G6 convertible trunk

This is probably a stupid question, but is the Eos sold here? I've never heard of it before this thread. Though I dont like the G6 vert too much either, I think it was a missed opportunity.

It's not sold anywhere.... yet.

And now we're back to the same old topic on how the competitor's engine is better than GM's pushrod...

Sad how this topic never goes away and those import fanboys just bring it up over and over again...

God, shut up...

I was merely responding to Fly's assertion that there are no 4-seater retractable hardtops "with decent power" at that price point. The 2.0T is more than decent. And if that's not enough, there's always the 276 hp 3.6 VR6.

God, shut up...

I was merely responding to Fly's assertion that there are no 4-seater retractable hardtops "with decent power" at that price point. The 2.0T is more than decent. And if that's not enough, there's always the 276 hp 3.6 VR6.

Well.... close.

From cars.com

We in North America often get the most powerful engines offered overseas, which would be a 200-horsepower four-cylinder and a 250-hp six-cylinder.

The 138-hp diesel option is almost certain to come, too, equipped with a particulate filter for clean operation on the low-sulfur fuel we're scheduled to get in 2006. Look for six-speed-automatic and six-speed-manual transmissions.

Additionally since we already know the HF3.6 is going into the G6... it's just a restraining order away from getting Bob Lutz to put is in the G6 Cabrio also.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

God, shut up...

Calling someone to shut up on an open discussion isn't exactly mature, I suppose.

I'm just responding to what I see as well.

Calling someone to shut up on an open discussion isn't exactly mature, I suppose.

I'm just responding to what I see as well.

Well, degrading people as import fanboys isn't exactly mature either, I suppose. Especially when it's just reality. For one who is responding to what he sees... I wouldn't think you would be blind to reality, when it's only casually brought up by someone without an agenda.

To everyone's argument....

No one on here YET has convinced me just WHY a folding hardtop (on ANY car) is superior to a softtop....when you consider the massive reduction in convenience/trunk space....?

WHY is it "good" for a G6 to offer a "hard" top? Why is it unique? Is it just "wow" factor?

Looks? I haven't seen ONE folding hardtop design that looks good to me.....they never look like a true "coupe" because of cutlines, etc....and in my opinion, a nicely-designed softtop actually has eye appeal.

Quietness? Maybe that's your one advantage.....but in all the modern softop cars I've been in recently...they are amazingly quiet with their 3, 4, even 5-layer tops.

Keeping out the elements? Modern softtops are as water-tight as any other car......unless they are just badly designed.....my C6 doesn't even leak in a high-pressure car wash.....neither did the Bimmer.....

SO.....if a little extra quietness on the freeway is your only REAL advantage, I don't think it makes up for the severe lack of top-down trunk space (in G6 or ANY of the others coming out) and the added cost, weight, and complexity over a softtop derivative.

No one on here YET has convinced me just WHY a folding hardtop (on ANY car) is superior to a softtop....when you consider the massive reduction in convenience/trunk space....?

Maybe better insulation for winter in colder climates? I'm not a convertible guy, and don't know how well a modern soft top holds in heat, but I've always figured they probably don't hold it in as well...

Maybe a safety difference?

Edited by PurdueGuy

WHY is it "good" for a G6 to offer a "hard" top?  Why is it unique?  Is it just "wow" factor? 

Looks?  I haven't seen ONE folding hardtop design that looks good to me.....they never look like a true "coupe" because of cutlines, etc....and in my opinion, a nicely-designed softtop actually has eye appeal.

Quietness?  Maybe that's your one advantage.....but in all the modern softop cars I've been in recently...they are amazingly quiet with their 3, 4, even 5-layer tops. 

Keeping out the elements?  Modern softtops are as water-tight as any other car......unless they are just badly designed.....my C6 doesn't even leak in a high-pressure car wash.....neither did the Bimmer.....

SO.....if a little extra quietness on the freeway is your only REAL advantage, I don't think it makes up for the severe lack of top-down trunk space (in G6 or ANY of the others coming out) and the added cost, weight, and complexity over a softtop derivative.

You're not the only purchaser of convertibles in the country.

P.S. The G6 still weighs less than the competing ragtops. Maybe its superior engineering... :ohyeah:

P.S. The G6 still weighs less than the competing ragtops. Maybe its superior engineering... :ohyeah:

Its 3800lbs?? I would say thats a lot heavier than its competition. Thats a porky midsize car.

No one on here YET has convinced me just WHY a folding hardtop (on ANY car) is superior to a softtop....

For me, it's a couple things:

-better looks. Most soft tops looks not nearly as good as their respective coupe kin, like wearing a bad toupee. I've discovered that I like the G6 convertible's top-up looks better than the coupe's, in fact. And at highway speeds, most soft tops I see have the top material bulging upward due to air pressure, looking slightly ridiculous.

-safety, mine and my stuff's. As someone said, soft tops are just begging to get slashed by some malcontent, and for some it's but a stone's throw from slashing your top to stealing your car. In addition, I have to think a hardtop vert is safer in a rollover, as rare as they might be. Plus, in the G6's case, the rear window is huge compared to most soft tops.

-whiz-bang. Yes, I'm a tech geek, and I love the dance the top goes thru as it folds. It just speaks to me.

-longevity. While I've never owned a convertible, I've seen some old ones with faded and torn fabric, like my sister's Wrangler. A hard folding top is just easier to maintain, as far as appearance goes.

OK, let's discuss!

Well, I haven't compared the curb weights.....but the base G6 is very overweight compared to its competition (150-300lbs) so I can't imagine the convertible being LESS...???

And even if it is, a softtop G6 would be lighter than a hardtop G6 anyways.....

For me, it's a couple things:

-better looks.  Most soft tops looks not nearly as good as their respective coupe kin, like wearing a bad toupee.  I've discovered that I like the G6 convertible's top-up looks better than the coupe's, in fact.  And at highway speeds, most soft tops I see have the top material bulging upward due to air pressure, looking slightly ridiculous.

-safety, mine and my stuff's.  As someone said, soft tops are just begging to get slashed by some malcontent, and for some it's but a stone's throw from slashing your top to stealing your car.  In addition, I have to think a hardtop vert is safer in a rollover, as rare as they might be.  Plus, in the G6's case, the rear window is huge compared to most soft tops.

-whiz-bang.  Yes, I'm a tech geek, and I love the dance the top goes thru as it folds.  It just speaks to me.

-longevity.  While I've never owned a convertible, I've seen some old ones with faded and torn fabric, like my sister's Wrangler.  A hard folding top is just easier to maintain, as far as appearance goes.

OK, let's discuss!

Better looks? Okay that's subjective I'll give you that. As far as a softtop bulging, you don't see that unless #1 it's a way old car, or #2 it's seriously not been designed very well. Modern-day softtops don't have to worry about this due to the improvements in top frame designs.....

Safety? I guess if you live in a dicey area maybe.....but I've never been worried about vandalism in my softtops and (knock on wood) have never had a problem.

Longevity? Wrangler's didn't exactly have the highest-quality softtops in the marketplace.....I think modern top-material-technology has overcome any of those concerns....

Different strokes for different folks. IMHO, the few perceived advantages of a hardtop don't outweight the disadvantages in my mind......

Safety?  I guess if you live in a dicey area maybe.....but I've never been worried about vandalism in my softtops and (knock on wood) have never had a problem.

Yea, it's all about living in the ghetto. I bet when you park your car curbside in LA there is zero chance of a homeless person slashing your car looking for something valuable to pawn off for money. Yea...except that's a pretty common occurrance in LA.

Nice try...you're just sounding ridiculous defending this point after you've been pointed out some obvious pros of a hardtop.

What about a reduction of road noise? What about better driving dynamics resulting from the increased structural rigidity of having a sturdy hardtop roof versus a flimsy soft top?

The sun cannot rot your hardtop.

Get a pinprick in the soft top and you got a leak in the rain!

Hardtops aren't flammable.

Ever had debris land on you on the freeway? What about landslide debris as you're cruising PCH?

I bet the Wicked Witch of the East wished she had a hardtop over her head...

Seriously...there are so many practical advantages... :rolleyes:

Heh... Anyways, to me, a soft top is what makes a convertible, a convetible. A hard top just isn't the same. It's not as intrigueing. Not only that, I think convertibles look better without hard tops as they are designed as convertibles. A hard top just makes them look ungainly and out of proportion. Don't get me wrong, hard tops are cool and to watch one convert is simply awesome, but for me, the advantages of a soft top outweigh the advantages of a hard top. I mean, for me road noise is necessary, a light weight is necessary, safety isn't (I live in BV, enough said). :D

But yeah, the fact that the G6 is the heaviest is reason enough.

Guest Josh

The folding hard top now cheapens the technology for tomorrow.

Think next-gen and other platforms.

You have your answer.

I predict the G6 convertible will be a marketplace DUD.....

Let's revisit this in say 6 months and look at sales figures.....

I'll be more than willing to accept an "I Told You So" but somehow I don't think I'll have to worry about that.

How generic..... what does it have to sell better than? Solara convertible? Sebring Convertible? Sebring Convertible minus fleet sales?

Or does it just have to meet/exceed it's own sales goal?

I've always wanted a convertible for those occasional beautiful sunny days, but have never taken the plunge. Just not practical enough, in terms of noise (the 80% of the time when the top's up), safety and security. And, yeah, a ragtop looks great with the top down, but otherwise, it's a bad-looking toup.

The G6 vert looks stunning, and solves all the practical issues except for the trunk space. But what the heck, that's what the back seat is for!

I've always wanted a convertible for those occasional beautiful sunny days,  but have never taken the plunge.    Just not practical enough, in terms of noise (the 80% of the time when the top's up), safety and security.  And, yeah,  a ragtop looks great with the top down, but otherwise, it's a bad-looking toup.

The G6 vert looks stunning, and solves all the practical issues except for the trunk space.    But what the heck,  that's what the back seat is for!

Prime example......I drove the C6 to the mall the other day to pick up a couple of new shirts and some other stuff.....put the bags in the trunk....(with the top down.....it was a beautiful afternoon.)

Then, I went to the dry cleaners and picked up about $160 worth of dry-cleaning for myself and the sig other.....and also was able to cram all that, laying down straight as not to wrinkle, in the trunk next to the shopping bags.

Alas....if I was in the G6, all that stuff would have been in the back seat or passenger seat....with all the dry cleaning bags and shopping bags whipping in the wind....rolling around....and getting ruffed up by the wind from driving 80mph on the freeway and stuff.....and who knows if some might have blown out...????

Does anyone NOW get what I'm trying to say????

I didn't have to compromise driving my C6 with the TOP DOWN on a beautiful day just because I was out running errands....

Actually, I think it would have fit...dry cleaning lays flat, and shirts don't take up too much room... This IS the G6 we're talking about, not the Solstice. In fact, who don't you bitch about the Solstice, since it is a soft top with no trunk space and NO back seat?

Pontiac: Impractical Excitement

I'm a huge fan of the G6 'vert (it looks better than the coupe IMO). I just hope it's botched release hasn't turned too many potential buyers away.

Actually, I think it would have fit...dry cleaning lays flat, and shirts don't take up too much room...  This IS the G6 we're talking about, not the Solstice.  In fact, who don't you bitch about the Solstice, since it is a soft top with no trunk space and NO back seat?

Pontiac: Impractical Excitement

Oh, I have bitched about the Solstice....it's one of my major gripes because Mazda HAS been able to provide adequate trunk space in a package that's about the same size.

But as far as the G6, there's NO way 1.8cu ft (G6's trunk space per Pontiac with the top down) would have held all that I was carrying.....the clothes themselves, piled up, were at least a foot thick, and that's not counting the shopping bags.....and the C6 trunk was pretty full....and it's alot bigger than 1.8cu ft.

I would not mind GM (or Volvo, or VW) doing the hardtop if they didn't sacrifice so much usability for what, IMHO, are minor-league advantages in the whole scheme of things.

Just look at XLR.....it suffers hugely in comparison to its platform mate (and softop-equipped) C6 convertible......have you ever compared the trunks of the two cars? I have....XLR has like no trunk with the top stowed.....(and no back seat to carry bags and stuff.)

OK the clothes piled up a foot thick? You just said in your description you bought a few shirts...a few shirts to me is like no more than 4 or 5.

Also, a lot of these cars are pretty niche...meaning they aren't meant to be the primary vehicle in a household. Meaning if you need to haul stuff you get the Tahoe out.

ETA: the Sebring has a pretty hard-to-use trunk as well with the drop down ceiling.

Edited by Croc

OK the clothes piled up a foot thick?  You just said in your description you bought a few shirts...a few shirts to me is like no more than 4 or 5.

Also, a lot of these cars are pretty niche...meaning they aren't meant to be the primary vehicle in a household.  Meaning if you need to haul stuff you get the Tahoe out.

ETA: the Sebring has a pretty hard-to-use trunk as well with the drop down ceiling.

Re read my post Croc....I said I picked up some shirts at the mall....then went and picked up $160-worth of dry cleaning......meaning that I had ALOT of dry cleaning and all the dry cleaning laying out straight in the trunk as not to wrinkle sat about a foot thick...

My C6 isn't a primary car either Croc.....but the POINT about having a nice convertible on a sunny day is being able to get it out and DRIVE it around and enjoy it.....even if my reasons for being out-and-about is to run errands, or go shopping, etc.

I could've taken my Jeep company car to run my errands.....but why do that? It was a beautiful sunny day and I wanted to drive the convertible....and thanks to the Corvette's generous trunk room, I was able to do just that.

8)