Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chicago 2012: 2013 GMC Acadia: Comments

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

February 8, 2012

General Motors has pulled the curtain back on the new 2013 GMC Acadia today at the Chicago Auto Show.

The new Acadia gets a new front end with a more vertical nose (reminiscent of the GMC Sierra All Terrain HD), and set of diffused LED daytime running lights will be equipped on both projector and HID headlight-equipped models. Around back, the Acadia wears wrap-around glass and a redesigned spoiler.

Inside, the new Acadia gets upgraded materials: including French stitching and red ambient lighting. The Acadia also comes with an available IntelliLink infotainment system.

The 2013 Acadia more importantly comes with what GM is calling an industry first; a center airbag. The system is designed to protect drivers and front passengers in accidents where the impact is on the opposite side of the vehicle. The bag inflates from the right side of the passenger's seat and stabilizes passengers in a crash.

The 2013 Acadia arrives at your local GMC dealer later this year.

Press Release is on Page 2

2013 Acadia Evolves the Original Three-Row Crossover

Updates in design, technology and safety improve consistent seller

• New exterior design highlighted by signature LED lighting
  • Refined interior with soft-touch materials, accent stitching and ambient lighting
  • Rear vision camera standard; industry-exclusive front center air bag available

CHICAGO – GMC today unveiled the new 2013 Acadia and Acadia Denali at the Chicago Auto Show, highlighting a new exterior and safety features including the industry’s first front center air bag.

Acadia, which launched in 2007 as GMC’s first crossover and defined a segment that has since surged in popularity, had the best sales in its five-year history in 2011. The Denali model, added in mid-2010, broadened Acadia’s appeal to luxury customers with its combination of functionality and style.

“With an award-winning combination of space, capability and fuel-efficiency, Acadia epitomizes GMC’s ‘never say never’ attitude,” said Tony DiSalle, U.S. vice president of GMC Marketing. “For 2013, our engineers and designers applied that same attitude to developing the new Acadia.”

Acadia retains the interior functionality popular with families, including the SmartSlide seating system, which allows easy access to the third row for both seven- and eight-passenger seating configurations. Likewise, both the second and third row still fold flat for class-leading maximum cargo space, including the ability to carry 48-inch-wide sheet goods, such as drywall and plywood.

Confident design

First impressions are everything, and the 2013 Acadia was developed to make a strong one. A chiseled, three-bar grille sits prominently in the new, more upright design.

Diffused LED running lamps lend a premium look to the Acadia and are standard on all models, regardless of whether standard projector beam or optional HID headlamps are selected. New taillamp detailing reflects the advancements up front.

The new Acadia gets other subtle exterior design updates, including wrap-around rear glass and a new rear spoiler. New 18-, 19- and 20-inch wheel patterns complement the vehicle’s lines and stance.

The Acadia’s refined interior uses upgraded soft-touch materials, with French stitching that adds a tailored look and red ambient light flowing across the dashboard. SLT and Denali models get aluminum accents on the center console, doors and dash.

Industry-exclusive safety

The redesigned Acadia will be the first vehicle on the market with GMC’s new front center air bag system, created to protect drivers and front passengers in far-side impact crashes where the affected occupant is on the opposite, non-struck side of the vehicle. It deploys from the inboard side of the driver’s seat and positions itself between the driver and front passenger.

"While no restraint technology can address all body regions or all potential injuries, the front center air bag is designed to work with the vehicle’s other air bags and safety belts to collectively deliver an even more comprehensive occupant restraint system," said Gay Kent, GM executive director of Vehicle Safety and Crashworthiness.

Standard on the Acadia Denali and available on other models are Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert systems. These systems use radar to watch spots the driver may not be able to see – and provide visible and audible warnings to help prevent collisions.

Every Acadia model also comes standard with six months of OnStar’s Directions and Connections service, which includes automatic crash response, turn-by-turn navigation, roadside assistance, emergency services link and remote door unlocking. OnStar’s RemoteLink smartphone app allows for remote vehicle status reports, extended locking and unlocking capability, and remote start functionality to distance limited only by cellular phone service, rather than the few hundred feet of the standard key fob.

Technology leader

The 2013 Acadia’s redesigned infotainment functions feature capacitive touch controls that use electrodes to sense the conductive properties of objects such as the touch of a finger.

GMC’s Color Touch Radio – first introduced on the 2012 Terrain – is standard in the Acadia. Available IntelliLink allows customers to seamlessly integrate their smartphones for hands-free calling through the audio system and Bluetooth streaming of popular internet radio favorites Pandora and Stitcher. IntelliLink also allows voice control of USB-connected iPods for easy access to stored music.

Other audio system features include HD radio capability, a photo viewer and a standard rear-vision camera with dynamic guide lines that will display on the high-definition screen.

Mechanically, the 2013 Acadia benefits from a next-generation Hydra-Matic 6T70 six-speed automatic transmission with better shift response and improved drivability.

Acadia’s most-popular options, including rear-seat entertainment, a Dual SkyScape sunroof and a trailering package, continue to be available.

Exclusive Denali returns

Acadia’s popular top-of-the-line Denali trim represents 30 percent of sales, so a high priority was placed on adding premium amenities and refining Denali’s signature design cues. New or redesigned exterior additions include:

• New, three-dimensional polished grille
  • Redesigned lower front and rear fascias
  • Body-color lower cladding and rocker moldings, rear fascia and fender flares
  • Unique body-side moldings with chrome accents and Denali badges
  • Dual flow-through chrome exhaust outlets integrated into the rear fascia
  • 20-inch machined wheels

Inside, Denali adds standard comfort and safety features, including:

• Perforated leather seating and Denali-specific Cocoa Dune upholstery color
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel with wood inserts and power tilt/telescope
  • Aluminum trim accents
  • Heated and cooled front seats
  • Accent lighting in footwells and lighted sill plates with Denali logo
  • Color Touch navigation
  • Side Blind Zone and Rear Cross Traffic Alert
  • Dual SkyScape sunroof system, with sliding front sunroof and fixed rear section
  • All-wheel drive

“When designing the new Acadia, we considered the contemporary shapes and materials GMC buyers expect from many products they buy,” said Dave Lyon, executive director of design. “The Denali’s attention to detail is the ultimate demonstration of this approach.”

GMC capability

All 2013 GMC Acadia models are powered by a fuel-efficient, 3.6L direct injection V-6 with variable valve timing, producing 288 horsepower (215 kW) and 270 lb-ft (266 Nm) of torque. Front-wheel drive is standard, while the added control of all-wheel drive is available. Maximum towing capacity is 5,000 pounds (2268 kg).

The 2013 GMC Acadia and Acadia Denali will be built at the Lansing Delta Township Assembly Plant in Lansing, Mich. Pricing, availability and more details will be announced closer to the vehicle’s on-sale date in late 2012.

View full article

I like it much better now. At least we can say that the GMC Granite had a purpose - previewing the MCE'ed Acadia's styling direction. This gives me good feelings about the styling direction for the upcoming '14 Sierra too (and hopefully the new Canyon). The truckier look is better fitting with GMC's truck heritage; however, it may alienate female consumers now. I would seriously consider one at this point.

Oh, and I still stand by my earlier comment that the Saturn Outlook donated its shell to the Acadia's MCE (look at the wrap-around rear glass for proof).

Yeah, looks like it has the squared off wheel arches like the Outlook (current Acacia has rounded ones).

Just looking at the pics, I think I prefer the older one's nose...I like the headlights and smaller grille of the original..this is too blunt and the grille too big (as is common on too many vehicles today).

didn't go far enough, inside or out. in fact, half assed is a good term for it.

they butched the grille, but the rest of the vehicle is still soft and curvy. Where is the brash angularity of the Terrain?

Inside it doesn't appear to have an improvement in design or quality. The radio and CC is different. It's like, a lot has changed but the net effect is not much. Why does it still look dated and cheap? Why does the Terrain interior look better, more interesting, and newer?

WOW, This is an awesome upgrade with Granite touches, just take this to the Yukon Denali as it is way to Femmy for me, but this would for sure get my attention. :)

Rock on GMC :metal:

Edited by dfelt

I dislike the Terrain, plain & simple.

I do like this revamp- butched up, tightens up the GMC DNA, yet avoids what I feel are 'unpleasantries' on the Terrain.

Previous Acadia is nice, but it was a bit too rounded & dissimilar to other GMCs, IMO.

Usually you and I see eye to eye on most auto's except here I have to disagree, I like the Terrain allot and hated the old Acadia, glad to see this as their new DNA and look forward to it being put onto the Yukon and Terrain. Love the head lights.

• Disagree 1

Saturn lives! First the Vue returns as Captiva, now GMC slaps a new front fascia and dashboard onto the Outlook! What is next, the new Buick Astra?

I think they should bring back the Aura as a Century and the Sky as a Chevy...

Oh, and I still stand by my earlier comment that the Saturn Outlook donated its shell to the Acadia's MCE (look at the wrap-around rear glass for proof).

It seems that Roger might be right. GM dusted off the Outlook and made it into a new Acadia.

Here's the rear-quarter view of the Outlook:

Saturn_Outlook_XR_AWD.jpg

Here's the rear-quarter view of the Acadia, pre-2013:

2011-GMC-acadia-denali-rear-three-quarters-view.jpg

Here's the rear-quarter view of the 2013 Acadia:

Revised-2013-GMC-Acadia-back-angle.jpg

Aside from the obvious wrap-around rear glass, the rear quarter panels, liftgate, and shape of the taillights are all pretty much the same as what you got on the Saturn.

Edited by black-knight

It seems that Roger might be right. GM dusted off the Outlook and made it into a new Acadia.

Here's the rear-quarter view of the Outlook:

Saturn_Outlook_XR_AWD.jpg

Here's the rear-quarter view of the Acadia, pre-2013:

2011-GMC-acadia-denali-rear-three-quarters-view.jpg

Here's the rear-quarter view of the 2013 Acadia:

Revised-2013-GMC-Acadia-back-angle.jpg

Aside from the obvious wrap-around rear glass, the rear quarter panels, liftgate, and shape of the taillights are all pretty much the same as what you got on the Saturn.

WOW, thanks for the comparison pictures, it does have the saturn, but with better tail lights and a much better nose. :P

Still Love the new Acadia even if it is a dust off of old parts. :D

Thanks for the comparison pictures black-knight, it does appear I was correct in my statement :)

The interior seems to be all-new, or a mix of old and new (I can't say it appears to be Outlook leftovers). The dash gauge looks similar to the current Sierra's basic (work) dash.

Thanks for the comparison pictures black-knight, it does appear I was correct in my statement :)

The interior seems to be all-new, or a mix of old and new (I can't say it appears to be Outlook leftovers). The dash gauge looks similar to the current Sierra's basic (work) dash.

While it looks different, I think at least the new center IP was definitely based around the skeleton of what we had in the Outlook. For example, notice how the old Acadia's interior didn't have a pop-up storage section. The Outlook, on the other hand, had one and for 2013 the Acadia does as well. Also notice how the old Acadia had three, tall center HVAC vents and has changed over to a simple two vent design, like the Outlook. That suggests to me that perhaps the center HVAC ducts are similar to, if not the same as, the Outlook's.

The instrument cluster and IC hood is pretty much the same as the old Acadia's, though.

2013 GMC Acadia Denali interior:

27-2013-gmc-acadia.jpg

2007 Saturn Outlook interior:

163_0809_03z+2009_saturn_outlook+interior_view.jpg

2007 GMC Acadia interior:

2011-GMC-acadia-denali-interior-view1.jpg

I like it and am glad GM was using what had wilted on the vine and we ended up with such a nice Acadia. But this begs for the answer to the Zeta question once AGAIN! Why oh why has it been left to ROT as it has? If we can get this for just a short time we could have had a Chevy Zeta for at least 4 years now and have grown a market for RWD Chevy's. I say sell all bodies and ship them over offer the wagon and ute and see what the take is then you could've had a bit of an idea of what to expect. I don't know anymore with GM, other than trucks 95% of volume will be FWD and that's how they like it. I'm not so sure that Chevy will shake out to even be the kind of car I'd buy anymore at least I have time before I could get back into the hunt again. I was expecting to see Chevy pick up for Pontiac in performance and with higher end cars like the Bonneville plus get some RWD cars added. How long must we hold our breath with GM's media blackout. Kids don't want cars and GM is running the faithful off as the boomers are aging and able to buy.

• Agree 1

. I don't know anymore with GM, other than trucks 95% of volume will be FWD and that's how they like it.

That's how it's been since 1997....GM, like Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, etc is primarily a FWD appliance maker...any RWD models are just occasional low volume desserts...

• Agree 1

. I don't know anymore with GM, other than trucks 95% of volume will be FWD and that's how they like it.

That's how it's been since 1997....GM, like Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, etc is primarily a FWD appliance maker...any RWD models are just occasional low volume desserts...

+1 :thumbsup:

My advice regarding GM's commitment to beige? That's easy. Root for GM, support Chrysler.

Yeah, yeah I know. GM has to build cars for people other than enthusiasts, blah, blah, frickin' blah. Well, Chrysler found a way to build cars that not only appeal to our fellow moron--err--mainstream countrymen but also appeal to diehard petrolheads like many of us here. When you realize Chrysler is a smaller company than GM as well and somehow making it all work, you have to wonder what's GM's excuse?

Don't get me wrong. I'm still keeping a close eye on what GM does with the Alpha and Omega platforms, but I have my doubts a car like the Code 130R concept will wonder into showrooms since it's pretty much just me that likes it.

Anyway, back to the Acadia.

Edited by black-knight

Its amazing the technicalities GM attempts to use to avoid the 'rebadge' label... but its just a rebadge to me.

Well, since the Outlook is out of production, no big deal. Now if the Acacia and Outlook were in production together w/ this body, then a rebadge might be an issue...but the sheeple probably wouldn't notice or care.

• Agree 2

Its amazing the technicalities GM attempts to use to avoid the 'rebadge' label... but its just a rebadge to me.

Well, since the Outlook is out of production, no big deal. Now if the Acacia and Outlook were in production together w/ this body, then a rebadge might be an issue...but the sheeple probably wouldn't notice or care.

GM repo'd all the Saturn Outlooks on the road? Otherwise they are going to be parked next to each other at Walmart.

It's official: GM admits the refreshed Acadia's rear side glass, liftgate spoiler and glass, and rear quarter panels are all shared with the Outlook.

GM repo'd all the Saturn Outlooks on the road? Otherwise they are going to be parked next to each other at Walmart.

I wouldn't make a big deal over it. I doubt a casual buyer will notice which parts are the same.

I think GM actually did a pretty smart thing here. This was a highly effective way to overhaul the Acadia's exterior with a very small investment. The tooling was already there and the old Acadia would've looked out of place in the current GMC lineup with just a new grille. The new Acadia's styling changes borrowed from the Outlook bring it more in line with GMC's current offerings and, coincidentally, make it appear like something of a "big brother" to the Terrain (the square wheel openings and wrap-around rear glass). There's no denying the Outlook was the sharpest of the Lambda CUVs from a rear three-quarter view, either.

This also allows GM to recoup some of the costs that were spent on the Outlook's tooling. GM only sold something like a total of 70,000 Outlooks during it's four year production run. On the other hand, GM sold about 70,000 Acadias in 2007 alone, so yeah. This one's kinda obvious.

EDIT: Thinking about it, this was a very American Motors-like decision for GM.

Edited by black-knight
  • Agree 2

Well, badge-engineering is certainly nothing new to GMC--they've spent decades selling trucks and SUVs badge-engineered from Chevys...only recently have they started having any substantive differentiation.

Well, badge-engineering is certainly nothing new to GMC--they've spent decades selling trucks and SUVs badge-engineered from Chevys...only recently have they started having any substantive differentiation.

Aren't you stretching the definition of badge engineering here?

Not really...generally, the Silverado and Sierra differed only in the grille and badging..that was the case for decades up until the current generation. Trivial differences. Same w/ the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon, vans, Colorado/Canyon, S10/S15, etc.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Not really...generally, the Silverado and Sierra differed only in the grille and badging..that was the case for decades up until the current generation. Trivial differences. Same w/ the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon, vans, Colorado/Canyon, S10/S15, etc.

I was referring to your comment about Outlook and Acadia. One is defunct the other one is MCE. So what if GM used the bins to make the vehicle look better. It is not badge engineering as those two vehicles are not on sale concurrently.

• Agree 2

I think GM is doing the right thing by using successful Ideas from past vehicles to make a current product even better. Since Saturn is a dead company, I see no reason why this should bother anyone. So far everyone I have shown the new Acadia to really has liked it.

• 3 weeks later...

After sseing this in person it was better than I ever expected. The new nose works great and the back looks even better then the already great model.

This was the shocker of the auto show for me as I really did not hate this one but never expected the new one to look this much better.

I wish they would pit this nose on the Terrain as it has a little more shape to it.

I think you may get your wish.

Be sure the nose change will happen as we are on the verge of buying a loaded Terrain SLT2 for the wife. Every time I buy a car they change it the next year. LOL!

We may know by the end of the week if we are going to make the move. The dealer is close to my price and if they meet my number we will do it. I have a good price now but I want better. With his cost and hold back he should be able to meet my number. When I get time I will stop out and see how much more I can squeeze our of them. I just wish they were not selling as well and they had more GM reward money on them.

Moca Steel with Brownstone interior.and 19" wheels. Sticker is almost $36K and already have him to $31K on the phone. I hope to get just in to the $30K range before my GM Reward money. I would like to get the price to the $29K before taxes.

If this blows up I always have the Nox at the Chevy dealer that is willing to work with me on the same package. The wife likes either with the edge to the GMC. She has to drive it so we get what she wants.

The Silver and Mocha Steel are the only two colors I really like the Terrain in. I like the black too but we already have two black cars now and I don't need anymore. I just wish the Terrain had a little better MPG. I could live with the 4 but she wants the 19" wheels and you have to buy the V6. The larger wheels do look much better.