Sign in to follow this  
mustang84

2009 Mustang info & pic

23 posts in this topic

Ford is taking no chances in their redesigned Mustang, and will include a retractable hardtop.

--Many executives at Ford wish they could have a do-over on the 2002 Thunderbird. The one piece removable top was a disaster and killed the Thunderbird right from the start. GM has raised the bar in sport coupes with the low end Pontiac G6 and Ford does not want to be in a Model T trap, where the rest of the auto world changes and Ford holds onto the past. Ford’s first test for the retractable hardtop will be the European Focus CC, shown at the 2006 Geneva Auto Show. If all goes well, look for the all new Mustang convertible in January of 2009.

Click the link below to see a line drawing of the "next" Mustang. It doesn't say whether this is someone's personal take on it or if it's the real deal, but from the pic you can see that the back end has moved away from the blockiness of the '05 to a more curvacious rear.

Mustang Pic and info

I don't like the idea of everything being a retractable hardttop. Mustangs can be quite practical because of their trunk space. Also, there's an inequivocal kitsch with a cloth convertible top.

Who cares about retractable hardtops... I'd rather have an affordable

pillarless fixed hardtop anyday. In any case if the ass of the Mustang

looks even close to that horrible sketch then I'll have to eat my words

about the Mustang II being the ugliest domestic car of all time.

Not feeling that curved-in rear end. They need to fix that droopy-looking front end. It looks like the car is sad and depressed.

Posted Image

maybe it's not liking the news of the ~08 camaro

"i'm gonna be competing w/ wha?"

A buddy of mine is a rabbid Mustang fan and even he agrees that the

current Mustang looks plain sad in the front.

I really like the current mustang.....my dad has a 69 fastback that needs a lot of work but it is sitting in one of the garages out at the farm....so that might be part of it....i hope the 09 looks better than that sketch. I would like them to keep it retro looking, but something better than that....as for the hard top, while that one is attractive looking (compaired to the g6 vert), it is impracticle as far as trunk space goes, but i won't be buying a vert anytime soon so whatev.

Why the hell is Ford complaining about being left behind by current trends? If memory serves, aren't they the ones who invented the retractable hardtop?

...FIFTY YEARS AGO?!

Posted Image

Edited by Turbojett

I believe a Citroen actually had the first retractable hardtop, but the Skyliner was like the first real car to have one.

I didn't notice anywhere in that article where they said "and this is what the '09 Mustang will look like". Heck, the entire article can be summed up by saying, "the '09 Mustang will offer a power hardtop convertible, in order to compete with the upcoming Camaro and the G6." The rest is just "blah blah blah blah blah".

Ew, that's gross. The taillights are right off a Mustang II.

I don't like the idea of everything being a retractable hardttop. Mustangs can be quite practical because of their trunk space. Also, there's an inequivocal kitsch with a cloth convertible top.

I agree......

There's too many compromises with a retractable hard-top......with the biggest being trunk capacity, especially with the top down. It doesn't seem to matter who does it, they all suffer (XLR, SL-Class, Eos, C70, G6.)

I'm sure weight suffers as well compared to a power soft-top.

Just look at the difference in trunk space between a C6 convertible and the XLR....!

Plus, I'm one of the ones that thinks a nicely-styled cloth top LOOKS really nice....a la C6 top and the BMW 6-series top......

The last two soft-tops that I had (330Ci, C6) were both nicely insulated from the outside and were relatively quiet for a convertible and never leaked a drop, even in a high-power car wash..

I think the fringe markets that would appreciate the hardtop (really rainy northwest, really cold midwest) are small enough to not really justify the expense in my mind.

One problem with this idea is that you could end up with one car replacing the coupe and convertable. For example I know Jaguar decided not to have a CC (coupe-convertable) version of the new XK as it meant they couldn't have the rounded rear they wanted. And for the investment it would have been 'that' or the normal 2 versions. I agree that keeping the clothtop verson and the normal great looking coupe was a winner for them. If the CC Mustang is in addition to a normal coupe, than no problem I say, but not a replacement.

One problem with this idea is that you could end up with one car replacing the coupe and convertable. For example I know Jaguar decided not to have a CC (coupe-convertable) version of the new XK as it meant they couldn't have the rounded rear they wanted. And for the investment it would have been 'that' or the normal 2 versions. I agree that keeping the clothtop verson and the normal great looking coupe was a winner for them. If the CC Mustang is in addition to a normal coupe, than no problem I say, but not a replacement.

The article seems to me like random speculation from some no-name website.

I think a retractible roof Mustang wouldn't necessarily be a great idea compared to a normal convertible--it would just add weight (to an already heavy car), complexity, cost, and cut trunk space.

However, a formal-roof hardtop coupe(think '64-68 notchbacks) version of the Mustang would be a nice to see in addition to the current fastback coupe..

Maybe it's sad cuz Ford is doing bad, if Ford ever becomes profitable they'll celebrate buy making the Mustang look happier. ^_^

Just hope it doesn't have a smile as ugly as this.

Posted Image

:rotflmao:

Not feeling that curved-in rear end. They need to fix that droopy-looking front end. It looks like the car is sad and depressed.

Posted Image

Didn’t’ notice if they changed the droopiness, but I noticed yesterday that they updated the frontend.

The made the fog lights smaller and put a thin par across the upper grill

Ford wants to keep up? I'd suggest AWD first. Maybe a retractable hardtop one day down the line, but AWD would be a better option.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this