What did you do to your ride today?

2 hours ago, David said:

Worked this morning, watered my garden and then spent the afternoon washing and detailing my 2008 Chevrolet SS.

20200719_194613.jpg

20200719_194051.jpg

20200719_194538.jpg

20200719_194721.jpg

so, shiney and mirror like!

#ibizeverythingwax 

That looks great! My cars are due for their monthly wash and spray wax! I’m usually a big Meg’s or Mother’s fan, but I am really liking the Duragloss Aquawax I bought. The shine is nice, and it lasts for quite a while for a spray wax!

That stuff does look tempting though.......

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wash and deep waxed the SS for the fall / winter season. Costco sells a complete kit from this company for $39.99 that has interior detail liquid, exterior paint cleaner and the everything

When I was in the Philly area last weekend and driving around at night, I was noticing my headlights were pretty dim. Since halogens can dim with age and these are most likely the originals, I decided

Just came back from a night time test drive with them. So much better than oem so I’m going to order a set for the Encore also. But I definitely need to do the fogs as well. Don’t like the differing l

Posted Images

10 hours ago, daves87rs said:

That looks great! My cars are due for their monthly wash and spray wax! I’m usually a big Meg’s or Mother’s fan, but I am really liking the Duragloss Aquawax I bought. The shine is nice, and it lasts for quite a while for a spray wax!

That stuff does look tempting though.......

I will say, I use it on everything including the windows and black trim. Just makes it so reflective and new looking even though it is 12 years old with 165,000 miles on it. Built like a rock!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, David said:

I will say, I use it on everything including the windows and black trim. Just makes it so reflective and new looking even though it is 12 years old with 165,000 miles on it. Built like a rock!

I love to hear stories about auto longevity.  I try to run my cars "into the ground" time and mileage wise, but not condition wise.  I try to take care of them, both mechanically and in appearance.

When auto technology was changing, one wondered how long newer introductions would hold up.  When the trend was to switch from carburetors to fuel injection, the first report of longevity I got was from a college friend, circa 2004, that his 1988 Mustang 5.0 V8 had 188,000 miles on the original injectors and the fuel delivery system was still functioning very well.

Turns out that the ones on my car at that time lasted about another 100,000 miles beyond what he had on his Mustang. I'm guessing it's Bosch that is the prime supplier of injectors to the auto industry. 

As the saying goes:  take car of it, and it will take care of you.

• Upvote 3

Given the complexity of vehicles today esp. w/ the electronics, I don't know if I want to go for longevity anymore....10 years or 100,000 miles seems like enough.   There are so many systems in a modern car and failure points, and planned obsolescence of certain components..

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Given the complexity of vehicles today esp. w/ the electronics, I don't know if I want to go for longevity anymore....10 years or 100,000 miles seems like enough.   There are so many systems in a modern car and failure points, and planned obsolescence of certain components..

Usually rust eats the car away here before they have any big drivetrain problems here......

• Sad 1

Here's what I did for the car "lately" - within the last week or so, given it was around 100,000 miles:

Dealer - my usual dealer - lube, oil, and oil filter; cabin filter 

Dealer - NOT my usual one, and won't be - air conditioning service and charge

Costco - free tire rotation and balance (was told the Michelins are wearing very well)

Me - FRAM premium air filter with the red paper, Techron fuel system cleaner, and a full tank of Shell 93 octane to go along with that

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wire-wheeled / hand sanded 3 rims down, got 2 of them etch-primed for paint. These are for my ‘64 - if the powertrain examination/testing goes well and it runs/moves, then she gets all new brakes /tires.

3670DE45-3847-437C-ACFC-9F3DEAE9D705.jpeg

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

My 2500HD has sizable fender flares (factory). One rear one was getting loose at the front edge- turns out a few fasteners are missing BECAUSE THE SHEET METAL THEY USED TO SECURE THE FLARE TO IS ALSO MISSING.
I have some generic plastic 'plugs' that -after I found some solid metal- I drilled and tapped in; flare tight again (for now).

Need to look at brakes this weekend- have to tow a piece of equipment Monday for work. Brakes have been... feeling lazy, and the E-brake cable snapped a good 4 years ago now.

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

My 2500HD has sizable fender flares (factory). One rear one was getting loose at the front edge- turns out a few fasteners are missing BECAUSE THE SHEET METAL THEY USED TO SECURE THE FLARE TO IS ALSO MISSING. 

I parked beside a 2500HD of that vintage a while back, bright red w/ the flares...and the left front fender had holes as big as my fist in front of and above the flare...holes in the doors, ragged rockers,  holes in the rear fenders..yet the red paint was shiny and scratch free on the hood, roof and doors... 

Edited by Robert Hall

I have seen others of my truck's generation where the rockers are full of gaping holes. Mine are starting to bubble, but no holes there YET (soon). Doors and underside of cab are great. But both bumpers need to get replaced (I have them). Everything else body-wise is good.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Did the brakes- fronts were fine, rears were getting close to min but were glazed. Changed out the rotors & pads. I think I need to go back in & make sure the pads slide more freely, tho- I think they may be dragging some.
Parking brake is toast- shoe linings fell out on one side, and the cable snapped about 4 years back. I really should get that stuff together.
Also need to reweld one upper shock mount.

I took the valve stem insert OUT of the spare tire- the rim has gotten so rusted : A. I'd never use it on the truck, B. It just occurred to me it's possible it might blow off the rim, and C. the spare lowering mechanism doesn't work anyway!  🙄 Going to cut the spare down- why carry the weight?
Got a list of things to do before winter gets here... but every day I manage to duck work is because it's raining.

• Upvote 1

Those cable hoist spare tire mechanisms have been a problem since they started using them many yerrs ago.  Especially in salt climes.  Not sure if going through the motions of operating it at least once a year and greasing the hell out of the cable while down would help.  It wouldn't help the condition of the rim, surely.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/18/2020 at 6:19 AM, ocnblu said:

Those cable hoist spare tire mechanisms have been a problem since they started using them many yerrs ago.  Especially in salt climes.  Not sure if going through the motions of operating it at least once a year and greasing the hell out of the cable while down would help.  It wouldn't help the condition of the rim, surely.

Its why I have AAA. When I had a company van with a spare tire like this, someon else spent two hours getting it free when it was iced up in sub zero conditions. My wife brought a hot chocolate and a sandwich and I sat with her in our heated car and watched. 

On 10/16/2020 at 1:28 PM, David said:

SS and Escalade need a wash and wax for the fall/winter season. Rain has come back into the daily weather.

SS is probably my favorite ride of yours. 

On 10/15/2020 at 4:52 PM, trinacriabob said:

Got the power steering fluid changed.  It had been about 4 years and 50,000 miles since I last did it.  Feels good to refresh the car like this every now and then.

Got the timing belt changed on the aveo, it runs much better. replaced the serpentine belt as well. 

On 9/18/2020 at 11:31 PM, balthazar said:

I have seen others of my truck's generation where the rockers are full of gaping holes. Mine are starting to bubble, but no holes there YET (soon). Doors and underside of cab are great. But both bumpers need to get replaced (I have them). Everything else body-wise is good.

They do that religiously here in Ohio. thankfully I think I have a good decade or so on the Ranger before it starts. 

On 10/15/2020 at 8:00 PM, balthazar said:

Did the brakes- fronts were fine, rears were getting close to min but were glazed. Changed out the rotors & pads. I think I need to go back in & make sure the pads slide more freely, tho- I think they may be dragging some.
Parking brake is toast- shoe linings fell out on one side, and the cable snapped about 4 years back. I really should get that stuff together.
Also need to reweld one upper shock mount.

I took the valve stem insert OUT of the spare tire- the rim has gotten so rusted : A. I'd never use it on the truck, B. It just occurred to me it's possible it might blow off the rim, and C. the spare lowering mechanism doesn't work anyway!  🙄 Going to cut the spare down- why carry the weight?
Got a list of things to do before winter gets here... but every day I manage to duck work is because it's raining.

I don't even need ran to duck work, usually it's just a good book to read, and a warm cat in my lap. Work is done for the day. 

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Last night I washed all 3 auto's, SS, Escalade and Suburban. So they are all very clean, was a long but worthwhile 6hrs for a deep clean. This week is all sunshine in the greater PNW and into the mid 70's by this weekend.

This morning before I had to jump on back to back calls, I used my IBIZWAX waterless wash/wax to get the auto ready for a deeper waxing on the Suburban. So looking good, now I can put the IBIZWAX wax covering on it to have it protected for the rest of spring and summer. Then onto the SS and Escalade.

20210414_095242.jpg

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, ykX said:

@David  Any reason you are using this company wax products?

I am going to do it sometime soon, but never did wax before.

IBIZWAX is sold in a box package at Costco which also had soap for washing, the waterless wash/wax spray that I use to do an initial cleaning of the auto, their Everything Wax, Sheen spray for the inside of the auto and then the Headlight and metal polish cleaning material. Inside Costco it is $49.99

As such, I found it convenient to buy and use and been happy with the results. I am sure the online product offer if you want it delivered to your home to be good too I am sure. See below for both instore details and online that Costco offers.

IBIZ World Class Detailing Products | Car Detailer Products| Wax Direct

20210414_103713.jpg 

20210414_103703.jpg

Online from Costco, they have an alternative box'd package of auto detailing for $59.99

Meguiar's Gold Class Car Detailing Kit (costco.com)

Snag_2a43be7.png

• Thanks 1