Need some cheap rollers

Camino LS6

For the Vette. The decades-old tires only hold air for a few hours, so I'm looking for a cheap set of wheels and tires that I can use while I'm working on the car.

Old mags would be fine, and the tires just need to hold air.

15x8 wheels with 205 70 R15 or 225 70 R15 tires.

Let me know if you run across a set at a cheap price.

The other alternative is to put the Camino on jackstands and use those wheels... not my first choice.

Get two sets of wheel dollies at Harbor Freight. $59.00 a set. Then you can push the car in any direction or spin it.

I used mine to push the '69 Firebird around in tight spaces... worked like a charm.

Assuming, of course, that you are on concrete. I had to push the Firebird around on plywood. Ugh.

Get two sets of wheel dollies at Harbor Freight. $59.00 a set. Then you can push the car in any direction or spin it.

I used mine to push the '69 Firebird around in tight spaces... worked like a charm.

Assuming, of course, that you are on concrete. I had to push the Firebird around on plywood. Ugh.

Love those things, and I could use them in the barn for all of my projects. But the Vette isn't here, and where it is, the tires need to roll.

You could fill your old tires with water. That won't leak as fast. But if you're preserving the steel wheels, that wouldn't be a good idea.

Its getting hard to find the old wheels. Hard to believe...

Love those things, and I could use them in the barn for all of my projects. But the Vette isn't here, and where it is, the tires need to roll.

Where is it? I would have figured it would have to be at your barn.

You can probably pick up a cheap set at a junkyard.

or - get a cheap set of steelies from the junkyard, then head over to a local tire place for a set of old tires. They'd probably give them to you since they have to pay to dispose of them.

or - get a cheap set of steelies from the junkyard, then head over to a local tire place for a set of old tires. They'd probably give them to you since they have to pay to dispose of them.

Hey, Z, whats the junkyard situation like on LI? When I'm up in Brooklyn, I want to try out some of the ones in western LI, but I don't want to drive out an hour to realize its a tiny place with huge prices and some Jethro thinking his Camry collection is gold. Any recommendations?

I would think its somewhat like NJ, lots of small expensive ones and a couple decent ones.

For example, in South Jersey, finding RWD offset wheels and tires is like looking for hens teeth and ends up being a $100 purchase because they want $25 each... even though they claim they can't get $$ for the rims and have to pay to get rid of the tires.

Hey, Z, whats the junkyard situation like on LI? When I'm up in Brooklyn, I want to try out some of the ones in western LI, but I don't want to drive out an hour to realize its a tiny place with huge prices and some Jethro thinking his Camry collection is gold. Any recommendations?

I would think its somewhat like NJ, lots of small expensive ones and a couple decent ones.

For example, in South Jersey, finding RWD offset wheels and tires is like looking for hens teeth and ends up being a $100 purchase because they want $25 each... even though they claim they can't get $$ for the rims and have to pay to get rid of the tires.

Well, the most "famous" yard on Long Island is Medford Auto Wreckers in Medford. By famous I mean it was once on an episode of Dirty Jobs. It's a big time salvage place, but they know what they have and can be pretty pricey sometimes. They're so big that they drive customers around the yard in some beater wagon to find what they are looking for. Most of the other yards let you walk around and possibly even pull it yourself. There are a couple of places in Setauket, Deer Park, and Quogue that are nearly as big. And there's quite a few smaller yards that you can get a pretty good deal.

The Vette is across town in my mother's garage.

Thought about doing the junkyard thing, but all the old stuff is either gone, or expensive.

Not much of a yard selection around here anymore.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/pts/2385477449.html

Well, if it helps, 3rd gen Camaro wheels frequently find their way onto S10s and G body Monte Carlos....

For merely rolling the car in & out, doesn't the offset only have to be 'in the neighborhood'?

Yeah, I think so.

But I'd hate to assume something will work without causing any trouble with shiny new parts I might be hanging on the car.

The real problem is tires - not much is still made that fits right.

My fear is that if the wheel is a little off, and the tire is a little off, bad things could happen to something I just fixed.

A bit paranoid, I admit.