Jeep News: Mopar JK8 Independence Pickup Kit For Jeep Wrangler A Big Seller

William Maley

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

December 16, 2011

For the longest time, Jeep enthusiasts have been clamoring for a Wrangler pickup. The closest Jeep has come to making this dream come true is offer a kit called JK8 Independence that changes a Wrangler Unlimited into a Wrangler Truck. And the kits are flying off the shelf.

Ward’s Auto reports that Mopar was estimating orders for the kit to be around 200-300. However, dealer orders for the kit are around 400. Mopar President Pietro Gorlier said Mopar is stepping up and getting kits sent out to dealers.

Of course, thoughts turn to whether this means a production version will come out. Gorlier said that public response will play a huge part in future of a Wrangler pickup but warned the company “needs to balance the excitement of those who are blogging with real [sales] numbers.”

But Gorlier does point out Jeep President Mike Manley has gone on record as saying that the next redesign of the Wrangler could include a pickup option, though no definite plans have been announced.

Source: Ward’s Auto

Related:

Mopar Puts JK-8 Kit Up For Sale

View full article

• 1 month later...

Is the top still removable?

At LAIAS, I drove a Wrangler Unlimited around downtown and thought it was awesome, even though dynamically it was terrible. There's just something about the wind in your hair, panoramic visibility, and sitting so high. And, surprisingly, unlike a roadster or convertible, you're not too conspicuous driving in one, since you've got the B-pillars shielding you from nosy eyes.

• 5 years later...
On 12/18/2011 at 9:52 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

why won't Jeep just build this at the factory? Why does it have to be a kit?

Six years later this is still a relevant question.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Scout said:

Just like various concepts have been teased for years. I'll believe it when they are for sale on dealer lots. 

I really hope we see this one though.

New Wrangler coming for '18, pickup version to follow in '19 is the current rumor..]but it has been rumored for years and years...given FCA's current chaos and confusion-driven leadership, I'm skeptical it will happen...I'll believe it when I see them on the lot at Spitzer Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram (my local dealer in the CLE)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

New Wrangler coming for '18, pickup version to follow in '19 is the current rumor..]but it has been rumored for years and years...given FCA's current chaos and confusion-driven leadership, I'm skeptical it will happen...I'll believe it when I see them on the lot at Spitzer Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram...

Confused indeed!

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

New Wrangler coming for '18, pickup version to follow in '19 is the current rumor..]but it has been rumored for years and years...given FCA's current chaos and confusion-driven leadership, I'm skeptical it will happen...I'll believe it when I see them on the lot at Spitzer Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram...

Truth, they have created ZERO faith in those that like their products due to the ignorance of FCA Leadership.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Truth, they have created ZERO faith in those that like their products due to the ignorance of FCA Leadership.

Sitting here on my living room couch with a Renegade brochure on my lap.  Waiting for my wife some can go out to dinner to celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary. Would love for things  to be a bit more stable and a Jeep in my driveway.

If FCA only had someone as smart and sane as my wonderful wife running it...

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Sitting here on my living room couch with a Renegade brochure on my lap.  Waiting for my wife some can go out to dinner to celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary. Would love for things  to be a bit more stable and a Jeep in my driveway.

If FCA only had someone as smart and sane as my wonderful wife running it...

Happy Anniversary! :metal: 29 years is a big deal in today's society.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Remember guys.... China. Two facts to consider.

1. Jeep is huge in China and growing fast.

2. FCA has no China sized truck to sell there.

Let's also not forget if you gave FCA the recipe for ice, they could find a way to screw it up. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They seem to be doing okay with the recipe for Jeep... But otherwise I agree.

As a Jeep fan, and 4x4 enthusiast I have given them the benefit of the doubt. I don't have to like things like the compass, liberty, renegade.  Or what they have done to the Cherokee. But I can understand why much of it was done. If however they screw with the Wrangler, and reports are they may, then I can say they have finished the molestation of Jeep. I say that as a  former Jeep Willys, Comanche, and J-200 owner, not to mention the countless Wrangler owners (Wrangler was never my thing) I know. I get the whole "Jeep" thing. I don't have faith that FCA does. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Scout said:

As a Jeep fan, and 4x4 enthusiast I have given them the benefit of the doubt. I don't have to like things like the compass, liberty, renegade.  Or what they have done to the Cherokee. But I can understand why much of it was done. If however they screw with the Wrangler, and reports are they may, then I can say they have finished the molestation of Jeep. I say that as a  former Jeep Willys, Comanche, and J-200 owner, not to mention the countless Wrangler owners (Wrangler was never my thing) I know. I get the whole "Jeep" thing. I don't have faith that FCA does. 

I actually like all of the current Jeep lineup product wise.  It is the quality control where the screwing up ice metaphor works IMHO

• Agree 1