The Aura needs better wheels and piano black

Aside from my earlier suggestions –– another alloy wheel design (preferably a 5 or 6 spoke design) for the XR, piano black and/or dark grey wood trim, and new cupholders –– I'd like to add one more. I'd like to see wider and more substantial bodyside molding (after all, it isn't polymer anymore). I think the current design is too thin. Make it body color for the XE, and body color with a chrome accent strip for the XR.

:thumbsup:

I didn't read through this whole post, but a few of the comments will make a significant impact on pricing. Projector beams being one of them. Also, not sure it this was a manufacturing problem, but chances are the larger fender flares (which I too like better on the concept) are a 2 or 3 stamp process vs a single stamp process when fender is being stamped out during manufacturing. The less processes, the cheaper it is to make the part.

BTW, the vue redline spoked wheels look great in that chop!

Edited by BuddyP

P.S. On top of those changes here are a few additions I would like to see but understand they may be unrealistic but I feel should be heard.

- More body styles:

2 door coupe

3 door hatch

5 door hatch (similar to that of the Mazda 6 and Opel Vectra 5 door models)

I'd like to second the request for additional body styles though my choices are different:

1) Wagon

2) Opel Insignia inspired coupe with rear reverse access doors and a hatch

3) Convertible if the Astra convertible is not brought to the states and the NG G6 is RWD

I truly feel that management knows that this interior is not up to par with the competition. Like evoq said, this would have been a great vehicle two to three years ago. Now, it's strictly middle-to-mid-bottom of the pack...

Obviously there are apparent constraints concerning the interior build/materials quality of Epsioln vehicles, as demonstrated by past Epsilon vehicles and current GM introductions. It is clear that Epsilon vehicles cannot have seemingly integrated panels, which is something the Lambda/GMT900s produced. The dash/door design integration is somewhat sloppy. The connection of top dash materials has too much variance. The center console is better integrated than the G6 and Malibu, but the appearance of the materials and the noticable gap make the construction quality conceivable dated...overall I'd compare the Aura's interior design/quality to a 1998-gen Accord.

What would my suggestions be to improve this interior? Allow Piano Black as an optional trim covering...spanning over the HVAC/Radios as well as replacing the wood. Also try offering real trim as an upgrade. Ford had great success with this when they offered real aluminum trim on as an option on the Mustang....and they grossly underestimated demand. Sure, the target market is different, but I think its worth a little survey or two.

Definitely improve the materials quality of the center console - it appears much cheaper and dissimilar in grain to that of the rest of the dash.

The wheels aren't bad - but those illustrations on previous posts in this thread have wheels that look much better...try it!

As for the arguments over trim: I assume you guys conducted research on the ideal trim. Plastiluminum cheapens the interior, so thank god you didn't bother. Thanks to new technology, wood trim looks more real and can add to the overall appeal of the interior...which is what you went with. Piano Black is the trim of the moment, found on modern appliances such as cell phones and becoming increasingly popular over yesteryear's "faux aluminum." I'm sure the customers you guys researched didn't like Piano Black because it shows fingerprints too easily, requring customers to clean it more often, especially since the Aura has a trim construction spanning the length of the dash. But seriously, I'd test it out - along with something else - I think it'd seperate the car from the pack.

But what's that something else...some forthcoming trim-trend...replacing the Piano Black, the iPod White, the previous faux aluminum...Corian? Granite? Sandpaper? ;-) Stay ahead of the pack for once, take risks, but only if it looks and feels good to the touch...

And, BTW, Epsilon 2 can't come soon enough. How bout next year?

Why not offer the 5 spoke, 18" wheels offered on the Pontiac G6 Coupe on the AURA? http://www.pontiac.com/g6coupe/specs_wheels.jsp The tires on both cars are the same size, so the wheels are interchangable. Just replace the Pontiac logo with the Saturn logo.

And why doesn't the AURA offer dual-zone climate control? It seems the fixes necessary to vastly improve what is already a good car aren't all that complicated. All it takes is Mr. Lutz's OK.

So far here's my list:

1) 5 spoke wheels

2) piano black/dark gray interior trim

3) bigger and deeper cupholders

4) more substantial body side molding

5) let's add wheel opening molding, too

6) dual-zone climate control

:thumbsup:

Something like these, perhaps?

Posted Image

I thought the wheels in that Vectra pic were basically the one's on the concept but in chrome?

Also, If you don't like the ribbed plastic surround on the gauges, why not put piano black there instead? Nobody touches that much so fingerprints wouldn't be much of a problem.

Overall, I like the Aura, but it still looks to me like a MUCH improved G6.

I just saw a Saturn Commercial that had the Sky, Vue, and Aura in it. It was in the last couple seconds of the commercial where you see all three driving together, but It must've been the Concept Aura because it didn't have those 80 spoke wheels. It looked good!

The Aura is a car I've been monitoring closely, since the concept became the first Saturn ever that I fell in love with, and was on track to be a replacement to the Alero. I'm dissapointed in a few things with the production version:

-no exciting colors inside or out. Bright red, or how about a cool silvery green or blue? Nope, just the neutrals. The Silvermist Alero was a compromise, because my girlfriend got cornered into buying a new car fast when her old one was totalled, and she regrets it now.

-no good wheels. The mushroom cap/Chrysler Sebring wheels all the GM shots feature SUCK. The other two choices are slightly nicer, but nothing really stands out or fits the car. I was hoping for something like a honeycomb wheel (similar to the showcar), or even something similar to the chrome six-spokes from the Alero GLS. Also, dissapointed 17"s are standard. 16"s should be standard on the base car, as replacement cost is an issue with me for a look that is not all that different.

-lastly, foglights should be optional on the base car

Overall, it looks like a great car, just lacking in some details.

• 3 weeks later...

It needs to be the twin of the Vectra!

No more dillution!

No more watering down!

Give four-cylinder/four-cylinder turbo engines, along with V6's coupled to stickshifts!

Sooner is always preferable to later when improving a marque!