Cheers or Jeers: 20,000 Mile 1956 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

7 members have voted

1. 1. Cheers or Jeers?

• Cheers! Glad to see a classic wagon that isn't rusted/beaten/way over restored/priced
    • Jeers! Would be better if it was a 1955 or 1957 and had a real engine.

1956 PONTIAC

CHIEFTAIN 870 WAGON

ONLY 20,000.00 ACTUAL MILES

RAVEN BLACK & BOLERO RED

BLACK AND IVORY INTERIOR

PONTIAC OWNER SERVICE POLICY

ORIGINAL 316 V8

AUTOMATIC SYNCHROMESH TRANS.

LIGHTED HOOD ORNAMENT

DELUXE AM RADIO

WIDE WHITE WALLS

E-Z-EYE GLASS

BRAKE INDICATOR

FRONT & REAR BUMPER GUARDS

BEAUTIFUL STRAIGHT BODY

AND INTERIOR

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL

$(KGrHqJHJ!4E+OF+Q0tYBPz7jBLizQ~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqRHJEME-m1WUt54BPz7kWBT1Q~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqZHJEkE-jSyKcqpBPz7nEuPR!~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqRHJE0E-uglfkTfBPz7mZli4!~~60_3.JPG

Interesting rig! Greatly resembles a '55 Chevy wagon from the windshield back. In lovely shape, apparently.

I've read that tri-five Chevy and Pontiac wagons shared the rear sheetmetal and other wagony parts...note the Chevy taillight opening w/ a Pontiac-specific light housing.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Interesting rig! Greatly resembles a '55 Chevy wagon from the windshield back. In lovely shape, apparently.

I've read that tri-five Chevy and Pontiac wagons shared the rear sheetmetal and other wagony parts...note the Chevy taillight opening w/ a Pontiac-specific light housing.

The tail lights really were "phoned-in", would have looked better if they had just used the Chevy lights.

The tail lights really were "phoned-in", would have looked better if they had just used the Chevy lights.

Those taillights may have inspired the G8 taillights!

Those taillights may have inspired the G8 taillights!

Maybe. The tails on a G8 GT are pretty bad - the ones on the base car are more attractive.

G8 doesn't interest me, so if that's the justification for a thump, you get a pass. I like the late model GTO, tho.

RE the slight thumbs down on this wagon, you are entitled to yours.

I think the color scheme, povertys/rings/red rims, makes for a sharp look. I gots no problems with it, other that '56 is a bit cluttered and I'd prefer a '57.

The '55 Chevy is nice too, but I grow tired of Chevys, you know that. Doesn't mean they aren't sweet, just common.

I look down my nose a bit on the Tri-5s, but my buddy has a '56 Bel Air coupe, and whenever I go over there, I circle it and smile.

Camino, we're usually on the same page, so we can split hairs between Pontiac & Chevy and still 'agree'. :)

G8 doesn't interest me, so if that's the justification for a thump, you get a pass. I like the late model GTO, tho.

RE the slight thumbs down on this wagon, you are entitled to yours.

I think the color scheme, povertys/rings/red rims, makes for a sharp look. I gots no problems with it, other that '56 is a bit cluttered and I'd prefer a '57.

The '55 Chevy is nice too, but I grow tired of Chevys, you know that. Doesn't mean they aren't sweet, just common.

I look down my nose a bit on the Tri-5s, but my buddy has a '56 Bel Air coupe, and whenever I go over there, I circle it and smile.

Camino, we're usually on the same page, so we can split hairs between Pontiac & Chevy and still 'agree'. :)

True enough, this car just looks like the Pontiac DNA was just sort of "hung" on a Chevy design to me. Plus I like 'clean" so the Chevy wins this one for me. :)

what a gorgeous machine!

Agreed....

A much cleaner design:

post-394-0-78277700-1339332792_thumb.jpg

I'm not into the Chevy verses Pontiac thing. I see so many Chevrolets and so few Pontiacs here in the midwest....the old Pontaics are such a refreshing change.

IMO, in general, '55 is a toss-up, '56 goes to Chevy, '57 goes to Pontiac

And actually, 56 is the lesser of the three years IMHO when it comes to Chevrolet...

To be honest, very few 50s designs work for me - at least until '59.

The '55 Chevy is one of them.

Others:

Corvette (better each year through the decade generally)

Studebaker Hawk (and variants)

Some Chryco products

The rest kinda leave me cold, and Pontiac really begins for me in '59.

Lower, longer, wider really beats the bulbous, chrome-laden look for me.

IMO, in general, '55 is a toss-up, '56 goes to Chevy, '57 goes to Pontiac

Ugh... if you're talking just tail lights, ok.. but overall '57 goes to any division BUT Pontiac. I think their grills are terrible. The only '57s I dislike more than the Pontiac are the Mercury and Dodges.... but all three would be improved by a medium speed impact into a brick wall.

I do like the sweepspear on the fifities Buicks...

But overall, it's '59 and up for GM stuff.

I'm the reverse. Prewar -> about 1960, then about 1965 - Mid-70s, then 1980 - 87, then 1992 - 96 for me.

GM loses me completely from 1961 - 1965/66

My core favorite years are '59-68.

Also have a strong attraction to the '57-58s.

After that, I tend to float earlier.

The '70s stuff does VERY little for me, and most everything after that grows increasingly dreadful.

There are exceptions and qualifiers, of course.

Funny how we all have different notions of when GM was at it's design best..

I pretty much love the whole run from 1959 - 1972, the interest tapers and narrows for me at both ends of that. Just a few things here and there at both ends of the timeline.

Pretty much my range, as well... 1959 - 1974, with a secondary range of 1955 - 1958, 1975-1988, 1989-2009 for B-bods, H-bods, F-bods, GTOs, Kappas and G8s, pre-2004 Grand Prixes.