SATURN AURA RADIATES STYLE, REFINEMENT

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is not symmetrical because the center stack is angled towards the driver.  Fly should be complaining... :P

Hey, look at the two cars I drive - I love driver-oriented stacks!

This is what irritates me...

Posted Image

The Camry's dash/center console is not properly aligned with respect to the vertical axis.

This is not a photographic trick either. Draw an imaginary line down the center of the radio head unit. Properly-designed, the line should cleave that center button above the ashtray door in half. It doesn't; it runs clean to the right of it. Its instantly clear from sitting inside of it, too. Plus, the whole interior looks like it was designed around a bench seat option. Regals had more integrated consoles and their Century cousins had benches.

The entire car from '02-06 was junk, so this doesn't make or break it, but its irritating as hell.

but there is just too much fake wood, and the integration of the radios/HVACs looks like a kid designed it, or someone really really cheap and stupid decided it should be that way. It looks retarded and unfinished, undeserving of the market this car is going for.

I agree.......

Old-school GM to me.....

The entire car from '02-06 was junk, so this doesn't make or break it, but its irritating as hell.

(about the '02 to '06 Camry)

I think that's kindof an ignorant statement to make.

:huh:

I understand you don't like the car......I wouldn't have bought one either.....

But please clarify exactly what about the car causes you to call it "junk?" The powertrain? The fit-and-finish? The reliability? The ride-and-handling? The quality of the interior materials? The interior roominess? The conservative exterior styling?

Fly....how EXACTLY is this car "junk?"

But please clarify exactly what about the car causes you to call it "junk?"  The powertrain?  The fit-and-finish?  The reliability?  The ride-and-handling?  The quality of the interior materials?  The interior roominess?  The conservative exterior styling?

Fly....how EXACTLY is this car "junk?"

Setting aside the basic fact that no car in today's market besides low-line Korean cars are actually 'junk,' I consider the '02 Camry to be junk in relation to other midsize entries as well as its predecessors and successor.

The powertrain I drove was lousy. Very wind-needy in terms of low-end torque and once you got into the powerband, nothing. The styling was plain awful; whereas the preceeding Camry had some class to it, the 2002 was built with this quasi-tall sedan thing in mind. It looks tippy and too narrow. Plus, it rode on the louisest stock tire/wheel combo this side of a Cutlass Ciera in both handling and looks. Very squeally and it did not give me the impression of stability most properly-designed midsize cars give. Not to mention, the exhaust system looked like it was about to drop when you looked at the car from behind.

Steering was overboosted almost to Buick levels with a general ride quality nearly as bad as one without a Gran Touring package. Oddly, the steering did not 'loosen' a la a Buick in low/no-speed parking situations. Stereo quality was also mediocre with tinny playback and poor reception from the embedded aerials on reasonably-powerful stations that normally receive great on most other cars I've driven.

I also found the seats to be uncomfortable, not aided by the tendency for Japanese belts to go S&M on you if you tap your brakes too hard.

There were alot of new and even older cars during that time - Stratus/Sebring, Regal, Grand Prix, Malibu, Taurus Mazda6, Altima, Maxima, Sonata, Optima, Passat, Galant, Accord - all of which were cheaper, funner, faster, or just all around better. The Camry offered nothing outstanding in the least, yet was still just as expensive as those that did. And to be completely honest, it boggled the mind how the Accord failed to outsell the Camry outside of 2002 until I realize why I came into posession of such a dull, mediocre car - Enterprise.

That's my take on it. I'm just glad to see the '07 has some of the Camry's old ingredients that the car is replaces lost touch with.

Hey, look at the two cars I drive - I love driver-oriented stacks!

This is what irritates me...

Posted Image

The Camry's dash/center console is not properly aligned with respect to the vertical axis.

This is not a photographic trick either. Draw an imaginary line down the center of the radio head unit. Properly-designed, the line should cleave that center button above the ashtray door in half. It doesn't; it runs clean to the right of it. Its instantly clear from sitting inside of it, too. Plus, the whole interior looks like it was designed around a bench seat option. Regals had more integrated consoles and their Century cousins had benches.

I hated that interior, and the way the Center stack and the console don't lineup. Looks stupid. Yet people boughtthose damn cars anyway.

I still can't get over the fact that the center stack/concole isn't symmetrical...it's irritating thehell outta me! >.<

Get over it...symmetry is overdone and too predictable..nothing wrong with asymmetry in a design. I'm bored with all the current designs that have everything left-right symmetrical...I miss the traditional BMW driver oriented designs, for example...

Get over it...symmetry is overdone and too predictable..nothing wrong with asymmetry in a design. I'm bored with all the current designs that have everything left-right symmetrical...I miss the traditional BMW driver oriented designs, for example...

:P Oh well, if i were to buy midzine I'd wait for the Sebring/Avenger or get an Altima

I believe it's the Camry they are referring to only. Like someone above said, who cares? The interior wasn't an exciting one, but it was pretty good for its time and had excellent quality.

The old SE with the metallic-silver/grey trim was much better.

As far as the old Camry....Fly's right that the console didn't line up perfectly with the center stack.

The key difference here is.....the console to dash FIT well and looked like it was designed to be that way......there was no apparent flimsiness in the design either. Everything was solidy mounted and attached (as opposed to say the G6 and Malibu consoles as they meet up with the center stack....they are very flimsy and look like they weren't designed to attach to the center stack.

For a worst-case scenario, take a look at the Trailblazer.....if you ever look at that SUV, the console doesn't EVEN begin to try to line up with the dash. It looks like two people designed the two different components and they NEVER talked to each other.

Edited by The O.C.

***Pics added at bottom***

SATURN AURA RADIATES STYLE, REFINEMENT

Dynamic new sedan features fuel-saving six-speed auto; hybrid model coming

NEW YORK – With the launch of the 2007 Sky this spring, Saturn kicks off its most extensive product revitalization to date. Next to market is the all-new 2007 Aura midsize sedan, unveiled today. Based on last year’s concept car of the same name, the Aura blends Saturn’s new European-influenced design and high levels of refinement with the brand’s customer-focused purchase and ownership experience.

The Aura’s driving character will match its refined design, with a host of technologically sophisticated powertrains and a premium sport-sedan setup. Uplevel models feature GM’s first application of a new six-speed automatic transmission mated with the 3.6L DOHC V-6, creating a powerful yet fuel-efficient package. Later in the 2007 model year, Saturn will offer the Aura Green Line, a 2.4L Ecotec-based hybrid that will use a powertrain system similar to the Vue Green Line. It marks the first application of a hybrid powertrain in a GM passenger car.

“The bold, sophisticated design of the Aura represents another step in Saturn’s revitalization,” said Jill Lajdziak, Saturn general manager. “This is a fun-to-drive sport sedan that will appeal both to current Saturn owners and to those who have never considered shopping at one of our retail stores.”

When it goes on sale late this summer, the Aura will be available in two trim levels: the entry XE model and uplevel XR. Each model is well-equipped, with premium features and interior materials among the best in its segment.

Bold new design

Based on the dramatic concept vehicle unveiled in 2005, the Aura sports sedan carries much of the concept’s bold design. Seen in other new Saturn models, such as the Sky roadster and Outlook crossover vehicle, these elements – including distinctive headlamps with jewel-like appearance and a chrome grille bar – establish a new design language for Saturn’s growing portfolio of vehicles.

“The design language of the Aura – and other new Saturn models – is technical and conveys a premium appearance,” said Clay Dean, GM design director for small and midsize cars. “From the detailed lighting elements to the edginess of the silhouette, the Aura demonstrates a revitalized emphasis on style and performance.”

Aura’s premium design cues include halogen headlamps covered in clear housings that wrap upward and around the corners of the vehicle. This expressive, jewel-like design feature shared among Saturn’s newest models adds a sense of motion to the vehicle, even when stationary. At the rear of the vehicle, LED tail lamps are employed to enhance Aura’s technical ethic while also providing an extra measure of safety. LED lamps illuminate more quickly than conventional incandescent bulbs, which can allow drivers behind the Aura to react sooner when they see the brake lamps.

Additional design details include a radio antenna integrated in the rear window, for a sleeker overall appearance, and a chrome appearance for the door handles on XR models. Standard 17-inch wheels and tires fill the wheel houses, enhancing the vehicle’s sporty, firmly planted stance. XR models come with 18-inch polished, 14-spoke cast aluminum wheels and performance tires.

Aura is available in nine exterior colors: Berry Red, Black Onyx, Bronzed Pewter, Cream White, Golden Cashmere, Midnight Blue, Ocean Mist, Silver Pearl and Techno Grey

Refined interior

A major focus of the Aura’s design is its refined interior, which sets a new standard for the Saturn brand. Premium materials with low-gloss appearance and tight tolerances throughout exhibit excellent fit and finish, while two-tone color combinations for the trim and upholstery exude contemporary style. The interior trim flows across the instrument panel and wraps around onto the door panels for a more integrated appearance. Select use of chrome trim also accents the interior.

The gauge cluster uses LED-lit analog instruments, with amber lighting and animation at startup. LEDs are also used for ambient light projected from the overhead lamp and door pocket lamps. Self-dimming theater lighting enhances the premium feel and provides added convenience at night.

Aura’s front reclining bucket seats are designed to provide firm support and comfort on long drives. Leather seating is available, including finely detailed embossed leather seat inserts with the XR’s optional Morocco Brown interior. Aura’s other interior features include:

• Automatic climate control

• Center console with dual-bin storage and automatic sliding tambour door covering front cupholders and storage area

• Driver information center

• Optional power-adjustable pedals

• Available eight-way power-adjustable driver seat

• Optional heated front seats, available in cloth or leather

• Universal home remote

• Power windows with driver express up and express down feature

• Steering wheel audio controls

• Four-panel sliding Panoramic roof

A diverse range of audio systems also is available, all from GM’s new family of premium radios that feature intuitive controls and flush mounting for enhanced refinement. A six-speaker radio system is standard and includes an auxiliary input jack for portable audio players. Saturn’s Advanced Audio System also is available. It includes an AM/FM/CD/MP3 radio with eight-speaker sound, a 240-watt amplifier and rear-seat audio controls with two wireless headphones. XM Satellite Radio is available on all models.

Refined performance

Saturn offers two powertrains at launch that provide the Aura’s power and performance for a refined on-road feel. Standard on XE models is the 3.5L V-6 with variable valve timing (VVT). This powerplant, mated with the 4T45-E, four-speed automatic, generates 224 horsepower (167 kw) and 220 lb.-ft. of torque (298 Nm ).*

The 4T45-E is a four-speed, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive transaxle with an electronically controlled torque converter clutch noted for its low noise, high durability and smooth shifting.

Uplevel XR models are equipped with the 3.6L DOHC V-6 with VVT, rated at 252 horsepower* (188 kw) and 251 lb.-ft. of torque (340 Nm).* This engine is mated with the all-new Hydra-Matic 6T70 six-speed automatic transmission, the first application of this important addition to the GM Powertrain portfolio. The transmission allows for strong performance combined with strong fuel efficiency.

In addition, the 6T70 – GM’s first application of a front-wheel drive six-speed automatic transmission – will provide the added benefit of Driver Shift Control (DSC), which enables the driver to manually shift through gears via steering wheel-positioned “paddles.”

The Aura is built on a stiff, robust chassis that serves as the foundation for a satisfying driving experience. The vehicle’s long wheelbase provides a smooth ride, while careful tuning of the suspension provides sharp and immediate response to driver input.

Safety features

The Saturn Aura is designed for strong safety performance in all measurements. A safety cage construction built into the body structure is complemented with reinforced rocker sections, as well as a reinforced front body hinge pillar and roof pillars that were designed to improve impact protection. A magnesium cross-car beam unites the lower sections of the A-pillars. It helps protect passengers in side-impact crashes and also serves as the foundation of the instrument panel. High-strength steel was used in strategic areas to augment overall structural integrity.

A comprehensive roster of standard features helps protect occupants before, during and after a crash. Aura’s standard safety features include:

Dual-stage frontal air bags with GM Passenger Sensing System: The system works with the front passenger seat and differentiates between adults – 5 th percentile females and larger – and small children or child seats to adjust air bag deployment, which can help reduce the risk of air bag-induced injuries.

Head curtain side-impact air bags: For the driver and front passenger, these air bags offer added protection for the head and thorax during side-impact crashes.

Front seat-mounted thorax protection air bags: These air bags add an additional margin of protection to front seat passengers, protecting the chest cavity of driver and/or passenger when deployed in a side-impact crash.

Front safety belt pretensioners: Deploying at the same time as the frontal air bags, they take up slack in the safety belt webbing to minimize occupant movement during a crash.

LATCH child safety seat anchors: Two lower anchors and a top tether anchor secure the child seat to the vehicle seat structure for proper installation of compatible child safety seats.

Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS: Large, 11.65-inch (296 mm) vented front and 10.63-inch (270 mm) rear rotors help provide smooth, quick and assured stopping capability. Four-channel ABS is standard on all models.

StabiliTrak electronic stability control system (Aura XR): Partnered with the ABS system, StabiliTrak provides more precise, controlled stops, as well as enhanced traction/yaw stability during emergency maneuvers.

Traction control (Aura XE): Wheel slip sensors convey signals to an electronic control module, which alters the torque output of the engine to find optimal traction in slippery conditions.

OnStar is standard on all models with a one-year Safe and Sound plan, featuring the Advanced Automatic Crash Notification system. This post-crash notification system makes crash data available to emergency services, potentially dispatching appropriate life-saving personnel and equipment to the crash scene faster. If the crash activates an air bag, the OnStar system automatically notifies an OnStar advisor, who immediately calls the vehicle and/or summons emergency help.

2007 SATURN AURA PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

*Pending SAE certification. A new voluntary power and torque certification procedure developed by the SAE Engine Test Code committee was approved March 31, 2005. This procedure (J2723) ensures fair, accurate ratings for horsepower and torque by allowing manufacturers to certify their engines through third-party witness testing. GM was the first auto manufacturer to begin using the procedure and expects to use it for all newly rated engines in the future.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

wow i love the front, the silver badge think with the saturn symbol, looks so nice, the interior is 2 thumbs up as well.....

I do absolutely LOVE the way the guages light up.

Welcome to LED gauges. I don't get it--they're not overly expensive--they should put them in Buick's too... even Pontiacs. They would have the ability to have some fun, get creative. Yes, I understand Buick is traditionally greenish-blue, and Pontiac is red, but again, have some fun with it. Give the gauges some life. I find Pontiac's and Buick's gauges, boring.

Welcome to LED gauges.  I don't get it--they're not overly expensive--they should put them in Buick's too... even Pontiacs.  They would have the ability to have some fun, get creative.  Yes, I understand Buick is traditionally greenish-blue, and Pontiac is red, but again, have some fun with it.  Give the gauges some life.  I find Pontiac's and Buick's gauges, boring.

Red lettering with blue needles for Pontiac. Some orange-yellowish trim would be good.

Green-blue lettering with yellow needles for Buick. Some bright-green trim as well.

Chevrolet could be a light blue with green needles and dark-blue trim.

Cadillac would be bright, royal blue lettering with white trim and red needles.

GMC would be darker green lettering, orange needles, lighter green trim.

Hummer would be yellowish lettering, blue needles, light-blue trim.

Red lettering with blue needles for Pontiac.  Some orange-yellowish trim would be good.

Green-blue lettering with yellow needles for Buick.  Some bright-green trim as well.

I wouldn't go with those exact colors, but you have the right idea :)

Red lettering with blue needles for Pontiac.  Some orange-yellowish trim would be good.

Green-blue lettering with yellow needles for Buick.  Some bright-green trim as well.

Yes. It's the gauges that are the problem.

How about spending that $ on soft touch plastics? Or less cheesy fake wood?

Or properly aligning panel gaps?....Or leaving the interesting stuff on their production version of their concept cars (see Aura)?

While the idea of different color gauges sounds appealing, its a complete and total waste of $.

Or properly aligning panel gaps?....Or leaving the interesting stuff on their production version of their concept cars (see Aura)?

While the idea of different color gauges sounds appealing, its a complete and total waste of $.

Its an easy fix though, which is why it was brought up. :P

And quality of materials in the Aura interior isn't an issue (yet), its the design that is pure BS.

I hardly think it's an expensive cost on a car to put some creative LED lighting. Corolla's, Civics, etc., have them. Seriously? Spending the money on soft touch plastics? That sounds much more expensive. Especially when you consider the volume of plastic in your average interior.

I hardly think it's an expensive cost on a car to put some creative LED lighting.  Corolla's, Civics, etc., have them.  Seriously?  Spending the money on soft touch plastics?  That sounds much more expensive.  Especially when you consider the volume of plastic in your average interior.

Just to clarify my point: The lighting takes time, money and creative resources away from REAL needs, as I had outlined.

Some of the plastics GM has been using might be better if there were an extra buck or two in the budget...I'm not expecting Audi interiors, but VW possibly? It's not like the tooling, tech and development budget for the 4 year old Epsilon architecture hasn't been amortized by now...

Just one question...who feels their dash when they sit in their car??? People sit in the seat, turn on the climate control(or open the windows), turn on the radio, and drive off...This means that they should focus on seat quality and comfort, feeling of stereo controls and Climate controls, window and lock switches, steering wheel comfort, and transmtion shiftewr thing comfort. As well as visual appeal...but that should come after comfort.

Just one question...who feels their dash when they sit in their car??? People sit in the seat, turn on the climate control(or open the windows), turn on the radio, and drive off...This means that they should focus on seat quality and comfort, feeling of stereo controls and Climate controls, window and lock switches, steering wheel comfort, and transmtion shiftewr thing comfort. As well as visual appeal...but that should come after comfort.

Newsflash...plastics are part of each and every thing you mention...thus, enhancing interior plastics, including soft touch dash pieces, are part of what you're describing.

Sit in a last gen VW for an example of tactile quality at this price point....it can be done.

Unfortunately, the Aura's switchgear is of lower quality than most current GM cars. It was terrible in person.

Newsflash...plastics are part of each and every thing you mention...thus, enhancing interior plastics, including soft touch dash pieces, are part of what you're describing.

Sit in a last gen VW for an example of tactile quality at this price point....it can be done.

I understand...but I am talking about the dash....not center stack. I am talking about that vast space behind the center stack...No one is going to feel that...just dust it ocassionally.

I do from time to time. I don't want hard, grainy, hollow, cheap plastics that feel like the could cut me if i rubbed them any harder one every damn surface. I want the top of the doors to the armrests soft, the dhas soft, the steering wheel soft, and the center armrest soft. the rest i could live with (although in a premium car everything should be soft).

I do from time to time. I don't want hard, grainy, hollow, cheap plastics that feel like the could cut me if i rubbed them any harder one every damn surface. I want the top of the doors to the armrests soft, the dhas soft, the steering wheel soft, and the center armrest soft. the rest i could live with (although in a premium car everything should be soft).

Also in the case of the Aura the controls should be better integrated than that. Even with those same controls GM could do a better job (look no further than the Sky).

Just to clarify my point: The lighting takes time, money and creative resources away from REAL needs, as I had outlined.

Some of the plastics GM has been using might be better if there were an extra buck or two in the budget...I'm not expecting Audi interiors, but VW possibly? It's not like the tooling, tech and development budget for the 4 year old Epsilon architecture hasn't been amortized by now...

Again, I can't believe it would take THAT MUCH time or money to work on the gauges. Hey, even if they threw LEDs behind their current designs, the gauges would be brighter and clearer. Take the LaCrosse gauges for example: If Buick stuck ice white LEDs behind their current cluster, the greenish-blue colors would be brighter, bolder. The needles, would be bright, crisp, bright white, not a dull off-white. It would stand out more. And that'd take almost no effort on GMs part.

Does the quality of plastics really matter in how it functions? No. That said, customers can tell by looking at the materials if they are quality, and that adds to their unquantifiable perception of the car as either a POS or as worthy of their purchasing dollars.

Let's use an analogy:

You are in the market for a new home. You are looking at two midsized houses in two identical neighborhoods with the commutes, schools, parks, etc...everything quantifiable is identical. The home prices are even within a few grand of each other. For the most part...these two homes are the same.

Both homes are made of stucco. Both are coral. Same layout. Everything is the same from a quantifiable standpoint here too.

You step inside. Both homes have drywall.

Home #1 has painted drywall, while Home #2 has a textured drywall finish.

Home #1 has matte white finished appliances, while Home #2 has the exact same appliances, but with the stainless steel finish.

Home #1 has laminate countertops, while Home #2 has granite countertops.

The plumbing fixtures in Home #1 are all your standard-issue type, like the kind you could find at the high-end line at Home Depot. Home #2 has plumbing fixtures from Kohler, in an antique brass finish.

Home #1 has a poured concrete patio and walkway, while Home #2 also has concrete, but with aggregate added.

Home #1 has a track light system in the living room, as does Home #2, but with a dimmer switch.

I could go on, but priced the same, everyone would pick Home #2. Functionally, the lights turn on and off, the patio/walkway is walkable, plumbing fixtures work, appliances are the same, countertops are countertops, and drywall is drywall. Quantifiably they are the same (OK OK you can cut on granite countertops without a cutting board, but ignore that), yet the extra details...that dimmer switch, textured drywall, aggregated concrete, premium finishes, etc...they just add to that overall ambience of quality. They make the customer feel cared about and appreciated.

GM is Home #1 and Honda is Home #2. Quantifiably the same...but the overall attention to detail in a Honda woos more buyers than the general lack of attention to detail in the more utilitarian GMs.

This is true about the functionsCroc, and as you said, it's the details that matter. On top of that, if you happen to tap the dash, or any part of the car and see severe flext on the plastics of say a Malibu or a Dakota, and you go to say an Accord and feel how much sturdier, well put together, and pleasant feeling they are, you get an impression of quality and durablity you don't get with the Malibu and Dakota.

If you're looking for a new car, you're putting serious money into that purchace. It's a long term investment, and you don't want to feellike you didn't get your money's worth when you see poor assembly, cheap plastics, and other forms of cost cutting. You don't want to see flash on the edge of the plastic either.

Edited by Dodgefan

Does the quality of plastics really matter in how it functions?  No.  That said, customers can tell by looking at the materials if they are quality, and that adds to their unquantifiable perception of the car as either a POS or as worthy of their purchasing dollars.

Let's use an analogy:

You are in the market for a new home.  You are looking at two midsized houses in two identical neighborhoods with the commutes, schools, parks, etc...everything quantifiable is identical.  The home prices are even within a few grand of each other.  For the most part...these two homes are the same.

Both homes are made of stucco.  Both are coral.  Same layout.  Everything is the same from a quantifiable standpoint here too.

You step inside.  Both homes have drywall.

Home #1 has matte white finished appliances, while Home #2 has the exact same appliances, but with the stainless steel finish.

The plumbing fixtures in Home #1 are all your standard-issue type, like the kind you could find at the high-end line at Home Depot.  Home #2 has plumbing fixtures from Kohler, in an antique brass finish.

Home #1 has a poured concrete patio and walkway, while Home #2 also has concrete, but with aggregate added.

Home #1 has a track light system in the living room, as does Home #2, but with a dimmer switch.

I could go on, but priced the same, everyone would pick Home #2.  Functionally, the lights turn on and off, the patio/walkway is walkable, plumbing fixtures work, appliances are the same, countertops are countertops, and drywall is drywall.  Quantifiably they are the same (OK OK you can cut on granite countertops without a cutting board, but ignore that), yet the extra details...that dimmer switch, textured drywall, aggregated concrete, premium finishes, etc...they just add to that overall ambience of quality.  They make the customer feel cared about and appreciated.

GM is Home #1 and Honda is Home #2.  Quantifiably the same...but the overall attention to detail in a Honda woos more buyers than the general lack of attention to detail in the more utilitarian GMs.

:withstupid:

The analogy still stands, since I think we can all agree that most GM products are not Mac or Vaio versions of vehicles...

If the resources are limited and differentiation depends upon creatively using the budget you have, I feel that GM doesn't maximize the resources at its disposal.

Volvo's center stack uses less materials in a stylish, new way.

VW sells cars for less than 20K that have world-class interiors, built by labor that gets paid more than UAW stiffs.

Honda's fit has a 5 speed Auto available.

There are tons of examples of other automakers using their resources smarter...there are very few real innovative ideas coming out of GM right now...it doesn't cost extra to work smart or design cool stuff and that should be an overriding concern for GM fans.

Does the quality of plastics really matter in how it functions?  No.  That said, customers can tell by looking at the materials if they are quality, and that adds to their unquantifiable perception of the car as either a POS or as worthy of their purchasing dollars.

Let's use an analogy:

You are in the market for a new home.  You are looking at two midsized houses in two identical neighborhoods with the commutes, schools, parks, etc...everything quantifiable is identical.  The home prices are even within a few grand of each other.  For the most part...these two homes are the same.

Both homes are made of stucco.  Both are coral.  Same layout.  Everything is the same from a quantifiable standpoint here too.

You step inside.  Both homes have drywall.

The plumbing fixtures in Home #1 are all your standard-issue type, like the kind you could find at the high-end line at Home Depot.  Home #2 has plumbing fixtures from Kohler, in an antique brass finish.

I could go on, but priced the same, everyone would pick Home #2.  Functionally, the lights turn on and off, the patio/walkway is walkable, plumbing fixtures work, appliances are the same, countertops are countertops, and drywall is drywall.  Quantifiably they are the same (OK OK you can cut on granite countertops without a cutting board, but ignore that), yet the extra details...that dimmer switch, textured drywall, aggregated concrete, premium finishes, etc...they just add to that overall ambience of quality.  They make the customer feel cared about and appreciated.

GM is Home #1 and Honda is Home #2.  Quantifiably the same...but the overall attention to detail in a Honda woos more buyers than the general lack of attention to detail in the more utilitarian GMs.

That was an excellent, excellent, excellent example.......thanks Croc.....

:thumbsup:

The analogy still stands, since I think we can all agree that most GM products are not Mac or Vaio versions of vehicles...

If the resources are limited and differentiation depends upon creatively using the budget you have, I feel that GM doesn't maximize the resources at its disposal.

Volvo's center stack uses less materials in a stylish, new way.

VW sells cars for less than 20K that have world-class interiors, built by labor that gets paid more than UAW stiffs.

Honda's fit has a 5 speed Auto available.

There are tons of examples of other automakers using their resources smarter...there are very few real innovative ideas coming out of GM right now...it doesn't cost extra to work smart or design cool stuff and that should be an overriding concern for GM fans.

.....and many manufacturers today offer auto up AND down on all the windows.

I was just thinking about that and how I can't BELIEVE I spent over $60K for a Corvette Convertible and ONLY have auto DOWN on the driver's side window....especially irritating for me because in the convertible, I'm always cycling the windows up and down as I lower and raise the top (the windows don't automatically cycle, a la BMW convertibles.)

oh, and no steering-wheel radio controls on the 'Vette either.....even though the SAME steering wheel gracing G6s and other models HAVE those radio controls.....

Ugh...

.......just GM not sweating all the details.

Edited by The O.C.

.....and many manufacturers today offer auto up AND down on all the windows.

I was just thinking about that and how I can't BELIEVE I spent over $60K for a Corvette Convertible and ONLY have auto DOWN on the driver's side window....especially irritating for me because in the convertible, I'm always cycling the windows up and down as I lower and raise the top (the windows don't automatically cycle, a la BMW convertibles.)

oh, and no steering-wheel radio controls on the 'Vette either.....even though the SAME steering wheel gracing G6s and other models HAVE those radio controls.....

Ugh...

.......just GM not sweating all the details.

Unfortunately, the list goes on and on...I get to see lots of different manufacturer's new stuff...and while I'll 100% agree that GM's stuff is SO much better than before, its the details that still escape them time after time, across the board. even my Grandfather, who is a Caddy addict, is being driven crazy by his new STS....the keyless entry is hard to understand...the default mode means you can't verify that the car has been locked up visually, since whenever you approach the car, it unlocks and stays unlocked...noone at the dealership explained that to him and he panicked when he had to park in the street near my house recently....perhaps that's kind of dumb, but you could imagine that the scenario should have been anticipated....also, the base suspension is so much harder riding than the SLS he came out of, he wishes he bought a beemer because he would have expected the ride, at least...I realize that 70 yo retirees are no longer Caddy's target, but shouldn't a suspension have been made available (or a magnaride setting, at least?)

Guys, come on here. If you want to talk about computers, do so in the lounge. This thread is about the Aura, and there's no reason for you to have gotten so off topic that 18 of the last 19 posts have been about computers.

Again, take it to the lounge. I'm deleting all of these computer posts.

Guys, come on here. If you want to talk about computers, do so in the lounge. This thread is about the Aura, and there's no reason for you to have gotten so off topic that 18 of the last 19 posts have been about computers.

Again, take it to the lounge. I'm deleting all of these computer posts.

that was mean :( oh well :P