William Maley

LA 2011: Cadillac XTS: Comments

Over on the Facebook thingy, people who appear to be young in their picture are liking the XTS. Of course, whether they have any money is another question. The starting price seems a bargain, which it had to be, imo.

This car might be decent, but for me it tells me GM wants Cadillac to be a volume brand, not a true luxury brand. Of course, back in the late 70's before the tragic wave of downsizing (starting in 1985) gutted Cadillac of everything it ever stood for, Cadillac was the top selling luxury brand in the USA. So maybe, just maybe, in some weird way, this volume sedan will help Cadillac return to sales glory. Shame it has to be at the expense of what some of us hope Cadillac can return to... a true, luxury, aspirational brand.

• Upvote 1

Nice to have some allies here again... but geeze, when you manage to even piss mudmonster off...

I think most of us had your back on this one. It was clear who is informed and who is not.

Hmmm a negative 2 I think I can guess who that might be. LOL!

• Upvote 1

Over on the Facebook thingy, people who appear to be young in their picture are liking the XTS. Of course, whether they have any money is another question. The starting price seems a bargain, which it had to be, imo.

This car might be decent, but for me it tells me GM wants Cadillac to be a volume brand, not a true luxury brand. Of course, back in the late 70's before the tragic wave of downsizing (starting in 1985) gutted Cadillac of everything it ever stood for, Cadillac was the top selling luxury brand in the USA. So maybe, just maybe, in some weird way, this volume sedan will help Cadillac return to sales glory. Shame it has to be at the expense of what some of us hope Cadillac can return to... a true, luxury, aspirational brand.

I have been showing people at work of various automotive likes and so far most like what they see and what is being offered on the XTS. I know this is not a scientific poll but I can say I have yet to have anyone say they did not think the car had no appeal. In fact most thought it was well styled and like the idea of the many tech features it will offer.

I would not be so fast to say that Cadillac will not return to true Luxury yet. Cadillac has yet to make a car that is best in class yet, close but still not best. Untill they can make the CTS, ATS and XTS the best in their present classes they have little hope to dominate any higher classes. They still have work to do and I expect with the ATS they will start to work to dominate the present classes and then start the move up.

Once the ATS and CTS are see as better than the others a higher more expensive car would be a hard sell. GM would see the same issues Benz has seen with the Maybach. Once in these higher classes you have to earn respect and image you can't just engineer it.

• Upvote 1

It's not at the expense of anything. There is still a RWD flagship coming. There is still a RWD 3-series fighter coming.

Well it's actually not a RWD/FWD thing for me. RWD is the preferred layout for Benz and BMW (the two brands Cadillac should be surpassing, I am not naive enough to think Rolls-Royce or Bentley are within any kind of striking distance), but as it was pointed out, the Eldorado of 1967 was the pinnacle at the time for Cadillac.

My problem with the car is its Epsilon chassis. I don't think I'd have a problem with it if it were on a FWD platform shared only with a Buick flagship car above the LaCrosse. That platform could then, in turn, be the basis for an SRX and stretched for an Escalade (exclusively AWD, no FWD on the crossovers).

I still believe the true, topline Cadillac sedan and convertible should be on a RWD platform with a lengthy wheelbase... the Ciel is dead sexy, and would be sexier with a torque-heavy diesel engine to rival Benz and BMW instead of the electric do-dad it has in concept form.

Well it's actually not a RWD/FWD thing for me. RWD is the preferred layout for Benz and BMW (the two brands Cadillac should be surpassing, I am not naive enough to think Rolls-Royce or Bentley are within any kind of striking distance), but as it was pointed out, the Eldorado of 1967 was the pinnacle at the time for Cadillac.

My problem with the car is its Epsilon chassis. I don't think I'd have a problem with it if it were on a FWD platform shared only with a Buick flagship car above the LaCrosse. That platform could then, in turn, be the basis for an SRX and stretched for an Escalade (exclusively AWD, no FWD on the crossovers).

I still believe the true, topline Cadillac sedan and convertible should be on a RWD platform with a lengthy wheelbase... the Ciel is dead sexy, and would be sexier with a torque-heavy diesel engine to rival Benz and BMW instead of the electric do-dad it has in concept form.

While the option of a diesel should be there i think it should have a Ls engine in it standard, most think of this when they think of diesels

cummins-smoke.jpg

Then again, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to try and change that...

Edited by CanadianBacon94

Finally saw the XTS today. Lets make this clear no one will confuse it with the Lacrosse. It was a nice looking car and it had a great number of people checking it out. I can see this car doing it's job for Cadillac. While it is not the home run car it offers a little old and a little new to bridge owners of the old cars to the futrure ones.

While I would still go for the ATS I saw and the XTS is not my kind of car it was much better in person than in photos.

Today the online 2013 XTS Ordering/Reference Guide from GM went online and here is the link:

http://eogld.ecomm.g...ID=12962&type=0

This probably means pricing has been set and production is starting? I wonder when the XTS will be arriving at dealerships?

Edited by ClassyEldo

Not too sure on production yet. This site is great for placing orders and I would expect production to be ready May, June or July depending on where GM is at on the set up of the production line. I may be wrong but these are the months I would expect production.

They need the dealers to order first.

The XTS is a MUST have Car for Cadillac as there are a ton of Baby Boomers who loved the DTS but wanted a modern turn of the full size sedan for their retirement. Till GM can finish mapping out their road for a complete RWD sedan family, the XTS will suffice as a stop gap measure and you would be surprised by both old and young who seem to really like the pictures of this car.

I think GM did the right thing in prepping to have a stop gap measure while they work on nailing down the ATS and Continueing to build up the CTS lines.

I don't think of the XTS as a stop gap. I see it more like what the Captiva is. This is the car Cadillac can sell in higher volumes and still not kill the value of the other cars in the line. They can move these as livery and fleet sales and still retain the value of the other cars in their line up.

The sales in this area of fleet sales really do show a profit vs the rental fleets where they are more or less dumping grounds for unsold cars.

Cadillac was even shown testing a factory built limo in camo. I think many will be suprised how much Cadillac will push this car more than just at the open market. What ever cars they sell to the old and other fans of this car will only be added profits. Now the town car is gone no one has really made a big play for the open sales there. Some say the 300 but Chrysler has never pushed it for fleet or livery markets.

I suspect it will not be long till we see one driving away the fired celeberties on Donald Trumps Show. They are using an old STS now.

As for the DTS. I have one in the garage now and I would not trade my new GMC for it. I hate that car and almost everything about it. It was an early one and the looks did imporve on the later cars but I was never a fan of it. It i just not my kind of car.

Edited by hyperv6

Yea think Livery would be happy with FWD or would they go AWD? I can see fleet sales for this also, but I still think it will be allowed to run it's course and die rather than a long ongoing run unless they change it over on the next major frame design to AWD/RWD.

Livery was happy with 1WD with all of those non-LSD RWD Town Cars running around. Livery doesn't care what wheels drive the car as long as the car is durable. That said, I don't think the XTS will hold up like the Town Car did but it also isn't a truck frame with a Rubber-Lux interior either.

Yea think Livery would be happy with FWD or would they go AWD? I can see fleet sales for this also, but I still think it will be allowed to run it's course and die rather than a long ongoing run unless they change it over on the next major frame design to AWD/RWD.

The extra cost, the extra weight and the lesser MPG would eliminate 95% of the livery sales.

AWD is one of the most over rated items and gimicks on cars today. There are some people who live where it is needed but in most metro areas if you can not get around in RWD or FWD and all the traction aids you should not be on the road. Here in the snow belt we have less AWD cars than in LA where they freak out when it rains.

I am all for the companies selling AWD as they make a lot of money on them but the reality is unless you live out in the country or have a really long drive way in a snow belt region there is no need for AWD. These cars are not made for off road like a truck.

Now on a Supercar with mega power that is hard to nail down to the ground that is another story. But even then I would want it to be an option and not required.

The extra cost, the extra weight and the lesser MPG would eliminate 95% of the livery sales.

AWD is one of the most over rated items and gimicks on cars today. There are some people who live where it is needed but in most metro areas if you can not get around in RWD or FWD and all the traction aids you should not be on the road. Here in the snow belt we have less AWD cars than in LA where they freak out when it rains.

I am all for the companies selling AWD as they make a lot of money on them but the reality is unless you live out in the country or have a really long drive way in a snow belt region there is no need for AWD. These cars are not made for off road like a truck.

Now on a Supercar with mega power that is hard to nail down to the ground that is another story. But even then I would want it to be an option and not required.

I have to disagree with you, the more I have driven AWD vehicles, the more I am sold on them for better traction in all weather. Yes in the south, they do not need it, but here in the PNW. This saves butts more often than not on a hill with a slick coating of snow/rain.

I have to disagree with you, the more I have driven AWD vehicles, the more I am sold on them for better traction in all weather. Yes in the south, they do not need it, but here in the PNW. This saves butts more often than not on a hill with a slick coating of snow/rain.

While I agree it is better traction the fast still remains in normal winter conditions on most public roads I get a rwd or FWD to go anywhere it needs to go. How many years did we get along without it with no issues?

I push snow with the front bumper on my HHR and I still get through. AWD is still not a sub for poor winter driving skills. Hell around here the only people who have issues getting around generally have nearly bald tires and who's fault is that? LOL!

The bottom line is AWD is better but not required on most public roads in the winter.

After 12 winters in Colorado, 3 in Michigan, and 6 in Ohio, I prefer a 4WD SUV for winter use, w/ proper mud & snow tires, not weak all season tires. In Phoenix, though, I can get away w/ RWD for winter..

Thanks for the pics, Oldsmoboi! (However, the car shown is beige metallic, not White Diamond color.) Although I like the XTS, after seeing the 2014 Impala shown at NYIAS, it seems there could have been a little more "embellishment" of the XTS. For example, I like the block lettering on the front door and the C-pillar emblem (carried over) on the Impala. Additional detailing like that would have gone far with the XTS's audience, for little added expense to GM. Real world photos show the XTS best!

Why does the 2013 XTS and the 2014 Impala look a lot alike from the side? Should they not look somewhat more different?