2006 Saab 9-5 Review

HarleyEarl

I like these statements......

The new 9-5 marks 2006 as a year in which every product has been revised, from the more powerful 9-2x to the newly introduced 9-3 SportCombi, as well as the more powerful Aero models. The 9-7x, a North American-only version of GM's light-duty SUV, is also now on sale.

showing effort, that's good........ ^_^

The next-generation 9-5, which is supposed to show up sometime in 2008, will be based on an extended wheelbase version of the Epsilon Mk.II Platform, also slated to underpin the next-generation 9-3 product line.

with this new platform, maybe they will incorporate awd options....... B)

To go along with the updated 9-5 and the new 9-3 Aero range, there are rumours that General Motors could be showing off a new Saab concept in Frankfurt, which might be the final vehicle styled by ex-Saab designer Michael Mauer.

Now this is interesting as well.... a SAAB designer designing his last saab..... I wonder why his last? why an ex-saab designer? was he canned? did he quit?

either way, its nice to get at leas 1 last genuine design and also another concept seems interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

[attachment=65:attachment]While I'm not a fan of the new interior, I think it's good that Saab is moving away from the techno-button overdose look that's been keeping some people away from the brand. Having said that, they could've used different HVAC controls like the ones from the CTS, STS, SRX and a different radio.
I don't think Saab is losing it's flavor and if it is, then Volvo is going along with it. Take a look at the S40s interior. Not very Volvo-like at all.

Posted Image

With the radio head unit, they could've either spaced the interfaces out more or trimmed some of the dead 'fat' around it so you see less plastic and more silver/wood. Agreed that the wood cancels out the dull effect. As far as the S40, blech. Looks like someone melted a DirecTV remote into the console.

With the radio head unit, they could've either spaced the interfaces out more or trimmed some of the dead 'fat' around it so you see less plastic and more silver/wood.

Agreed that the wood cancels out the dull effect.

As far as the S40, blech. Looks like someone melted a DirecTV remote into the console.

[post="14943"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Still, I don't see it as an improvement. The radio control "box" is wider, so what they gained in height is lost by the girth. The A/C vents have more plastic around them, too... why does it need to extend to the hazard flasher button? The plastic seems to be blacker; it no longer has that metallic look. And I don't like how the trim around the speedometer is molded... it used to be sharp and clean, like looking into a showcase window. There's also less aluminum/wood on the lower console. And I can't imagine anyone from Saab thinking... "gee, that's a nice stereo/nav interface, let's use it!"

they didn't actually drive the car.... as for the interior, I agree the wood looks nice in this application, and hopefully some of the materials used are higher quality, but I hate hate hate that they used GM corporate radio and Hvac controls. It isn't cool in a Saab. Hurry up and show us new Saabs, or what they are working on at least.

I love the new interior with the wood. The Aluminum looks cheap and somewhat unfinished... I actually like the use of the corporate radio in this application. It looks nice as far as I can tell. I think they extended the airvent plastic to the hazard light button for two reasons: 1) It provides a more unified look to the entire center stack, and 2) It is easier to fit the wood around larger pieces of plastic than a piece of plastic and then a button. I know my father's DHS has a fit issue around the more intricate wood fittings on his dash, such as around the air vent shutter controls and hazard light module. Edited by Croc

UGLY, UGLY, UGLYYYYY!!!

Damn this is the anthisesis of the 9\3. I think the current 9\3 is one of the most elegen sedans ever, this is just gross!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

To me the new 9-5 is just a more aggressive version of the older car. I will reserve final judgement until I see it in person, but so far so good to me. I agree with the comment above that it's not a much more interesting proposition than the 9-3, especially with such similar engine options and better/more modern platform.

• 2 weeks later...
The interior redesign is a letdown. 1) The wood looks fake, especially because of the molded look around the speedo/tach etc. 2) The floor console is now black plastic. 3) The corporate radio head looks hideous in this application, though it's not bad elsewhere 4) The climate control should have a displa. Cars costing 10-15k less with automatic climate control have displays.

Looks like their priority on the interior was to build one that could fit the corporate radio.  It looks like patchwork. Yech.

[post="19862"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This was exactly my thought when I first saw it. They wanted to upgrade the interior to more modern look but failed to incorporate a matching stereo. Just the same thing as every other GM vehicle built for that model year.

Also, what's the deal with cheaping out on the SID? No SID, no heater display......... just a simple and cheap display under the spedometer. Looks like all the same options you would find on a Chevy cobalt with leather seats....... just on a biger scale and under the saab badge for 25000$ more.

Fucking money grab!

4) The climate control should have a displa.  Cars costing 10-15k less with automatic climate control have displays.

[post="19818"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

you like that digital stuff? i got a car with it... and all it does is take me longer to get to 65 than it is turning my knob in my other car to 65. same with radios, give me a display with the station number and THATS IT (and CD track number if applicable).

ill take the knob thank you.

I like the new 9-5 but the headlights bother me. Why do they have to extend so far down the side of the car? If they stopped the headlights b4 they got to the side of the car it might look better. The interior looks...ok, but overall its a good design. However, I'd still buy a 9-3. It looks better and less awkward.

I like the new 9-5 but the headlights bother me. Why do they have to extend so far down the side of the car? If they stopped the headlights b4 they got to the side of the car it might look better. The interior looks...ok, but overall its a good design.

However, I'd still buy a 9-3. It looks better and less awkward.

[post="22545"][/post]

Dont know if some of you guys have noticed but on a Saab, when you put the car in reverse, the extension of the headlights to the side is designed to illuminate around the car so you can see what is beside you.

Look closer on the older 9-3's and 9-5's and you'll se that the lights have an ofset that sticks out and when reverse engaghed, the whole side of the headlight lights up the curb and then some.... mucha safer and kinda neat if you ask me!

Check it out:
Posted Image Edited by TurboRush

you like that digital stuff? i got a car with it... and all it does is take me longer to get to 65 than it is turning my knob in my other car to 65.  same with radios, give me a display with the station number and THATS IT (and CD track number if applicable).

ill take the knob thank you.

[post="20638"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree! I drove a new SAAB 93 last year and thought it was a GREAT car.........except........all the buttons, info, chimes, etc.... Yes, it looks great, but I almost
got into a wreck just trying to get that info screen thingy to work right. Now, look at the Pontiac GTO, three simple nobs for AC/Heat, and a VERY simple and understandable display for CD/Radio. On top of all that it looks very high quality AND very clean. I think SAAB should get some interior ideas from it's brother, Holden (maker of the GTO, if anyone dosen't know for some strange reason).

• 2 months later...

that looks good. i want the look of the white inserts on the seats and stitching, but i want the benifit of the ventilated seats with fans

i do wish they would have used real aluminum around the dash

Posted Image

and this looks dated and not my speed 'tall

Posted Image

Edited by Minarets

i am a huge saab fan and i hate the new 9-5.... i mean yes it looks very mean... but its uglyer then anything ive ever seen!! and i like all of the buttons my car has... mine has i think wayyyyyyy more then any of the newer saabs... people get in and cant believe how many buttons there are.... but when its your car and everything is adjusted to your liking its awesome to have everything set and its not distracting at all.... ive never almost gotten into a wreck by adjusting anything! -Kaylan Marie

i am a huge saab fan and i hate the new 9-5.... i mean yes it looks very mean... but its uglyer then anything ive ever seen!!

[post="67042"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What turns me off about the 9-5 and 9-5 wagon is that it offers very little above what you can get in a 9-3. i don't see what attracts one to it over the cheaper 9-3.

What turns me off about the 9-5 and 9-5 wagon is that it offers very little above what you can get in a 9-3. i don't see what attracts one to it over the cheaper 9-3.

[post="67045"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What would atract me to buy a 9-5 versus a 9-3 is that the 9-5 still uses Saab's 2.3L engine block design rather than the GM engine block in the new 9-3.

The older powertrain is proven and is a solid engine that pulls like a train. There are a far higher ammount of performance upgrades for these engines.

I am not saying that the GM engine block in the 9-3 is not good, just that it's newer and doesnt realy have many upgrades on the market for it and the overall engine is less mod-able.

Get rid of the waffle vents. Although you could probably make waffles while you drive. That may come in handy if the kids are hungry and you don't want to stop for food on a long distance trip.

[post="67434"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I love the way the vents operate. They are way more solid than the slat type vents...

What's wrong with the new 9-5's interior? The corporate stereo head unit, that's what. What's wrong with the exterior? Um, I think you mean "What isn't wrong with the exterior" Gee, and I liked the 9-3 with all its buttons. To me, having buttons make the car seem important. No buttons at all = so what with me. *cough* i-Drive *cough* Plus, it looked cool. And if you owned the car, then soon enough you'd have all of the damn buttons memorized anyway!

We finally got one of these in our dealership. I must say that I like it MUCH more than in the pictures and the articles. I think that GM did a good job given the resources they had. I am up for a new vehicle in about a year and I am split between the 9-5 and the Buick Lucerne..........hmmm..........

• 3 weeks later...

We finally got one of these in our dealership. I must say that I like it MUCH more than in the pictures and the articles. I think that GM did a good job given the resources they had. I am up for a new vehicle in about a year and I am split between the 9-5 and the Buick Lucerne..........hmmm..........

[post="67864"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

same two cars for me also