Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Has anyone seen the new XTS commercials?

The XTS is a last in a dying breed of American Luxury car. Today nearly everything is going to a global aspect.

It is a given the next CTS will be lighter or near the same weight but larger. It should handle and brake better with less weight and if they put a better interior XTS out you know the CTS will be as good or better. Lets face it the new ZL1 beat a much more powerful Shelby in Car and Driver due to the Gen III Magnetic suspension the very same type that is on the XTS and will be offered on the CTS.

For once we see a clear path for the CTS to be better than the Germans in nearly every area. The real issue is to sell it to everyone as being better.

Cadillac at this time should have little issue building a better car the hard part is changing ingrained preceptions of of the past.

• Agree 1

well... 2 cars other than XTS..... the ATS and CTS.

I'm looking forward to driving the XTS. With Magnaride, Cadillac can make the car do anything they want.

JUst have them read how the ZL1 ran the same lap times as the new Shelby even with more weight and 75 less HP. Just think what that will do to the ATS and the rest of the line. Car and Drvier pointed out how it has made a good riding car but none of the wallowing traits in the XTS.

• Agree 1

The Mustang has a solid rear axel, I would hope the Camaro can win the suspension battle there. The Camaro being heavier and less powerful makes it slower in a straight line, but obviously the Camaro beats it in the corners. So it is a win for the suspension there to overcome the power deficit. But by the same token, a GT-R can slap either of those cars around because of what it's chassis and suspension can do.

But if I were Cadillac, I'd put magnetic ride control on every single model they make.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The Mustang has a solid rear axel, I would hope the Camaro can win the suspension battle there. The Camaro being heavier and less powerful makes it slower in a straight line, but obviously the Camaro beats it in the corners. So it is a win for the suspension there to overcome the power deficit. But by the same token, a GT-R can slap either of those cars around because of what it's chassis and suspension can do.

But if I were Cadillac, I'd put magnetic ride control on every single model they make.

I agree that GM does not use Magnetic ride control enough in their car's. They could lower the cost by using it in everything and giving people quality driving machines.

Magnetic ride control is ex-pens-ive. The typical Malibu owner is not going to want to spend $300 a shock when it comes time to replace.

Right, that is why it isn't good for Chevy, but a Cadillac is supposed to be expensive.

The fact is the Camaro will lose aprox 600-700 pounds with the Alpha. It will gain power and keep the Magnetic ride.

All Cadillac cars will offer some kind of Magnetic option As of now the CTS, XTS and ATS all have an option suspension with it. I suspect at some point we will see it in the SRX too. The Trucks I have not heard any thing here.

As for the GT-R???? Why would you even mention this one with Muscle cars? It is more than suspensions as it has a lower center of gravity and is a sports car not a Pony car. The car to compare it too is the Z06 or ZR1.

Edited by hyperv6

I agree that GM does not use Magnetic ride control enough in their car's. They could lower the cost by using it in everything and giving people quality driving machines.

It will find it's way to more and more cars as time goes on. It will be like Anti Lock brakes where it will show up on the Cadillacs and Vette and as the price comes down it will find its way to other cheaper performance models in time.

I would expect to see it as an option on the coming Super Sport. The parts are already on the Cadillac and will migrate to the Lacrosse and Impala.

The key here is Ford Chrysler and many other makes really haver nothing yet like this and GM is already to stage III with this system. Ford is scrambling now to put one on the Shelby.

As for the GT-R???? Why would you even mention this one with Muscle cars? It is more than suspensions as it has a lower center of gravity and is a sports car not a Pony car. The car to compare it too is the Z06 or ZR1.

Well I didn't really mean to compare the GT-R to a Mustang or Camaro, just saying that Magnetic shocks may be good, but there are still better suspensions out there. So Cadillac might as well use them like crazy because at least it sets them apart from the mainstream cars and gives them something unique.

Well I didn't really mean to compare the GT-R to a Mustang or Camaro, just saying that Magnetic shocks may be good, but there are still better suspensions out there. So Cadillac might as well use them like crazy because at least it sets them apart from the mainstream cars and gives them something unique.

Well you did compare.

Ok what other suspension can make a 4100 pound car run lap tiimes as fast as a much lighter sports car and do it with less power?

The Camaro already has a good suspension and with the Magnetic shocks it becomes world class inspite of it over weight high center of gravity.

Cadillac is already using them and we will see more use thorugh out GM on the top models in many classes over time.

It already took the older Cadillac CTSV into the 7's at the ring. Imagine what a 800 pound lighter ATS could do with a V series engine package added to the car.

The nice thing is the Magnetic Shocks on the XTS show that they are able to provide a great ride and still give you a confident handling car vs the floaty boat. THese are not just all about max handling they also can provide a good ride and a proper luxury experience.

Well you did compare.

Ok what other suspension can make a 4100 pound car run lap tiimes as fast as a much lighter sports car and do it with less power?

The Camaro already has a good suspension and with the Magnetic shocks it becomes world class inspite of it over weight high center of gravity.

Cadillac is already using them and we will see more use thorugh out GM on the top models in many classes over time.

It already took the older Cadillac CTSV into the 7's at the ring. Imagine what a 800 pound lighter ATS could do with a V series engine package added to the car.

The nice thing is the Magnetic Shocks on the XTS show that they are able to provide a great ride and still give you a confident handling car vs the floaty boat. THese are not just all about max handling they also can provide a good ride and a proper luxury experience.

Very True, Magnetic Shocks can give a world Class ride and still allow the occasional racer to dial in for a crazy fun fling. The ability to have the suspension adjust far faster than nitrogen shocks or even traditional shocks will always give the upper hand to the magnetic ride car.

I forget, but I thought some supercar company was using magnetic ride now in their car or had their own version of what GM has created due to how fast the suspension can respond to road / race conditions.

Found it on Wiki:

Automotive and aerospace

If the shock absorbers of a vehicle's suspension are filled with magnetorheological fluid instead of plain oil, and the whole device surrounded with an electromagnet, the viscosity of the fluid, and hence the amount of damping provided by the shock absorber, can be varied depending on driver preference or the weight being carried by the vehicle - or it may be dynamically varied in order to provide stability control. This is in effect a magnetorheological damper. For example, the MagneRide active suspension system permits the damping factor to be adjusted once every millisecond in response to conditions. General Motors (in a partnership with Delphi Corporation) has developed this technology for automotive applications. It made its debut in both Cadillac (Seville STS build date on or after 1/15/2002 with RPO F55) as "Magneride" (or "MR") and Chevrolet passenger vehicles (All Corvettes made since 2003 with the F55 option code) as part of the driver selectable "Magnetic Selective Ride Control (MSRC)" system) in model year 2003. Other manufacturers have paid for the use of it in their own vehicles. As of 2007, BMW manufactures cars using their own proprietary version of this device, while Audi and Ferrari offer the MagneRide on various models.

General Motors and other automotive companies are seeking to develop a magnetorheological fluid based clutch system for push-button four wheel drive systems. This clutch system would use electromagnets to solidify the fluid which would lock the driveshaft into the drive train.

Porsche has introduced magnetorheological engine mounts in the 2010 Porsche GT3 and GT2. At high engine revolutions, the magnetorheological engine mounts get stiffer to provide a more precise gearbox shifter feel by reducing the relative motion between the power train and chassis/body.

As of September 2010, Acura (Honda) has begun an advertising campaign highlighting its use of MR technology in passenger vehicles manufactured for the 2011 model year.

Magnetorheological dampers are under development for use in military and commercial helicopter cockpit seats, as safety devices in the event of a crash. They would be used to decrease the shock delivered to a passenger's spinal column, thereby decreasing the rate of permanent injury during a crash.

Ferrari is using the GM system I love the Cadillac ad that points this out.

GM is the lead in this kind of system and not just a small lead either.

The key here is this system can make a fat man like the ZL1 lap as fast as the more powerful and lighter Shelby but also give a great ride. So GM is using it to cover their sin of weight. Just wait till the weight is gone and see what this system can provide on a lighter car.

Also you do not have to be a supercar or muscle car to use this system. It is being used on the XTS as a system that can make the car ride as well as any Cadillac but still have handling that does not leave the driver wondering what way the wheels are pointed. I think this will suprise many how Cadillac can provide a cloud like ride on a non V car but still not have the horrid handling or wallowing traits often found on cars the sacrifice handling for ride. Now they can have the ride with a very confident handling package. It may not be tuned for the ring but it will be more inline with the market today in handling.

The GM 3rd edition on the ZL1 is the fastest one yet and they have managed to find a way to demagnatize the fluid to make reactions twice as fast. If I recall the adjustment rate is in the range of every inch or inch and a half of road covered at speed. If someone remembers the exact measument of adj please correct me but it was impressive.

I thought it was 300 times a second... the distance traveled would vary by speed.

That sounds right but they also stated at something like 60 MPH in a average inch per reaction rate to put it into more relatable terms. It was pretty impressive.

This is getting closer to the Active suspension GM tried to do years ago with Lotus. Like many of their ideas like the 8 6 4 they know were it is going but just do not have all the technology yet. This should show many where the Volt may be in the future once technology catches up.

For this line of car, I think they hit the advertising on the head. This should be about luxury, ease of use and comfort. I believe they have nailed it for the demographic of Customer.

I would agree.

The CTS doesn't have the interior to challenge the German mid-sizers. CTS lives in the entry level price class and doesn't sell outside the North America either. They still have ground to make up, although I believe if they go all out they can get in the conversation with the German trio. My fear is, that they dumb down the CTS interior, so they can continue to justify the XTS's existence.

I have to disagree with your statement. The German trio have a few cars that are above the CTS with interiors that are very nice, but in the same size/price range, the current CTS is very competitive.

The CTS doesn't have the interior to challenge the German mid-sizers. CTS lives in the entry level price class and doesn't sell outside the North America either. They still have ground to make up, although I believe if they go all out they can get in the conversation with the German trio. My fear is, that they dumb down the CTS interior, so they can continue to justify the XTS's existence.

I have to disagree with your statement. The German trio have a few cars that are above the CTS with interiors that are very nice, but in the same size/price range, the current CTS is very competitive.

Well I'd agree that the CTS competes well with the G37, A4, C-class and 3-series, but the CTS gets outsold by all those except for the A4. Now the ATS is supposed to compete with those 4 cars, so that leaves the CTS as what, Acura TL and Lincoln MKZ competitor? A midsize V6 entry lux car for $36k. The CTS will have to move up market, thus have a substantial interior upgrade to compete with the A6 and E-class or Jaguar.