Obscure Muscle Car Parking Lot – The 1973 Chevy Chevelle SS Wagon

BigPontiac

We had a 73 Malibu when I was growing up. Boy did that car rust under the doors. It ran pretty good and had a Posi. I drove it to School when I got my license later.

My buddy had a laguna SS that he pro streeted. It really turned out very nice. He sold it once he got his Henry J pro steet done. Just don't see many Lagunas anymore.

I am fear many of these cars will be in short supply as many pretty much already are. They just did not hold up and too few people really cared for them as time moved on. With little to no parts restoring one is difficult and not a wise investment. I see more Elcomino's from this 1970's era than any other of the models as they are the ones worth the cost to restore.

As time moves on many of the cars we had back then will be lost as with the many plastics and the high cost to restore few people will save them. We can only hope for some lost ones in storage in good shape to pop up once in a while.

Even NOS parts are difficult anymore. In many cases older cars with more metal trim etc are easier to restore as you can refinish many of the parts.

I just saw a Vega Kamback the other day. An old man had it and it was in like new condition. I had to have been low miles as it was unrestord and even clean even on the underside.

I have to dispute a point or two with you, Hyper.

These cars did hold up over time (after all, I have three in the barn right now). Locally, a well-preserved Cutlass, or Lemans, or Regal show up on CL fairly often. Even more common are the Chevelles and Monte Carlo of the era. Yes, rust and simple disregard claimed the majority of these cars for several decades, but they are far from disappearing.

Also, on the parts front, aftermarket companies are finally realizing that there is an untapped market in parts for the collonnade cars. NOS stuff has been fairly easy for me to find as well for both the wagon and the Camino.

There is an early Laguna coupe on CL right now (minus drivetrain) with a really decent body and a low price that I find tempting. Other examples are all around and car guys are more accepting of these cars as time goes by. Consequently, values have begun to rise.

Now is the time to find a collonnade car before they cost too much.

I have to dispute a point or two with you, Hyper.

These cars did hold up over time (after all, I have three in the barn right now). Locally, a well-preserved Cutlass, or Lemans, or Regal show up on CL fairly often. Even more common are the Chevelles and Monte Carlo of the era. Yes, rust and simple disregard claimed the majority of these cars for several decades, but they are far from disappearing.

Also, on the parts front, aftermarket companies are finally realizing that there is an untapped market in parts for the collonnade cars. NOS stuff has been fairly easy for me to find as well for both the wagon and the Camino.

There is an early Laguna coupe on CL right now (minus drivetrain) with a really decent body and a low price that I find tempting. Other examples are all around and car guys are more accepting of these cars as time goes by. Consequently, values have begun to rise.

Now is the time to find a collonnade car before they cost too much.

Find parts and trim parts for them.....

These cars here rusted out pretty bad but they all did back then. Missing floors, bottom of doors, sagging doors and the like were common. They would run forever but they bodies and trim on the interior went to hell and the interior parts are hard to find today.

We worked on a Grand Am a while go and it was pretty solid but the parts we needed to make the car like new would have cost more than the car was worth.

I remember back in the 80's working on these cars then and getting into GP's and Montes with the floor missing under the drivers feet. I used to joke to my co worker that it was Fred Flintstones car.

Every car parents had from 73-77 were crap for the most part Ford and Chryslers were even worse.

I just took my neighbors 1981 Camaro our for a spin the other day. He is no longer able to drive and wanted me to give a run. It is a regular Camaro with a V8 and factory 4 speed with only 14,000 miles. I marveled at how like new it was and then marveled at how bad the interiors were even in like new condition compared to todays cars.

Sorry I liked many of the cars from that era like the F bodies and Can Am but I would be hard pressed to try to restore one.

I wish I had a dollar for every Cutlass with a bumper that was falling off the rear.

The problem in hindsight here is these cars did not resonate well vs. the '68-72s, and collectibility and values have trailed FAR behind ever since they hit the used markets. It's great to know they have a following and some are working to preserve them, but they'll never match the following of the earlier A-Bodies. To some, that's fine and even preferable.

Personally, I never cared for the styling of these whatsoever. I could own a '68-72, but even the stylist best of these (Grand Am IMO) I wouldn't want.

The problem in hindsight here is these cars did not resonate well vs. the '68-72s, and collectibility and values have trailed FAR behind ever since they hit the used markets. It's great to know they have a following and some are working to preserve them, but they'll never match the following of the earlier A-Bodies. To some, that's fine and even preferable.

Personally, I never cared for the styling of these whatsoever. I could own a '68-72, but even the stylist best of these (Grand Am IMO) I wouldn't want.

Your assessment is right on the money. The 68-72 cars are perfection in my mind - and the collonnades were something a bit less. But, they are affordable and can be built to be just as potent and clean. Same goes for the later downsized versions. For my part, I'm glad that my collonnades are appreciating in value - I really hadn't expected that. And they've grown on me over the years.

The 68-72 cars will always be my favorites, but the collonnades stop better, handle better, and are more comfortable - so I'm happy to be preserving a couple of them.

Of the '73-77 A-body generation, there are a few I really like...like the '73 Chevelle SS, '73-75 Laguna, '73 Buick GS, '73 Grand Am, '77 Can Am, '76-77 Cutlass Supreme and Cutlass S. Too many of them had the styling ruined by the weak 2 headlight setup and the big bumpers, IMO. The '73 Buick one of the nicest profiles, IMO.

IMO, the '73 Chevelle and Monte Carlo had the most intrusive looking front bumpers out of all the A-bodies introduced that year. Olds and Pontiac used thin blade-like bumpers (LeMans used a park bench, but it was tapered to look less severe), and Buick's, while big, was tapered to look less like a battering ram than the Chevelle's. That said... I still like the '73 Chevelle, especially with bumper guards to lessen the "impact" of that park bench out front.

Edited by ocnblu

• 1 month later...

And here we are different...I would take a 69 GTO over any car built int he 1950's by Pontiac.

Of the '73-77 A-body generation, there are a few I really like...like the '73 Chevelle SS, '73-75 Laguna, '73 Buick GS, '73 Grand Am, '77 Can Am, '76-77 Cutlass Supreme and Cutlass S. Too many of them had the styling ruined by the weak 2 headlight setup and the big bumpers, IMO. The '73 Buick one of the nicest profiles, IMO.

I almost bought a Languna S 3 when I bought my 57 Chevy...but that was back in the early 1980's.

And agree with the 73 Buick profile comment.

OK I've been biting my tongue on this one waiting for a job with a n income for toys but...

I've run into what looks to be a very nice street condition 73 Chevelle SS and its my FAV color so close to Marina Blue like the Imp. I haven't stopped to talk for fear of a future deal. I sure hope that the economy perks up and I mean SOOOOOOOON!

And here we are different...I would take a 69 GTO over any car built int he 1950's by Pontiac.

Clarification: I was saying I could take a '68-72 A-Body, but I would not buy a '73-77 version. I like the 1st gen GA and the '77 Can Am, but I'm still not buying one. I've actively pursued a few really nice '68-72 generation a few times (Pontiacs), tho sadly it never came to pass.

But in your comparison, I would take a '57 Super Chief Catalina over any GTO (value aside).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Minor quibble with the article--first Chevy SS model was in '61, not '62.

I recently found out that it was possible to get the SS equipment on a 4-door Impala in '61; always thought it was restricted to the 2-door hardtop & convertible. But looky here:

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/chevy/61ss/61ss.html

Sweet link, if I ever knew, I forgot that any Impala could be ordered with Super Sport package. I've never seen a '61 SS sedan... or wagon.

Has anyone else? This has me very curious... I see the link has to be internal sales literature, for salesmen. Is it possible that a last-minute decision was made to restrict SS to coupe and convertible? Or were there really some sedans and wagons built?

Edited by ocnblu

IIRC, one of the magazines a few years ago (I think it was a Hemmings magazine) had a photo spread on a '61 Impala SS 4dr ht w/ a 409 and 4spd. I don't recall if it had the SS badging, though. Who knows exactly what was built 50 years ago..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Yeah, a 4-door (or wagon!) 1961 Impala SS was a new one on me, too...the 2-door and convertible models are proverbial hen's teeth--I've only seen one '61 SS that I can remember and it was a "bubble top".

On edit: here is a supposed 1961 Impala 2-door sedan with the SS package:

http://www.newstalgiamotors.com/cars/1961ImpalaSedan.aspx

As a side note, we used to have a '61 Chevy Parkwood wagon in this same color (fawn beige).

Edited by NeonLX

In '61, the first year for the SS package, it was only an appearance option; no power train was specified.

Beginning in '62, the SS started to include Hi-Po engine options, and one can see sedans or wagons not generally fitting that 'mold' of performance car, or as least not nearly as much as a coupe or convertible.

• 2 weeks later...

There was no other SS wagon than the 1973 Chevelle. The Laguna was the top Chevelle trim level for '73, in sedan, wagon, coupe. But the SS package was only on the chrome bumpered Malibu coupe and wagon. Plus El Camino.

For 1974, the Malibu Classic took the place of the Laguna as 'top of line' and the SS package was only on the El Camino, from then on. No Laguna or SS wagons for 1974. The 74-76 Laguna S-3 was a sporty coupe, taking the SS's place, though not marketed as a 'muscle car'.

The only GM colonnade era 'sport package' that survived to 1977, and sold OK, was the Olds 442.

Edited by Chicagoland

Saw a worn out Maxx tonight...no hubcaps, missing front bumper, denty front fender and doors..

That's sad...though our '07 Maxx is starting to look kinda rough too. Finally replaced the factory rubber at 76,000 miles. The car still rides nice and has lots of oomph.

Can Am was only a one or two year model.

One year, 1977..very low volume (less than 1400 built), basically production ended when the rear spoiler molding tool broke is what I've read. Olds was the only brand that kept it's muscle trim (442) from '73-77. Chevy dropped the SS after a year or so, Pontiac had the GTO one year, Buick had the GS one or two years..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Can Am was only a one or two year model.

One year, 1977..very low volume (less than 1400 built), basically production ended when the rear spoiler molding tool broke is what I've read. Olds was the only brand that kept it's muscle trim (442) from '73-77. Chevy dropped the SS after a year or so, Pontiac had the GTO one year, Buick had the GS one or two years..

Except for El Camino, which retained an SS option (or two) right up until the end of production in 1987.

Olds was the only brand that kept it's muscle trim (442) from '73-77. Chevy dropped the SS after a year or so, Pontiac had the GTO one year, Buick had the GS one or two years.

Correct, but only if concentrating on using the nameplate as a qualifier.

Pontiac also had the Grand Am ('73-75), and the LeMans GT ('73-75, 76-77), both variably available with 400 manuals or 455s. Chevy also had the Laguna S-3, 454 CI in '75, and 400 CI in '76.

Olds certainly was not alone.

1975:

LEGT%2075%202.jpg

Edited by balthazar

Olds was the only brand that kept it's muscle trim (442) from '73-77. Chevy dropped the SS after a year or so, Pontiac had the GTO one year, Buick had the GS one or two years.

Correct, but only if concentrating on using the nameplate as a qualifier.

Pontiac also had the Grand Am ('73-75), and the LeMans GT ('73-75, 76-77), both variably available with 400 manuals or 455s. Chevy also had the Laguna S-3, 454 CI in '75, and 400 CI in '76.

Olds certainly was not alone.

Yes, there were those..I was thinking in terms of consistent use of the traditional designations--SS,GTO,442,GS. Interesting about that Le Mans GT..don't think I've ever seen one, barely heard of them.

About Can Ams, there is a rumor that they were cut to sell more Grand Prixs, since they used the same dashboards. Sale managers wanted to push as many GP's as possible.

Regarding Buick Century GS, the package was available 1973-75, but the Stage 1 455 motor was only in 1973-74.

Edited by Chicagoland
  • Agree 1