Spring/Summer Projects

Well the weather's getting nice and that means its project time.

For my car the first and foremost project is getting a/c system revamped before summer. I want air conditioning in my car. That of course means the whole dash has to come out to replace the evaporator core. Not a job I'm looking forward to doing. Most likely I'm also going to replace the heater core while I'm there. Preventative maintenance.

Not counting the heater core, it looks like this job will run $400-$500 in parts. Evaporator core, expansion valve, dryer, compressor, and probably the low pressure line. It'll basically be all-new when done.

For summer I want to replace the rear struts, as well as the sway bar links and bushings. If I can find a Special rear sway bar I'd like to swap mine out, but at this point I'll be happy with all the parts I have in good working order!

Finally, I want to refinish my wheels and get new tires. Most likely Goodyear Eagle GT high performance all-season tires.

Less of a priority but something I want to do is sand down all the surface rust on the pinch welds on the rockers. Its the only rust on the body really, and if I take care of it now it won't be a problem in the future. I'll probably either paint them with bed liner or rustolium.

There's a few small mods I want to do but they're on the bottom of the list.

For the Prizm I want to replace the brakes all the way around, replace the exhaust manifold, and take care of the rust starting on the rockers before it gets out of hand.

I'm fairly confident I'll actually get to do these this year. We'll see of course.

How about you guys?

Green SW2 in my garage - finish stripping any parts I want to keep or think I can sell, call a junker to pick it up and get half my garage back.

White SW2 (business car) - fix squeeling AC compressor, replace squeeky radiator fan, fix 2 non-working power windows, check wire that sometimes comes loose that controls the rear wiper.

Gold SC2 (project car) - replace front end suspension components, install poly bushing kit

Red SL2 - drop engine & trans in, bleed brakes, fix a couple other little things, and sell it.

Regular maintenance on the wife's SC1 and our Suburban.

i got a set of rims ive been wanting to fix up (they have some salt damage and peeling) going to strip and sand them then repaint with a two tone silver and gunmetal paint. going to look pretty good!

Photo05291458.jpg

and thanks to Dodgefan for rendering the idea i have for what the wheel will look like when i am done.

wheel.jpg

possibly going to get the front suspension replaced as well

The weather here has been fantastic, I've been working outside my shop; raking, getting rid of junk, scrapping metals, trimming trees, etc, generally making it more pleasant to be in/around.

Also straightened up & did some purging in the 'workbench isle' in the shop & ran the shop vac thru there for the first time in a bunch of years. I am 80% done outside, then it's full-bore inside, with a prime directive of purging what I don't need/want.

I think letting things go in there put a subconscious damper on me wanting to work in there on the B-59. The clutter.... :nono:

• • •

I did just put new tires on the Silverado, was nice to use the 'free money' via my GM card toward them; $500 off! :metal:

Next, it's due for it's trans service, which is on the short list.

Edited by balthazar

Since I'm buying a house, my summer will be doing "housey" things. 8) But, there is always work to be done.....

Cobalt- already waxed/detailed- getting new dexcool, new shocks/struts, hopefully both, would like to end the soft ride, and control arm bushings.

Wife's Cavalier- also detailed out, also getting new dexcool, control arm bushings, possibly controls depending if they need replacement.

My Cav-new tires. May also sit in the new garage for a while too....

My Impala needs struts but I think I'd rather have the pros handle that Maybe throw in a new serpentine belt, I think the current one is slipping a bit too much in the parking lots. I'm going to have to tighten up the drivers door lock assembly as it's rattling in the door and probably replace all the driver's side door panel clips while I'm at it.

I'm going to have to finally get around to replacing the cracked woodgrain trim around the shifter on the Regal, and reglue some of the rubber on the driver's side window switch surround/armrest (which is rubber and has separated from the door panel).

I'm going to have to finish up bringing the Dakota back to a salable standard before summer. I can't afford to keep feeding it.

Aside from the paint, I'll set about fixing minor exterior flaws, as well as the sagging headliner and some of the other interior faults. It's pretty much caught up on maintenance at this point. If I fail to get rid of it on Craigslist, I'll hand it off to Carmax.

Less of a priority but something I want to do is sand down all the surface rust on the pinch welds on the rockers. Its the only rust on the body really, and if I take care of it now it won't be a problem in the future. I'll probably either paint them with bed liner or rustolium.

If its not visible, POR15 it... then scuff it and topcoat it. It'll never think of rusting again.

Since a few of you guys are looking at refinishing some wheels, I'm curious if anyone knows someplace in the northeast where one can get OEM alloy wheels rechromed. The '99 Bonne's wheels look fine and have good rubber, but the chrome job GM did on the Bonne "Torque Stars" is abysimal on the bead, inside and back of the wheels. The chrome flakes, the aluminum becomes chalky, then the wheels leak because you cannot seal the ever-cracking chrome. I've unmounted the tires, stripped off the bad chrome and repainted the insides, but it doesn't stop the chrome from flaking further... I bought a second cheap set of identical wheels, but they also need to be stripped and rechromed.

Anyway, simply looking only for plating or chroming is not finding me anybody even slightly close to NJ/NY... and I'm sure there are companies out there. I'm also curious what the price range may be.

I'm not interested in switching to aftermarket wheels... I really like the Pontiac factory wheels, and always have... the only aftermarket wheels I'd be remotely interested in putting on the Bonneville are the TorqueThrust-M wheels... but they are for late model Mustangs... and the bolt pattern is off by about 1mm... close enough that people use Mustang wheels on W/H-bodies, but not close enough for me to drop a grand on wheels that might not fit right enough for my peace of mind.

I've heard about POR15, I may try that. I'm not quite sure. Have you used it? How difficult is it to apply to a surface under the vehicle?

I don't really know much about chroming. It seems there's a couple places in CT and a couple by NJ and some in NY. This is what Google Maps found.

http://maps.google.c...hq=chroming&z=8

If its not visible, POR15 it... then scuff it and topcoat it. It'll never think of rusting again.

Since a few of you guys are looking at refinishing some wheels, I'm curious if anyone knows someplace in the northeast where one can get OEM alloy wheels rechromed. The '99 Bonne's wheels look fine and have good rubber, but the chrome job GM did on the Bonne "Torque Stars" is abysimal on the bead, inside and back of the wheels. The chrome flakes, the aluminum becomes chalky, then the wheels leak because you cannot seal the ever-cracking chrome. I've unmounted the tires, stripped off the bad chrome and repainted the insides, but it doesn't stop the chrome from flaking further... I bought a second cheap set of identical wheels, but they also need to be stripped and rechromed.

Anyway, simply looking only for plating or chroming is not finding me anybody even slightly close to NJ/NY... and I'm sure there are companies out there. I'm also curious what the price range may be.

I'm not interested in switching to aftermarket wheels... I really like the Pontiac factory wheels, and always have... the only aftermarket wheels I'd be remotely interested in putting on the Bonneville are the TorqueThrust-M wheels... but they are for late model Mustangs... and the bolt pattern is off by about 1mm... close enough that people use Mustang wheels on W/H-bodies, but not close enough for me to drop a grand on wheels that might not fit right enough for my peace of mind.

I have two business cards from chrome platers, though both are located in PA:

*Paul's Chrome Plating, Inc., Evansville, PA www.paulschrome.com

- He's at both the GM Nat's at Carlisle in June and the AACA Fall Show in Hershey. He has been a staple at these shows for years and displays some of his work. My issue is that he's close to Pittsburgh, so what I want chromed would have to be shipped to & from.

*N.E.L Metal Restorations, Philadelphia, PA www.precisionchrome.com

- If my memory serves me right, I saw this company in October at the AACA Fall Show (Hershey). I liked the stuff they had on display, though the guy I spoke to was a bit of a jerk, Being very close to Philly was what drew me in.

I plan to eventually get a GMC hood ornament ('55-'57) chromed. I've wanted to use Paul's but since I found N.E.L.'s business and being close to Philly I may check them out. I need to get together with balthazar for a sand blasting session first though :P

Actually I think my "project is going to be finally trading in the Miata on something newer. Not sure If I am going to keep on racing...thinking FRS or GTI, not sure what I am going to do.

I've heard about POR15, I may try that. I'm not quite sure. Have you used it? How difficult is it to apply to a surface under the vehicle?

Its basically thick indestructable industrial paint. It bonds with the rust and steel. Problem is that its not UV resistant and it does not create a mirror smooth surface that would look good for shiny exterior paint. However, for underbody or interior parts... which are the most likely to rust, of course, its good. It can be thinned, from what I hear, but I imagine that might weaken it. It also can be painted over, but you have to scuff it for good adhesion.

Then there are other tricks that are not so obvious... first, its pricy... and many people use it sparingly, so saving it is important... however, it tends to bond containers closed. One of the tricks is to divide your POR15 up into small jars, place plastic wrap over the mouth and put the screw cap on. Then store it upside down. This way, you can get the container open again and the part that skims over will be on the bottom of the jar.

I bought a small sample in a jar years ago at a car show and swap meet... and used it on a few parts. It certainly held up as advertised. If doing a full-on restoration, I would certainly invest in gallons of it.

Obviously, Eastwood company has now expanded the POR15 line to include lots of specialized formulations... and there are several competitors out there... I can't comment on how they hold up. But after using plenty of spray on rust converters and seeing nothing but longterm failure, POR15 was the closest to permanent I've ever seen.

Since its thick and brushes on, I don't think it would be difficult to apply under the car. Some thin it and spray it... but you need good ventilation equipment for that... as it contains some nasty stuff. Wear gloves and try to keep it off your skin.

I don't really know much about chroming. It seems there's a couple places in CT and a couple by NJ and some in NY. This is what Google Maps found.

http://maps.google.c...hq=chroming&z=8

Yeah, many of the NJ hits didn't pan out for me in the past (I think I map'd for chrome, though.)... most of the hits actually sent the chrome jobs out... but I couldn't weasel out to who. Perfect Metal Polishing looks interesting... I'll have to give them a call.

Gave up on cars.

Building a Dalek.

tumblr_m2ue0uTeX81qg6k76o1_1280.jpg

What is a Dalek???? According to Bing, it is a mutan space alien. Not sure what the pic is of?

Summer projects, install a new 3/4 bath in the unfinished laundry room and finish the laundry room and then gut and redo the main bathroom. :P Busy remodel summer.

Edited by dfelt

- If my memory serves me right, I saw this company in October at the AACA Fall Show (Hershey). I liked the stuff they had on display, though the guy I spoke to was a bit of a jerk, Being very close to Philly was what drew me in.

Well, don't bother asking them about wheels. I got a 4th grade response to my request for a quote: "WHEELS ARE ONLY THING WE DONT DO".

What is a Dalek???? According to Bing, it is a mutan space alien. Not sure what the pic is of?

The Dalek's are one of the top antagonists for Dr. Who. EXTERMINATE!

Well, don't bother asking them about wheels. I got a 4th grade response to my request for a quote: "WHEELS ARE ONLY THING WE DONT DO".

It seems as if you got a response from the same person I talked to in October at the show :lol: Sorry they weren't of any help.

I have not heard about NEL, but Paul's has gotten enough good word-of-mouth via numerous forums, that I believe it's one of the top chrome shops in the country.

NaziJersey has just about outlawed chrome operations in the state.

I painted the entire chassis of the B-59 with POR-15. Make sure the metal has some decent texture; it doesn't like really smooth surfaces. If it is, rough it up with a grinder.

Also be wary of leaving any seams from different painting sessions. In other words, try and paint the entire area in 1 session.

I like the stuff, but if I were to do it again, I would strongly consider Rustoleum (brush). I've used much more of that, outside in the elements, and it's still really tough.

POR-15 goes on like any brush paint.

Anyone here try doing their own back on powerder coat for rims? My son would like to powder coat his rims matte black and the cost at a show is so high. Was wondering if theyhave a do it yourself kit for coating the rims and then using your own oven to bake it one rim at a time?

http://www.powderperfect.com/diy.asp

Doesn't seem cost effective to do it yourself though.

Thanks DodgeFan, your right seems unless I go into business or am at least doing small projecs all the time it is not really fesible.

http://www.powderperfect.com/diy.asp

Doesn't seem cost effective to do it yourself though.

Harbor Freight has Powder coating supplies... likely at a cost more in line with home users. Eastwood has a lot of colors and better equipment, but Eastwood stuff if higher quality and more cha-ching.

Personally, I would always DIY it, as dropping off stuff and working on some else's schedule doesn't usually work for me.

As for powder coating rims black... well, I just am not into the black rims thing... IIRC, it makes them disappear, and I might as well have black steel wheels. OTOH, I love when cars have body colored rims... even if that was a late '80s, early '90s kind of thing.

He could just buy a set of Patriot Altitude rims, they are part of a Special Edition and they're black.

Thanks Ocnblu, I had not seen this and so emailed my son to check them out. I like his latitude package he got but I know he wants the rims black so this might be a good way to go or find a local powder coater to do his rims.

Thanks again guys,