LA 2011: Cadillac XTS: Comments

William Maley

I can't tell for certain, but it seems as though the 2014 Impala has nicer exterior door mirrors than the XTS--they seem to be more sleek and smaller in pictures? The two vehicles may also look alike due to the short trunk decks--and the Impala design has done a better job of masking the "cab forward" look (or dash to cowl proportion) for some reason. I also wish Cadillac had a few more color selections for the XTS and those were unique to the Cadillac brand.

Floor pics do make the XTS look better than GM's photography (anyone else recognize a trend in that? :P), but still... Comparing floor shots of both the Impala and the XTS, the Cadillac does not look leaps and bounds better than the Chevrolet, which it should... IMHO at least.

Edited by ZL-1

To me the XTS looks like it is narrower even though it is similar is size. The hood and grill make it look taller.

With a starting price of $44,000 it should do well with the level of content it has. It also will appeal well with the livery fleets at that price. I am sure the specail edition one will be closer to $60K but the base should be a very nice car with the options it will come standard with.

I just wish GM had one name for the touch screens. MyLink, Cue and Intellalink are just going to cloud more than clairify what they have. Ford has beat Sync into everyones head like Apple did I Pod. One name for a quality system is all that is needed.

To me the XTS looks like it is narrower even though it is similar is size. The hood and grill make it look taller.

With a starting price of $44,000 it should do well with the level of content it has. It also will appeal well with the livery fleets at that price. I am sure the specail edition one will be closer to $60K but the base should be a very nice car with the options it will come standard with.

I just wish GM had one name for the touch screens. MyLink, Cue and Intellalink are just going to cloud more than clairify what they have. Ford has beat Sync into everyones head like Apple did I Pod. One name for a quality system is all that is needed.

I totall agree, they should have used MyLink for the standard on all lines of auto's.

Hyper, I also get your point you are making with RWD in snow. But as it should be, we build a better way and we should move forward. AWD is a better way and now we just need to take engineering one step farther to get it to where you get at least the same MPG on AWD as you would for RWD or FWD.

Olds thanks for the floor pics, I do think the baby boomers will really like this XTS. I know my dad cannot wait to check it out.

I have seen the XTS in person and the new color still gives me a new look and show up body features the darker color just hide.

As for AWD MPG. That is a tough nut to crack. The added weight and added drag on the drivetrain is difficult to over come. Simple physics are in play and while they have made it better it is difficult to improve either of these things unless they go electric motors at each wheel.

We have a 650 HP Lingenfleter power [The engine was built by John himself] AWD 32 Ford at work. The car was one of the first 0-60 in 3 seconds tested by Car And Driver. 0-100 was fast too but after that it drops off fast. The 1/4 mile times with the front drive shaft removed were almost a second and a half faster in RWD and two slicks. It was almost 12 sec with the driveshaft in and just cracking into the 10's with out. The drive line was a ZR1 Rear suspension and a GMC Syclone front drive with Indy style inboard Coil over suspension. Even with a car this light it still took over 150 HP just to drive the front drive system.

As for the different Link systems. Right now they are all pretty much the same. I hope with the different names they start to offer different options with each one to set them appart. Also it would entice people to the Buic, GMC and Cadillac if they offer more on their link systems.

I love our GMC touch screen. GM did a great job and it has really worked well with our phones and other items. I found I could pull up the Dish Network on my phone with my Sling device and then play the audio through the car system. I can see the many things that could be done. I am hoping GM offers free Firmware upgrades like Apple so we can add new features and adapt to new technology. With the USB port I should be able to plug in the lap top and down load in items if they have it set up that way.