What did you do to your ride today?

Robert Hall: 

"Im going to a Depeche Mode concert.  Yeah...I am enjoying a youthful renaissance lately  since I got my Mustang five point oh in order.  Really feels good since today's cars are just appliances you know.   

Yup!!! Im feeling REAL good!!!   Life is awwwwwright Ill tell ya!"

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9527j61tq9plp0dus4efx

Oldshurst442":

"ENJOY THE SILENCE!!!"

Robert Hall:

"Oh!  So you like Depeche Mode too?"

Oldshurst442":

"Nah! Nah!   Im just telling YOU...

you-pointing.gif

to enjoy the silence.

Shytty band then. Shytty band now. I mean, who else is going to that BO-ring concert anyway other than yourself. 

jerry-lawler-laugh.gif

So...

Enjoy thee.   Sigh-lence."

Robert Hall:

come-here-get-backhere.gif

"You'll need to be your own personal Jesus when Im through with you!"

Oldshurst442:

giphy.gif

"People are people, man!    Why should it be?   You and I dont NEEEED to get along so awfully!  Different people have different likes and neeeeeeds, man.  So...I made a wittle joke about your precious band, man! Its obviuos you HATE me, man!  Though Ive done NOTHING wrong.  

Robert Hall:

"Save it for someone who cares. Someone to HEAR your prayers!"

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

Nice sunny day, went down to the restorer's shop and picked up my Mustang and drove it home today.   94 mile drive on freeways w/ low traffic, hit the 65k mile mark driving through the Akron area.    Happy to have it home, with me again after 21 years apart.  I felt 25 again driving it... drives like a new 36 yr old car..tight and free of rattles, quick, loud, stiff springs and bouncy/jarring over freeway expansion joints...tiny side mirrors, no cupholders, comfortable seats though. It feels so small in traffic and sitting down low. Great to drive a manual again.   And so very RED.  

One thing that gets me is the realization that when I was 26, I drove this car from Ann Arbor, MI through Chicago to Colorado Springs over a few days..without cupholders, NAV, and only a rudimentary 1997 cell phone (Motorola Star-Tac).  How the world has changed in the last 25+ years.

Hard to get good photos at 3:30 on a late fall afternoon, so many shadows..   got a few minor things still to fix but no biggies. 

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

19 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Nice sunny day, went down to the restorer's shop and picked up my Mustang and drove it home today.   94 mile drive on freeways w/ low traffic, hit the 65k mile mark driving through the Akron area.    Happy to have it home, with me again after 21 years apart.  I felt 25 again driving it... drives like a new 36 yr old car..tight and free of rattles, quick, loud, stiffly spring and bouncy/jarring over freeway expansion joints...tiny side mirrors, no cupholders, comfortable seats though. It feels so small in traffic and sitting down low. Great to drive a manual again.   And so very RED.  

Hard to get good photos at 3:30 on a late fall afternoon, so many shadows..   got a few minor things still to fix but no biggies. 

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

That is so awesome, so happy for you Robert.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2023 at 8:42 PM, Robert Hall said:

Looking forward to getting it home and enjoying it again like I did in Colorado in my 20s. 

IMG_20231110_081053922_HDR.JPGResized_123_1.JPG

I just noticed this. That's impressive.

Was that an illuminated crucifix on the building's wall?  Drive-through religion?

5.0 liter V8? Manual? I'm thinking you probably would have enjoyed the twisties of the Front Range with a stick (even more).

- - - - -

What I was going to post ...

What did I do to my car today?

Well, I THOUGHT about the car.  It would have been its 16th birthday.

I sold it with 128K.  There is almost no doubt that, aside from smaller annoying fixes, the powertrain could deliver at least twice that.  They'll have to take care of it.  I'd hate to see a babied 3800 Series III not delivering the service it so easily can.

* sigh *

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I just noticed this. That's impressive.

Was that an illuminated crucifix on the building's wall?  Drive-through religion?

5.0 liter V8? Manual? I'm thinking you probably would have enjoyed the twisties of the Front Range with a stick (even more).

- - - - -

What I was going to post ...

What did I do to my car today?

Well, I THOUGHT about the car.  It would have been its 16th birthday.

I sold it with 128K.  There is almost no doubt that, aside from smaller annoying fixes, the powertrain could deliver at least twice that.  They'll have to take care of it.  I'd hate to see a babied 3800 Series III not delivering the service it so easily can.

* sigh *

It's a 5.0 w/ 5-speed manual.  I had a lot of fun with it in my 20s in Colorado...  there are a lot more photos in the Member's Rides section--but that part of the forum seems impossible to find. 

Edit: here is a link to other photos I added a while back:

I've been starting it once a week and backing out of the garage as the weather permits.  Looking forward to summer and going for drives on the twisty  backroads in nearby Geauga County.

And yes, that is a crucifix..the owner of the body shop is a part-time pastor I think.  Small town Ohio.  Steve Gump and his team at Hill Valley Auto does great work, very reasonable rates.   Newcomerstown, Ohio, about 10 miles from where my family farm was.  The '69 Mustang and '67 Cougar are stored there, they are working on the '69 this winter. 

I'm sure you miss your Buick..served you well for a long time..have a found a new ride in Italy? 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

On 1/14/2024 at 4:37 PM, Robert Hall said:

And yes, that is a crucifix..the owner of the body shop is a part-time pastor I think.  Small town Ohio.  Steve Gump and his team at Hill Valley Auto does great work, very reasonable rates.   Newcomerstown, Ohio, about 10 miles from where my family farm was.  The '69 Mustang and '67 Cougar are stored there, they are working on the '69 this winter. 

I'm sure you miss your Buick..served you well for a long time..have a found a new ride in Italy? 

As for the crucifix and all the other consistent demographics, don't get me started on schemata.  I could extrapolate and then some.

- - - - -

Yes, I'd have to say I miss it.  It and the Buick coupe before it were the most reliable cars I've had, bordering on almost unbelievable.

As for a new ride, I'm going to hold off.  I know driving has always symbolized freedom for me and I do do enjoy it, but I want to make sure everything gels a little more.  First, transit is very good and popular and I just got a monthly pass for 34 Euro!  That even includes some local train use, which makes it even more appealing.  As for cars, I will have to do some research, both in published form and by asking around.  I'll have be making trips back in both April and July, so I don't want to buy a car just yet.

- - - - -

At this point, I'll list some cars I'm considering (alphabetically) and ALL of them must be automatic.  With that comes learning whether it's a decent automatic and whether it appears to have been taken care of.

ALFA-ROMEO-MiTo-5593_22.jpg

Alfa Romeo MiTo - the most "exotic" on the list

Citroen C3

fiat-tipo-sedan-diesel.png

Fiat Tipo 4-door (only, not the wagon) - definitely practical and you don't see all that many

ford-fiesta-2013_7.jpg

Ford Fiesta - a little nicer looking as a coupe, IMHO       

Ford Focus

Hyundai i-10

Hyundai i-20

Kia equivalents to the Hyundais above or similar

10a-600x400.jpeg

Opel Astra - this was sold as a Saturn in the U.S.

Opel Corsa

20190906-113725412-9807.jpeg

Opel Karl - yes, it's related to the Chevy Spark, but the dash and finish inside are nicer

Renault equivalents to the cars in this list

2016_seat_ibiza_9_1920x1080.jpg

Seat Ibiza - now related to VW and it shares tech with them, but a little nicer looking than its Teutonic relatives

Smart four four

Toyota Yaris

VW Polo

- - - - -

I'll also have to consider whether I will default to a sedan even though most of the coupes are more attractive and will have to consider trunk capacity (I'd like to be able to fit one regular suitcase, a duffel or gym bag, and possibly the tote that slides on top of the regular suitcase.  Also, as with anywhere else, there are so many gradations in styling/appearance, trim, color, engine/trans. choices across adjacent years.