I'm SO Effing Pumped!

NOS2006

My schedule for the rest of the week is as follows:

Tuesday - Work from 5-9:30 with my best friend and favorite boss.

Wednesday - Co-op job interview at Continental Teves, Inc. (my top choice for a co-op position!) for Kettering University. Then work from 5-9:30, again with my favorite boss.

Thursday - Test in Psychology. Last day of school before Spring Break. Work from 2:30-6.

Friday - Start tearing down engine to put in camshaft, valve springs/retainers, pushrods, ceramic-coated headers/y-pipe, 180* performance thermostat, spark plugs, and spark plug wires, along with a full computer tune (though that means I'll be without my PCM for 5 days lol).

Saturday - Continue working on engine and paint intake manifold, valve covers, and maybe throttle body too. It should be on its way to being put back together and maybe (most likely) be all the way finished by Saturday night (it's supposedly a 13 hr project for first-timers and I've done this stuff a few times on various engines in auto class). We'll have about 6 hours to work on it Friday and 12 on Saturday.

Sunday - Easter. Should be a good day, though we don't have any plans that I know of. If not, I'll probably end up painting my brake calipers.

Monday through Saturday of next week - I'll be done with the engine work and most likely sealing my taillights, turnsignals, and foglamps (they all let moisture in somehow, so I'm going to put sealant around their edges). I might pick up and install brighter LEDs for the halos in my headlights. I also might modify my turn signals and paint the inside of them. Sometime during this period of time I should be able to get my 3.73 rear-end gears and Zexel-Torsen limited slip differential installed along with my shift kit; the guy who's supposed to do it keeps delaying for personal reasons (his wife was in the hospital and now his wife's grandmother passed away). Also during this timeframe I should be able to install my new 32mm frontsway bar/bushings (part used on Camaro SS cars) to replace my cracked stock 30mm swaybar, which is heavier and less nimble.

In short, the next week is going to be amazing for me, but for much different reasons than others my age who plan to go on vacation down south to get drunk and have crazy sex with multiple partners. I'm having good, "clean" fun. :)

niiice... judging from your excitement i woul imagine your gunna have fun with this... what kind of car you working on?

1998 Camaro 3.8L

Oh, and it's black. The foglights are clear (chrome, actually), but I'm painting part of that chrome black. She has a billet grille already and black "halo" headlights. To match everything, I'm painting the engine black/silver and the brake calipers silver/metallic blue (an accent color that will match the color of my interior LEDs, which I will one day change to all white and blue).

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by NOS2006

Good luck at Continental Teves, I interviewed there and it seems like a cool place to work.

Thanks. Have you had mechanics experience working on cars? I told them I've done this stuff and they were wide-eyed and all about finding out how much I can do on the car.

I hit it off pretty well with Umicore, too, talking to them, but haven't received a call... (it's been two weeks I think.. maybe three?)

Can you not yet get a Co-Op with GM? At U of I (where I'm most likely going) you can get a Co-Op basically anywhere after your freshman year, so I'm going for one at GM (so maybe I can visit you, lol).

I think you should save your money and go for an LS1 Camaro, but that's just me. You'll certainly have one of the fastest V6 Camaros out there with all your mods however.

I need to get a job and mod my GTO, but I don't think my dad would let me do much. Maybe exhaust and CAI and some other bolt-ons.

I've done a decent amount of work on cars, nothing extensive but hopefully a project will be coming soon. I don’t know what kind of position Continental is hiring for, but unfortunately a lot of places don’t need hands-on work because they have mechanics and technicians that do that kind of work. You are there for an engineering experience.

Currently, Umicore is only hiring A Section students, but you never know if someone decides not to come back.

Meh, definitely not one of the fastest ones out there, but one of the fastest ones in my area. Lots of V6ers are going to turbos and head swaps now, but I'll be doing a hell of a lot better than the typical buyers (and older Mustang GTs lol). Oh, and I'm almost ready to start saving for my 5th Gen, so I'm not worried about a $h!ty LS1. (lol I just called the LS1 $h!ty. I'm a joke.)

I wanted to do GM but they said you'd have to wait literally a month or two before being selected and, out of hundreds of students that apply, only 20 get the job.

Schuby, Continental said they were looking for people with lots of hands-on experience. The first year (or just term?) the students take particular systems (ABS, Traction control, suspension components, etc.) out of the car and re-test the car (a camoflauged one at that) with CT's new technology. They said that already knowing how to take stuff off the car and re-install it is a big plus because they won't have to teach you and you'll be able to move into the position much quicker and easier.

Edited by NOS2006

Can you not yet get a Co-Op with GM?

You can get a Co-Op wherever you want. With GM, I dont know about there actual hiring, but with Co-Op's its done by a third party, you have to go through a couple interviews, and they have high standards reguarding grades and activities. If they decided they like you, you are entered into a pool with everyone else they liked and you may be offered a position (not necessarily where you live)

You can get a Co-Op wherever you want.  With GM, I dont know about there actual hiring, but with Co-Op's its done by a third party, you have to go through a couple interviews, and they have high standards reguarding grades and activities.  If they decided they like you, you are entered into a pool with everyone else they liked and you may be offered a position (not necessarily where you live)

Yes, and there's two fields: the area where you're actually at a shop and another where you're more in a design area. And they can't REALLY guarantee you the one you're looking for. Jump in with both feet and hope the water's warm, I guess.

Guest YellowJacket894

1998 Camaro 3.8L

Oh, and it's black. The foglights are clear (chrome, actually), but I'm painting part of that chrome black. She has a billet grille already and black "halo" headlights. To match everything, I'm painting the engine black/silver and the brake calipers silver/metallic blue (an accent color that will match the color of my interior LEDs, which I will one day change to all white and blue).

Posted ImagePosted Image

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn. I really have to find a car instead of pushing around my dad's old Dakota. :nono:

Oh, and nice Camaro. :thumbsup:

Schuby, Continental said they were looking for people with lots of hands-on experience. The first year (or just term?) the students take particular systems (ABS, Traction control, suspension components, etc.) out of the car and re-test the car (a camoflauged one at that) with CT's new technology. They said that already knowing how to take stuff off the car and re-install it is a big plus because they won't have to teach you and you'll be able to move into the position much quicker and easier.

That sounds cool, but like i said sometimes what they say, isn't exactly what you are going to be doing. They usually generalize alot. Also, from talking to other people that have had similar job discriptions, they said it is alot of collecting data and observations with some mechanical work. I dont really know if they would trust some of their systems that cost millions with a first term co-op.

Yeah, I don't know, but it's what the Manager/Engineer (who I'm interviewing with on Wednesday) had told me at the job fair. Meh, either way I hope to get it. :)

Well, I hope you get it too! There's nothing like going to a job everyday that you love to do! I'm just saying dont get your hopes up, your going to be at an engineering school, not one for mechanics. There's a reason why they have mechanics and technicians.

Edited by schuby87