Item: Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4

• 9 months later...

Got a detailing and car wash this morning...got my headlights buffed out and they look like new..they were very cloudy/discolored before. Odometer rolled over to 137k yesterday.

Still cleans up pretty well..though the bumper plastic has sun fade and the chrome 'Jeep' hood badge has lost it's shine.

gallery_500_427_115201.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

• 3 months later...

Had my first breakdown and tow in over 2 years today. Got to the office, was driving through the underground parking lot when I hear this awful noise under the hood..it's continuous, and varies w/ rpm. I slowly drive out of the garage and park on the street---no way a roll back hauler would be able to get in the underground parking garage.

Had it hauled 20 miles to my shop, find out it's the water pump..need a new pump, thermostat and a few hoses. Oh well, life w/ an old car is always fraught w/ trouble. Glad I've got AAA.

AAA ios great...and a water pump is cheaper than a 450 a month payment on a new one...

Although the new GC is one of the few SUV's I'd consider...Fantastic car!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Replaced the battery back in January. Last week, had trouble starting it, the battery kept going flat even after charging. Turned out it was the starter...replaced it Saturday,drove it to work today (drove the DTS all last week).

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the windshield today. A truck kicked up a rock on the 202 Monday morning that cracked it in the top center, crack spread across. New glass is slightly different w/ a mesh-look decal area above the rear-view mirror that the 3 previous ones didn't have IIRC...acts as a sun shade for the top center, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

More electrical maladies...had a hard time starting this week (battery is only 2 months old), took it in yesterday...battery terminals/cable was leaking, replaced it, starts fine now. Also the A/C mysteriously starting blowing only out of the defroster vents, some tube was melted...now works fine.

Strange with the battery. Any particular brand or oddity?

Such oddities were always my excuse for not owning something like my '95 Fleetwood, even if it never did do a damn thing wrong, suspension and A/C aside (though I swear I almost fixed the A/C myself the last go around myself.

Jeeps are cool, and this generation '99-04 still seemed higher quality than the following generic Tupperware iteration. My parents neighbors had a decently troubled '99 Limited that had to be towed from the garage a couple of times with age, but they still traded & bought another fully loaded (and gorgeous) new '04 Limited with the H.O. 4.7L they still have to today and it never seems to age visually.

Edited by caddycruiser

The battery has been fine, replaced it January (18-20 months is the normal lifespan here), but at the beginning of March, it was hard to start, turns out it was the starter...replaced that, then last week it was hard to start again, barely was able to start it and get home one day...it was the terminals and cables leading to the terminals that were leaking voltage and draining the battery..just old, I guess.

All in all, it's been a good vehicle...bought it new in August 2000. Had a few major issues (the notorious seat track failure, complete cooling system failure after 1 years in AZ). A/C is still original, but not as cold as when new. Had a few nagging issues w/ transfer case leaks and sensors failing, but other than routine maintenance, it's still going strong w/ 143k...looks great when clean from 20 feet away (lots of stone chips and scratches up close), but rides smoothly with only one noticable squeak from the rear hatch. I need to replace the speakers and the driver's side inside door panel (arm rest is cracked), maybe the headlight switch (lights come on by themselves at odd times if I leave it in the automatic position).

• 9 months later...

Getting close to 150k miles (should be there by next weekend). Been having some old-car gremlins lately...the door locks and power windows work intermittently. The air bag light comes on then goes off after 30 sec or so randomly.

Getting close to 150k miles (should be there by next weekend). Been having some old-car gremlins lately...the door locks and power windows work intermittently. The air bag light comes on then goes off after 30 sec or so randomly.

It is just flaky from the driver side controls? Basically, if you sit in the front passenger seat and operate the window and locks, do they operate reliably?

It could just be the driver door switch panel going bad. $45 for a reman on Ebay.

It is just flaky from the driver side controls? Basically, if you sit in the front passenger seat and operate the window and locks, do they operate reliably?

It could just be the driver door switch panel going bad. $45 for a reman on Ebay.

I think that is what it is... the door lock button on the driver side controls seems to work intermittently as does the power window switches there...but I have tested from the back seat and passenger seat and they work..

• 4 months later...

152k miles now...the power window/mirror/door locks issue turned out to be a frayed wire in the wire that goes from the body into the door, common problem according to people on the Jeep forums. Fixed that, oil change, filters, tranny fluid. Running great, A/C is still pretty cold. Probably will need a set of brakes, shocks,and tires later this year. Racking up the miles more slowly in '14 as I've been driving the DTS a lot lately.

Ought to be good for another 100 thou since its not in the process of becoming an Ohio rust bucket.

Ya, one advantage of the CO & AZ dry climates...still no squeaks and rattles, it's held up pretty well for almost 14 years of primary use...

When clean it still looks pretty good.. driveway pic w/ the DTS on a rare (for here) heavy rain day a while back..

jeepdrivewayrain-vi.jpg

What kind of trees? They are heavy with fruit it looks like.

When clean it still looks pretty good.. driveway pic w/ the DTS on a rare (for here) heavy rain day a while back..

Grapefruit...I have orange trees in the back, palm trees front and back. My whole neighborhood used to be an orange grove.

Grapefruit...I have orange trees in the back, palm trees front and back. My whole neighborhood used to be an orange grove.

Awesome, talk about keeping a high level of Vitamin C around to keep the colds away! :P

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...

Replaced the CHMSL bulb today...original lasted 15 years and 156k miles. Drivers door switches for Windows/mirrors/locks failed again. Going to do a bunch of maintenance for the new year soon---tires, shocks, brakes....still running.

• 6 months later...

Today was the day for car drama.  I got about a mile from home in the Jeep when the temp gauge maxed out and steam started boiling out from under the hood and out the dash vents.   Limped back home and found the radiator hose had popped off.  Waited until 7 when my local repair shop opened, they came out, reattached the hose and added water and drove it to the shop..got off cheap, new radiator and thermostat.    Meanwhile I drove to work in the DTS, in which the A/C is now blowing warm air...fun, fun...at least the windows go down in it and it was only 108 today.

• 1 month later...

Very cool, way to go, keep it up and like my 94 GMC SLE Suburban you will have 300K before you know it. :D

Well, it took around 9 years to get to 100k and another 6 to get to 160k, I don't think I'll keep it long enough to get to 300k... :)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/10/2016 at 5:16 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Still going...odo hit 166k this morning.  Went to the carwash, got the deluxe wash and vacuumed the interior...still going...

Wish i could drive as few miles as you...I have had the Jetta for a year and a half or so, and I am at 45,000 miles. 

That is awesome, I was averaging 30-40K a year for 4 years straight on my Escalade, then got a job in the city and the company paid me to use mass transit. I have put only 15K miles on it in the last 4 years. Parked in my garage so safe, dry and clean, taking it on a 5 day road trip starting tomorrow. Love the Escalade for long distance road trips. Going from Seattle to LA and Back.

22 minutes ago, dfelt said:

That is awesome, I was averaging 30-40K a year for 4 years straight on my Escalade, then got a job in the city and the company paid me to use mass transit. I have put only 15K miles on it in the last 4 years. Parked in my garage so safe, dry and clean, taking it on a 5 day road trip starting tomorrow. Love the Escalade for long distance road trips. Going from Seattle to LA and Back.

Enjoy your trip!

In my driving around Phoenix and Scottsdale I've put around 6k a year on the Jeep the last two years at my current gig, my least driving in a long time.  I either take my sister's car or rent for out of town trips.     Not sure if I'll try and keep it going or get something new when I move.  Very soon though.