DF's Lawn Mower Repair Thread

Several members have little projects going on, I figured I'd have a thread for mine. This will be an ongoing thread, if for no other reason than because I like documenting my progress.

After building my own mower and rekindling an hobby I had when I was younger, I thought it might be fun to fix and flip mowers for some extra crash and as something to do.

I went from having no lawn mower to having 6! Not sure how that even happened but that's ok.

The first one is of course the Brute, which is my keeper.

IMG_8558.jpg

To build it I was given a donor mower with a good engine that needed TLC and a well used but still solid deck.

IMG_8522.jpg

After that was finished I came across a couple of mowers on CL in running condition for $10. One had "deck issues".

IMG_8569.jpg

IMG_8590.jpg

IMG_8570.jpg

IMG_8589.jpg

And by deck issues they meant tow of the wheels had rotted off...

IMG_8581.jpg

IMG_8579.jpg

No matter though, as luck would have it, I had a spare!

IMG_8586.jpg

IMG_8591.jpg

Then I was given this guy.

IMG_8617.jpg

IMG_8621.jpg

Didn't run, but some new gaskets, primer, fuel system and carburetor cleaning and a general tune up later and its all set and currently for sale.

Then a couple days ago I was given this one. Same deck as the green one, same wheels, although this one has all four of its originals. It was very dirty, like it had been unearthed. Haven't been able to get it to start yet.

IMG_8638.png

• Agree 1

The current project is this one, an MTD (all of these mowers except the Brute are MTDs) Yard Machines 114-034F000.

Unlike the other one, which is pretty identical, this deck seemed solid, just pretty rough, so I elected to "restore" it. I want to get better at painting anyway, so its a good project I don't have to worry about making mistakes on, since it won't look any worse! I was originally going to just do the top, but after uncovering some small rust holes I decided it would be best to sand down the whole thing and patch the holes with Plastic Metal.

This is how it looked when I got it.

IMG_8583.jpg

And after a good pressure washing, took a bunch of the paint off it!

IMG_8597.jpg

IMG_8622.png

IMG_8627.png

IMG_8629.png

IMG_8631.png

Ready to prime!

IMG_8634.png

IMG_8637.png

• Agree 1

I should be soon, the Yard Man is for sale now and this one I'm painting is pending sale upon completion, which means I'll be closer to my suspension redo.

I don't plan to do complete deck overhauls like this too much, as it takes a lot of time and a fair bit a money, unless the mower is worth it. I think normally I would sand down the top of the deck, prime it, and paint it if it needed to be repainted. However, this one had some minor issues that needed taking care of and I want to practice painting and see how well bed liner works.

Yeah I was referencing Mr. Dart's NASCAR thread in regards to fuel injection. You should build a B&S motor with injection, supercharger, water cooling and tubular header. Stick it on a flamed-out deck and put Viper wheels on it.:metal:

Well the Yard Man sold today for $70 and he traded me his mower, which is a nice one that doesn't run. He also wants to come back when it needs servicing so I've got a repeat customer now. I should make up some business cards. Feeling pretty good about that. :) New suspension here I come!

Thursday I came home from work to find a mower next to the garage. They've started reproducing! This one is a Craftsman 22" with a Tecumseh mower. This one would briefly run with starter fluid, so today I pulled off the carburetor and found the fuel had gelled up really bad an corroded the bowl and metal float. Picked up a new float, blow, seat and pin kit, and primer. Cleaned the carb up real good, put the new parts in, cleaned out the fuel tank and put new fuel line on. Pulled over first try. I'm really happy about that. All it needs now is the blade sharped and its all set to sell, and I may already have a buyer for it.

IMG_8642.png

IMG_8643.png

IMG_8644.png

IMG_8646.png

Meanwhile, my other project is coming along. It's actually all painted now but haven't got photos yet. I do have some of the underside, the bed liner came out good I think.

IMG_8641.png

IMG_8639.png

• Agree 1

They also whore your personal info, as I learned from my neighbor who had them printed. With that said I can just buy some business card paper and print it myself.

My problem now is that I have more people looking for mowers than I have mowers ready! :lol: Tomorrow's going to be a busy day before work...maybe I'll get one of the other two I have ready.

Thursday I came home from work to find a mower next to the garage. They've started reproducing! This one is a Craftsman 22" with a Tecumseh mower. This one would briefly run with starter fluid, so today I pulled off the carburetor and found the fuel had gelled up really bad an corroded the bowl and metal float. Picked up a new float, blow, seat and pin kit, and primer. Cleaned the carb up real good, put the new parts in, cleaned out the fuel tank and put new fuel line on. Pulled over first try. I'm really happy about that. All it needs now is the blade sharped and its all set to sell, and I may already have a buyer for it.

You'll make money on these all day long. People leave them out in the rain too many times, and every one I ever see has the same problem.

As for business cards, I've used overnightprints.com for relatively quick, small runs. Anything bigger that required real professionalism, I farm out locally.

They also whore your personal info, as I learned from my neighbor who had them printed. With that said I can just buy some business card paper and print it myself.

My problem now is that I have more people looking for mowers than I have mowers ready! :lol: Tomorrow's going to be a busy day before work...maybe I'll get one of the other two I have ready.

Put an ad on Craigslist, "Throwing out an old mower? Call me, I'll come pick it up!"

• 2 weeks later...

Right, well its been a bit so some quick filler:

I sold the Craftsman and got the mower that was given to me when the buyer picked up the Yard Man. He had tipped the whole thing upside down and got oil all over the engine, so I swapped it out for a Tecumseh engine from that rotted out mower and it was good to go. I actually like the way this one look, really low and slender.

IMG_8647.png

IMG_8648.png

IMG_8649.png

Come to find out that the Craftsman had been left behind by the scrap guy...for me to fix...but the note blew away or something. I felt really bad about it, but we had a good laugh (so did my neighbor) and I gave him this one. He was happy and supposedly will give me 3 mowers he has.

There's the one, which was given to me, but won't run for anything yet.

IMG_8638.png

It's the same deck as that green one I still have (use it as a test bed). Hopefully withe some new parts I'll get it to run. Then a quick repaint of the top of the deck.

• Agree 1

I got a mower given to me by a coworker, a Weed-Eater with a Briggs 450 Series on it. Doesn't run. It's filthy, carburetor is dirty, fuel is old, and the diaphragm is dry-rotted. Once I get some diaphragms in I should be able to get it going.

IMG_8710.jpg

IMG_8708.jpg

Here's a Yard Man with its massive OHV engine. One of two free mowers that were given to me a few days prior.

IMG_8731.jpg

IMG_8730.jpg

IMG_8729.jpg

I've managed to locate the rest of the air box and I think a Briggs magneto will fit it, but there's still the issue of parts, namely the recoil. I'm sure I'll find stuff eventually. I've never played with an OHV lawn mower engine. It's truly massive. I hope I can get it running.

And this is the other mower, a MTD 11A-414F352. It's identical to the Weed Eater save for the steel bag door vs the Weed Eater's plastic one, and it has a more spiffy engine cover. Same problems too, except the the diaphragm was still good, so I didn't need to order any parts.

IMG_8704.jpg

IMG_8705.jpg

IMG_8706.jpg

IMG_8707.jpg

It sucks when previous owners try to take it apart and don't keep track of the parts. This one wasn't as bad, but all of the bolts were just left on the deck with all of the dirt and leaves.

So I cleaned out the tank and carburetor, and replaced the governor spring. Runs like a champ now. Fixed the messed up wheel height adjuster on the front left side, and straightened the two front wheels. Took some of my $0.95 Meguiars rubbing compound to its beat up paint. Good stuff.

IMG_8711.jpg

IMG_8713.jpg

IMG_8714.jpg

IMG_8715.jpg

IMG_8716.jpg

IMG_8721.jpg

IMG_8722.jpg

IMG_8723.jpg

IMG_8718.jpg

IMG_8724.jpg

IMG_8719.jpg

IMG_8725.jpg

• 1 year later...

Haven't really updated this in a while, and the I'm too lazy to gather up all the images, but I would like to share this latest save.

This thing was on its way to scrap when it got dropped off at my house by the trash guy, and how it looked the day it arrived. It certainly looked the part! I do enjoy a challenge though. Let's see what can be done...

IMG_9542.jpg

This is one of those interesting case studies that makes you wonder what on earth the owner did to it during its life. I figured it was just missing the shroud from an attempt to fix it and they just threw it out without the shroud, but it must have been off for a while.

IMG_9771.jpg

Around front, we see that it has the wrong spark plug, and that the governor spring was stretched out and wrapped around the throttle control spring!

IMG_9772.jpg

Because I didn't have an extra handy, I did what I could to make this one useable.

IMG_9774.jpg

IMG_9775.jpg

I also found that it has the incorrect blade installed crooked on the blade adapter, there was water in the gas tank and carburetor, and the oil came out gray-ish. What a mess!

I ended up painting the underside of the deck, the blade adapter, and mounting bolt.

IMG_20120820_193537.jpg

IMG_9791.jpg

I also painted the lower sides of the deck, as well the engine (high heat paint), and the tank. It's got a brand new air filter assembly too.

The shroud I used came from this MTD mower whose smoking but usable engine went onto my neighbor's Weed Eater.

IMG_8638.png

The shroud has a 2-piece cover, a metal silver lower piece and a black plastic upper piece. Since the engine;s gone and the deck is unused, I decided I might as well put them on this Poulan. First thing was first though, to make it looks presentable, so I sanded it and used some Rust-oilum silver metallic. First time using that paint, gotta say it covers super well.

IMG_9788.jpg

IMG_9793.jpg

The end result:

IMG_9797.jpg

IMG_9798.jpg

IMG_9800.jpg

IMG_9801.jpg

IMG_9802.jpg

IMG_9803.jpg

IMG_9804.jpg

IMG_9805.jpg

IMG_9819.jpg

IMG_9820.jpg

Haven't really updated this in a while, and the I'm too lazy to gather up all the images, but I would like to share this latest save.

This thing was on its way to scrap when it got dropped off at my house by the trash guy, and how it looked the day it arrived. It certainly looked the part! I do enjoy a challenge though. Let's see what can be done...

IMG_9542.jpg

The end result:

IMG_9800.jpg

IT LIVES!!!

Edited by Turbojett

Hey, DF, I see that a lot of the lawnmowers have those adjustable, flimsy front wheel mountings... have you had any luck keeping them from getting wobbily?

The Craftsman I use drives me nuts as the wheels are constantly toed out with the tops leaning in. The looseness is not from one spot, its just overall flimsiness. Have you found a solution? Or a source for the part that's flimsy?

I'm on the verge of replacing the fronts with a nonadjustable straight axle, as the Morty Feldman front wheels make it hard to push and get caught on everything.

A very good question.

The reason this happens is because on most mowers, except the higher-end models have plastic wheels over solid axles. If they aren't greased with marine grease, the friction of the plastic on metal eventually wears down the wheel. Once in a while the metal axle itself gets worn, but 9/10 its the plastic wheel. Higher end mowers have ball bearing wheels so this is never an issue.

There is a fix though. You could either buy new wheels (which aren't cheap) or axles depending on which its, but also not cheap since usually they are part of teh whole eight adjusting assembly. Or you could what I've done.

Here is the what I used: a 1/2 x 5/8 x 1-1/2 steel spacer.

IMG_8993.jpg

IMG_8994.jpg

It should slide right over the existing axle, at least it has on two different mowers so far for me.

IMG_8995.jpg

IMG_8996.jpg

Grease it up, I use marine grease since its waterproof.

IMG_8988.jpg

Drill a hole in the wheel slightly larger than the spacer. I use a 41/64 spacer and a drill press. The drill size is ideal because it allows just enough room for the spacer to fit through without excessive play. The drill press makes it easy to drill straight.

IMG_8989.jpg

Install the wheel. Because the spacer is a bit longer than the original axle, I used a washer as a spacer to prevent side to side play.

IMG_8991.jpg

Then just install the nut and she's better than new!

IMG_8992.jpg

Assuming you have the drill bit total cost of parts is about $3. This, compared to axles which can go anywhere from $4 to $15 maybe even higher and wheels that can go from $15 to $25 or more and this is a cheap, effective solution I think. In fact, if your wheels have center caps you'll never even know it wasn't original.

Interesting. I'll have to double check mine... I didn't think the wheels were the where the bulk of the wobble was... I was focusing on the adjuster-to-body part, which seemed to be where my wobble was worst. In fact, my original "solution" involved putting a length of threaded rod between the adjusters (over the body), but this was not a workable solution long term.

Perhaps if I can eliminate wobble here and there, it would be good enough.

• 2 years later...

This is an awesome thread and hobby! I genuinely want to get an old scrappy lawnmower and try and fix'r up now. I have zero experience working on small engines or even carbed engines.. okay just a tiny bit with carbs but basically none. The one carbed engine I fiddled around with was a '96 Yamaha Jog scooter(2 stroke).

Well since it was requested, let's "spam" this thread with some of the fun mowers I've come across since then.

This was a Craftsman push mower I got as trade for a small Murray I sold. I didn't get any pictures before I started work on it, which is too bad, but this poor thing was beat to ****.

IMG_0052.jpg

I was prepared to declare this thing a total loss. The brackets that hold the handlebars and wheels on were both so loose that the handlebars couldn't stay upright and the whole assembly would just rotate freely. All of the movement had caused the tabs that help hold the bracket in place to tear into the metal deck, and on one side the metal was so worn around the main bolt it was almost big enough for the nut to come out.

The problem seems to be that when it was assembled, he neglected to put the secondary retaining bolts in to keep the bracket secure. I used 1/4 bolts with locking nuts, straightened the deck, replaced an axle bolt after it sheered, and used a big washer to help compensate for the enlarged hole where the axle bolt goes through. I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the results. Once I got it all back together the brackets were nice and tight with no play, and the wheels and handle bars had no play either.

Here's a look at the repair.

IMG_0059.jpg

It also had a sheered of muffler.

IMG_0055.jpg

And the engine mounting points were cracked on the deck from the mutilated blade being so off balance. I had the deck welded back together by a friend, then repainted the deck using a automotive metallic gray from the parts store.

IMG_0403_zps07b608f2.jpg

Some clear coat, wet sanding, rubbing compound, and required parts later, its hard to believe they're the same machine.

IMG_0425_zpsbb994f63.jpg

IMG_0423_zps54f3776f.jpg

IMG_0428_zpse156a9eb.jpg

This freebee is an Ariens 911029. Didn't run and the deck's powder coat finish had begun to peel and rust.

IMG_20130522_173733_zps46dc1f9d.jpg

Chevrolet Orange engine enamel is petroleum and heat reistant and is as close a match as you'll ever find to Ariens Orange

IMG_0456_zps61b0ebff.jpg

IMG_0457_zpse41adde9.jpg

Ariens-Mower_zpsc8041cbf.jpg

IMG_0482_zpsb3cd03cc.jpg

This is quite the machine too. Very heavy steel deck, friction disc, variable speed drive system, electric start, and a Blade Brake Clutch (BBC). I sold it for $300.

A funny thing happened though...

A year later the Ariens came back. His son was mowing and hit a rock. From that point on it vibrated badly when the BBC was disengaged, but weirdly not while it was engaged. The vibrations had caused some of the shroud bolts to back out and the dipstick to come loose, leaking oil all over the deck. I got it back and he purchased a very clean Cub Cadet push mower with a Honda engine.

web.jpg

I got the Ariens back together, but since the BBC was tweaked I have yet to resell it. That said, it functions excellent in every other aspect, so I've been using it as my workhorse mower. This year it needed more paint work, but since the paint is easy to come by, touching up wasn't too difficult.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Among small engine mechanics and mower enthusiasts (yes, that's a thing), Tecumseh vertical shaft Flathead engines are pretty unloved. They have a nasty habit of developing rod knocks, eventually leading to blown connecting rods. Their carburetors can also be very finicky. That being said, when they are in proper working order, they're great. This particular one burns no oil, runs excellent, and starts first pull every single time.

Here we have a small MTD Yard Machines that was literally saved from the junkyard. I picked it up for $220 at a junkyard. A bit steep for a small push mower, but I had run dry on mowers to fix and this one was complete so I went for it.

web.jpg

web.jpg

The carburetor was full of water and very corroded. Didn't even bother with it, just chucked it. I have probably 15 spare Tecumseh carburetors assemblies, so I slapped one on, changed the oil and Zone Control cable, cleaned up the deck, and its almost like new!

web.jpg

web.jpg

This Ariens 911052 was purchased for $50. It ran but took forever to start, and its cables were all messed up and hodgepodged together. This engine is a Tecumseh Vector Flathead engine. what's interesting about these engines, besides the cool name, is the single piece, extruded aluminum carburetor. The float and bowl are a one piece plastic assembly as well. Very annoying to work on, but eventually it was running well. Paint was in better shape than the other Ariens but it got touched up too. It also got a good drive engagement cable from a parts Ariens and a brand new Zone Control cable. On some models these cables are North of $40! Luckily this one was only $17. It cleaned up very well.

IMG_0651_zps70f4b026.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

On this model the discharge chite/plug was held on with plastic wing nuts instead of regular nuts. This brilliant idea was carried over to the other Ariens, as it no longer requires tools to change out accessories. This was tough to see go as I didn't have the other Ariens back at the time and I really liked the caster wheels. Still, it fetched $250 so you know...

Which makes me realize mine is due for an oil change and a blade adjustment. It actually kinda looks like the first green craftsman on the first page! I'm hoping it doesn't rod knock on me, as it's been a pretty good mower....

Like I said, seeing this kinda makes me want a another used mower to play with.....

Looks good though!

This is an awesome thread and hobby! I genuinely want to get an old scrappy lawnmower and try and fix'r up now. I have zero experience working on small engines or even carbed engines.. okay just a tiny bit with carbs but basically none. The one carbed engine I fiddled around with was a '96 Yamaha Jog scooter(2 stroke).

When I was a kid I had a few old mowers. Back where I used to live people would just put them out to the curb for trash pickup (doesn't work like that where I live no so between that and the scrappers its harder to get them). Anyway, I knew very little about small engines back them, but I remember fondly a old Rally high wheel push mower that I would use to mow lawns in the neighborhood. Fast frward to a few years ago, and we needed a mower at the new house. I didn't feel like paying an $300+ for a decent one, so I went on Craigslist, found a Brute in nice shape that needed an engine, got a mower with a good engine, and built it. I enjoyed it so much I started doing more and reselling them. Turns out you can make pretty decent side cash, especially when you make them look really nice and can charge a bit more.

Of course, now my garage is pretty full of the buggers, and I went from having the Brute two eight or so mowers I don't want to part with! :lol:

Its a far cry from my basic Rally mower though. My collection today includes a 80's 2-cycle Lawn Boy, a late 70's Simplicity, an 80's Toro with the much sought after 2-cycle Suzuki engine, another Toro with a very rare Briggs and Stratton 2-cycle engine (of which I have 2), an older Craftsman, the Brute, a 90's Poulan Pro, the Wheel Grand Prix, a Honda HRB215, and the Ariens pulling everyday duty.

The older ones are quite rare, while the newer ones I like for various reason.  I want to find an even older lawn mower eventually, and there's a few engines (older and newer) that I'd like to have. Is it lawn mower overload? Well maybe, but they take up way less space than cars do!

Which makes me realize mine is due for an oil change and a blade adjustment. It actually kinda looks like the first green craftsman on the first page! I'm hoping it doesn't rod knock on me, as it's been a pretty good mower....

Like I said, seeing this kinda makes me want a another used mower to play with.....

Looks good though!

Don't forget the air filter and spark plug! Also clean the deck regularly. I find the Briggs engines can take more abuse and still run. I think, as with any engine, but especially with Tecumsehs, its just a matter of making sure the oil is changed regularly and is at the proper level.

When I was a kid I had a few old mowers. Back where I used to live people would just put them out to the curb for trash pickup (doesn't work like that where I live no so between that and the scrappers its harder to get them). Anyway, I knew very little about small engines back them, but I remember fondly a old Rally high wheel push mower that I would use to mow lawns in the neighborhood. Fast frward to a few years ago, and we needed a mower at the new house. I didn't feel like paying an $300+ for a decent one, so I went on Craigslist, found a Brute in nice shape that needed an engine, got a mower with a good engine, and built it. I enjoyed it so much I started doing more and reselling them. Turns out you can make pretty decent side cash, especially when you make them look really nice and can charge a bit more.

Of course, now my garage is pretty full of the buggers, and I went from having the Brute two eight or so mowers I don't want to part with! :lol:

Its a far cry from my basic Rally mower though. My collection today includes a 80's 2-cycle Lawn Boy, a late 70's Simplicity, an 80's Toro with the much sought after 2-cycle Suzuki engine, another Toro with a very rare Briggs and Stratton 2-cycle engine (of which I have 2), an older Craftsman, the Brute, a 90's Poulan Pro, the Wheel Grand Prix, a Honda HRB215, and the Ariens pulling everyday duty.

The older ones are quite rare, while the newer ones I like for various reason.  I want to find an even older lawn mower eventually, and there's a few engines (older and newer) that I'd like to have. Is it lawn mower overload? Well maybe, but they take up way less space than cars do!

A lot of ppl go onto Craigslist to find a brute in nice shape that needs something.

Speaking of which, I acquired not one, but two identical mowers to my own Brute. These couldn't have been more than a couple years old at the time, but both, owned by the same guy, were thoroughly trashed.

The first one had a sheered flywheel key, bad gas, gummed up carburetor, and the blade had been mangled. Apparently he was trying to mow rocks.

IMG_9545.jpg

But it went back together well, touched up the deck (black is the best color, so easy to retouch), and I bought new hub caps for the front wheels.

IMG_0497_zps9ee0a8ef.jpg

IMG_0504_zps061964cf.jpg

IMG_0498_zps6f953dc2.jpg

IMG_0495_zpsea7c07b8.jpg

The second Brute had all the problems the first one had, but took things a step further with the impact not only sheering the flywheel key, but cracking the flywheel as well. Luckily, I had a spare as those things are pretty expensive new. This mower also partially dismantled, and then left outside with the dipstick off and the crankcase exposed to the elements. Despite it all, somehow the engine was undamaged. Both front wheels had seized up too and took some time to free up. It also had two cracked rear wheels (a problem with that style wheel) and missing front hub caps. In the end it I got Briggs to replaced them with a redesigned, much beefier set (which went on my machine), and some new hubcaps. Despite the mess I started with it came back together to look and function like a new machine.

IMG_9490.jpg

Sold it to a guy who I see once in a while. Last I checked it was still performing well.

IMG_0621_zps9a989cdd.jpg

IMG_0623_zps2433ae96.jpg

IMG_0625_zps718c850e.jpg

IMG_0626_zps8e43a3e2.jpg