Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

COBALT SALES DOING GREAT!

"The Tribune-Chronicle reports that sales for the Chevrolet Cobalt through the first quarter of 2006 were nearly double that of the same period last year. The increase was seen on a month-to-month comparison as well. So far, over 52,000 Cobalts have been delivered this year."

Isn't that just because it was just picking up steam during this time last year? Maybe not, but I think that's the reason.

Whether or not that's the reason, the Cobalt has been doing well for GM; last year it was GM's best-selling car in retail sales (not including trucks).

Around here it is doing so-so. The salesman I got the Equinox from told me that for them the new Impala and the Equinox and the Torrent are their best sellers by far. The Malibu and Cobalt sell quite a bit less.

Good to hear..I wonder what the coupe vs. sedan distribution of sales is. I see coupes more frequently (probably 4 to 1) than sedans, though either is still an uncommon sight here in Denver, a heavily SUV- and import-oriented market...

Take into consideration that the HHR is basically a Cobalt wagon with unique styling. The HHR's sales aren't included in the Cobalt's sales...

Jan-Mar 06

Cobalt - 52,527

HHR -    25,308

--------------------

Total - 77,835

Is the HHR built alongside the Cobalt? If not, and we're just expanding to see how the platform is selling, lets add the Ion sales in there. :)

Wow, some of those comments from import sheeple are pretty blunt. My g/f's brother came here yesterday and he owns an 06 Cobalt sedan. Very nice ride I must say, makes me want one even more now. Only complaints I had were small cupholders, cheap console plastic, the long trim pieces that run the length of most of the dash looked just "tacked" on and thin seats. Otherwise I found it a very nice and compintent vehicle.

Is the HHR built alongside the Cobalt?  If not, and we're just expanding to see how the platform is selling, lets add the Ion sales in there. :)

No, this isn't a matter of "platform sales performance." This is more along the lines of how Toyota groups Solara & Camry sales together and Matrix & Corolla sales together. Sure, officially the Solara is the "Camry Solara" and the Matrix is a "Corolla Matrix" but both sets have different interiors/exteriors along with NO BADGING on the cars associating them together.

GM could easily combine the HHR with Cobalt by officially calling it the "Cobalt HHR." It really is just a Chevrolet Cobalt wagon but with unique styling... but, then GM couldn't group HHR sales in with light trucks.

GM could group the Monte Carlo and Impala together too, but I think that would anger a lot of traditionalists for both the Impala and Monte Carlo.

Maybe that helps to explain why I grouped them together to show total sales numbers. It's a better indicator of how Chevrolet's Cavalier replacement is doing. The Cavalier did have a wagon version once upon a time.

77k vehicles between the two of them is very good for 3 months, especially considering two of the months were Jan and Feb which are traditionally slow. The Cobalt and HHR also have significantly fewer fleet sales than your average GM vehicles as well.

the cobalt is a nice car. i would like to see them do some fine tuning with the interior. Add some bolstering to the stock seats, Make the plastics spec a little nicer and somehow i would like them to find about 3" more rear legroom. Offer the black interior in the sedan. I hope they offer the supercharged ecotec in the sedan and maybe even the new DI turbocharged one in the sedan too as well.

I think the first one in the "Readers Comments" needs to get his head out of the sand and compare a combalt to a civic and whatever else he said. Why does the GM vehicle have to be 100 times better before people condsder buying it over an import? Doesn't make sense to me. Drive both GM and another and compare it yourself. Don't listen to someone that thinks import cars ae the best or coolest.

I think the first one in the "Readers Comments" needs to get his head out of the sand and compare a combalt to a civic and whatever else he said.  Why does the GM vehicle have to be 100 times better before people condsder buying it over an import?  Doesn't make sense to me.  Drive both GM and another and compare it yourself.  Don't listen to someone that thinks import cars ae the best or coolest.

100 Times is a lot, but likely it would have to be much better. There are a lot of people that GM needs to earn the trust of again. In order to do that you have to make a much better product. The Cobalt is not that product.

How's the new Civic doing? IMO the Cobalt needsan update to keep it competitive.

Civic is at 78.5K, YTD and picking up steam (29K last month). But the Civic is very new so it probably isn't a fair comparison.

Assuming that about 1/3 of Cobalt sales are fleet sales (I've got no idea if that is accurate), that is 31.2K Cobalts bought by people who actually wanted them VS 78.5K Civics.

I'm keeping the HHR separate, because, although I haven't sat in one, it seems to be a much different (better?) vehicle than the Cobalt. What about counting the G5/Pursuit sales with the Cobalt?

IMO, the Cobalt only excels at being a Cavalier replacement.

Civic is at 78.5K, YTD and picking up steam (29K last month).  But the Civic is very new so it probably isn't a fair comparison.

Assuming that about 1/3 of Cobalt sales are fleet sales (I've got no idea if that is accurate),  that is 31.2K Cobalts bought by people who actually wanted them VS 78.5K Civics.

I'm keeping the HHR separate, because, although I haven't sat in one, it seems to be a much different (better?) vehicle than the Cobalt.  What about counting the G5/Pursuit sales with the Cobalt?

The cobalt is at least a full step forward. The civic is better in some ways (more power, better fuel economy) but worse in some ways (awful interior design, questionable exterior design, less cargo room than previous gen.)

The civic isn't as much of a step forward as a step to the side. IMO anybody that really pays a premium for the civic isn't very bright...if you want a premium compact..buy a Mazda3.

The cobalt is at least a full step forward.  The civic is better in some ways (more power, better fuel economy) but worse in some ways (awful interior design, questionable exterior design, less cargo room than previous gen.)

The civic isn't as much of a step forward as a step to the side.  IMO anybody that really pays a premium for the civic isn't very bright...if you want a premium compact..buy a Mazda3.

you're right, a premium generally is paid for the civic. it looks the part, it is incredibly substantial looking from the side profile, as good as a volvo s40, and more sophisticated than even the mazda 3. your complaints about design are very subjective, to me the civic is ultra conservative and doesn't have a pretty face like say the cobalt, but the lines are refined and modern and look like the expensive compact it is. the interior design again is subjective, and in all reality quality and design on the inside are not nearly where they should be in cobalt, not to rag on your vehicle. the cobalt does have a pretty face and a lot of other good things about it and can be had for a cheap price, unfortunately it's a similar position to what the cavalier had, however more refined the cobalt is. the civic interior also has incredible space and quality, it fits, feels, and sounds incredibly rich and elegant. I would say the civic is a great step forward, and the cobalt is at least the same amount forward but probably more. the problem is where the last civic was is much much ahead of where the last cavy was.

you guys seem to be inflating how well the cobalt really is doing. in comparison to the civic, cobalt its ass handed to it. NExt time around build something truly revolutionary GM.

you guys seem to be inflating how well the cobalt really is doing. in comparison to the civic, cobalt its ass handed to it. NExt time around build something truly revolutionary GM.

Cobalt's sales are up 80% compared to 1st Qtr last year. I sincerely doubt those are all Cavalier trade-ins either... so I wouldn't say that we're inflating its performance.

Cobalt's sales are up 80% compared to 1st Qtr last year. I sincerely doubt those are all Cavalier trade-ins either... so I wouldn't say that we're inflating its performance.

the name of this thread is cobalt sales doing great. in order to make this statement, you must have a qualifier for what you are saying. in the compact class, the civic sells 28k/units a month. that is great. the old cavy sold 24k-32k/units a month routinely. that is also great. those are your qualifiers.

saying it did better than 1st quarter doesn't mean much, and doesn't mean it's doing great either. it would be doing great if it could at least be closer to corolla or old cavalier sales. as it is, it's getting its ass handed to it. also, 1st quarter last year was ramp up.

Civic is at 78.5K, YTD and picking up steam (29K last month).  But the Civic is very new so it probably isn't a fair comparison.

Assuming that about 1/3 of Cobalt sales are fleet sales (I've got no idea if that is accurate),  that is 31.2K Cobalts bought by people who actually wanted them VS 78.5K Civics.

I'm keeping the HHR separate, because, although I haven't sat in one, it seems to be a much different (better?) vehicle than the Cobalt.  What about counting the G5/Pursuit sales with the Cobalt?

OMG....just yesterday I was bored so I went thru a bunch of the dealerships at the Irvine Auto Center and I sat inside a new Civic Si Coupe at the Honda store.

I'm not a big fan of the instrument cluster(s) in the new Civic but I've got to tell you that for less than $21K, the Civic just dripped quality and class in every way that the Cobalt doesn't.....and the Cobalt SS is the same price....and the SS Supercharged is a few grand more expensive than the Si.

It's one of those VERY hard to quantify, subjective opinions.....but the Civic just felt like it was built to such a much higher quality standard. The seats....the shifter.....the small-diameter steering wheel......the HVAC and radio controls.....the sound of the doors closing....the dash and door panel materials....the way the trim panels fit SOLID with no flimsiness to them....even the action of the inside door handles for goodness sakes.....

I still think I'd be more inclined to purchase a Mazdaspeed3 or a Golf GTi before I would the Civic Si.....but there's no way I can deny that this is a first-class little vehicle....WHATEVER you guys or I may think about it's actual styling.....

Cobalt is pitiful in comparison. Harsh? Maybe. But it's true.

Cobalt coupe DOES win the exterior styling battle in my eyes.....but that's about the only battle it wins. You can't even begin to compare the interiors....the Cobalt is so inferior to the Honda.

Cobalt coupe DOES win the exterior styling battle in my eyes.....but that's about the only battle it wins.  You can't even begin to compare the interiors....the Cobalt is so inferior to the Honda.

The Civic would win interior and fuel mileage, the Cobalt would win basically every performance test and exterior style.

The cobalt is at least a full step forward.  The civic is better in some ways (more power, better fuel economy) but worse in some ways (awful interior design, questionable exterior design, less cargo room than previous gen.)

The civic isn't as much of a step forward as a step to the side.  IMO anybody that really pays a premium for the civic isn't very bright...if you want a premium compact..buy a Mazda3.

Only because the Cavalier was a dozen steps behind. Now that they are one step forward they are still 11 behind everyone else. The bar was set low and they managed to get over it.

The interior/exterior design issue is subjective. I find the Civic interior to be much better than the Cobalt's (again, a low bar). The Civic interior is also much nicer than the Mazda3s (Mazda used plastic and controls only slightly less cheap than the Cobalt, but at least they packaged it a better). It is quirky, so it may not be for everyone.

It's one of those VERY hard to quantify, subjective opinions.....but the Civic just felt like it was built to such a much higher quality standard. The seats....the shifter.....the small-diameter steering wheel......the HVAC and radio controls.....the sound of the doors closing....the dash and door panel materials....the way the trim panels fit SOLID with no flimsiness to them....even the action of the inside door handles for goodness sakes.....

It's funny because I feel the same way...except the opposite. There was no element of the civic that screamed "quality" or "premium"

To be honest I could give a rat's ass about how the top of the dashboard feels...or any other part of the interior that I'll never touch feels. Every 15-20K subcompact has cheap plastic...it just comes with the pricetag.

I really don't why the civic/cobalt comparison always get brought up...but the simple fact is they are both competent cars in the class. Is the civic worth the 2-3K premium? I guess thats up to each person.

Only because the Cavalier was a dozen steps behind. Now that they are one step forward they are still 11 behind everyone else. The bar was set low and they managed to get over it.

I'm guessing you've probably never driven or possibly even sat in a Cobalt. Just regurgitating what you've read. Probably basing your entire opinion of the cobalt on the cavalier.

The interior/exterior design issue is subjective. I find the Civic interior to be much better than the Cobalt's (again, a low bar). The Civic interior is also much nicer than the Mazda3s (Mazda used plastic and controls only slightly less cheap than the Cobalt, but at least they packaged it a better). It is quirky, so it may not be for everyone.

I'm sorry...I don't even like the Mazda3 but it is head and shoulders above the Civic in pretty much every category (ok I don't know size dimensions off the top of my head) If there was a "premium" compact it would be the Mazda.

Hmm...how about talking to someone who has driven ALL of the compacts, eh?

Granted, after driving the Civic, I would have to agree that it is still the leader, no doubt about that.

On the other hand, the Cobalt is not that far behind.

Those you say that have not driven them back to back. And these weren't top of the line models either. (You know, the cars most people drive)

I agree with the O.C, the Civic is more refined, and it does have go....

But driving the Cobalt was more fun, as it handled better...

And even after being inside the civic before, I didn't feel the inside of the Cobalt was a major downgrade. They are not really that far apart.

It is the little things that the Civic beats it in.

Right now, the Cobalt beats the Civic in value, which is important considering the way gas prices are going......

OMG....just yesterday I was bored so I went thru a bunch of the dealerships at the Irvine Auto Center and I sat inside a new Civic Si Coupe at the Honda store.

I'm not a big fan of the instrument cluster(s) in the new Civic but I've got to tell you that for less than $21K, the Civic just dripped quality and class in every way that the Cobalt doesn't.....and the Cobalt SS is the same price....and the SS Supercharged is a few grand more expensive than the Si.

It's one of those VERY hard to quantify, subjective opinions.....but the Civic just felt like it was built to such a much higher quality standard.  The seats....the shifter.....the small-diameter steering wheel......the HVAC and radio controls.....the sound of the doors closing....the dash and door panel materials....the way the trim panels fit SOLID with no flimsiness to them....even the action of the inside door handles for goodness sakes.....

it's the styling. the SI interior is incredible. come to think of it, it's better than most anything GM has, excepting GTO and perhaps a few others.

I'd certainly consider the Cobie for my next compact car. A SS sedan in Burnt Orange and leather seats (wish I could get the two-tones from the SS supercharged) would be just the ticket.

Here's my question - I currently drive a Focus, and I love the way that li'l beastie handles, it's nimble and I can throw it all over the road. Has anyone driven both the Focus and Cobie and can compare how they handle?

Edited by Jazzhead