SAmadei

What did you do to your ride today?

7 hours ago, wavecatcher said:

Just had my newly bought Bushwacker fender flares installed on my 2012 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor.

Very cool, pictures please, would love to see it.

So my Chevrolet Trailblazer SS came with the Bose head unit and Bose amp with Bose Speakers. Last summer the XM satellite stopped working and as much as I tried to work with XM to get them to hard reset the signal to my head unit it just stopped working. So I canceled my service. :( 

Low and behold, the next morning the preview XM station started working again and then later in the day stopped, so no radio anywhere via XM for me. This spring the rear speakers started to on and off have a electronic buzz and wine and it would come and go, so I figure my speakers were dying.

Over the weekend, I came out from running an errand and turned the auto on, got in to go and all I had even though the volume was at zero, a screech from the rear speakers.

So I stopped by Car Toys here and they took a look and told me my capacitors were dying in the Bose system, common issue and seems to play out on the web as I am at 157,000 miles on the SS and it seems to be when the audio system dies.

I looked online for a new head unit, $1,500, new amp $400 plus tax and shipping, I was looking at 2K for the same thing and not even new. Both were refurb as there seems to not be any new units left.

So back to Car Toys https://www.cartoys.com/ and I ended up with a Head unit and backup camera.

Head Unit is Pioneer AVH-2550NEX 6.8 Inch DVD Receiver with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

SS-Head.jpg

Backup Camera is Quinn Acoustics QC670 Automotive License Plate Frame Rearview Backup Camera with Night Vision

SS-Camera.jpg

Have to say that the large touch screen is really nice, Android Auto rocks and the backup camera is great for tight parking in garages in the city or places where your normal shoulder checks and mirrors cannot help.

System sounds great as I still have the bose speakers, but over all cannot be happy and was only $1,400 including the connection harness that allows all the normal GM steering wheel controls to work.

YEA! :metal: 

Just realized the picture is fuzzy of the Head unit, will take an updated clear picture when I get home tonight.

• Upvote 3

Here is what the screen looks like on at night and a picture of the HD with night vision backup camera. Have to say they have come a long way in quality as my sons 2017 Jeep GC camera is not this good. Love having all the natural GM steering wheel controls plus the touch screen.

20190829_202832.jpg

20190829_202821.jpg

Trailblazer is pretty short, with a vertical rear fascia. I would think familiarity with such a configuration would render a backup camera superfluous. I back 237" into parking spots with no camera all the time.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Trailblazer is pretty short, with a vertical rear fascia. I would think familiarity with such a configuration would render a backup camera superfluous. I back 237" into parking spots with no camera all the time.

99% of the time I do not use it, but have found a backup camera when parking in  garages in Seattle make it a life saver of getting in close to the walls without hitting it.

Posted (edited)

I don't parallel park or back into spaces, but I find the camera quite useful in backing out of my driveway (I've spotted random joggers in the dark on the sidewalk w/ the camera, etc),  backing out of parking spaces (esp. when I have bigger vehicles on each side of me).... with the small rear and side windows and thick pillars I have plenty of blind spots.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

backing out of parking spaces (esp. when I have bigger vehicles on each side of me).... with the small rear and side windows and thick pillars I have plenty of blind spots.

This is when I've found them the most useful. 

44 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Not a BU camera fan.

I would think you would as a Trailer is the biggest benefit, talk about a single back up, spot on to the hitch, lower it, secure it and away you go. Easiest connection ever with a BU Camera and with the HD ones now, probably even easier.

Loving my new head unit with google maps.

Be it standard or satellite maps, this is the standard all auto companies should offer.

20190914_090801.jpg

20190914_100157.jpg

Even audio texting is great. Should have upgraded earlier than this. Worth the money.

• Upvote 1

Wash and deep waxed the SS for the fall / winter season.

20191014_165346.jpg

Costco sells a complete kit from this company for $39.99 that has interior detail liquid, exterior paint cleaner and the everything wax and then a all type of metal polish. Does an amazing job.on older normal paints as well as clearcoats.

20191014_165947.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@dfelt Your Trailblazer looks great for the year/mileage it is!

• Thanks 1