Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Top Gear Cars Not Sold in England

38 posts in this topic

Wow... sometimes it's just hard to tolerate the guy's sarcasm.

The Aztek is almost shameful... I still can't believe it came to production.

Wow... sometimes it's just hard to tolerate the guy's sarcasm.

Almost?!!

why do they always talk about the base models only? im sure they would want a solstice GXP...

the mustang made me laugh tho... when he said "it already is old" i was waiting for them to show a picture of a 67 and talk about how they look the same...

heres a question though... as hideous as the aztek is... were they good cars? like did they do what they were made to do? i would assume it was some kind of sports SUV like an Xterra... was it good? or was it just horrendous in general?

it as actually capable as far as crossovers are conserned..... how many crossovers have optional tents and matresses for the back? Sure it wasn't the prettiest thing on the block, but that wasn't the point.

The same exact focus group that jelped kill the F-body also brought you

the Aztek & Randezvous. Thanks GM. <_<

The Aztek is a great vehicle that, unfortunately, suffered from 2 major flaws: the typical GM low points of not enough power, mediocre interior materials (even tho I think it's fine), etc., and more seriously, a complete betrayal by it parents virtually before it was released. Instead of deflecting media and public criticism and sticking to their guns on the Aztek, playing up its strengths and utter uniqueness, GM ran home to Momma and back-pedalled on it, stopping just short of saying, "Yeah, we messed up, it's horrible, please ignore it." Virtually no Aztek publicity beyond the 2001 model year, coupled with de-conenting, crippled any chance at decent sales numbers for the entire model run. Another thing- the Versatrak AWD option was delayed by several months at the start, surely driving people to other vehicles. If they'd had the AWD at the beginning, and offered the 3800 in the GT for the missing power, it might have been a different story.

Our 01 GT is a great vehicle for our family of 3- highway fuel mileage in the low 30s, tons of interior space, great reliability, and, best of all, absolutely NO chance of mistaking it for anything else. If only GM hadn't given up on it, if only they hadn't gone all flaccid and flip-floppy on their intentions w/ the Aztek, they could have righted many of its supposed wrongs in a 2nd gen.

Looks are not everything, and anyone who can put the looks aside will agree that it's a highly flexible, afforadable, and fun vehicle. I have spoken. :word:

EDIT- British guys talking about ugly American cars? Yeah, OK guys, whatever you gotta do... :nono:

Edited by Mach5GTP

damn. we just turned 40,000 with our 05 Aztek this weekend. 20 months and 40,000 miles and only a wheel bearing replaced (wife's abuse getting out from being stuck in a snowbank/ice most likely). No gasket issues! One small recall on an ignition part or something. Tires still have a ton of tread on them (rotate your tires every 6k!). Will have to get front brakes looked at though...soon.

"Looks are not everything, and anyone who can put the looks aside will agree that it's a highly flexible, afforadable, and fun vehicle.  I have spoken. :word:"

Yeah, I can't think of another SUV that can do some of what a minivan does, has totally flexible second row seating, can seat 5 in total comfort, has nice seat fabric and gets good mileage like the aztek. It is quite visually challenged, but its done everything we've asked it too. The wife and kid love it. The tinted glass keeps from frying the kid to a crisp on long trips. Nice sporty floor shifter and handy cupholders and cooler (which we use!) We'll get 25mpg or more on trips and still be able to pack a ton of stuff for the trip. Its a very quiet vehicle on the road too, except for the mandatory vacuum cleaner growl of the 3400 which is mostly muted pretty well here compared to its application in grand ams and stuff. It easy to drive and user friendly. Easy to park and steers fairly quickly. Small turning radius!

Too bad the wrapper wasn't prettier because ours has been good to us. We'll replace it with an Enclave/Outlook or some minivan someday though.

The Aztek is a great vehicle that, unfortunately, suffered from 2 major flaws: the typical GM low points of not enough power, mediocre interior materials (even tho I think it's fine), etc., and more seriously, a complete betrayal by it parents virtually before it was released.  Instead of deflecting media and public criticism and sticking to their guns on the Aztek, playing up its strengths and utter uniqueness, GM ran home to Momma and back-pedalled on it, stopping just short of saying, "Yeah, we messed up, it's horrible, please ignore it."  Virtually no Aztek publicity beyond the 2001 model year, coupled with de-conenting, crippled any chance at decent sales numbers for the entire model run.  Another thing- the Versatrak AWD option was delayed by several months at the start, surely driving people to other vehicles.  If they'd had the AWD at the beginning, and offered the 3800 in the GT for the missing power, it might have been a different story.

Our 01 GT is a great vehicle for our family of 3- highway fuel mileage in the low 30s, tons of interior space, great reliability, and, best of all, absolutely NO chance of mistaking it for anything else.  If only GM hadn't given up on it, if only they hadn't gone all flaccid and flip-floppy on their intentions w/ the Aztek, they could have righted many of its supposed wrongs in a 2nd gen.

Looks are not everything, and anyone who can put the looks aside will agree that it's a highly flexible, afforadable, and fun vehicle.  I have spoken.   :word:

EDIT- British guys talking about ugly American cars?  Yeah, OK guys, whatever you gotta do...  :nono:

Edited by regfootball

The GXP wasn't announced back when the show ran. It was quite a while ago.

Yeah, that was before the arrival of regular Solstices and Mustangs at US dealer lots. Once Jeremy drove the 'Stang, he reckoned it was very cool.

Sorry, but Aztek > Torrent any day. Aztek would've been more of a success if it had a better engine offering and the '02's cladding from the start. I'd still buy one today.

Also, in a country where the Multipla, Proton, and most of the Renault lineup exists...man.

Yeah, that was before the arrival of regular Solstices and Mustangs at US dealer lots. Once Jeremy drove the 'Stang, he reckoned it was very cool.

Richard didn't think too much of it, other than its best characteristics were its brash attitude and straight-line speed. And of course, thats all the Mustang is really good for.

why do they always talk about the base models only? im sure they would want a solstice GXP...

the mustang made me laugh tho... when he said "it already is old" i was waiting for them to show a picture of a 67 and talk about how they look the same...

heres a question though... as hideous as the aztek is... were they good cars? like did they do what they were made to do? i would assume it was some kind of sports SUV like an Xterra... was it good? or was it just horrendous in general?

Our dealership sell Pontiacs and let me tell you, the Aztec was a GREAT car when it came to function! It was even a nice, smooth, quiet ride! When people bought them, they absolutly loved them (had great CSI numbers from Aztec buyers). What really killed the Aztec was the snowballing of bad press. I know that this board uses that excuse way too much, but in this case the nail is hit on the head. Come on, look at the Element, XB, upcoming CUBE. These did not have the tent, six pack cooler center console, removable door site tote bags, etc.. On top of that a smooth, quiet ride. If anybody has driven one and still does not like it, then at least you tried. The people I don't like are the ones who judge the book by the cover. Drive one for a while, and trhe style will grow on you.

Edited by Clownzilla

The same exact focus group that jelped kill the F-body also brought you

the Aztek & Randezvous. Thanks GM. <_<

Yeah, because the F-bodies were bringing new, younger buyers in Buick. Sorry, but yyour argument is not based in reality. The Aztek was a flop because it wasn't decladded from the start and didn't offer a better engine but the Rendezvous was a smashing success that kept Buick relevant.

The Aztek was a flop because it was the height of everything wrong in GM at the time. Focus group, design by committee, and marketing mentality over design and engineering. The Aztek kept going back and gett focus tested because people from outside the industry that were in charge at the time thought focus groups and design by committee were the greatest things under the sun. When in reality it took a design that was destinctive and powerful and made it over the top and gragarious. Not only that when you have a powerplant that is best in class and ranked consistantly on JD Powers top ten you use it where it will fit and make it as available as you can instead of sticking a smaller less powerful engine in its place because you think the consumer won't know the difference and you will just pocket the extra money.

Oh, BTW... I'm pretty sure Jeremy knows nothing about cars. At all. 170HP is SAE HP, not DIN HP that they use! DIN numbers are higher.

The GXP wasn't announced back when the show ran. It was quite a while ago.

Nor were horsepower figures announced.

Sorry, but Aztek > Torrent any day. Aztek would've been more of a success if it had a better engine offering and the '02's cladding from the start. I'd still buy one today.

Also, in a country where the Multipla, Proton, and most of the Renault lineup exists...man.

No matter WHAT you do to the styling of the Aztek and Rendezvous, the architecture will ALWAYS make them look like minivans that were restyled to look like SUVs. They even shared the same windshields and wipers that swept out to each side from the middle as the doner minivan platforms.

That's always been my main bitch about either vehicle.....the relationships of doors to greenhouse to front and rear overhangs all looked wrong for a "proper" SUV/crossover...and always looked like a minivan with "normal" rear passenger doors added on.

Plus, they were tall vehicles....that were low to the ground with minimal ground clearance....also just like a minivan.

The Aztek was a flop because it was the height of everything wrong in GM at the time.  Focus group, design by committee, and marketing mentality over design and engineering.  The Aztek kept going back and gett focus tested because people from outside the industry that were in charge at the time thought focus groups and design by committee were the greatest things under the sun.  When in reality it took a design that was destinctive and powerful and made it over the top and gragarious.  Not only that when you have a powerplant that is best in class and ranked consistantly on JD Powers top ten you use it where it will fit and make it as available as you can instead of sticking a smaller less powerful engine in its place because you think the consumer won't know the difference and you will just pocket the extra money.

You are pretty close on the money.

And, sales numbers be damned, the Rendezvous is not that much better than the Aztek....

The last Renezvous rental I had was a dreadful drive.....all floppy, floaty, squealing tires in turns, inadequate base pushrod V6, and really cheesy interior materials and fit-and-finish.

Alas....the silver gauges with the torquise numerals and pointers were a tiny bit of class in what was a pretty inelegant vehicle.

Part of the problem was that the Axtec concept car was really hot so people were expecting a lot. Especially since Chrysler did such a good job translating concept cars into production cars at that time.

Compared to the concept, the production Aztec really looked like a joke.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this