Introducing The All-New 6th Generation BMW 3 Series Sedan

Dynamic, Efficient and Luxurious

post-10485-0-48344300-1318622556.png

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – October 14, 2011 11:15 am EDT … With the announcement of the sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan, the benchmark by which all sport sedans are measured just got raised. The pioneering history of the 3 Series serves as inspiration for the new sports sedan, whose powerful styling represents a fresh interpretation and conscientious development of traditional BMW design cues. It will not only set new standards for performance and handling but also for luxury, technology and efficiency as well.

The all-new BMW 3 Series Sedan arrives in US showrooms in February 2012 as a 2012 model.

The new BMW face, with elongated headlights reaching along as far as the BMW kidney grille, emphasizes the new BMW 3 Series’ sense of width and strengthens its athletic overall profile. The sixth generation of the 3 Series has grown moderately in size compared to its predecessor, with its wide track (front + 37 mm/1.46 in., rear + 47 mm/1.85 in.) particularly prominent, and the car’s length (+ 93 mm/3.66 in.) and wheelbase (+ 50 mm/1.96 in.) also accentuates its sporting allure. Inside the new BMW 3 Series Sedan, the rear passengers will appreciate the noticeable increase in space made possible by the larger dimensions. And the BMW 3 Series range is now also available in a trio of trim and equipment variants – the Sport Line, Luxury Line and Modern Line. Each presents its own individual take on the character of the sports sedan, with exclusive, high-quality material combinations and unbeatable build quality underlining the premium ambience of the new range.

Drive and chassis technology have always been key areas of expertise for the brand, and agility and driving dynamics remain outstanding attributes of the new

BMW 3 Series Sedan. The new car belies its larger dimensions with an equipment equalized curb weight 88 lb (40 kilograms) below that of its predecessor.

A choice of two muscular, refined and efficient engines – which both feature new BMW TwinPower Turbo technology – will be available for the new BMW 3 Series Sedan in the US market. In addition to the already successful 6-cylinder N55 engine powering the 335i, customers can also opt for the new turbocharged 4-cylinder (N20) variant in the BMW 328i. This latest-generation engine, initially introduced in the 2012 Z4 sDrive28i, rewards the driver with both a dynamic driving experience and significantly reduced fuel consumption.

The innovative 8-speed automatic gearbox – which is a first in the segment – opens up a whole new level of driving experience. It can be specified in combination with either the 328i or the 335i and includes the new Auto Start-Stop function. Compact and exceptionally efficient, it allows the new BMW 3 Series to match or outperform models fitted with the standard six-speed manual gearbox in terms of fuel economy. The new 8-speed automatic brings together shift comfort, dynamic performance and efficiency of the highest order, making it the perfect partner for the new sedan’s dynamic potential.

As components of the BMW EfficientDynamics technology line-up, the Auto Start-Stop function, Brake Energy Regeneration, and need-based operation of ancillary components (including an on-demand air conditioning compressor) also play their part in reducing fuel consumption. Added to which, the new Driving Dynamics Control switch, which allows the driver to choose between Comfort, Sport, Sport + and ECO PRO mode, gives both models the potential to further improve these figures. This ECOPRO mode helps drivers maximize fuel economy through their driving style, thereby enabling them to increase the distance they can travel between visits to the pumps. BMW will add another cutting-edge engine to the line-up in 2012, when the BMW ActiveHybrid 3 will premiere.

BMW ConnectedDrive offers an unmatched combination of available driver assistance technology and mobility systems for the new BMW 3 Series range. A new arrival in the premium mid-size segment is the latest-generation full-color Head-Up Display, which projects key information – in sharp resolution – onto the windshield so it appears directly in the driver’s field of view. Also available is Surround View with Side View and Top View, which gives a bird’s-eye perspective of the vehicle and the area around it. In addition, an available Parking Assistant system helps the driver to parallel park. Among the other assistance technology available under the BMW ConnectedDrive banner are the Active Blind Spot Detection System and Lane Departure Warning System with camera-based Collision Warning system, which are offered for the first time in a BMW 3 Series. A Navigation System with Real-Time Traffic Information (RTTI) and an innovative comfort access function allowing hands-free opening of the trunk lid are all included on the options list.

It looks nice from the front. The side is bad, really bad. It looks outdated and what is up with the sunken side panels?? It looks like it was side-swiped. The interior is just ok. I'm not a fan of pop up screens blocking the windshield. also the radio/hvac controls seem a little wide spaced.

With that being said, its probably gonna be a top seller. People buy BMWs for the way they drive and not the way they look. Pity.

The look isn't that different, but that is what makes BMW, BMW. Go back to the 90s 3-series, and with each new generation, there is a change, but it is subtle. I like how this looks in black, otherwise I am not a big fan of how the headlights connect to the kidney grille or the Z4 style headlights. The rest of the car fits in with the 5 and 7 series so the consistency is good.

That being said, I agree that people buy BMW's on the way they drive. And 50/50 weight balance, 88 lbs lighter, 8-speed transmission, and 0-60 in 5.7 seconds for the base model is pretty sweet. EPA numbers will be interesting, they should be above 30 mpg for the 328i and 335i.

This car will still be the standard of the segment that all others are trying to copy.

It looks nice from the front.

With that being said, its probably gonna be a top seller. People buy BMWs for the way they drive and not the way they look. Pity.

It looks nice from the front.

That's the point. BMW's are about driving experience.

That's the point. BMW's are about driving experience.

Well, that's what BMW wants you to believe, anyway.

Another rehash of the same ol'-same ol'; good old boring, stoic, anachronistic BMW (with a side of over-wraught).

One day they might consider finally dropping the tired, beat-to-death nostrils.... but no.

Interior already needs major refinement.

Rear - predictable, scaled down 5 (which is a scaled down 7)

Side profile - looks almost exactly the same as the E90

Front - who stepped on the nose of the car and squished it?

Guess we'll have to see how it drives.

This car has led the segment for 30 years, few vehicles are critically acclaimed as #1 in segment and are best seller in segment for even a full model run, let alone 5 model runs. The contenders keep trying, but keep falling flat. The Cimarron in the 80s, the Infiniti G20 of the 90s, the Jaguar X-type came and went, Lexus IS tried twice, and Volvo and Acura never really even attempted. They all fall short, so I suspect this car will stay on top of the mountain even if the front end is a little different.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

i do like the 4 cylinder thing on this. hopefully in the next full gen of this car, that allows them to shorten the hood so it isn't so ungodly long and inefficient.

I don't...but agree the proportions are wrong.

i do like the 4 cylinder thing on this. hopefully in the next full gen of this car, that allows them to shorten the hood so it isn't so ungodly long and inefficient.

No way..the long hood is part of its character ..not a fwd econobox

But a whole lot of the character is lost with this restyle, IMHO.

But a whole lot of the character is lost with this restyle, IMHO.

it's majorly f@#ked up now in looks. and the hofmeister kink is dated and tired. the sculpting looks arbitrary and the nose looks dumb.

i would guess in 5 years the 3 series may not even have a 6 cylinder option so i hope they are designing the next platform with the goal to keep the good handling without so much space wasted under the hood.

I like the front a lot, and especially the headlights. Rear just looks like the latest BMW style--good, but exactly what I'd expect. The side profile, though? I agree with SoCalCTS--it sure looks like it's been sideswiped. Interior, like all German interiors, leaves me a bit cold.

I have to agree with Cubitar on this, a fat, stumpy, nose looks like crap on anything - on a BMW it would be ruinous.