact car with dramatic proportions. It will feature the very best of Opel’s latest technology, as well as unique chassis features.

Though GM seems to have given up on 2- and 3-dr FWD models in NA, this car would be a nice addition to the Chevy line IMO...give it an identity distinct from the Cruze, maybe call it a Monza.

I think it's more likely that if it comes here it'll be wearing Buick duds.

The Hdlden Cruz hatch probably makes more sense for Chevy.

I think it's more likely that if it comes here it'll be wearing Buick duds.

The Holden Cruz hatch probably makes more sense for Chevy.

It just seems too young and sporty for Buick..doesn't fit w/ Buick's image of silver, comfort-oriented sedans w/ automatics. Could have made a nice little Pontiac.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

You'd be right if there were no such thing as the Regal or Verano, and Buick didn't spend millions of dollars on the whole "Sport Injected" campaign for the Regal. I could see this being a Verano GS.

Of course - I wouldn't complain if this came over as a Chevy. GM seems pretty adamant about offering the Cruze as sedan only in the US, so maybe this could fill the gap.

Can you say Buick Skylark?

I don't know if I can

I sure hope not...

Buick is using no heritage names today, and I feel they shouldn't start now (if this were to come over as a Buick).

I don't know if I can

I sure hope not...

Buick is using no heritage names today, and I feel they shouldn't start now (if this were to come over as a Buick).

Regal is not a new name...

• Upvote 2

I don't know if I can

I sure hope not...

D'oH! I was thinking Lucerne-LaCrosse-Enclave-Verano at that moment... however, Regal is a name I like, so I'll let it pass :P However, I don't feel that Skylark resonates with today's marketplace. It's a name from the past that has no meaning today IMO. Chevy can get away with Camaro, Malibu, Corvette, Impala, and Silverado. GMC uses only one heritage name - Sierra - all others are post '92 (Yukon is the oldest, dating from its '92 introduction). And Cadillac should go back to real names - the alphanumerics are not great, though CTS has good market recognition at this point (and ATS is on its way).

Bring it on as a Chevrolet Astra or, heck, Cruze Hatch. Sort of a Chevy GTi

• FWD, 1.4T, 6A, Starting $18K
  • FWD, 2.0T, 6A/6M, Starting at $23K

Still, I wish they would fix the 2.0T so it would be less torque heavy and make a bit more power... Instead of 220hp / 260 lb-ft, 260hp / 220 lb-ft would be better suited to FWD applications -- especially lighter ones.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if I can

I sure hope not...

D'oH! I was thinking Lucerne-LaCrosse-Enclave-Verano at that moment... however, Regal is a name I like, so I'll let it pass :P However, I don't feel that Skylark resonates with today's marketplace. It's a name from the past that has no meaning today IMO. Chevy can get away with Camaro, Malibu, Corvette, Impala, and Silverado. GMC uses only one heritage name - Sierra - all others are post '92 (Yukon is the oldest, dating from its '92 introduction). And Cadillac should go back to real names - the alphanumerics are not great, though CTS has good market recognition at this point (and ATS is on its way).

I would love to see Buick have a Skylark compact and a Full-size sedan called LeSabre. instead we have Verano and LaCrosse, both names have zero value to me other than they are Buicks and great cars.

I could totally see it here as a Buick, what name I'm not sure but bring it on over.

What do you think guys, a contest to chop up some inspiration for Buick?

Honestly...just swap the Opel badge for a Tri-Shield and add a waterfall grille. It could certainly pass for a Buick as-is, especially the rear.

Edited by Croc

Agreed on the little Pontiac comment, and the 2 and 3-door comment above.

As a Buick, it could work, though. If it is to use a heritage name, I prefer Skyhawk over Skylark for this model, as it conjures up a more athletic image, a hawk being a bird of prey.

Edited by ocnblu

As a Buick, it could work, though. If it is to use a heritage name, I prefer Skyhawk over Skylark for this model, as it conjures up a more athletic image, a hawk being a bird of prey.

Well I think we just found the first person who associates a positive connotation to "Skyhawk" instead of getting heart palpations thinking about that horrid J-Car.

I'll bet the majority of people out there don't even remember the Skyhawk. Though I'm not sure on either Skyhawk or Skylark. It honestly doesn't matter - if the car is good it will sell and make a name for itself.

Well I think we just found the first person who associates a positive connotation to "Skyhawk" instead of getting heart palpations thinking about that horrid J-Car.

Well from MY 75-80 they were built on H Bodys and looked like this 1975_Buick_Skyhawk.jpg

So yeah I'm in favor of it also. Though I wouldn't be put off on a non heritage name I DON'T like Verano. Buick has so few heritage names that are relevant anymore that they should build on future name recognition.

As to those horrid J Bodys how many here were old enough to drive one when they bowed in 82 they weren't horrid pretty decent back then just left to wither a little teething problems but remarkably reliable and cheap to own fun to drive with a 2.8-3.1L v6 and a soft top early I4 turbos were fun also.

Edited by 67impss

Why is it that there is such a good memory for a J-body from 30 years ago yet the sales of the Odyssey or G37 aren't affected by it's first generation abomination?

Why is it that there is such a good memory for a J-body from 30 years ago yet the sales of the Odyssey or G37 aren't affected by it's first generation abomination?

Short term memory loss..

And I do like the Odyssey and the G20

Because the J body was far worse the Odyessey or G20 (though the first gen of the G37 was really the G35, the FWD G20 is unrelated)....