Sign in to follow this  
mustang84

Ford's New V6 Catches Up to Competitors

21 posts in this topic

Ford's new V-6 catches up to competitors

After years of revving less horsepower, torque, latest Duratec engine matches or beats rivals.

Posted Image

Ford Motor Co. will release final performance figures for its newest V-6 today that demonstrate that the new engine matches or beats those from rival automakers, an important achievement for a company that has lagged behind the competition in terms of engine power for several years.

The new 3.5-liter Duratec 35 is officially rated at 265 horsepower and 250 pound-feet of torque using regular unleaded gasoline. That is 23 more horses than General Motors Corp.'s 3.6-liter V-6 delivers in the Buick Rendezvous and 10 more than the same engine yields in the more pricey Cadillac CTS.

"It puts us right up there at the top, relative to the competition," said Tom McCarthy, program manager for the Duratec 35 project.

The final numbers also are better than Ford had expected. Last year, the company said it expected the new engine to develop 250 horsepower and 240 pound-feet of torque.

"Ford is right on with this," said John Wolkonowicz, a product analyst with Global Insight Inc. "That's what the American buyer wants."

Ford has lagged behind in the horsepower wars since Nissan Motor Co. introduced its 3.5-liter V-6 with variable valve timing and dual overhead cam technology in its 2002 Maxima.

Other automakers were quick to follow suit, but Ford continued to rely on a lackluster 3.0-liter V-6 that was no match for the horsepower of competitors' models.

The Duratec 35 will debut in the Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX and Lincoln MKZ this fall.

It also will be extended to other Ford products, including the redesigned Five Hundred sedan that will be unveiled early next year.

The new engine was supposed to makes its first appearance in the original Five Hundred when it was introduced in 2004. However, development problems delayed the program.

Those problems now have been ironed out, McCarthy said, adding that the new engine uses a much simpler design than similar engines manufactured by Ford's competitors.

"It's a very straightforward, fundamental execution of the basic," McCarthy said. "That helps costs, it helps complexity, and it helps manufacturing, and its helps quality as well."

For more click here.

Edited by mustang84

That's pretty good, though they might want to check the press release for the Outlook and Enclave.

Ford Motors will always play #2 to GM offerings. They don't have the engineering talent to build a motor as solid as our V6's (And sorely lacking in the V8 dept.)

And don't get me started on the cars and trucks as a whole :deadhorse: . Go GM :CG_all:

Edited by Domesticated

Ford Motors will always play #2 to GM offerings. They don't have the engineering talent to build a motor as solid as our V6's (And sorely lacking in the V8 dept.)

And don't get me started on the cars and trucks as a whole  :deadhorse: . Go GM  :CG_all:

Considering Ford had 6-speeds before a single Chevy had a 5-speed (and the same still holds true except the Silverado HD w/ Diesel), and considering GM's V6's are jut as yesterteck, with the exception of the new 3.6, I wouldn't say Ford is playing seond fiddle. Both companies lag behind Chysler's V8 Hemi, with the exception of the top-of-the-line new Escallade and V series. Also Chysler Group has 5-speed autos in amlost all it's cars and trucks now, while GM has only a couple 5 and 6-speeds and 4-speeds for everything else.

And don't get me started on the cars and trucks as a whole  :deadhorse: . Go GM  :CG_all:

solid as GM V6's???? maybe the 3800, but the peice of crap 2.8/3.1/3.4 that GM has been pushing (literally) can't hold a candle for reliability to the Ford 3.0l DOHC V6. GM has been putting those POS 2.8/3.1/3.4's together for almost 30 yrs (I believe they came out for those garbage X cars) and they STILL can't make an intake manifold gasket that doesn't leak coolant into the crankcase.

Both companies lag behind Chysler's V8 Hemi, with the exception of the top-of-the-line new Escallade and V series.

Forget about the LSx engines, and SC Northstars? GTO, Corvette, CTS-V with the LS2, then Z06 with the LS7. There's also the 469hp STS-v and 440hp XLR-v.

GM has the V8s covered.

Forget about the LSx engines, and SC Northstars? GTO, Corvette, CTS-V with the LS2, then Z06 with the LS7. There's also the 469hp STS-v and 440hp XLR-v.

GM has the V8s covered.

:duh: I forgot about the LSx engines. Ok my bad. lol

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "Ford" 6 speed automatic a joint venture with GM... because Ford had no luck building FWD transaxles that lasted? At least that was the reason I read about when the project was coming together...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "Ford" 6 speed automatic a joint venture with GM... because Ford had no luck building FWD transaxles that lasted?  At least that was the reason I read about when the project was coming together...

:pokeowned:

:pokeowned:

I'm not really sure how you see any ownage here, unless you mean that Ford and GM have owned themselves. Sure, Ford's had problems in the past, but it's GM that's been lagging behind in getting the new stuff into their cars.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "Ford" 6 speed automatic a joint venture with GM... because Ford had no luck building FWD transaxles that lasted?  At least that was the reason I read about when the project was coming together...

Yes, but the one in the 500 is not the GM-Ford venture. Ford bought it from a transmission supplier (I forget which, maybe Aisin). So, I guess Ford had a 6-speed first, but it wasn't actually a Ford transmission.

That's like saying BMW made great 5-speed autos when it just bought them from GM.

Considering Ford had 6-speeds before a single Chevy had a 5-speed (and the same still holds true except the Silverado HD w/ Diesel), and considering GM's V6's are jut as yesterteck, with the exception of the new 3.6, I wouldn't say Ford is playing seond fiddle. Both companies lag behind Chysler's V8 Hemi, with the exception of the top-of-the-line new Escallade and V series. Also Chysler Group has 5-speed autos in amlost all it's cars and trucks now, while GM has only a couple 5 and 6-speeds and 4-speeds for everything else.

Ford bought that 6-speed from an outside company. That 6-speed is as much a Ford product as the V-6 in the Saturn Vue is a GM product.

The current 6-speed is an outsourced box, not related to Ford or GM at all.

AISIN

lately i've been hating the driveline lash in my 500. wish i would have got the cvt. i hope the new 6 speed and engine have much higher levels of refinement.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this