G6 convertible trunk

I got the new dealer brochure for the G6 vert, and there is no mention of the trunk, other than to say the trunklid is dual-hinged, to open normally for trunk access, and rearward for top stowage. Looking at all the pics I can find, I don't see how the trunk could open "normally"; I just don't see the dual-hingedness, to coin a term.

I did see in a Google search that the trunk volume is 5.8cu.ft. top up (for comparison, my GTP's is 15.5), and (eep) 1.8 top down. Pack soft, folks! (I wonder if my car care supplies would fit in 1.8?) Does anyone know anything, have any pics of normal trunk opening, etc.? We all remember the long thread here about the "design flaw", forcing one to raise the top to remove anything from the trunk, but I want to know more. TIA.

Pontiac seems none too eager to disclose any useful info re/ trunk space or trunk access. Hmmm... :scratchchin: FWIW, if I got one of these cars (see my other G6 thread for the level of self-loathing I'm nursing over that desire), I'd find a pair of nice leather duffels to strap into the back seat when I needed cargo space. :yes:

EDIT- oops, had the wrong cargo volume in there

Edited by Mach5GTP

Seems Pontiac trunks with 'Verts arent' worth much but speaking from experience.........

It does not matter. The cars are rock solid. I drove a G6 'Vert too and let me tell you, it's incredible. My Solstice is the same. You forget about the trunk space when driving.....I just make my passenger carry all her $h! cause mine can fit in back. :)

Seems Pontiac trunks with 'Verts arent' worth much but speaking from experience.........

It does not matter. The cars are rock solid. I drove a G6 'Vert too and let me tell you, it's incredible. My Solstice is the same. You forget about the trunk space when driving.....I just make my passenger carry all her $h! cause mine can fit in back. :)

My 04 GTO doesn't have any trunk space either. I learned how to cope with it. I'm actually looking for a G6 Vert or a Solstice here in a few months. My single man life is starting to come to an end so I have to get one more fun car for my practical car years are closing in FAST! Trunk space means NOTHING to me at this point! Oh, and I want a pinball machine too!

Cool Tony, thanks! That's how I figured it would open, kinda crazy to see your roof laying in there. :blink: More pics welcome if anyone has them!

Can't wait to hit a dealer soon to see one in person. I do still want one, sort of surprisingly. "The Transformers, more than meets the eeeyyyee..." :P

• 2 weeks later...

By way of answering my own question, here's a pic I found on eBay:

Posted Image

Very shallow indeed, and the trunk floor appears to slope upward towards the rear. You'll definitely gonna need to pack light, like shorts and T-shirts instead of jeans and jackets. I have to question the need for a roll-up cargo shade- maybe to keep your tiny amount of stuff dry if the top is wet when you fold it?

I might be inclined to lose the spare tire and carry an air compressor, Fix-a-Flat, and a AAA membership. FWIW...

In short: if you want practicality, get a sedan or a minivan. If you have a coupe, stop whining about the trunk. Coupes and convertibles are not meant for practicality in the first place.

I need capacity, so I never get coupes. Period.

B.S....

Oh great...! I'm going to buy a convertible that I can't even drive with the top down IF I want to put anything in the trunk......

It's absurd and other manufacturers don't make you compromise as much.....(Ford Mustang, Chrysler Sebring, Toyota Solara convertibles for three examples....)

The G6 hardtop is bull$h!.....a properly-engineered G6 SOFT top would have taken up far less space and been far more practical. To spend the money on engineering this type of 4-seat convertible that gives you 1.8 cu. ft. of trunk space with the top down is a prime example of GM's ineptitude.....

:banghead:

B.S....

Oh great...!  I'm going to buy a convertible that I can't even drive with the top down IF I want to put anything in the trunk......

It's absurd and other manufacturers don't make you compromise as much.....(Ford Mustang, Chrysler Sebring, Toyota Solara convertibles for three examples....)

The G6 hardtop is bull$h!.....a properly-engineered G6 SOFT top would have taken up far less space and been far more practical.  To spend the money on engineering this type of 4-seat convertible that gives you 1.8 cu. ft. of trunk space with the top down is a prime example of GM's ineptitude.....

:banghead:

I agree a softtop would be better for practicality, but there aren't many hardtops that give you a lot of trunk space. None of the cars you mentioned are hardtops.

The G6 hardtop is bull$h!.....a properly-engineered G6 SOFT top would have taken up far less space and been far more practical.  To spend the money on engineering this type of 4-seat convertible that gives you 1.8 cu. ft. of trunk space with the top down is a prime example of GM's ineptitude.....

Name me another 4-seater hardtop whose third and fourth seats are usable for more than a briefcase, a dog, or Vern Troyer.

The G6 GXP will do well. It's the cheapest hard top that actually works and does it well. American cars actually ARE good for something.

Also the G6's roof should do better over time.

it a) utilizes a much simpler folding mechanism, b) uses fewer panels

while this decreases the availible trunk space, it actually REDUCES wind noise b/'c there are only 2 "creases/joints" in the ceiling vs. 4 in the EOS/C70

I really don't trust VW to make such a tricky roof, and have it work for at least 5k miles.

By way of answering my own question, here's a pic I found on eBay:

Posted Image

Very shallow indeed, and the trunk floor appears to slope upward towards the rear.  You'll definitely gonna need to pack light, like shorts and T-shirts instead of jeans and jackets.  I have to question the need for a roll-up cargo shade- maybe to keep your tiny amount of stuff dry if the top is wet when you fold it?

I might be inclined to lose the spare tire and carry an air compressor, Fix-a-Flat, and a AAA membership.  FWIW...

The cargo "shade" is to protect your stuff from wetness when the roof goes away wet, or if it's raining and you have put it up.

Also it also limits how high your stuff can go, before it will impede the roof.

the slk/ sl have the same setup.

True, but not the EOS, which will cost <$30K.

Posted Image

Uh... now show a pic with the top down.... see that little space in the bottom center? Yeah, that's all you get.

Chas and I watched them demonstrate the top mechanism of the EOS at NAIAS. Being the VW lover he is, he instantly wanted one. I told him we're not getting anything like that from VW without the extended warrenty.

Uh... now show a pic with the top down.... see that little space in the bottom center? Yeah, that's all you get.

That's 7.2 cubic feet, which is enough for a large suitcase and a bag or two. It's larger than the GTO's, btw.

edit: Oh, also, the company that makes the G6's top is the same as the Eos's, Karmann.

Edited by empowah

I really don't trust VW to make such a tricky roof, and have it work for at least 5k miles.

VW doesn't make it. A company named Webasto builds the roof next to the VW assembly line. Click here and you'll see a (rather small) pic of the EOS top.

Re the G6, I think it should have the same system as the Opel Astra Twin Top: the folded top moves a few inches up in order to allow access to the cargo space.

Edited by ZL-1

I just don't get why this is such an issue for some people. I had a leBaron convertible for years that could handle a couple of grocery bags tops, with the top up or down, nad a FIAT that could handle a small wedge of cheese. I would be perfectly happy to get the retractable hardtop and to hell with the trunk space. There's a backseat. If I want to take four people and a big load of luggage, I'll rent a DTS.

I actually had this conversation at the auto show a couple of years ago when I was looking at the MR2. My friend asked me "what if you want to go away for the weekend with your boyfriend?". I asked him "when was the last time I A) went away for the weekend and B) had a boyfriend?"

:convertible::cry:

But then I remember someone here who says it doesn't and was whining about the car...

Ummmmmmmm well I don't know what to tell you...everything pivots a couple inches for access...and it's been demonstrated. People have seen it.

If you're referring to me ambiguously, well, I am not a fan of the G6 convertible, but the hardtop/lack of trunk space is the least of its issues. I would be to embarrassed to be seen driving the top down with that hideous interior on display. No. That car needs a new interior...yesterday. Styling is fine...everything is fine (more power is always good, but no problem), but that interior makes me wanna go buy a Ford.

None of the cars you mentioned are hardtops.

.....EXACTLY my point.......

It's bad enough that two-seaters like Solstice and SKY have no trunk space.....but now we've got a FOUR seat convertible with no trunk space with the top down....which is even DUMBER....

Name me another 4-seater hardtop whose third and fourth seats are usable for more than a briefcase, a dog, or Vern Troyer.

......THAT'S MY FRIGGIN POINT that EVERYONE IS MISSING

:deadhorse:

DAMMIT

SORRY but I'm so frustrated!

I'll give you another example.....the BMW 330Ci (SOFT-top) convertible that I had could seat 4 people as long as the two in front weren't total leg-room-hogs....AND had a decent amount of trunk space...WITH the top down. It was a VERY practical four-seater convertible all around......and it was DAMN quiet with the 3-layer top up...

:(

<sigh>.....my point is that GM made a big consolation in designing the G6 with a hardtop....and that could ultimately seal the deal on whether this car is successful or not....

.....a nicely-designed G6 softop (a la my previously-mentioned Mustang, Sebring, and Solara) would have been more cost-effective, more convenient with trunk space, lighter in curb weight, and more compact in design.

.....a nicely-designed G6 softop (a la my previously-mentioned Mustang, Sebring, and Solara) would have been more cost-effective, more convenient with trunk space, lighter in curb weight, and more compact in design.

But then it wouldn't have given anyone a reason to buy it over those cars. Unless it is far superior in every other way (which it's not), what reason is GM giving people to get out of their Sebring or Solara and into a G6 except that it has a hardtop?

It seems that this is the case of GM being damned if they do it and damned if they don't. If it was a soft top we'd be hearing from many "Why the hell didn't GM do something ahead of the curve for once and make the G6 and hard top!"

It seems that this is the case of GM being damned if they do it and damned if they don't. If it was a soft top we'd be hearing from many "Why the hell didn't GM do something ahead of the curve for once and make the G6 and hard top!"

Quoted for emphasis and truth.

Being the VW lover he is, he instantly wanted one.  I told him we're not getting anything like that from VW without the extended warrenty.

Look into the problems that the VW New Beetle convertible had in its first two years with its convertible top... and the NB had already been out six years.

Now consider the potential technical problems that could arise with VW folding hard top convertible during its first year of production.

Scares me to death.

Where is the uniqueness in that?

As Northstar indicated, its the frying pan or the fire. The simple fact is, no one else out there is rolling out a true 4-seater retractable hardtop with decent power at that price point.

Just because you don't think it was the best idea doesn't make it so.

Also, speaking of your last two points, the G6 'vert is shorter than both the Sebring and Solara OAL yet with a longer wheelbase than either and also weighs 50lbs less than the Chrysler and over 150lbs less than the Toyota. And just think, right now, some idiot is spending $3k more on a Sebring.

As Northstar indicated, its the frying pan or the fire. The simple fact is, no one else out there is rolling out a true 4-seater retractable hardtop with decent power at that price point.

The G6 cabrio's engine has just 4 more horsepower than the EOS's 2.0T. With a six-speed DSG, the Eos will easily outaccelerate the G6. Plus, peak torque comes at just 1800 rpm.

The G6 cabrio's engine has just 4 more horsepower than the EOS's 2.0T. With a six-speed DSG, the Eos will easily outaccelerate the G6. Plus, peak torque comes at just 1800 rpm.

I thought Eos' 2.0T only had 200hp? The G6 convertible has 217hp.

I don't think there's anything to stop GM from giving the convertible the 3.6l & 6-sp auto as an option.

Ah yes... a pavement ripping 200 ft/lbs.

Even the 3.5 has 220 something. The 3.9 has 235.

To put this in perspective, the Sebring convertible has 190 ft/lbs. The standard Jetta 2.0t weighs 100 lbs. less then a Sebring convertible. I would think the Eos's weight will be higher then a Jetta. You're going to need each and every one of those 200 ft/lbs running through each of those 6 gears to get the Eos to hustle.

Thing is, people who buy convertibles that aren't single usually have another vehicle that they use for functionality. IE, a wife or husband with an SUV/wagon type vehicle. I can buy a small, unfunctional car because the wife has a Ford Escape.