29 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of phone(s) do you have? (click all that apply)

• Smartphone
    • "Dumb" cell phone
    • Home phone
    • IP based phone service, or Skype

I fiddled around with a Galaxy S6 Edge and while the concept is neat, the lack of real functionality doesn't warrant the extra $100. I also found it unpleasant to hold. 

But the regular S6 is a great return to form for Samsung. The camera is great and they've finally pared down the software. But LG's G4 could be a real contender too. 

Replacing my Note II is going to be tough. 

See, the way I use my phone (that is, mostly NOT as a phone) you'd think that I would go to a phablet like the Note... but I travel so much I'm afraid I would find it too bulky.  My S4 seems to be big enough.. and yet... 

Oh, and the Lollipop update popped up on my phone last night... but so far is failing to install for me.  I may have to unroot the phone first. 

It only took me about a few days to 'ignore' the Note's dimensions, and my prior device was a small BlackBerry Curve. While I don't travel, my Note is my office and is always in my front jeans/suit pants pocket. 

Nearly everyone I've met who has a Note or iPhone 6 Plus has no regrets. Once you become used to a phablet, you realize that anything smaller is just inferior. 

I still have my Note II as my personal phone.  My work S4 is about to be upgraded to an S5.  I plan to replace my Note II with a Note 5 later this year if it has an SD card slot and removable battery, two things that the S6 lost.

still rocking my nexus5 with droid 5.1. only annoying thing is the drop of reception here and there when around wifi (it seems). Straight talk is bumping up high speed data to 5Gb...... so maybe i should just turn wifi off when i'm not near my apartment on my next renewal cycle....?

overall my the upgrade of my Galaxy S4 to Android Lollipop went fine.  I don't know why it wouldn't work over the air, but I just plugged it into my laptop, upgraded through Kies, and all was well.   Did take a long time to upgrade though.

The new os is a big smoother, "material design" is eh... otherwise, it's like I didn't upgrade at all. 

The OS upgrades seemed to by hyped so much by the enthusiast community but they're really so incremental it's hard to get excited over them.. Just annoying when your not too old phone doesn't get them and you continue to run with the old OS or go with a new but slightly buggy ROM.

I really like the form factor of my wife's LG G2, 5.2" with a small bezel.  Still using the original HTC One M7 for myself.

Edited by frogger

• 1 month later...

I recently got myself a Z3 Compact and am really enjoying it so far. I was gonna root it but feel a little out of my depth there, so I've just customized it with Nova Launcher and an Icon pack.

The battery life is pretty amazing too.

Still have my Nexus 5. Honestly I'm just waiting to get the Nexus 6 at this point. 

There's a new Nexus 5 coming though

that's what i've heard... another LG ...nexus 5 ('15)?

similar to how the moto series has year models.

you heard something different?

Still have my Nexus 5. Honestly I'm just waiting to get the Nexus 6 at this point. 

There's a new Nexus 5 coming though

Don't know if I want to go LG again, plus I want the bigger screen. 

• 2 months later...

After my iPhone 5s died in a freak accident (fell off the roof of a 6 story parking garage), I replaced it with iPhone 6 a couple of weeks ago...happy with it so far, more battery life, bigger screen, more space (64gb). 

Will you get OS updates as Google releases them or are you hamstrung by Motorola and your carrier? I'm looking into the Nexus 5X on Project Fi now.

The MXP is sold directly by Motorola without any version variance and without any carrier intrusion, similar to the Nexus devices. Updates are supposed to occur within a quick timeframe.

Last year's Moto X got Android 5 before the Nexus 5 and the 2013 model got Android 4.4 before everyone else. But some 2013 models belonging to Verizon have been hamstrung, likely due to the carrier.

Will you get OS updates as Google releases them or are you hamstrung by Motorola and your carrier? I'm looking into the Nexus 5X on Project Fi now.

The MXP is sold directly by Motorola without any version variance and without any carrier intrusion, similar to the Nexus devices. Updates are supposed to occur within a quick timeframe.

Last year's Moto X got Android 5 before the Nexus 5 and the 2013 model got Android 4.4 before everyone else. But some 2013 models belonging to Verizon have been hamstrung, likely due to the carrier.

Now you have me looking at the Pure instead of the 5x. I think I'm convinced on that.

I have been debating for a while now which phone to replace my LG Optimus V with.

I really like the way the S6 looks, especially the S6 Edge, although the Edge is a bit awkward to hold. It's camera is arguably the best on the market right now. However, while its hardware suggests it should utterly destroy the competition in performance tests, Samsung's ungainly TouchWiz overlay keeps it from really living up to its potential.

There's also the LG G4 which has an impressive camera, especially for people who know how to use cameras. However, it too its bogged down by LG's UI skin.

I've seen plenty of instances where both the LG and Samsung phones' performances degrades substantially after a few months, and updates for either are slow. Both phones are filled with tons of bloatware as well.

There's the current Nexus 6 which is stock Android and a screaming deal at $349.99, but its massive and the camera is lackluster.

There's the new Nexus 5x and 6p, but besides the dumb names I'm not impressed with the 5x besides its size and the 6p will be starting at $700 I believe.

The iPhone 6 is still quite pricey and the 6S even more so. What's really interesting is that for the first time Apple's new phone doesn't have the best camera. In fact many head to heads comparisons show its barely better than the iPhone 6.

There's the HTC One M9, but who are we kidding? No one buys those with their terrible cameras.

That leaves us with the Moto X Pure Edition. It runs stock "pure" Android 5.1.1 with a few genuinely useful Moto apps that, from what I've read, if anything improve the user experience. The camera is much better than the previous Moto X's and while it still seems to have trouble in low light, is hardly bad. Fap's photos are proof enough, and with a 3rd party app allowing more control over the camera, some impressive things could be done with it. I like that it bucks the trend and offers expandable memory up to 128 GB and it can be used on all major carriers. If you sign up with AT&T and realize they're $h!, you're free to go to T-Mobile or someone else and bring your phone with you. Unlike the Samsung or LG it comes factory unlocked (with warranty). Since it won't be sold through any carriers updates should be timely too. It's already slated to get Android 6. We have a Nexus 7 and almost two years later Android 5.1.1 runs as smooth as it did when it was new. Stock Android is a revelation coming from OEMs with their own clunky overlays. I wish more manufactures would just let Android do its thing. Its spec'd pretty well too. Combine that with good hardware in the form of Snapdragon 808 Hexacore processor, Adreno 418 GPU, 3GB RAM, 5.7 inch 1440 x 2560 IPS LCD (interestingly not AMOLED like previous Moto X's), dual front speakers, the aforementioned 21 Megapixel rear camera and 5 Megapixel front camera, and you get a lot for a starting price of $400.

The other neat thing about it is the customization options via Moto Maker. I think I've decided on a silver trimmed, bamboo backed 32 GB model for $475. I've ordered a case for it and should be ordering the phone by the end of next week.

With all that said, a new challenger appears

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2988505/smartphones/the-lg-v10-a-photographers-dream-or-too-much-of-a-good-thing.html

• 9 months later...

i'm looking forward to the next nexus. my 5 has been a great phone, but my wifi stopped working ...~mid june. not sure if it's hardware or software, but haven't gotten the july security update. i know that caused some trouble.

but also the 5x at ~$250 is tempting.

this thread is almost a year old... looking forward to anything new?  upgraded lately?

i'm looking forward to the next nexus. my 5 has been a great phone, but my wifi stopped working ...~mid june. not sure if it's hardware or software, but haven't gotten the july security update. i know that caused some trouble.

this thread is almost a year old... looking forward to anything new?  upgraded lately?

A year old?  The first post was in 2011! lol 

I'm an iPhone guy myself.. awaiting the news on the next one as it is likely going to be my next phone. Every two years for me. I'm currently rocking the iPhone6 

I'm an iPhone guy myself.. awaiting the news on the next one as it is likely going to be my next phone. Every two years for me. I'm currently rocking the iPhone6 

If there is no technical reason to upgrade to the next iPhone, will you consider something else that is technically better or still go with the new iPhone?

Techwise, seems the last round went to the Samsung Galaxy as a superior phone over iPhone.

If there is no technical reason to upgrade to the next iPhone, will you consider something else that is technically better or still go with the new iPhone?

Techwise, seems the last round went to the Samsung Galaxy as a superior phone over iPhone.

Nope. lol

I like the simplicity and my familiarity with their phones too much. Unless it seems like it takes a step back(like if the 6 never grew in size type of thing) then I would. But the only thing I don't like about iPhones is that I cannot replace the battery. Other than that I've never had an issue. The only reason I wish I could replace the battery is because the end of my two years with it, it tends to eat through battery life. But I almost always have a charger on me as it is(home, work, car, portable one I keep in my back pack that I take to work every day). 

• Agree 1

I'm happy w my iPhone6, other than the battery charge life--but I keep chargers at home, in the car, at work, in my backpack so not a problem. I like the form factor. The Galaxy is a nice phone, but way too big. It's more of a woman's purse phone than a man's front pocket phone. I'll probably get whatever the current iPhone is in about a year or so when this ones contract is up.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

• 1 year later...

Finally replaced my iPhone 6..had it almost 3 years...battery wasn't holding a charge, and it was starting to randomly hang/freeze up and not take input from the touch screen.  Ordered an iPhone 8 w/ twice the capacity and had it in 2 days, was easy to set up and re-sync everything w/ iCloud.   Working great,  much better battery life.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Finally replaced my iPhone 6..had it almost 3 years...battery wasn't holding a charge, and it was starting to randomly hang/freeze up and not take input from the touch screen.  Ordered an iPhone 8 w/ twice the capacity and had it in 2 days, was easy to set up and re-sync everything w/ iCloud.   Working great,  much better battery life.  

I also changed from my Note 3 to a Note 8, awesome upgrade I will say. :metal:  New Phones rock.

Just now, dfelt said:

I also changed from my Note 3 to a Note 8, awesome upgrade I will say. :metal:  New Phones rock.

My sister loves her Galaxy 7--the Samsungs do seem to have great battery life and great camera.   

Had to replace my Note 5 last month due to physical damage :(

Got a good deal on a OnePlus 5T that has as much ram as my PC (8gb).  So far, so good, love the 7+ hours screen time on a charge and 25 miinutes charging to get me through an average day (from 50 or so to 85% for around 2-3hrs screen time).

Also love the very lightly tweaked Android and Treble support.

11 minutes ago, frogger said:

Had to replace my Note 5 last month due to physical damage :(

Got a good deal on a OnePlus 5T that has as much ram as my PC (8gb).  So far, so good, love the 7+ hours screen time on a charge and 25 miinutes charging to get me through an average day (from 50 or so to 85% for around 2-3hrs screen time).

Also love the very lightly tweaked Android and Treble support.

I never got anything close to that with my Nexus 6P when even when it was new.  I don't know why I keep ending up with these borked phones.  Even my work iPhone 6s has issues.  Physically, my phones are museum pieces in lack of dings or cracks. They just run frustratingly bad. 

The only phone I've had that ran great was my old blackberry, but that's because there weren't any apps to use. 

10 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I never got anything close to that with my Nexus 6P when even when it was new.  I don't know why I keep ending up with these borked phones.  Even my work iPhone 6s has issues.  Physically, my phones are museum pieces in lack of dings or cracks. They just run frustratingly bad. 

The only phone I've had that ran great was my old blackberry, but that's because there weren't any apps to use. 

Previous phones I was happy to get 3-4 hours. I  think the Snapdragon flagship chips of 2017 and 2018 (SD 835, 845) are very efficient. I find certain apps drain the battery even when idle so I tend to monitor that and uninstall them as they are usually not critical.  I uninstalled my work VOIP app as an example.  I only use it as an emergency when I'm on vacation, so I install it when I take time off.

14 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I still have a 6 and it's pushing 4 years old. I've had the battery replaced twice and it works almost like new after each replacement. 

I'm awaiting this year's Apple phones to finally replace mine. None of them have been THAT much better to drop the cash, in my mind. 

16 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I still have a 6 and it's pushing 4 years old. I've had the battery replaced twice and it works almost like new after each replacement. 

I'm awaiting this year's Apple phones to finally replace mine. None of them have been THAT much better to drop the cash, in my mind. 

I figure I'll look at this years new phones in 2 years...no rush.  My old one only had 64gb ram, kept filling up, it would hang, and every time it would try to update the OS it would fail...was stuck on iOS 10.x.   I'm glad I replaced it. 

48 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I figure I'll look at this years new phones in 2 years...no rush.  My old one only had 64gb ram, kept filling up, it would hang, and every time it would try to update the OS it would fail...was stuck on iOS 10.x.   I'm glad I replaced it. 

Oh, Damn. Yeah that would be frustrating. Mine has updated iOS just fine, so far. It's currently on 11.4.1

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Oh, Damn. Yeah that would be frustrating. Mine has updated iOS just fine, so far. It's currently on 11.4.1

That's what my new 8 is on.  Because I couldn't get iOS to update, I couldn't run my Chase banking app any more since they updated to support 11.x only, etc.   Just got to be a hassle dealing w/ it.  So far the lack of the headphone jack is not a big deal (have a dongle for that--though when I'm working on my Mac laptop I listen to content on it rather than the phone). 

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

That's what my new 8 is on.  Because I couldn't get iOS to update, I couldn't run my Chase banking app any more since they updated to support 11.x only, etc.   Just got to be a hassle dealing w/ it.  So far the lack of the headphone jack is not a big deal (have a dongle for that--though when I'm working on my Mac laptop I listen to content on it rather than the phone). 

The lack of a headphone jack wouldn't bother me(I don't think). I use a wired headphone set to and from work and on lunch but I don't see how using the dongle would bother me and my workout set are wireless, where moving the phone around with a dongle would likely be more bothersome. 

4 hours ago, frogger said:

Previous phones I was happy to get 3-4 hours. I  think the Snapdragon flagship chips of 2017 and 2018 (SD 835, 845) are very efficient. I find certain apps drain the battery even when idle so I tend to monitor that and uninstall them as they are usually not critical.  I uninstalled my work VOIP app as an example.  I only use it as an emergency when I'm on vacation, so I install it when I take time off.

I'm on an 810 I think. 

51 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'll probably get some wireless ear buds eventually to try.    

I have like 5 different sets of bluetooth headphones

31 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have like 5 different sets of bluetooth headphones

I think I have a set around somewhere.. Sony wired earbuds w/ a microphone have been fine so far for phone calls..  though when I'm walking and talking as I often do the wire gets tangled up on stuff...

5 hours ago, frogger said:

Totally agree with the uninstall unneeded aps or at least on the Samsung phones, so easy to truly end the app running when your done. Running in the background so chews up battery life.

I like that my Note 8 still has a stereo jack port, yet I rarely use it and my headphones are good ones but I just do not see a reason to spend the money on wireless ones when I so rarely use them.