Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Mercedes-Benz Future Engine Line Up To Include V8s, 4, and I6s?

Mercedes-Benz Future Engine Line Up To Include V8s, 4, and I6s?

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

October 28, 2011

post-10485-0-10672300-1319833491.png

Mercedes-Benz has just signed off on their new engine line to begin showing up in 2015 and major changes are coming. A new set of three and four cylinder engines from both Mercedes and Nissan/Renault will find their way into the three pointed star. Also, big-bore V8s will be replaced by smaller V8s equipped with turbochargers.

The biggest change is with their V6 lineup. According to Car magazine, a source tells them that Mercedes-Benz will be dropping their V6 engines for Inline-6s. The source also says the Inline-6 will be used for their larger vehicles and come in either a single or dual turbo setup.

Source: Car Magazine

I like the Inline-6 idea. That give the C-class and E-class a better chance against the 3-series and 5-series and a straight six in the M-class SUV will be good. And Mercedes used to make inline sixes before, they should be able to make a good one, and a straight six has the refinement of a V8, perhaps even more so.

Now what about the V12? I can't imagine an S-class (or Maybach) without a V12 option.

The e-class is already outselling the 5-series I believe.

inline engines are so hoary and antiquated, perception-wise. Bizarre move.

it's more "Exclusive" because it has lower sales

Oooooooh, I get it, when low sales are good, they're 'exclusive', when they're not, they 'don't compete'. Got it! :fryingpan:

• Agree 1

I'll bet if the ATS includes a four cylinder option, people will call it a Cimarron.

But when a Mercedes C debuts (again) with a four, it will be a champion of fuel efficiency and will show the world that Europe leads the world in innovation/fuel economy/whateverthef@#ktheargumentofthedayis.

• Agree 1

GM is already able to produce a 4-cylinder turbo that has a better power curve than a naturally aspirated FWD Northstar. If they can tame some of the NHV demons down a bit, they should be in good shape.

Inline 6s are longer which requires a longer nose which a good thing for proper RWD proportions.

Cubi... sometimes you make me :facepalm:

• Agree 1

GM is already able to produce a 4-cylinder turbo that has a better power curve than a naturally aspirated FWD Northstar. If they can tame some of the NHV demons down a bit, they should be in good shape.

Inline 6s are longer which requires a longer nose which a good thing for proper RWD proportions.

Cubi... sometimes you make me :facepalm:

I try, I try... :)

True.

Mercedes used to make inline sixes before....

"Long time ago- no one remembers that." :P

Mid 90s is when they switched to pedestrian V6s, IIRC.

That's like 6 car leases ago dude! They aren't going to remember that.

True... I just drove one this morning to Starbucks...the Merc 3.0 straight 6 is pretty nice ('91 300CE).

"RWD proportions" is the new "hardtop" on C&G. :banghead:

The inline six will provide Mercedes with a new level of BMW-ness, the E350 coupe will have long hood and proper RWD proportions AND no B-pillar for a true hardtop look. This is the only combination possible to build a car better than the Hyundai Sonata.

• Agree 1

The inline six will provide Mercedes with a new level of BMW-ness, the E350 coupe will have long hood and proper RWD proportions AND no B-pillar for a true hardtop look. This is the only combination possible to build a car better than the Hyundai Sonata.

long hood, RWD, hardtop, with straight 6 and V8 versions...that's about as pure good as it gets...

So? RWD proportions are better looking than common, generic FWD...

Check out these long hood RWD proportions....

84b.jpg

91chrimper.jpg

The E-bodies were unusal as they did look like RWD cars, they had no outward styling cues that would indicate FWD. Alas, the Chrysler gives away it's lame transverse engine/ FWD nature with the short wheel to door distance.

Short hood, long deck, hardtop, RWD, V8 & American one-ups the above.

Short hood and long deck..unpleasant except on a midengined car, IMO. Alas, I doubt if anything like this will happen in the future from an American automaker..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

^ everything is cyclical, you never kno (RE short hood/long deck). Unfortunately, you have CAFE on your side here. :(

The XTS takes things in a strange direction of short hood, shorter deck.

No, take a look at the ass on the XTS in Chris's Cadillac XTS spy video

^ everything is cyclical, you never kno (RE short hood/long deck). Unfortunately, you have CAFE on your side here. :(

The XTS takes things in a strange direction of short hood, shorter deck.

No, take a look at the ass on the XTS in Chris's Cadillac XTS spy video

I like the music in that video.