SAmadei

What did you do to your ride today?

Wasn't today, but last week I got an oil change plus state inspection and emissions inspection, and no repairs needed for $180 total at dealer prices.  Not too shabby for a 10 year old German car.  (granted I did replace the front brakes and an air strut this summer)

No state inspection here either and my oil change will be about $30 and that's actually probably what I'll do on Thanksgiving because we'll have a nice weather day, about 55 degrees. 

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Mmmm- no inspection fee 'cause: no inspection. :D
Oil change is about $75 for 10 qrts and a big filter (I do 'em).

What do you mean when you say "big filter"? Do you use another filter with the same threads and gasket that's just larger? If so, why? 

No- I 'grew up' on smaller, car-sized filters. AC PF47s and such- about the size of a balled fist. This is about a 1 qrt filter, WIX 7202. Not sure offhand what my recommended change interval is, I only get a 'change oil soon' message if it runs that long, but that's only happened once (when I didn't reset it). I change it around every 6000 miles. With 10 qrts & a 1 qrt filter, it should be a nice long interval.
EDIT :: just looked it up: recommendation is 10,000 miles.

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

What do you mean when you say "big filter"? Do you use another filter with the same threads and gasket that's just larger? If so, why? 

I use a bigger size filter.  The OEM size filter is kind of small for the engine size and amount of oil. I realize that manufacturer probably engineered engine and filter with that size in mind but I change oil about every 10k miles (a lot of highway driving) and I think a little more surface area in the filter for extra cleaning is not going to hurt.

Plus, the extra size filter I use in my car is the OEM size in my wife's car that has same engine displacement.

Edited by ykX

Got the guys in the mechanical shop to change the earl in the Compass.  Turned over 32k miles this week.  Ordered my oil, engine and air filters from NAPA but they sent the wrong air filter.  Mine wasn't too dirty, so I sent it back.  6 quarts of 0-20 synthetic.  This Fiat Jeep takes the thinnest earl of any vehicle I've ever ownt.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Sold it.... CR-V is finally gone.

What did you replace it with????

Albert's dad isn't allowed to drive anymore, so we'll be taking his Cruze until we decide what we're doing.  Albert and I either drive together to work or he takes the bus, so a second daily driver isn't super important for now. If he gets a new job he is going for, that will change things.

20 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Albert's dad isn't allowed to drive anymore, so we'll be taking his Cruze until we decide what we're doing.  Albert and I either drive together to work or he takes the bus, so a second daily driver isn't super important for now. If he gets a new job he is going for, that will change things.

Which one would you keep as a second car, Cruze or Encore?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook