2007 SATURN AURA PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

2007 SATURN AURA PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

2007 SATURN AURA Press Release

Overview

Models: Saturn Aura XE and XR

Body style / driveline: sedan / front-engine, front-wheel drive

Construction: body-frame integral

EPA vehicle class: midsize car

Manufacturing location: Fairfax Assembly Plant, Kansas City, Kan.

Key competitors: Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Volkswagen Passat

Engine

Type: 3.5L V-6 OHV w/VVT 3.6L V-6 DOHC w/VVT

Displacement (cu in / cc): 213 / 3490 217 / 3564

Bore & stroke (in / mm): 3.90 x 2.99 / 99 x 76 3.70 x 3.37 / 94 x 85.6

Block material: cast iron aluminum with cast-in bore liners

Cylinder head material: aluminum aluminum

Valvetrain: overhead valve; 2 valves per cylinder; variable valve timing DOHC; 4 valves per cylinder; variable valve timing

Fuel delivery: sequential fuel injection sequential fuel injection

Compression ratio: 9.8:1 10.2:1

Horsepower (hp / kw): 224 / 167 @ 5900 rpm* 252 / 188 @ 6300 rpm*

Torque (lb-ft / Nm): 220 / 298 @ 4000 rpm* 251 / 340 @ 3200 rpm*

Recommended fuel: 87 octane 87 octane

Max. engine rpm (fuel cutoff): 6400 rpm 7000 rpm

Emissions controls: dual close-coupled converters; returnless fuel rail; fast-response oxygen sensors dual close-coupled converters; returnless fuel rail, 2 pre- and 2 post- oxygen sensors

Estimated fuel economy

(city / hwy): 20 / 30 18 / 27

Transmission

Manufacturer: GM Powertrain GM Powertrain

Type: Hydra-Matic 4T45-E 4-speed automatic transmission Hydra-Matic 6T70 6-speed automatic transmission

Gear Ratio (:1)

First: 2.96 4.48

Second: 1.62 2.87

Third: 1.00 1.84

Fourth: 0.68 1.41

Fifth: -- 1.00

Sixth: -- 0.74

Reverse: 2.14 2.88

Final drive ratio: 3.05 2.77

Chassis/Suspension

Front: MacPherson strut with aluminum L-shaped control arms; direct-acting stabilizer bar

Rear: XE: Four-link independent with twin-tube gas shocks; dual-rate mini-block coil springs; direct-acting stabilizer bar.

XR: Four-link independent with monotube shocks; dual-rate mini-block coil springs; direct-acting stabilizer bar.

Steering type: hydraulic rack-and-pinion

Steering ratio: 16.2:1

Steer wheel turns, lock-to-lock: 2.8

Turning circle, curb-to-curb (ft / m): 40.4 / 12.3

Brakes

Type 4-wheel disc with 4-channel ABS

Rotor diameter (in / mm): front: 11.65 / 296, ventilated

rear: 10.63 / 270, solid

Wheels/Tires

Wheel size and type: 17-in fascia spoke steel with cover (std XE)

17-in chromed cover (opt XE)

17-in cast aluminum (opt XE)

18-in ultra-bright spun cast aluminum (std XR)

Tire size and type: P225/50R17 touring blackwall (XE)

P225/50R18 touring blackwall (XR)

Dimensions

Exterior

Wheelbase (in / mm): 112.3 / 2852

Overall length (in / mm): 190.0 / 4851

Overall width (in / mm): 70.3 / 1786

Overall height (in / mm): 57.6 / 1464

Track

Front (in / mm): 59.9 / 1523

Rear (in / mm): 60.3 / 1533

Curb weight (lb / kg): 3528.5 / 1600.5 (XE)

3647.1 / 1654.3 (XR)

Interior

Seating capacity (front / rear): 2 / 3

Headroom

Front (in /mm): 39.4 / 1000

Rear (in / mm): 37.4 / 950

Legroom

Front (in / mm): 42.2 / 1073

Rear (in / mm): 37.6 / 953

Shoulder room

Front (in / mm): 55.9 / 1420

Rear (in / mm): 54.0 / 1371

Hip room

Front (in / mm): 53.0 / 1345

Rear (in / mm): 52.2 / 1328

Cargo volume (cu ft / L): 15.7 / 444.6

Capacities

Fuel tank (gal / L): 16.3 gallons

Engine oil (qt / L): 4.0 / 3.8 (XE)

5.5 / 5.2 (XR)

Cooling system (qt / L): 9.9 / 9.4 (XE)

9.9 / 9.4 (XR)

Max towing capacity (lb / kg): 1000 / 453

*Pending SAE certification. A new voluntary power and torque certification procedure developed by the SAE Engine Test Code committee was approved March 31, 2005. This procedure (J2723) ensures fair, accurate ratings for horsepower and torque by allowing manufacturers to certify their engines through third-party witness testing. GM was the first auto manufacturer to begin using the procedure and expects to use it for all newly rated engines in the future.

Ugh..the base model gets the old 3.5 with a 4spd. Can't they make the 3.6 w/ the 6spd standard and leave the old stuff for the Malibu??

I agree with you on the 4 speed but what is wrong with a 224hp 220lb ft of torque 3.5VVT V6 as the base engine? Its not old, the engine was just introduced in the 06 Impala and the one in the Aura has been tweaked to put out an additional 13hp and 6lbs ft of torque.

Okay, so some positives:

Available 252hp 3.6L engine with 6-speed auto.

Standard 17" wheels

Standard 224hp engine.

Not too bad.

Now, let's see some pictures :)

I wonder if this means that the Impala or Malibu/G6 will get a little hp boost for 07?

15.7 cubic feet of cargo space, 37.6" of rear legroom...I like! So will many happy families hopefully.

Well its still based on Epsilon so dimensions can't really change. It is a bit heavy but that would not stop me from buying one over Accord or (UGLY) Camry.

Nice 224hp V6 as a base. I think they do need a 2.4L 170 Ecotec in there as well, just to cover all the bases. And a 6 speed manual.

The fuel economy seems kinda disappointing, but I'm glad the they were able to stick with the HF3.6L engine, and the six speed auto as well. The exterior is growing on me. Not a "wow" factor, but more of a "thats handsome, I guess" look.

I wonder what kind of fuel economy the Ford Fusion will have when it finally receives the corporate 3.5L, because in all honesty most mags are going to compare the Aura with the Fusion.

The fuel economy seems kinda disappointing, but I'm glad the they were able to stick with the HF3.6L engine, and the six speed auto as well.  The exterior is growing on me.  Not a "wow" factor, but more of a "thats handsome, I guess" look.

I wonder what kind of fuel economy the Ford Fusion will have when it finally receives the corporate 3.5L, because in all honesty most mags are going to compare the Aura with the Fusion.

I agree the 18/27mpg is bit of a let down when you figure in the 6 speed auto.

Also, 3,647 lb curb weight? Wow. That is more than 100lbs heavier than some new Monte Carlos and Grand Prixs even.

Ugh..the base model gets the old 3.5 with a 4spd. Can't they make the 3.6 w/ the 6spd standard and leave the old stuff for the Malibu??

It will be the kiss-of-death for this car in GM's ongoing public-perception battle.

They would have been FAR better off with a standard 170hp 2.4L Ecotec with the same 6-speed automatic that the HF V6 gets.

And DAMN what's with the curb weights of 3,500 and 3,600 lbs....? Dulls performance, dulls handling, dulls economy. How did these cars get so heavy?

I agree the 18/27mpg is bit of a let down when you figure in the 6 speed auto.

Also, 3,647 lb curb weight? Wow.  That is more than 100lbs heavier than some new Monte Carlos and Grand Prixs even.

And probably is a main contributor to the 18/27 ratings. The new Camry V6 gets 22/31 with the more-powerful 268hp 3.5L and 6-speed auto.

So when is this car FINALL Y coming into production, like 2020???

This year. 2020? Come on man, thats pretty weak. As for the 2.4 Ecotec for the base engine. If the 3.5 gets comparable gas mileage, at comparable price, with 54 more hp and 58 more lbs ft of torque why would a 2.4 be required?

I agree the 2.4 is needed. First, for better mileage, and more importantly because a lot of Camry and Accord buyers don't care if they have a V6 or an I4 as long as it gets them from point A to point B. A very large percentage of Camry and Accord sales are with I4s, and the Aura should offer one if it wants to compete for those sales.

I agree the 2.4 is needed. First, for better mileage, and more importantly because a lot of Camry and Accord buyers don't care if they have a V6 or an I4 as long as it gets them from point A to point B. A very large percentage of Camry and Accord sales are with I4s, and the Aura should offer one if it wants to compete for those sales.

And Altimas. If this car is truly going after imports it needs to mimick them and that includeds a 4 cly. However, it would need the 6 speed auto and a manual to help the 2.4L overcome the mass of the Aura

I stopped into the local Toyota store a few days ago and walked the Camry inventory.

They had probably over 100 new Camrys in stock.....and I'd say that 98% of them were LE 4cyls with wheel covers, cloth interior, automatics, and MSRPs of about $21,200.

Other than the wheel covers and cloth, they were loaded with power w/l/m, cruise, CD player, A/C, 5-speed autos.

The EPA estimates on those cars was 24city/33hwy.

I saw 1 SE V6 model and maybe 4-5 XLE V6 models out of ALL those Camrys.

If you wanna chase the leaders, you need to at least be able to match what they are selling in mass....(eg...AURA w/2.4L, 6-speed auto.)

I stopped into the local Toyota store a few days ago and walked the Camry inventory.

They had probably over 100 new Camrys in stock.....and I'd say that 98% of them were LE 4cyls with wheel covers, cloth interior, automatics, and MSRPs of about $21,200. 

Other than the wheel covers and cloth, they were loaded with power w/l/m, cruise, CD player, A/C, 5-speed autos.

The EPA estimates on those cars was 24city/33hwy.

I saw 1 SE V6 model and maybe 4-5 XLE V6 models out of ALL those Camrys.

If you wanna chase the leaders, you need to at least be able to match what they are selling in mass....(eg...AURA w/2.4L, 6-speed auto.)

Part of the problem is GM is not chasing the big boys with the Aura. They are planning to sell "only" about 100k - 75k Auras a year.

Squandered opportunity I would say. This could have been a real homerun for them with serious volume.

Saturn does not have the perceived baggage that Chevrolet and Pontiac have.

At the other end, Saturn does not command the premium attention that say VW does but Saturn is GMs best brand (opportunity) for conquest sales.

It does not make sense to me. GM still trying to be all things to all people. Pick a foe and fight them head on. Tyring to fight everyone at once does not work.

It reminds me of that time we went down to see the first SLs at the dealer when Saturn was launched. And there was that old guy that asked the Saturn sales consultant, "Can you get one of these with bench seats?"

Why they hell "figuretively" did they offer the bench seat option on the Aura this time around?

Part of the problem is GM is not chasing the big boys with the Aura.  They are planning to sell "only" about 100k - 75k Auras a year.

Squandered opportunity I would say.  This could have been a real homerun for them with serious volume.

Saturn does not have the perceived baggage that Chevrolet and Pontiac have.

At the other end, Saturn does not command the premium attention that say VW does but Saturn is GMs best brand (opportunity) for conquest sales.

It does not make sense to me.  GM still trying to be all things to all people.  Pick a foe and fight them head on.  Tyring to fight everyone at once does not work.

It reminds me of that time we went down to see the first SLs at the dealer when Saturn was launched.  And there was that old guy that asked the Saturn sales consultant, "Can you get one of these with bench seats?"

Why they hell "figuretively" did they offer the bench seat option on the Aura this time around?

Saturl will not be able to steal any of VW's clientele. Their target must be the Camrys and Accords of the market. They are lost trying to appeal to VW or other upscale brands; stick to Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan.

Saturl will not be able to steal any of VW's clientele. Their target must be the Camrys and Accords of the market. They are lost trying to appeal to VW or other upscale brands; stick to Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan.

Someone is getting testy! ha ha

Re-read what I wrote.

I used the word "say".

As in example.

Just busting balls.

If the 3500VVT is priced competitively with the Camry and Accord I4's when comparably equiped, you will have major sucess.

The Epsilons are a bit heavy, something which I never really understood since the Saab 9-3 weighs in at less than 3200lbs. But dumping that panoramic sunroof would probably save 75lbs if not more. So if you want a lighter car, just start deleting the options, and it should get back down to about 3500lbs.

Still not wide enough to be competitive.

With you there-its just not 1985 anymore-get away from narrow A-Body widths! Jack it up to 72-73 at least!

maybe the wieght is alot of support parts to make it one tough car...along with making it still cheap by not using lightweight expensive materials.

the 3.5 upgrades should be across the board, wouldn't it be cheaper too?