Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM News: Revealed! 2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer Concept

Revealed! 2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer Concept

By "black-knight" C&G Editor/Reporter

9th November, 2011

gallery_51_275_634.jpg

Dinosaurs. Sabre-Toothed Tigers. Megalodons. Cheap V8-powered, mid-sized muscle coupes. Large, rear-drive Cadillacs. Truck-based mid-sized SUVs. These are all things that have wound up extinct or virtually endangered to the point of complete extinction.

But once in a rare while, sometimes a species can save itself and rise triumphantly from the point of sinking completely into the primordial ooze (organic, automotive, or otherwise). Out of the groups mentioned above, one may just do that.

Of course, I'm talking about truck-based mid-sized SUVs and one small, Bowtie-based faction of the species may be making a small comeback.

As we reported last month, the new Trailblazer reconnects with its old S10 Blazer roots and forsakes a unique platform this time, instead choosing to share it with the new Colorado. Nostalgic indeed. Powertrains are expected to be the same as what will be offered in the Colorado.

Previously, GM has stated there are no current plans to bring the new Trailblazer Stateside, which means it will only see duty in Asia and South America. However, there are rumblings it may eventually find its way here, if not in Chevrolet guise then as a GMC. However it gets here doesn't matter. What's important is that shows up to throw a big middle finger in the face of CAFE (and smug Prius driving women).

More information on the new Trailblazer will be released throughout the day, so stay tuned.

Source: Car Adivce

More Photos:

Album: 2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer Concept

4 images

0 comments

View full article

Edited by black-knight

That's VERY production-ready. As I said in the other thread, it looks good! Proportions are spot-on, the front styling is masculine enough without being "angry"-looking...and the lines are just soft-enough that I think women would like it, too. Rear styling looks pretty strong, too, though I prefer the passenger's-side taillight design better than the driver's-side taillight (could that be more incongruous of a chop?). I really like the hatch design, integrated wiper, and the amount of visibility that it appears to have. D-pillar, however, looks massive.

I LOVE the style of the interior, but in the chop the materials look cheap. Obviously that's the reflection effect of the chop. Here's hoping GM shows off a current-generation interior, not a last-generation interior with too much hard plastic. That was the downfall of the GMT-360s and the GMT-355s.

This needs to be built and sold in North America. With all of the hybrid technologies GM is working on, CAFE shouldn't be an issue.

• Agree 1

This thing is HOT. I love it, even the Saturn Outlook-inspired blue and tan interior colour combo. Appears to be a manual shift quadrant on the shift knob... shirley that will not make it here.

As for the bodystyle, it is unique and not derivative as so many crossovers are today, with that tired, triangular quarter window that even the new Escape is adopting. This Trailblazer has its own style.

This is a chance for Chevrolet to redeem itself in the eyes of thousands of old-skool, hardcore Chevy fans who miss the feeling of a truly authentic, genuinely strong truck beneath them. With the baby Duramax and gas V6 as engine choices, they'd have a real running chance at making the truck-based SUV class the standard by which others are judged once again.

I'm not feeling it. Window shapes look as random as someone cutting airholes in a cardboard box with a sawzall. Rear window treatment looks like it came from a different trucklet. Under front bumper taking cues from the Genesis coupe. Rear panel top to bottom... Bling taillights then a big expanse of boring and bling under bumper treatment. Throw in a bunch of random GM's old hat style cliches, like the quasi-clamsheel hood and the lower door panel indent. Aside from the exhaust outlets mirroring the underbumper sorner grills, there is no stylistic unity.

Buick-esque to reach the Chinese market, maybe?

I agree with ocnblu, I LOVE IT!! I can't wait to see how GMC styles their version. I think this looks way better than the Colorado pickup, and I'm the type that almost always likes the pickup version over the SUV version any day.

Can't wait to see more of this awesome looking SUV :smilewide:

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Even wiithout the showcar blig, this thing is gorgeous. Hopefully GM wises up soon, and has it in dealers alongside the new Colorado.

Where does the Trailbazer fit in the Chevy SUV pecking order? It's obviously bigger than an Equinox, but is it Traverse big? Will it do three rows? If it's anything close in size to the Traverse, I'd just off the Traverse and bring it back as a minivan or something.

pretty good concept. i do tend to agree the side windows are not very Chevy. However, most of the bodywork is pretty good.

The interior looks a bit bland, unfinished, not all very typical chevy controls for here, and lacks any pop that say for example, the Equinox has inside.

The construction of the Trailblazer is so etched in people's minds that I think this maybe is a little too Miller Select in terms of downsizing the beef.

Which may be why this is not slated for the US.

Edited by regfootball

Oh they will sell it here. JUSt as the Cruze and Colorado they will play the can't have it here game and then anounce it will be built in a plant here.

Jeep sales are up because it has 4 doors and t cheaper than most other SUV's Different styling helps too. what would you buy a boring exscape of a Jeep.

If they bring this is there a real need for the Traverse anymore. You have the Tahoe and you will have this. The Traverse really does not help in the MPG department and is not price much less than the Tahoe.

I do approve of the styling so far and I think it should answer the Explorer well.

I just will be happy for this and the Colorado to have a proper quality interior.

Hyperv6,

Yes there is a need for the Traverse. Remember that the Lambda platform replaced the U-body minivans, not the GMT-360s. There will still be a need for that Traverse, even though I think that Traverse buyers should consider the Enclave in its place.

There is room for both. For the most part, I like this new Trailblazer concept. A real truck-based SUV that can tow and haul more than a Traverse without the Tahoe price tag is a good thing.

I gotta admit that I'm smitten by this TrailBlazer SUV. I'm still waiting for GMC's version of the Colorado pickup, and now the thought of an Envoy reintroduction just has me going :breakdance::mind-blowing: My plan for 2015/2016 was to keep the Envoy as the family hauler and add either the Canyon-replacement pickup or a Sierra pickup (regular cab)... but with these new SUVs possibly being offered for sale in the States, I may have to rethink that plan.

I see little point in the Transverse with this vehicle.

I too find it too minivanish and the MPG is nothing to write home about.

I would hope this Trailblazer will have a more stable frame than the last. The old one had a lot of flex to it. I also hope no one get the idea to make another long wheel base either, talk about ugly. I am sure both the frame will be stiffer and the wheel base will not be changes.

I would hope this Trailblazer will have a more stable frame than the last. The old one had a lot of flex to it. I also hope no one get the idea to make another long wheel base either, talk about ugly. I am sure both the frame will be stiffer and the wheel base will not be changes.

Considering that it has 3-rows of seats, I doubt a longer-wheel base 5-door model will ever show up. Now going the other way - shortening it to a 3-door - would be much appreciated. Land Rover is planning to offer a 3-door Defender (as per the concepts shown already), and GM was known for years to offer a 3-door Blazer, so it would be logical that a sportier, back to its roots 3-door would be at least in the planning stage at this point.

• Agree 2

Considering that it has 3-rows of seats, I doubt a longer-wheel base 5-door model will ever show up. Now going the other way - shortening it to a 3-door - would be much appreciated. Land Rover is planning to offer a 3-door Defender (as per the concepts shown already), and GM was known for years to offer a 3-door Blazer, so it would be logical that a sportier, back to its roots 3-door would be at least in the planning stage at this point.

I really did not think they would offer the LWB as it was a mess the last time. I just wish they would make the third row an option as I know few people who ever use them. I would rather see the price drop and the cargo space improve.

The third row may be great for those who don't use birth control or travel to Mecca but for most people it is just in the way. As an option it is there for those who really want it if needed.

wow, this is freaking lovely. It would be perfect for me to replace my daughters 99 durango with. Now I just hope GM wakes up and brings it here as I currently do not like anything in the chevy family other than the tahoe and suburban and those are too big for my daughter. I wanted a trailblazer ss but then came the end of the line and so now I am looking around and waiting.

I really did not think they would offer the LWB as it was a mess the last time. I just wish they would make the third row an option as I know few people who ever use them. I would rather see the price drop and the cargo space improve.

The third row may be great for those who don't use birth control or travel to Mecca but for most people it is just in the way. As an option it is there for those who really want it if needed.

Hyperv6 I have to totally disagree with you over the 3rd row seat. The reason my daughter, son and wife love the 99 Durango we have is that when you need space for cargo, you have it, but then when you need a few extra seats for carring people, you can pull them up and have them also. This trailblazer allows you to squeeze in a few more kids or a couple of adults for short trips and that give a ton of value in my opinion.

Just found this in the media center of GM.

The 2.8-liter turbo diesel yields 180 hp and a very impressive 346 lb-ft of torque. For reference, that's just 20 horsepower shy of the base 4.8-liter V8 in the Chevrolet Silverado 1500, but it's also 41 more lb-ft of torque. GM hasn't released any fuel economy estimates on either diesel engine, but both can be mated to either a five-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. Four-wheel drive versions of the Colorado make use of a two-speed, electronically actuated transfer case.

Thought this is pretty amazing for such a small engine to be so powerful, just hope it truly can last like a v8. Wish they would confirm the towing capabilities.

Even old VW diesel 4-cylinders have to be taken out behind the barn and shot after the rest of the body rusts away. They just don't stop running.

That is just damn funny!!! :roflmao:

Hyperv6 I have to totally disagree with you over the 3rd row seat. The reason my daughter, son and wife love the 99 Durango we have is that when you need space for cargo, you have it, but then when you need a few extra seats for carring people, you can pull them up and have them also. This trailblazer allows you to squeeze in a few more kids or a couple of adults for short trips and that give a ton of value in my opinion.

While some folks may need seating with the 3rd row most never use it and if they do they use it just to put space between the kids.

Most cars on the road carry 1 person most of the time and 2-3 some of the time few carry more than 5 ever even if they have the room unless they are the short bus.

I just feel it would be better suited to make the seat available to the minority that need it vs the majority that would either keep it folded up or in storage in the garage.

In short let the people who need it able to get it but stop sticking the majority of us paying for a seat we do not want.

Agree or not that is just my opinion. I already have a pair of 911 seats on legs in the garage lounge area and don't need a Trailblazer love seat there too. LOL!

• 3 years later...
Guest Richard Gist

Add a z28 like front bumper facia 20 inch camro ss type 5 spokes rims and a 420hp 6.2 lt1 or twin turbo 4.3 with 500hp call it the sho gun edition or perhaps the" Grd "Gerneral Motors Race Editions ! You will have a sure winner ! I perfer a twin screw 4.3 or 4.8ls .