BigPontiac

Obscure Muscle Car Parking Lot – The 1973 Chevy Chevelle SS Wagon

IIRC, one of the magazines a few years ago (I think it was a Hemmings magazine) had a photo spread on a '61 Impala SS 4dr ht w/ a 409 and 4spd. I don't recall if it had the SS badging, though. Who knows exactly what was built 50 years ago..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Yeah, a 4-door (or wagon!) 1961 Impala SS was a new one on me, too...the 2-door and convertible models are proverbial hen's teeth--I've only seen one '61 SS that I can remember and it was a "bubble top".

On edit: here is a supposed 1961 Impala 2-door sedan with the SS package:

http://www.newstalgiamotors.com/cars/1961ImpalaSedan.aspx

As a side note, we used to have a '61 Chevy Parkwood wagon in this same color (fawn beige).

Edited by NeonLX

In '61, the first year for the SS package, it was only an appearance option; no power train was specified.

Beginning in '62, the SS started to include Hi-Po engine options, and one can see sedans or wagons not generally fitting that 'mold' of performance car, or as least not nearly as much as a coupe or convertible.

There was no other SS wagon than the 1973 Chevelle. The Laguna was the top Chevelle trim level for '73, in sedan, wagon, coupe. But the SS package was only on the chrome bumpered Malibu coupe and wagon. Plus El Camino.

For 1974, the Malibu Classic took the place of the Laguna as 'top of line' and the SS package was only on the El Camino, from then on. No Laguna or SS wagons for 1974. The 74-76 Laguna S-3 was a sporty coupe, taking the SS's place, though not marketed as a 'muscle car'.

The only GM colonnade era 'sport package' that survived to 1977, and sold OK, was the Olds 442.

Edited by Chicagoland

Saw a worn out Maxx tonight...no hubcaps, missing front bumper, denty front fender and doors..

That's sad...though our '07 Maxx is starting to look kinda rough too. Finally replaced the factory rubber at 76,000 miles. The car still rides nice and has lots of oomph.

The only GM colonnade era 'sport package' that survived to 1977, and sold OK, was the Olds 442.

'77 Pontiac Can Am?

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Can Am was only a one or two year model.

One year, 1977..very low volume (less than 1400 built), basically production ended when the rear spoiler molding tool broke is what I've read. Olds was the only brand that kept it's muscle trim (442) from '73-77. Chevy dropped the SS after a year or so, Pontiac had the GTO one year, Buick had the GS one or two years..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Can Am was only a one or two year model.

One year, 1977..very low volume (less than 1400 built), basically production ended when the rear spoiler molding tool broke is what I've read. Olds was the only brand that kept it's muscle trim (442) from '73-77. Chevy dropped the SS after a year or so, Pontiac had the GTO one year, Buick had the GS one or two years..

Except for El Camino, which retained an SS option (or two) right up until the end of production in 1987.

Olds was the only brand that kept it's muscle trim (442) from '73-77. Chevy dropped the SS after a year or so, Pontiac had the GTO one year, Buick had the GS one or two years.

Correct, but only if concentrating on using the nameplate as a qualifier.

Pontiac also had the Grand Am ('73-75), and the LeMans GT ('73-75, 76-77), both variably available with 400 manuals or 455s. Chevy also had the Laguna S-3, 454 CI in '75, and 400 CI in '76.

Olds certainly was not alone.

1975:

LEGT%2075%202.jpg

Edited by balthazar

Olds was the only brand that kept it's muscle trim (442) from '73-77. Chevy dropped the SS after a year or so, Pontiac had the GTO one year, Buick had the GS one or two years.

Correct, but only if concentrating on using the nameplate as a qualifier.

Pontiac also had the Grand Am ('73-75), and the LeMans GT ('73-75, 76-77), both variably available with 400 manuals or 455s. Chevy also had the Laguna S-3, 454 CI in '75, and 400 CI in '76.

Olds certainly was not alone.

Yes, there were those..I was thinking in terms of consistent use of the traditional designations--SS,GTO,442,GS. Interesting about that Le Mans GT..don't think I've ever seen one, barely heard of them.

^ Looks like Pontiac used the 'GTO' decals and just snipped the 'O' off, eh?

Not sure it would possible to get any closer to The Great One.

That's what it looks like..that '75 is a sharp car.

About Can Ams, there is a rumor that they were cut to sell more Grand Prixs, since they used the same dashboards. Sale managers wanted to push as many GP's as possible.

Regarding Buick Century GS, the package was available 1973-75, but the Stage 1 455 motor was only in 1973-74.

Edited by Chicagoland
  • Upvote 1