Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GMX002 Cancelled

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...1/1003&refsect=

I said it here long ago, to much derision I recall. I used the words "dead as a doornail". And it is indeed very much dead.

(AutoNews reporting)

NEW YORK -- General Motors has canceled the vehicle that was supposed to replace the Saturn Ion and is urgently seeking an alternative.

As a result, Saturn dealers are likely to be left without an entry-level vehicle for several months next year, company officials acknowledge.

....General Motors might consider rebadging a vehicle from its overseas product portfolio, such as the Opel Astra....

Yea...oh well. Why was it cancelled if it cliniced well, was needed, GM is now "urgently" seeking an alternative? I mean it's not like the union nixed it or something...GM controlled that decision...so...any insight as to why?

Yea...oh well.  Why was it cancelled if it cliniced well, was needed, GM is now "urgently" seeking an alternative?  I mean it's not like the union nixed it or something...GM controlled that decision...so...any insight as to why?

I'm guessing it fell because of development budgets being restructured. I think the next-gen Opel Astra is a strong contender, and as disucssed in another website there are alternatives for a quick fix, notably the Brazilian Chevrolet Vectra which is Astra-based.

I'm guessing it fell because of development budgets being restructured. I think the next-gen Opel Astra is a strong contender, and as disucssed in another website there are alternatives for a quick fix, notably the Brazilian Chevrolet Vectra which is Astra-based.

Which won't help GM's domestic CAFE if not manufactured in North America.

Your knowledge is so advanced it's like having a PhD sit in a class with sixth graders.

There are three CAFE numbers. CAFE for light trucks and Import and Domestic content cars. In the case of cars both fleets must equal 27.5 mph on the EPA procedure. With the new light truck CAFE rule, CAFE becomes a little more complex because of the sliding scale foot print approach. Either way, GM might have to juggle their production to meet the 27.5 in one of the bins as you elluded to earlier.

As for my PhD - I can't remember what I had for lunch today but for some strange reason I remember this nonsense. ha ha

Edited by evok

If we can go solidly by Lutz's comments, an Ion replacement based on the Astra would be identical to the Astra, but built in the US.

When is the next-gen Astra scheduled for?

based on what i've heard from lutz, the future opel would be built in america...

it would of opel design and what not but just built and assembled here... thats what i got out of a certain speach he spoke of global products

based on what i've heard from lutz, the future opel would be built in america...

it would of opel design and what not but just built and assembled here... thats what i got out of a certain speach he spoke of global products

my understanding was that the Opels would still be built in europe, and the Saturns would be built in the US, but the products would be identical aside from some emissions details. I didn't think the Opels would be built in the US...

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...6/1003&refsect=

Saturns still will be built in North America, not Europe. GM executives aren't talking about importing and rebadging vehicles produced at Opel plants overseas, but rather making the identical cars in the United States.

I got this in an Automotive news email. But Can't Find The article.

US could get Opel cars

Exports to America possible, Lutz says

Opel cars built in Germany could be exported to the US, says General Motors Vice Chairman Robert Lutz. Lutz said 

If Its true I would think it a Strike worthy issue in 2007.

Edited by Ghost Dog

Bob Lutz:

Saturns and Opels will differ only in badge.

Obviously a slight overstatement due to emissions such.... but why shouldn't we take his word for it? It makes a lot of sense for GM to do this. Why engineer two small cars when they can engineer one and slap right proper badge for the proper country on it.

Bob Lutz:

Obviously a slight overstatement due to emissions such.... but why shouldn't we take his word for it? It makes a lot of sense for GM to do this.  Why engineer two small cars when they can engineer one and slap right proper badge for the proper country on it.

Agreed. Opel has some nice-looking products.

A disappointing confirmation, but maybe a blessing in disguise. Perhaps this has something to do with the Delta platform...be it costs, redesign timing etc...

To be honest the next ION had an interior that was already bottom of the pack...the design sucked, the materials looked cheap even in the drawing...so there's something they could really improve on. I liked the exterior, especially the side fender crease, but I think GM could make the next ION even more adventurous. The Opel Astra would be a great stopgap product if they could figure some way to get it out here. The GTC is one of the most - if not most - beautiful hatches I have ever seen & its a great drive (although I remember the unfamiliarity of RHD alot more!).

This is not disappointing to me in the least. We were told to expect this long ago and to await a different kind of replacement. It's not good that Saturn will have to soldier without a compact for a while---not good at all. GM must get the replacement out as quickly as possible. As mentioned above, the Brazilian Vectra would be ideal, until the NG Astra is ready.

This is not disappointing to me in the least. We were told to expect this long ago and to await a different kind of replacement. It's not good that Saturn will have to soldier without a compact for a while---not good at all. GM must get the replacement out as quickly as possible. As mentioned above, the Brazilian Vectra would be ideal, until the NG Astra is ready.

I still want Toni's Vectra-based Buick here... as a Buick. Let Saturn have the Astra. :)

Posted Image

It seems obivious this program is another casuality of GM's lack of cash but what is amazing is that this one got all the way to being shown to Wall St and journalists and got great reviews supposedly. For them to pull the plug with no alternative set shows how bad the situation is for GM.

It seems obivious this program is another casuality of GM's lack of cash but what is amazing is that this one got all the way to being shown to Wall St and journalists and got great reviews supposedly.  For them to pull the plug with no alternative set shows how bad the situation is for GM.

And maybe they realize that Saturn has gotten a good push with Aura,Sky,Outlook, and the upcoming Vue and that its time to work on and invest in Pontiac. A matter of priorities.

Too bad-isn't there a way to plant the exterior we were shown onto an otherwise Euro-cloned car? That prototype had a nice exterior, average/nothing-special/typical GM interior. I like the Astra, but its interior looks terrible in the models that actually sell (haven't seen cloth and vinyl like that since the early 1980's-really pitiful) but its design, while pleasant, is nothing special or daring when compared to a multitude of European rivals-it doesn't have to be Renault Megane-daring, but something beyond typical GM, but not tall and hideously ugly like the 2007 Corsa B-segment (subcompact/lower compact) car either.

BTW, nice Buick Astravectra chop Toni! That might make a nice Skyhawk! (Not my ideal, but it would work!)

Having a third compact car platform, different than Opel and Chevy/Ponti, would be a waste. And probably they wanted to kill the expense of the plastic door panels.

So, I am betting they are going to 'certify' the Opel Astra for US production, and call it "Saturn Astra".

And no doubt, they will have a stockpile of leftover Ions, to tide them over. I think they have a few unsold L300's left?

Having a third compact car platform, different than Opel and Chevy/Ponti, would be a waste. And probably they wanted to kill the expense of the plastic door panels.

So, I am betting they are going to 'certify' the Opel Astra for US production, and call it "Saturn Astra".

And no doubt, they will have a stockpile of leftover Ions, to tide them over. I think they have a few unsold L300's left?

or they'll use the leftovers and carry them into another year like what they did with the 99 breezes...called em 2000's and people still bought them

Find me an unused L300 with dvd...i'll buy it for $8000...no problem!

Edited by Ravenfreak13

That's actually HOT....!

Next-generation Skylark anyone?

Nah...it's what the Skylark should have been a decade ago.....

I know, it is sad that there is more creativity from hobbiest than people that actually get paid to make decision.

Hell there is more creativity within GM but outside of their NA operations.

This just gets frustrating because watching GM is like Chinese water torture.

It certainly has been for the last few decades, but I have hope for the future that I did not even a few years ago. I see an increasing number of bright spots poking through the dark cloud.

Somewhere in the article, Saturn's manger says "no to a re-badged Cobalt".

They should consider keeping Spring Hill open, it was a media frnzy when they were picking the site in the 80's. To close it would be another frenzy.

Pontiac said that. And look what we got:

Posted Image

Your knowledge is so advanced it's like having a PhD sit in a class with sixth graders.

LOL... Wow.... Just wow!

Anyway... IMO, this was a STUPID move unless GM can justify WHY they did it. Apparently this car was "Amazing" and GM did the same thing they always do with "Amazing" product and screw things up. I wouldn't mind seeing the Astra come over as a replacement. BUT, what if we're in the same boat as we were with the current GTO. Bringing an AGING car over that was enthusiastically received in it's home market but maybe not so well here because of it's age and general lack of competitiveness?

It certainly has been for the last few decades, but I have hope for the future that I did not even a few years ago. I see an increasing number of bright spots poking through the dark cloud.

last few 'decades.' and you're 'hopeful' because of some 'bright spots'. you are an optimist!!!

and, sadly, I'm there with you!

If the pres preview of what was supposed to be the next gen Ion was so well received by the press...why cancel it? I wanna know what it looked like...are there pictures of it anywhere?

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...?showtopic=1422

It looked great, and finally completely desirable, uncanny for a GM small car. I do think it would have been a little underwhelming by 2008 though. As it is, if this car were here today, its looks inside and out would put it at the head of its class in sales.