Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The Aura needs better wheels and piano black

*IF ANYONE FROM GM IS READING THIS*

----------

The generic, indistinct wheel design that debuted on the Aura XR is the one aspect that detracts from the production exterior's progressive overall appearance. I applaud GM for remaining so true to the concept's winning sheetmetal, but the wheels are unfitting of the design's otherwise athletic demeanor and hinder it's ability to stand out in an oversaturated market. Subsituting the wheels for a sportier (if still understated) alternative like those on the Sky or even the Outlook would accent the Aura's exterior far more effectively. The XR's current wheel design looks more suited to the XE trim, rather than the uplevel XR.

The Aura has what it takes to turn Saturn around. Don't allow something as frivolous as wheel options to cause it to blend in.

----------

In addition, the black plastic incorporated in and around the HVAC and stereo controls take away from an otherwise very nice interior design. The unattractive black plastic sticks out like a sore thumb and would look much better if the Piano Black finish from the Sky along with aluminum instead of the wood was implemented into the design.

An interior with a stunning Piano Black center stack would do wonders to set the Aura's interior apart from the pack.

In addition, the Outlook's interior would also be even better with the Piano Black finish on the center stack.

----------

Thank You

What does everyone think?

I agree. The piano black trim is one of the things I really like about my future SKY's interior. I was disappointed that the AURA doesn't make use of this trim in it's interior design. And I would have loved to see toned-down versions of the AURA concept's wheels make it to production. The wheels pictured don't help the design at all. Please GM, make these changes and make them fast!

I'd like to encourage relevant, well thought-out replies in response to this topic. The Aura is a remarkable effort from Saturn and GM. We hope the outlined changes are a feasible step toward maximizing it's potential in the crucial midsize market.

Thanks

Yes, sexier 5-spoke wheels, like the Sky's or the concept Aura's, would do wonders to the overall appearance of the exterior. Those bland multi-spoke wheels largely detract from it as they have no connection to the design and can be seen on many other cars. Also, a piano black treatment to the center stack would greatly increase the interior appearance. As it stands, the lower portion, that's surrounded with wood and containing the radio and HVAC controls, doesn't flow well with the upper portion very well. The greyish plastic just exaggerates that. A piano black finish, like the Sky's, as well as metal-like trim, is much more upscale looking.

Personally, I would also like to see projector-beam headlights in place of the average halogen-bulbed ones as well as larger, more shapely lower grill openings like the concept's. A redesigned center stack, that flows more like the Sky's, without the wood seperating it into an upper and lower portion would also be something I'd prefer. I'd like to also see an available Navagation system to be completely competitive with it's rivals.

Either way, just doing what little this thread suggests would do so much towards the Aura's overall attractiveness. They're quite simply and easy changes to implement.

Edited by blackviper8891

Mr. Lutz,

I would like you to sit in the Sky, look at the center stack, and notice how nice and quality it looks. Notice that you have a hard time finding the seems of the stereo inset and how nice the piano black finish looks.

Now, go sit in the Aura. Notice how, not only are the NON-integrated stereo and HVAC controls are the same damn drab gray plastic that GM LOVES to shove into its interiors, its surrounded, for God only knows what reason, by MORE ugly and cheap black plastic. Why? You, as in your INTERIOR DESIGNERS, can obviously MAKE interiors that are not only made of quality materials, but are also designed to send a message of quality, as the Sky HAS this exact thing.

Yet the Outlook and Aura do not.

As one of your most loyal and diehard fans, it truely breaks my heart that you design your cars to be 90% competitive. A 4spd auto in 2006? Non-integrated center stacks? Come on, Lutz! Look at the new Camry, look at the new Altima, look at the Avalon, the Tacoma, the Rav4, the TL, the G35, the Civic...THIS is your competition now. Not Ford, not Dodge, but Toyota, Honda and Nissan. And they are leaving you behind with every new vehicle they put on the market.

My email is [email protected] and I would LOVE to hear from you on what GM is doing to become industry leading, not following.

Thank You,

Justin Brock aka, bowtie_dude

Personally, I would also like to see projector-beam headlights in place of the average halogen-bulbed ones as well as larger, more shapely lower grill openings like the concept's. A redesigned center stack, that flows more like the Sky's, without the wood seperating it into an upper and lower portion would also be something I'd prefer. I'd like to also see an available Navagation system to be completely competitive with it's rivals.

Quoted For Truth!

I agree. The Aura Radio/HVAC control area needs either a piano black finish or at least a color that matches the rest of the interior.

How much more expensive could it possibly be to add a different color to that area?

I really think it's time for GM to start designing it's own equipment for each vehicle it makes so everything matches.

I totally Agree

The wheels make a big difference in the cars appearance. Someoneon this site did a chop using the Vue's wheels, and even they make the car look much more appealing.

Posted Image

Mr. Lutz, I strongly recommend you consider having 5 or 6 spoke wheel designs for the XR instead of the current wheel design.

The Aura's interior is the very best of the Epsilons right now (although the Euro market BLS looks very nice too). The only thing that detracts from it is the HVAC/Stereo controls out of the GM parts bin. I really wish GM as a whole would start integrating there units like the Japanese makers do, because it makes the interior look so much morre complete. However it's probably too late to change the design of the Aura's interior, so if nothing else I think Piano Black should be an option for both the Sky and the Outlook (and every Cadillac). It gives a much better illusuion of integrated units, and looks far better.

I'm with the consensus on this one. The wheels that the production Aura debuted with leave a lot to be desired. They do nothing but make it look like a run of the mill European sedan. This car needs a nice set of chrome five or six spokes wheels to really set off the design.

I'm not a big fan of the bodyside molding either, but a hair dryer and some Goo Gone will take care of that.

The image of the Aura with those 5 spoke rims definitely enhance the look of the Aura's exterior. Five spoke rims for the XR trim will definitely make this an even better car. I agree with the suggestions for the piano black interior trim pieces as well. Also, I would also like to see projection headlights in the Auras lighting cluster. The multi-reflectors look kind of dated now, especially since many of the key players in the Aura's market segment now use them, even Hyundai and Toyota. These small changes can only make the Aura even better.

I agree.  The Aura Radio/HVAC control area needs either a piano black finish or at least a color that matches the rest of the interior. 

How much more expensive could it possibly be to add a different color to that area?

I really think it's time for GM to start designing it's own equipment for each vehicle it makes so everything matches.

Problem is, when they mean by "everything matches"... Let's see... Everyone gets a version of the HVV6 or 3800, and 4-speed Hydramatics.

simply put, this thread is rife with gread ideas to make this good, competitive car meet the details it needs to cross the line between nicely done and homerun as far as details are concerned. The number one issue seperating the perception of GM from the competition is the fit and finish of everything. this is the number one issue that detracts a person who has just been in a honda from buying a GM vehicle. The suggested changes including piano black finish/better integrated radio units, better designed wheels, projector/halogen headlamps, AND a 2.4/5-spd combo are not just good advice, they are NECESSARY changes. Take heed GM.

Give The Aura XR wheels similar in design to those of the VUE Redline, and save the ones from the Aura concept for the Aura Redline. Put the Piano Black finish on the radio/HVAC/bezel on the center stack, and take away some wood and replace it with some more metalic trim. Get rid if the ribbed surface around the gauges. Those are my only gripes. I wouldn't mind seeing the base powertrain being rethought, either. I'm not against pushrod engines, but not in a Saturn, who is going after people who nearly vomit at the idea of driving an OHV-powered car...especially one with only a four speed tranny.

As far as the Outlook, I believe they just need to give the Piano Black finish to the center stack. I really liked it in the Sky, and would love to see that trait spread through the Saturn line-up.

I like these ideas so.....

Here is what the interior would look like with piano black and aluminum trim:

Posted Image

definite definite improvement. the wood trim is bad and does not belong. the piano black would cover the entire faces of the radio and HVAC controls as croc mentioned.

In Chris's chop, I'd go so far as to say to carry the piano black finish up top to the vent surround, only make it a continuous waterfall-like thing, ala Sky.  And the same for the Outlook interior.

I like that idea as well.

Chris, if you have time could you possibly chop the all the controls to be piano black and also a version with the area around the vents piano black?

I couldn't agree more with the issue of the wheels and also the issue on the interior trim needing a brushed aluminum option with piano black bezels. I was confused for the longest time as to why the production car just didn't have the interior pop like the show car did. Once I finally found my brochure of the show car it struck me that the interior color and material combinations were so much better. The brown leather looked great but it was broken up by brushed aluminum trim pieces between it and the black soft touch plastic pieces. Take a look at some show car interiors vs the production interiors and you'll see what I mean.

Autoblog posted their own pictures, mostly interior shots, of the Aura on their site. They took pictures of an Aura interior not seen in GM's own photos and, IMO, it looks a lot better than the interior we've all already seen. It's a 2 tone interior with wood trim. I'm not of fan of GM's interior grey, but with another color to offset it, it looks fine. And for some reason, I don't find the wood trim overwhelming like I did before. Overall, the interior is not class leading but it's competive with it's segement. I hated the Aura's interior after seeing GM's press photos, but now find it perfectly fine and somewhat attractive. I still want to see what the aluminum trim interior looks like.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/04/13/new-yor...a-in-the-metal/

Mr. Lutz:

The Aura has to be competitive in every way to the Camry,Accord and now the Sonata.

GM has to look at the list of standard and optional equipment including safety equipment offered on both vehicles and GM should match and or exceed their list; not offer less for more money!

The Aura was a great concept that has arrived with ho hum reactions. Where's the spirit of the concept?

The fans of GM keep waiting to see if GM will give us a vehicle that we can put in front of our import loving friends and brag about it without apologizing for short falls whether it is quality, resale value, standard equipment or styling.

Where is that vehicle Mr. Lutz and I will give you that the Vette is the only exception to the rule.

I understand we havent seen all the Aura has to give yet but I would like to see, the redline model with the fender flares larger and the center exhaust like the concept car. Also I would like the car to cost around 24 k with the 270 hp GTP drivetrain from the g6. Also some nicer rim choices for the whole model line up I thought the production cars rims sucked. The interior I thought was nice maybe the color schemes could be improved. I will be in the market for a car just like this one I just hope the pricing is reasonable, Mr Lutz said astonishing value now show me that and I will open my check book.

Do we know if they already plan to offer aluminum-like trim on the Aura?

I don't really disagree with any of the suggestions here, especially the piano black finish on the controls. I think it's an excellent styling trait for Saturn to adopt. However, I wouldn't go as far as putting it around the center air vents. I think that would distract too much from the flow of the interior and look tacky. It looks better with the air vents blending in with the top of the dash.

I'm not entirely against the wood trim being available. I want to see how it looks in person... As for 'fit-n-finish' comments, don't forget this is a pre-production vehicle.

just my :twocents:

I won't get into the interior as I think you guys have pretty much covered that.

However, I would like the see the 3.6 V-6 available with a 6 speed manual trans. If nothing else, I hope that's a configuration offered in a Redline version. Even Honda finally woke up and offered the Accord V6 with a manual trans!

Next nitpick, what's up with that "pump to set" emergency brake?? Just like an 1982 Chevy Celebrity... How 'bout a nice lever somewhere in the center console...like the G6 has! G6 also offers a 6 speed manual, though it needs some work...but it's a place to start!

Posted Image

Opel interior shot with manual trans and e-brake lever.

Posted Image

As for wheel suggestions, Opel appears to already have a set from a production model that should work fine for the XR.

Posted Image

Edited by BigPontiac

It would appear that the woodgrain is an option based on the Aura ordering guide (which I will post in a few), but it doesn't say what is standard.

Look under Color and Trim - page 11

XE grey interiors come standard with Silver Metallic Trim

XE tan interiors come with Wood

XR black interiors come with Silver Metallic Trim (Wood available)

XR Morocco Brown interior comes with Wood.

Please Bob... DO NOT integrate the stereo. Those whose actually want a good sound system do not want to be stuck with inferior Toyota (and others) integrated garbage.

Simply make the colors match. Leave choice to those who desire it. The piano black console is an excellent suggestion... it ties the Aura and Sky model lines together.

IMO, the stock wheels are fine, but offer wheel and tire upgrades on all versions. Again, give customers a choice.... there is no easier way to improve handling performance than a simple tire swap.

Last... 6-speed automatics across the board.

Edited by eaton53

Mr. Lutz,

You and others told us of how you(GM) would stay true to the German influence. On many takes you have but these two issues need to be addressed.

1) Piano Black for the radio and center stack controls.

While don’t think the plastic looks cheap every automaker uses it I do think Saturn needs that extra push on the presentation side to win over import buyers.

2) We would like Opel rims on this car like those offered on the Vectra and not the ugly hand me down version on the production car that debuted.

Keep the rear of the car from hanging high and with those modifications the Aura will be a winning combination.

I totally Agree

The wheels make a big difference in the cars appearance. Someoneon this site did a chop using the Vue's wheels, and even they make the car look much more appealing.

Posted Image

Now thats what I am talking about. It takes the original from rental car to one hot looking sports sedan. Please do not use the rims from the original pictures, they look horrible. Not to mention they would be a pain to clean! :thumbsup:

I saw the AURA at the NY Auto Show today (it was love at first sight), and I agree with the rims change – the 5 spokes from the SKY would look awesome on the AURA. While I don't hate the current XR rims, I think a choice would be most welcome. As far as the interior trim, I'm not crazy about the brown wood, though it is on par with what I saw in the in the competition from Asia, and much better than the painful-looking nacho-chip colored plastiwood in the Camry, which is ghastly. All I would do is offer the paino black trim in place of the wood trim. That's easy enough. Equally easy would be a gray/black wood trim, like what was offered a few years back on special edition, DVD-equipped L300s. That dark gray wood trim was called Black Cherry. I liked it so much I ordered it for my '02 L300 to replace it's standard brown wood trim. With the black leather it looks great.

Another fix I'd like to see are new cupholders, and that's easy enough to do – just redesign the plastic insert. The cupholders are too small. I could barely fit a water bottle in them. Mr. Lutz, take a look at the cupholders in the Honda Accord. They're the cars best feature, and I'd like to see that design in the AURA.

Other than that, the AURA is a solid hit, and definite competition for the big guns in this field. :thumbsup:

I totally Agree

Posted Image

Now thats what I am talking about. It takes the original from rental car to one hot looking sports sedan. Please do not use the rims from the original pictures, they look horrible. Not to mention they would be a pain to clean! :thumbsup:

Why stop there. Lets delete the rubstrip, Onstar antenna, GM badge, corner light (replaced with mirror light), color key doorhandles, tint the windows, darken the headlights...and, why not "paint it black"!

Posted Image

I saw the production Aura at the NY show yesterday, as I mentioned in another thread, and the wheels do look pretty bad.

I was surprised at just how bland the car looks, and I dont' think it was just me. There were some pretty average other cars there that if you wanted to sit in them, you had to wait for a minute or two because other people were waiting also. For the brand new Aura, this wasn't the case when I walked by it a few times.

The car was getting very little attention from what I can tell, many people were just walking right by it and barely looking, as it didn't look like anything special.

After seeing the concept Aura earlier this year at the Toronto auto show, I was highly impressed on how stand out it is but I was worried on how watered down the production model may turn out. If I was in the market for a mid-sized sedan, I would take the Aura (in concept form) over a Mazda 6, Nissan Altima or a Volkswagen Golf. Now seeing the production model in photos, I must say I am impressed with the transition from concept to production (far better than the G6's transition) but there are a few details that would make this vehicle much more stand out than any of it's competitors.

As previously stated by several members, the wheels need changing or at least have a non-cost option of some five spoke wheels available. The interior looks slapped together with the way the wood trim wraps around the radio/temperature controls, they need to flow together just like the Sky's interior does. A piano black trim could possibly welcome new GM customers as that is something the competitors do not offer. 6 speed autos with available manual transmission have to be offered. The Red line model, whenever that may come, should be more true to the concept including projector beam headlights (optional HID lighting), more aggressive front end, more unique exhaust (either outlets similar to the Sky Red Line or center exhaust from the Aura concept).

Make these changes happen and I can say that my selection for my next car has been made.

P.S. On top of those changes here are a few additions I would like to see but understand they may be unrealistic but I feel should be heard.

- More body styles:

2 door coupe

3 door hatch

5 door hatch (similar to that of the Mazda 6 and Opel Vectra 5 door models)