William Maley

Mercedez Benz News Going Down The Next Generation Mercedes-Benz S-Class Rabbit Hole

I just read an article that listed the most profitable vehicles in the past 20 years, the Detroit 3 pickups were the top 3, followed by the S-class. And they only listed cars sold in the USA, so I imagine this was a domestic study. Worldwide the S-class must generate huge amounts of profit. When you build the best car with the best reputation you get people to pay for it.

The base model E-class for consumer consumption is 39k Euro INCLUDING the 19% VAT. Meaning Benz only gets 33,474 euro or about 45k.

Now, taxi models and other fleet models are even less expensive than that.

So Cadillac should be able to price a base model CTS with a 4-cylinder at $45k then, and about $51k for a base V6. And then sell 250,000 per year, instead of 50,000 per year.

Police and Cab companies wouldn't want a CTS because it would fall apart. I've seen 25 year old S-classes with 300,000+ miles on them still in good condition. An American car just won't last like that, the leather will tear and crack, the body panels get gaps, transmission or engine goes, etc. Most car companies don't build a car with the thought that they want it to still be on the road a quarter century later. Mercedes might be the only one that does.

I've seen 25 year old Caprices with 300k miles on them too and you're talking to a guy that drives a 30 year old Oldsmobile as a daily driver.

Mercedes doesn't even build them like they used to. It took them 3 years to get the previous generation S-class right.

Police and Cab companies wouldn't want a CTS because it would fall apart. I've seen 25 year old S-classes with 300,000+ miles on them still in good condition. An American car just won't last like that, the leather will tear and crack, the body panels get gaps, transmission or engine goes, etc. Most car companies don't build a car with the thought that they want it to still be on the road a quarter century later. Mercedes might be the only one that does.

And how many Euro cop cars have leather that will NOT tear and crack. :nono: If they do have leather cop cars then I do know why Europe is crumbling.

It's the freaking Crown Vic of Europe!!

3972368014_dcc3356277.jpg

Ilk- looks like a big, cheap, rubbery toyota.

I see nothing wrong in that S-class interior...you ever sat in one? They are really nice...a very comfortable place.. it's a solid, well engineered car.

There are a LOT of comfortable, solid cars out there- my question is; how is the pic I linked worth anywhere near $90K?? Some really lackluster & confusing design & cheap bits in there.

• Downvote 1

The S-class is worth the price. Even after 6 years on market while everyone else has a fresher model, the S-class still outsells them all despite costing $10-30,000 more than its competitors. The S-class interior may be a simple design, but it has sophistication and the build quality and materials are outstanding. Plus the technology, the engines, and when you buy an S-class you are buying a legendary reputation.

• Upvote 1

Again- if sales were the prime determination, the camry would be the finest mid-sized car money could buy.

S-class averages $13 grand on the hood to move, obviously it's not "worth the price".

The S-class is the most profitable sedan in the world, any car maker wishes they had that. You all can hate on it, but it has set the standard for 30-40 years now, and Daimler is pretty well run and profitable company. They know what they are doing, and everyone else seems to try to copy them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm trying to imagine the $h!storm you would spew if Cadillac offered their flagship sedan to Taxi companies in order to boost profits and sales numbers.

If the s-class sells as few as it does, stickers at $90K but averages $13K less than that, AND it's the "the most profitable sedan in the world" (which I doubt), it must not cost all that much to build.

Then again, building quantities of stripper fleet models and massively overcharging for them based on the list price of regular retail models may certainly tip the profitability scale. :scratchchin:

I don't directly hate the car itself, but it's without question overpriced for what you get and the hyperbole gets chokingly thick.

Edited by balthazar